• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official One Piece Manga Discussion Thread

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
It's been a whole 6 chapters without Luffy, better give him a title box so the viewers can be reminded who he is.
kappa_big.png

Chapter is really pretty though, great use of so many double page spreads.

Last edited:

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
That "dog" is actually a Shisa. Nice to see classical Japanese (well, Chinese. Sort of) monster. Bet we're gonna see a lot of Yokai in Wano.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
Too many funny moments this week. Oda drew some amazing panels there. He must be certainly enjoying drawing stuff based on his own country's culture.

FlorgesPower2

Anime fanatic
Lurking legend is that you?!

Beautiful chapter! I don't even care so little happened, especially since we get an early release and 2 color spreads for the next two chapters.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
These guys were really about to throw an 8 year old in the red light district, Oda hitting real ass issues in the world.

Glad to see Hawkins wasn't dumb, and decided to play along with being one of Kaido's minions. Although Kidd (prison or not) is kind of a champion as he stood his ground.

FlorgesPower2

Anime fanatic
These people don't even know Ace is dead? So the isolation issue is no joke then. Now I see how the other strawhats slipped on by with such tacky identities.

This'll be interesting.

lolipiece

Staff member
Oh, the Sunny expressed emotions. Has it done that before?

Has it come to life as well?

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Oh, the Sunny expressed emotions. Has it done that before?

Has it come to life as well?
If I recall correctly, there was a rumor about Oda killing off a Strawhat. And if that's true, Sunny might be going down like Merry. Or Franky will save it and upgrade it into the Pluton. There's no way he didn't memorize those blueprints.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'm enjoying the Wano arc so far, although it's a shame how it's come at the cost of the Reverie being cut short. At this rate, we won't go back to it until Wano's over, which could be a couple of years.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
It's always nice to see flashbacks with Ace. Finally, Luffy and Zoro reunite and are going against Hawkins and his underlings. No chapter next week.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
So glad the X Drake is a calamity theory is dead, so dumb.

Anyone else get the feeling that Tama is going to join the crew?!

An 8 year old is not joining a pirate crew the whole world (for the most part) wants dead. She's a liability.

DihNSYpXUAATb26.jpg:large

Translations from @Den_Den_Mushi
  • One Piece was rejected twice before the first chapter was published.
  • Oda doesn't feel like he's carrying the burden of being the headliner of Jump. He's just happy that so many people are reading his magazine. However he does strive to write more interesting stories.
  • He says he feels a strong sense of responsibility. If OP ended and his editors asked him to continue, he wouldn't want to. Ending it is his freedom.
  • Shanks is described as the leader of the Red Haired Pirates and a Yonkou who gave the hat to Luffy
  • One Piece manga is described as 'Chasing after the One Piece treasure left by the Pirate King, Luffy went out to sea! His many adventures are popular both inside and out of Japan!'
  • He says it is 'very lonely' now that Kishimoto, who published alongside him for 15 years is no longer doing so.
  • He says he and Kishimoto are the same age and their mangas became a hit around the same time, they have a lot in common.
  • However he says that even between mangaka who have known each other a long time, there are some things you can't say to each other if the popularity of your manga differs
  • However he says that he and Kishimoto often see eye to eye, they worry about the same things and both put a lot of effort into their work
  • Even if there appears a mangaka whose work catches up to One Piece's in popularity and scope, the only one he feels he will always share the same views with is Kishimoto.
  • He says that even though Kishimoto isn't publishing anymore, they still chat and Kishimoto listens to his complaints
  • He says that people are now enjoying different kinds of magazines, and it's less common for everyone to be reading the same manga
  • Oda thinks this is a shame, he used to bond with people over reading Dragon Ball. He says manga can build bonds between people, especially magazines such as Jump that people read in their childhoods
  • he wonders if different magazines and mangas can come together like the Avengers.
  • when he reads Jump nowadays he feels like he doesn't understand some of the mangas, thinking like a grandfather would.
  • He's aware of this and wants to take countermeasures against it. He says the competition is not about being right, but rather whether your manga is embraced by the audience. As a result he says that if One Piece loses out to them, he will do a bit more research but that hasn't happened yet, he's been winning so far.
In a separate interview Oda states that One Piece is 80% done.
Jimbei is apart of the crew, but has not appeared on color spreads for spoilers. There will be at least one more person joining the crew after Jimbei.

Last edited:

FlorgesPower2

Anime fanatic
If we're 80% of the way there then this is last person is gotta join after Wano, I take it Big Mom goes down this arc too?

I can't really being a big enough arc for someone to join, and after that where do you even take the story that isn't Raftel?

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
After that statement, the nakama wars in Wano are going to be worse than in Dressrosa.

I imagine it'll be another Enies Lobby and Franky situation where when the last member actually shows up in the story we'll know it's him or her.

Even the people who didn't like Franky knew he was the guy.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Like many, I really, really enjoyed Reverie (probably the RA-bits the least). I was really looking forward to the geopolitical consequences, but alas, Oda couldn't go on any longer without drawing Luffy.

Wano has been okay so far. There is consistent fast pacing, but quite a few conveniences happening as a result of that. Luffy just happening to find the sword maker that will have Zoro's next sword, taking that sword and running into Zoro first thing. It's like Season 7 of Game of Thrones. Yes, storylines are converging and things need to happen (and a lot is obviously going to go down during this arc - so it makes sense to get the set-up going ASAP), but it's already feeling rushed at the start. There's no two to three chapters wasted on a flashback for Tama why she is a tragic mess, nope, we get it in a few shots and in the current timeline: She was waiting for Ace who saved her village (that's now a ghost-town due to Kaidou) years ago, Luffy tells her Ace died - the trauma is obvious.

I imagine it'll be another Enies Lobby and Franky situation where when the last member actually shows up in the story we'll know it's him or her.

Even the people who didn't like Franky knew he was the guy.

There's only one person that really gives off that vibe. And that's Carrot.

What did Franky have? Unique: He was a cyborg, had a cool fighting-style which was melee - but nothing like Sanji or Chopper, had an obvious position on the ship as the shipwright before even joining the crew.

She has the unique-factor: She's a mink.
For the girl-segment of the crew, she has a unique fighting-style: Su-Long. Which coincidentally scales up her power to where it needs to be in this stage of the series.
She has already assumed a position on the ship: Look-out. As opposed to having to assume a position for somebody ("Violet could be the the look-out with her ability!").

And she just fits really well - and doesn't just come off as the next Vivi. The only problem I have with her is the similarity with Chopper in being sort of half-human and having a melee fighting-style with a significant details being that they can transform and being adorkable.

lolipiece

Staff member
There's only one person that really gives off that vibe. And that's Carrot.

What did Franky have? Unique: He was a cyborg, had a cool fighting-style which was melee - but nothing like Sanji or Chopper, had an obvious position on the ship as the shipwright before even joining the crew.

She has the unique-factor: She's a mink.
For the girl-segment of the crew, she has a unique fighting-style: Su-Long. Which coincidentally scales up her power to where it needs to be in this stage of the series.
She has already assumed a position on the ship: Look-out. As opposed to having to assume a position for somebody ("Violet could be the the look-out with her ability!").

And she just fits really well - and doesn't just come off as the next Vivi. The only problem I have with her is the similarity with Chopper in being sort of half-human and having a melee fighting-style with a significant details being that they can transform and being adorkable.

I just want a non-human girl. The Strawhats are enough of a sausage fest as-is, and I hate how both of the two females are fully human while half of the males are non-human (yes, I'm counting Franky and Brook. When your stomach is a refrigerator, it's time to accept you can't be considered fully human anymore. And Brook is essentially a zombie.), so a Mink girl would be a nice change of pace.

And Jinbe is technically "half-human", so if he can join, I don't see why she can't.

The only reason reason I can't see her joining is that Oda has done jack-all of fleshing out her character and past. We've gotten very little of her backstory, though Nami and Robin had the same problem, which he later amended when they got proper focus arcs. I guess given the current circumstances of this being a Yonko-focused arc,
she has to be put on the back burner, but it's still annoying.