• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official One Piece Manga Discussion Thread

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I’m at least fully caught up to the first arc of Wano & the biggest thing I’m concerned about is Tama.

I like her character & her connection to Ace, but I’m VERY worried about all the half animal characters if Kaido somehow gets his hands on her powers (whether through an artificial Devil Fruit or threatening her to make her animal servants listen to him). If Tama’s powers can work on someone like Speed, then they’ll definitely work on characters like Chopper, Cat Viper, Carrot, or other Minks in Wano. Heck, they might even work on Jimbei

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Locormus said:
We should all know about the stress Mangaka's go through to manage to put out and deliver each and every week. Oda has been blessed with lots of success and is granted a break every three weeks, but he still has an insane schedule by which he lives - and it's obviously draining the life out of him with frequent illnesses in the last couple of years. I'm not assuming Oda will die of old age anytime soon (especially if he envisions finishing in 240'ish chapters), but I'd be lieing if I do not fear a scenario where he'll be forced to take a semi-permanent leave in order to preserve his health. Leading either to a hiatus, biweekly/monthly release or giving up on drawing and only being the writer/storydirector/advisor in the grand scheme of things.

I don't like thinking about scenarios like this involving an author's death, but it's been apparent for a while now ever since he began taking breaks every few weeks [which has become more frequent since around the time of the Fish-Man Island arc if I remember correctly] that his work schedule is stressful.

That said, I would think that by now he would maybe put more effort into finishing the manga quicker, yet he still chooses to waste chapters on very pointless mini-subplots and skirmishes that don't really matter in hindsight. The Wano arc in particular has been frustrating for me, because Oda had been slowly hyping the arc since Punk Hazard, then 5 or 6 years passed and Luffy finally arrived in Wano, only for Oda to spend approximately an extra year and a half further building up the climax of the arc [the current raid on Onigashima] even after all the preparation and waiting that had already happened. I just feel that if I were in his shoes at his age, I would think to trim the story and finish each arc faster instead of keeping up the monotonous pacing, because in the long run it's only going to affect his health the longer he keeps dragging out the plot.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I’m at least fully caught up to the first arc of Wano & the biggest thing I’m concerned about is Tama.

I like her character & her connection to Ace, but I’m VERY worried about all the half animal characters if Kaido somehow gets his hands on her powers (whether through an artificial Devil Fruit or threatening her to make her animal servants listen to him). If Tama’s powers can work on someone like Speed, then they’ll definitely work on characters like Chopper, Cat Viper, Carrot, or other Minks in Wano. Heck, they might even work on Jimbei
Uhhh, isn't Kaido himself half-animal? Wouldn't her powers work on him? He's smart enough to not let that happen voluntarily, but if he were somehow forced to eat one of the "dango"...although it depends on whether her powers work on natural Zoan Fruit users or only SMILE users.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
I guess we really will get Chapter 1000 this year. Probably.

We won't.

I assume there's a break after this chapter, and when we come back we've got the holiday breaks. Meaning we'll get 2 chapters for the rest of the year.

I could see spoilers for 1000 try and leak on new years eve, but who knows.

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
We won't.

I assume there's a break after this chapter, and when we come back we've got the holiday breaks. Meaning we'll get 2 chapters for the rest of the year.

I could see spoilers for 1000 try and leak on new years eve, but who knows.
You were indeed correct. Break next week and then probably the final week so we end up with 999.

Kaido actually has been pretty interesting. Everything he's done so far has completely thrown me off.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Mammoth, Pteranodon, Saber-Toothed Tiger, Triceratops... Dammit, there's no Tyrannosaurus Zoan yet. How are we supposed to make the Megazord at this rate?

xEryChan

Demon Child
Mammoth, Pteranodon, Saber-Toothed Tiger, Triceratops... Dammit, there's no Tyrannosaurus Zoan yet. How are we supposed to make the Megazord at this rate?

... I always though Drake’s devil fruit was a tyrannosaurus, it isn’t?

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Chapter 999 was awesome. These last few chapters have been insane. I still go to OneManga every now and again, but man that place is toxic. The chapter discussions get derailed with ancient arguments that have no relevancy almost immediately. Like, it takes like two days for this chapter for instance to derail into a discussion on Aokiji and Blackbeard, or Doflamingo and Fujitora. And obviously every character sucks (Sanji in particular is seen as a traitor) and every fight is improbable as all SH's are weak outside Luffy and Zoro. Jinbe is dull, Carrot should never join, Yamato is hard to powerscale and even though Oda is about to hit chapter 1000, there's a need to criticize him in a way that just shows that they don't even know what type of manga they're reading "Goes to show that even when you're deficient at the core part of the job (writing an action adventure manga), you can still hit 1000 chapters". Referencing that Oda doesn't seem to do much fights anymore.

I mean I couldn't just help but remember the guy that this isn't a story about fights, but about ADVENTURE. Finding out the secret behind One Piece is the core premiss. Travelling with Luffy and his crew to find out the secrets of the world is the CORE part of the story. It's the STORY that matters and the CHARACTERS in this story that validate each fight they get into. Seeing fights like Franky vs. Senor Pink don't matter as much as they don't matter to the overarching story (but Oda still showed it in a few chapters iirc). Getting to know every bit of Ace's adventure and how his past ties in Wano have turned into Luffy's present ties, especially when they both have a D. in their name IS SUBSTANTIAL. But yet, that seems to be the part of Oda's writing that gets criticized on OneManga the most.

Look, I'm the kind of guy that will defend Ash's Torterra. In that form, it didn't get a win. It fought and lost against the Tower Tycoon (as a Grotle), the 8th gym leader, an E4-member and the pokémon on Paul's team that's pretty much his 3rd or 4th strongest pokémon after Torterra, Electivire and maybe Ursaring. And yes, he has a type advantage against every single one of them (Grass, Ground, Grass and Ground respectively (though no Ground-type attack). But one can clearly see that at least two of those were postgame characters (Palmer, Bertha) and the other two were A-tier, where one clearly knew his weaknesses and prepared (Electivire having Ice Punch to deal with Ground-types) and the Paul battle was okay to call a misstep on Ash/Torterra's part - or you could call that on the writers for apparently having to give Infernape three wins in that battle (which in my eyes was one to many).

Saying Ace is a "turd" because he has only lost battles is exactly the same thing - and I'm not even a big Ace fan. He's fought against Shichibukai Jinbe, Whitebeard, Aokiji, Blackbeard, Akainu and now in this flashback with Yamato (intending to go after Kaidou). He has fought to a stalemate or lost these battles. Ffs. A Shichibukai, Yonkou, Admiral, future-Yonkou, future-FleetAdmiral and the daughter of a Yonkou. Yes, maybe he shouldn't have picked those fights - but it's clear why he lost those fights, but he still walked away from most of them and didn't get killed outright (well, outside of the obvious one - spoiler?). Ace is okay powerwise. He's not a turd. Whitebeard saw the potential in him, that also gets to mean something. But I guess not in the eyes of powerscalers/Torterrabashers.

Well, considering the recent events proving that Kaidou isn't a Dragon with a Oni/Ogre-DF... (Kaidou=Magikarp->Gyarados).

And considering how after leaving Franky to fight Sasaki there's a certain daughter who showed she has the ability to grow fangs out of nowhere...

There might be a possibility that Yamato could end up having the Ryu Ryu no Mi: Ancient Zoan Model Tyrannosaurus Rex.

That being said, because Kaidou having Uo Uo no Mi: Mythical Fish Zoan.. Who's actually going to have Ryu Ryu no mi: Ryu? We had the Yamata no Orochi, which sadly went to Orochi.. But the actual Dragon model for the Dragon-class Zoan DF's (ryu = dragon)?

Or is that too obvious? Like we're never going to get stuff like Inu Inu no mi: Inu model. Maybe that's the deal, maybe not. Would be a shame to waste a class like that and only turn that into dinosaurs + one mythical to a Spandam-like character.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
1000's title has leaked. If you're planning on dodging spoilers (especially if you only read the official) now's the time to bounce.

Happy holidays!

Leonhart

Imagineer
I honestly don't expect chapter 1,000 to be exceptional regardless of the hype. There's very little that I look forward to seeing in the remainder of this arc other than getting a Kaido flashback and seeing him lose, but that obviously won't happen in the next chapter judging by the title and common sense.

Edit: The spoilers confirm what I thought, but at least the plot is moving rather quickly now.

Last edited:

xEryChan

Demon Child
I gave in and read the scans for ch. 1000 and now I am hyped. Yeah, the scans suck but that’s not surprising. Either way, I can’t wait to officially read them when they release it. It’s gonna be lit.

Locormus

I'm not disappointed by chapter1k, but then again I wasn't fully overhyping it either. The thing I expected for a few dozen chapters did in fact happen - and the artwork didn't disappoint. What I thought the other plotthread was leading up to didn't happen (yet!), which is unfortunate, but in hindsight it would've overshadowed the rest so I'm not bothered by it as much. Definitely solid, but I wouldn't rank it higher then an 8.5.

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
Pacing wise, it just made sense.

Anything over the top wouldn't have made sense, just for the sake of it being Chapter 1000.

Locormus

ahz44rfte2c61.png

Volume 98 cover.

Okay.

That's something.

It's way too crowded. Look at how miserable Kawamatsu is cropped under Kin'emon's armpit.. There might be something to the right of Raizou, but it could just as well be a part of Inuarashi whose design is cluttered by having Raizou positioned there across his chin. Nekomamushi just looks bad and flat. Don't see why Oda didn't choose for a different angle. Now that I'm talking about angles, this angle makes Inuarashi look like a white version of dragonform Kaidou. Wtf.

The only positive thing I have is the little sideboob we get from Yamato.. But even then she doesn't look half as powerful here as she does in the manga and her hair looks as if someones tugging it in one particular direction instead of it flowing naturally.

That and that color blue that Oda chose as the hue for the majority of the scabbards is just ugly and doesn't match when you have Luffy and Yamato in the middle with those brighter colors.

I'm not one to obsessively tear down any content, but if I saw this cover in a shop I'd probably pass. Which is sad. :(