• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Normal Trainer Ranking (OS-XY)

PokemonBattleFanatic-

This ranking is based on both power and skill,feel free to make your own ranking but this is my personal ranking that I created.I did not include Sun and Moon because I do not watch it but you can if you want.

ORIGINAL SERIES

1.Jon
2.Harrison
3.Ash
4.Gary
5.Jackson
6.Macy
7.Ritchie

ADVANCED GENERATION
1.Tyson
2.Ash
3.Katie
4.Morrison
5.Clark

DIAMOND & PEARL
1.Tobias
2.Paul
3.Ash
4.Conway
5.Barry
6.Nando

BEST WISHES
1.Virgil
2.Dino
3.Ash
4.Trip
5.Cameron
6.Stephan
7.Bianca

XY
1.Alain
2.Ash
3.Sawyer
4.Tierno
5.Trevor

OVERALL
1.Tobias
2.Alain
3.Ash (w/GCISPS)
4.Paul
5.Ash (XY)
6.Ash (DP)
7.Virgil
8.Dino
9.Tyson
10.Sawyer
11.Ash (AG)
12.Jon
13.Harrison
14.Ash (OS)
15.Gary (OS)
16.Conway
17.Barry
18.Katie
19.Morrison
20.Ash (BW)
21.Trip
22.Cameron
23.Tierno
24.Trevor
25.Stephan
26.Jackson
27.Nando
28.Clark
29.Bianca
30.Macy
31.Ritchie

Last edited:

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
My ranking for SM:
1. Professor Kukui
2. Gladion
3. Ash
4. Kiawe/Hau(if he proves to be stronger once he debuts)
5. Lana
6.Mallow
7. Sophocles

Genaller

Silver Soul
ORIGINAL SERIES
1.Harrison
2.Ash

3. Jon
4.Gary
5.Jackson
6.Macy
7.Ritchie

It’s implied that Harrison would’ve beaten Jon if Blaziken had been able to compete and Ash pushes with Blaziken Harrison to the limit.

ADVANCED GENERATION
1.Tyson
2.Ash
3.Morrison
4.Katie
5.Clark

As much as I hate saying this Morrison > Katie given how he was able to push Ash so hard despite the match being a glorified 6 vs 4.

DIAMOND & PEARL
1.Tobias
2.Ash
3.Paul
4. Barry
5. Nando
6. Conway

Ash’s team vs Nando was considerably stronger than Ash’s team vs Conway. Ash >= Paul by portrayal and even as of DP Ash would beat Paul 6-4 if both used their best teams :p.

BEST WISHES
1.Virgil
2.Dino
3.Cameron
4.Ash
5.Trip
6.Stephan
7.Bianca

By portrayal Cameron has to be above Ash since he beat him 6-4. Sure you could say that Ash would’ve won if he had used a “better” team though by that logic Ash should be ranked first in every 1 of these lists except probably Sinnoh given the best possible teams he could have assembled at those points in time.

XY

1.Alain
2.Ash
3.Sawyer
4. Remo
5.Tierno
6.Trevor

Given how well Mega Garchomp did against MC-X in ME Act 1 coupled with the fact that Remo was a semi-finalist, it’s fairly safe to say that Remo > Tierno.

OVERALL
1. Ash (with GPICSS)
2. Alain
3. Tobias (assuming a team full of D/L lvl legendaries)

———————————— GIANT CHASM

4.Paul (best team)
5. Sawyer
6. Remo

—————— SIGNIFICANT GAP

7. Virgil
8. Dino
9. Tyson
10. Harrison
11. Jon
12. Gary (OS)

—————— SIGNIFICANT GAP

13. Tierno
14. Morrison
15. Cameron

16. Trip
17. Stephan
18. Barry
19. Trevor
20. Nando
21. Jackson
22. Katie
23. Clark
24. Macy
25. Bianca
26. Ritchie

For the overall list explanations will be on demand! This means that if any member wants an explanation for any of my relative placements, they can let me know and I’ll gladly give my justification on the matter.

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
ORIGINAL SERIES
1.Harrison
2.Ash

3. Jon
4.Gary
5.Jackson
6.Macy
7.Ritchie

It’s implied that Harrison would’ve beaten Jon if Blaziken had been able to compete and Ash pushes with Blaziken Harrison to the limit.

ADVANCED GENERATION
1.Tyson
2.Ash
3.Morrison
4.Katie
5.Clark

As much as I hate saying this Morrison > Katie given how he was able to push Ash so hard despite the match being a glorified 6 vs 4.

DIAMOND & PEARL
1.Tobias
2.Ash
3.Paul
4. Barry
5. Nando
6. Conway

Ash’s team vs Nando was considerably stronger than Ash’s team vs Conway. Ash >= Paul by portrayal and even as of DP Ash would beat Paul 6-4 if both used their best teams :p.

BEST WISHES
1.Virgil
2.Dino
3.Cameron
4.Ash
5.Trip
6.Stephan
7.Bianca

By portrayal Cameron has to be above Ash since he beat him 6-4. Sure you could say that Ash would’ve won if he had used a “better” team though by that logic Ash should be ranked first in every 1 of these lists except probably Sinnoh given the best possible teams he could have assembled at those points in time.

XY

1.Alain
2.Ash
3.Sawyer
4. Remo
5.Tierno
6.Trevor

Given how well Mega Garchomp did against MC-X in ME Act 1 coupled with the fact that Remo was a semi-finalist, it’s fairly safe to say that Remo > Tierno.

OVERALL
1. Ash (with GPICSS)
2. Alain
3. Tobias (assuming a team full of D/L lvl legendaries)

———————————— GIANT CHASM

4.Paul (best team)
5. Sawyer
6. Remo

—————— SIGNIFICANT GAP

7. Virgil
8. Dino
9. Tyson
10. Harrison
11. Jon
12. Gary (OS)

—————— SIGNIFICANT GAP

13. Tierno
14. Morrison
15. Cameron
16. Stephan
17. Barry
18. Trevor
19. Nando
20. Trip
21. Jackson
22. Katie
23. Clark
24. Macy
25. Bianca
26. Ritchie

For the overall list explanations will be on demand! This means that if any member wants an explanation for any of my relative placements, they can let me know and I’ll gladly give my justification on the matter.
Does trevor even have any feats? He got wrecked by ash's pikachu+clemont's chespin, got wrecked by ash's fletchinder, and got wrecked by alain's MCX (this one was overkill)

Genaller

Silver Soul
Does trevor even have any feats? He got wrecked by ash's pikachu+clemont's chespin, got wrecked by ash's fletchinder, and got wrecked by alain's MCX (this one was overkill)
His MC-Y had an even move clash with MC-X and his Base Zard was able to stop 1 of Alain’s Base Zard’s attacks with its own. Considering how ridiculously strong MC-X is, that automatically puts some pretty high lower bounds on MC-Y’s battle viability (by my rating system it would be at an A which still puts it 3 full letter grades below MC-X). Had MC-X overpowered MC-Y in addition to OHKing it, then yeah I would’ve put Trevor at the bottom. In addition the main point of the Furfrou trainer was to establish that a trainer good enough to get into the Kalos League has to be worth something meaning that Ash and Alain fodderising their first round opponents is meant to illustrate just how OP MC-X and A-G are rather than to illustrate that Trevor and Titus are weak.

blizzardblaze

I'd say Alain was holding back a bit when facing Trevor.

Genaller

Silver Soul
I'd say Alain was holding back a bit when facing Trevor.
He might’ve been with Base Zard’s though not with MC-X since he even says “let’s play for keeps” before MEing.

blizzardblaze

Well, I'm guessing Alain could have beat Trevor even without Mega Evolving, because it has a more competent moveset. Really Trevor? FIRE SPIN?!

Genaller

Silver Soul
Well, I'm guessing Alain could have beat Trevor even without Mega Evolving, because it has a more competent moveset. Really Trevor? FIRE SPIN?!
I’m certain he could have though he MEed because he wanted to destroy Trevor with as little effort as possible because he really didn’t care about battling anyone in the league other than Ash.

keepitsimple

site of lies
@Genaller stephan is below trip on your bw trainer ranking but he's above trip on the overall ranking? It's probably just a mistake but I'm not sure which one you think is actually stronger

Genaller

Silver Soul
@Genaller stephan is below trip on your bw trainer ranking but he's above trip on the overall ranking? It's probably just a mistake but I'm not sure which one you think is actually stronger
Lol thanks for pointing that out; I corrected it :). Trip is honestly really hard to rate. He dominated his way through the Junior Cup and was creaming Ash throughout most of their league match but then out of nowhere just looses cuz “combo move”. Honestly he deserved a proper full battle with Ash; I’m sure it would’ve at least been better than Ash vs Cameron.

blizzardblaze

Perhaps Cameron could have been the rival to go after Stephan, someone like Dino from the past for preliminaries

Ash-Pikachu

ORIGINAL SERIES
1.Harrison
2.Ash
3.Gary
4.Jon
5.Jackson
6.Macy
7.Ritchie

ADVANCED GENERATION
1.Tyson
2.Ash
3.Morrison
4. Katie
5.Clark

DIAMOND & PEARL
1.Tobias
2.Paul
3.Ash
4.Conway
5.Barry
6.Nando

BEST WISHES
1.Virgil
2.Dino
3.Cameron
4.Ash
5.Trip
6.Stephan
7.Bianca

XY
1.Alain
2.Ash
3.Sawyer
4.Remo
5.Tierno
6.Trevor

OVERALL

Tier 1
1. Ash (w/GPCISS)
2. Alain
3. Ash (XY)
4. Sawyer
5. Tobias

Tier 2

6. Ash (DP)
7. Paul
8. Remo
9. Tierno
10. Barry
11. Conway
12. Nando
13. Trevor

Barry garnered a high level of praise and respect from Paul which would be unwarranted had Barry been significantly below Paul and two his pokemon can push Ursurang, one of Paul's main powerhouses, to the brink of exhaustion. This in addition to Barry's Empoleon overpowering 2 of Paul's pokemon places Barry within the same tier.

Conway and Nando's pokemon could both compete with Ash's pokemon which are capable of competing with pokemon in the Battle Frontier placing them above league trainers Ash had battled previously. Conway edges out specifically because he had two pokemon that could sweep through two of Ash's and Ash had a significantly more narrow battle that impelled him to make substitutions and forge new strategies much more quickly compared to Nando.

Trevor's team isn't as well-rounded, but his Mega Charizard Y was used to accentuate Alain's Charizard's strength which implies that its strength must've been especially strong compared to the other powerful league competitors (such as Astrid and Remo) in order to do so, which effectively places him in Tier 2.

Tier 3

13. Virgil
14. Dino
15. Harrison
16. Ash (OS)
17. Gary (OS)
18. Tyson
19. Morrison
20. Katie
21. Jon
22 Cameron
23. Ash (BW)
24. Trip
25. Stephan

The Unova League was rather lackluster compared to intensity of the Sinnoh League and its competing pokemon, but Virgil is clearly at the top of the list as he blatantly overpowered Cameron ala Paul vs Ash (Lake Acuity) while Tyson clearly struggled to obtain his victory. Tyson is likewise below Harrison and Gary based on how powerful their aces were. The narrative when Charizard was summoned to battle Articuno suggests that Charizard was a tremendously powerful pokemon as Max kept raving about how powerful Charizard was at the Johto League and Max, May, and Ash all were impressed by how powerful his Charizard was given Charizard's strength back then. It's clear that Charizard (JL)'s strength was a significant benchmark and thus, places Harrison and Gary at a higher pedestal than Tyson.

Tier 4

The Rest

Genaller

Silver Soul
@Ash-Pikachu even if we only take Tobias’s known team into account, how would Sawyer go about beating Darkrai and Latios?

Also regarding Tyson yeah Meowth wasn’t as strong as Blastoise and especially Blaziken though his non-Ace team was stronger than either of their’s.

keepitsimple

site of lies
Lol thanks for pointing that out; I corrected it :). Trip is honestly really hard to rate. He dominated his way through the Junior Cup and was creaming Ash throughout most of their league match but then out of nowhere just looses cuz “combo move”. Honestly he deserved a proper full battle with Ash; I’m sure it would’ve at least been better than Ash vs Cameron.
Tbh I think Stephan > Trip

Going by only what we've seen, Stephan at least has two really good pokemon (Liepard and Sawk) while Trip has only one. None of Trip's other pokemon in their last appearences are anything compared to his Serperior

Genaller

Silver Soul
Tbh I think Stephan > Trip

Going by only what we've seen, Stephan at least has two really good pokemon (Liepard and Sawk) while Trip has only one. None of Trip's other pokemon in their last appearences are anything compared to his Serperior
Yeah Liepard + Sawk > Serperior. To be fair to Tirp the last time we saw Trip’s other Pokémon was during mid BW well before the Junior Cup and League, so I may have been giving Trip the befnifit of doubt though yeah best on what’s shown Stephan > Trip (in a 3 vs 3 anyways).

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
also, yeah, after last episode my (admittedly) delusions about incineroar being at least E4 tier have just been debunked, though as of now kukui is still #1 in terms of SM trainers (not that there are many others that would give him competition, SM ash is easily #2 with gladion at #3 and aside from maybe kiawe, everything below is irrelevant)

Genaller

Silver Soul
also, yeah, after last episode my (admittedly) delusions about incineroar being at least E4 tier have just been debunked, though as of now kukui is still #1 in terms of SM trainers (not that there are many others that would give him competition, SM ash is easily #2 with gladion at #3 and aside from maybe kiawe, everything below is irrelevant)
I initially thought Incineroar was Champion lvl, but SM 81 made me lower that to E4 lvl. Did something happen this episode to suggest he’s even weaker (I don’t follow SM anymore)?

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I initially thought Incineroar was Champion lvl, but SM 81 made me lower that to E4 lvl. Did something happen this episode to suggest he’s even weaker (I don’t follow SM anymore)?
he got flung by that one magmortar from sm81 (though then again, incineroar was being used by faba and was just confused about whatever was going on), and why did you stop following SM? Lemme guess, the annoying amount of fillers (I like them, but 1 month is way too much) after a 3 week break? Though anyways, yeah, either the other BR trainers are scrubs or incineroar works with the same logic as ash's pikachu

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
he got flung by that one magmortar from sm81 (though then again, incineroar was being used by faba and was just confused about whatever was going on), and why did you stop following SM? Lemme guess, the annoying amount of fillers (I like them, but 1 month is way too much) after a 3 week break? Though anyways, yeah, either the other BR trainers are scrubs or incineroar works with the same logic as ash's pikachu
Well, since it was used by Faba, being flung away by Magmortar is pardonable. Pokemon have the best viability when commanded by their own trainer, so being under the command of a completely different trainer can obviously cause problems. Back under Kukui's command, Incineroar was back to its unbeatable self.