• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire Help Thread

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
I’m pretty sure that would work. It’s been years since I’ve played ORAS, but timer balls are definitely your friends with legend battles. Dusk balls would also work if you’re playing at night. My strategy for legend battles is to use Thunder Wave as opposed to any sleeping move, because opposing mons can wake up if they fall asleep, but they can’t remove paralysis. Sing also has an accuracy level that’s slightly over half, but Thunder Wave has a higher accuracy level.
are there any good thunder wave users with decent bulk?

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
are there any good thunder wave users with decent bulk?
honestly i can’t remember. I used Tapu Koko with TW and False Swipe, but that’s gen 7 and 8.
Any legendary that you already have that could use TW would probably work.

Pokefan_1987

Most likely guess then is Mega Manectric which happens to have Intimidate (not gonna waste thunder wave on rayquaza groudon and deoxys, those are my only others)

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Sleep is a lot better in terms of capture odds. Just use something like Gardevoir with Hypnosis, it can also set up Reflect for more bulk and simply use X Accuracy to get around Hypnosis's low accuracy. Trying to catch a sleeping mon at 25% health remaining (so still in yellow) has about the same odds as trying to catch a paralysed pokémon at 1HP.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Sleep is a lot better in terms of capture odds. Just use something like Gardevoir with Hypnosis, it can also set up Reflect for more bulk and simply use X Accuracy to get around Hypnosis's low accuracy. Trying to catch a sleeping mon at 25% health remaining (so still in yellow) has about the same odds as trying to catch a paralysed pokémon at 1HP.
Talking about Sleep.. The best Catcher in game is Breloom, it learns both Spore as a Lv 40 Shroomish only. This is a 100% accurate Sleep move, that works against any non-grass/Insommnia Pokémon. It can Also Learn the False Swipe TM, which is great to reduce HP.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Breloom is also frail and quite slow though, and False Swipe is overrated. As long as you get health down to red those last few hit points barely affect catch probability anymore, there is very little difference between 4% health remaining and 1/250 HP remaining. I prefer Gardevoir as it can also Synchronize the nature.

Pokefan_1987

Mega Manectric managed to paralyze it but afterwards i used Greninja to survive the fire onslaught and used full restore to get the turn counters faster.
Unfortunately Ho-Oh ended up fainting itself. Need stronger strategy. Somehow it killed itself while used punishment and sacred fire and rand out of sunny day. does it only have 3 moves?
I even mixed between ultra balls and timer balls. But it kept breaking them, escaping and screaming at me.

It's like this is one stubborn rainbow chicken that really doesn't want to get caught. I'm really considering leaving it alone and not going after it.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
No, it also has Fire Blast. But you really should go with Sleep over Paralysis on it to prevent it from running out of PP so quickly. It only has 20 PP in total as all of its moves only have 5 PP.

Pokefan_1987

I think i have a solid strategy can confusion status ray be mixed with Yawn (Yawn is a guaranteed sleep after 1 turn) Any suggestions ?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
It can, but confusion isn't exactly ideal if you want to carefully bring it's health down without fainting it. Just stick with direct sleep infliction like Hypnosis and just buy a couple of X Accuracies so you don't have to wait one or two more turns of attacks after every wake up

Pokefan_1987

Looks like Hypnosis worked. too me 4 hypnosis barrages when it kept waking up but a ultra ball caught it.

No idea if these stats are good

HP: 176
ATK: 128
DEF: 110
S. ATK 130
S. DEF: 191
SPD: 106

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Looks like Hypnosis worked. too me 4 hypnosis barrages when it kept waking up but a ultra ball caught it.

No idea if these stats are good

HP: 176
ATK: 128
DEF: 110
S. ATK 130
S. DEF: 191
SPD: 106
IVs are 20/21 HP, 16/17 Attack, 31 Def, 31 S.Atk, 31 Sp.Def, 22/23 Speed with Calm nature. Stat-wise it's above average, no IV below 15, but an attack hindering nature like Calm is is far from ideal for Ho-Oh, if you want to use it in online battles Ho-Oh usually wants physical attacks like Sacred Fire and Brave Bird, having a nature that hinders that attack stat isn't great. Of course if you plan on transferring to Sword and Shield it doesn't matter much, you can nature mint it there. The special bulk potential on this one is great though, special defence boosting nature and perfect IV on top of its naturally high special defence, it should be able to wall most special attackers with Recover and stall them out, as long as they don't carry Rock moves.

Pokefan_1987

Just Caught Entei. Yesterday after 30 ultra balls. I'm concerned with Raikou's paralysis chances and switching to using crunch. my level 57 Gardevoir had to use a lot of full restores because Entei was faster and Fire Fang would burned her or he'd be faster and swagger me all over again. She also took heavy confusion damage if he used Swagger. I'm glad Raikou and Suicune don't have it.

Are there any good pokemon that can resist paralysis effects from moves like Thunder Fang (I'm not sure with my Gardevoir Sleep setter against Crunch) Sleep wasn't too reliable since he resisted a lot and woke up every 3 turns despite having 30% health.
I'm also suspecting those timer balls really don't work properly for me and were a big waste of cash. Is their catch rate affected by catch rate on legendaries?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Just Caught Entei. Yesterday after 30 ultra balls. I'm concerned with Raikou's paralysis chances and switching to using crunch. my level 57 Gardevoir had to use a lot of full restores because Entei was faster and Fire Fang would burned her or he'd be faster and swagger me all over again. She also took heavy confusion damage if he used Swagger. I'm glad Raikou and Suicune don't have it.

Are there any good pokemon that can resist paralysis effects from moves like Thunder Fang (I'm not sure with my Gardevoir Sleep setter against Crunch) Sleep wasn't too reliable since he resisted a lot and woke up every 3 turns despite having 30% health.
I'm also suspecting those timer balls really don't work properly for me and were a big waste of cash. Is their catch rate affected by catch rate on legendaries?
Timer balls depend on how many turns the battle has already been ongoing, from about 10 turns onwards they should get better than Ultra Balls. Doesn't matter what you're catching, that ball multiplier is the same. Aside from Master Balls, catch rate on legendaries is just always going to be low, also with Ultra Balls, they just have an inherently low catch rate.

If you get statused too much and struggle with getting outsped, just use Cheri Berries to cure paralysis and X Speed to increase Gardevoir's speed. Persim Berries and the Yellow Flute can be used to cure confusion.

Pokefan_1987

One last problem elixirs are expensive or incredibly rare and berries grow slowly. Is there a way to counteract Raikou and Suicune's pressure ability like neutralize it?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Leppa berries grow reasonably fast to get to hundreds of them quickly given how many berry patches there are in Hoenn. Skill swap also works to remove it if you run Synchronize on Gardevoir

Pokefan_1987

Having trouble getting the togepi to hatch. Have been using the progress with a Magma Armor on Slugma and cycling through Verdanturf and Mauville.
Any reason it hasn't moved past first message, "It doesn't seem close to hatching"

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
Having trouble getting the togepi to hatch. Have been using the progress with a Magma Armor on Slugma and cycling through Verdanturf and Mauville.
Any reason it hasn't moved past first message, "It doesn't seem close to hatching"
It just takes AGES.

Pokefan_1987

It just takes AGES.
Oh yes

Its so much faster in Sword and Shield with Flame Body and the Rotom Bike max-upgraded boost for dashing through the Hammerlocke Wild Area. Those games area really holding players hands,
i've been spoiled rotten how easy it was to get first evolutions, baby pokemon or breed a common pokemon so i can get its english name counterpart or the occasional shiny.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Can you transfer pokemon with the gorgeous & royal ribbons from Mauville City over to X & Y? I'm not sure if those ribbons are like the OR/AS megas & they're not coded in the game