• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Platinum Shiny Discussion; read the first post.

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 11515

Welcome to the first shiny thread ~!
Shiny Discussion Rules
  1. Follow all SPPf rules. The most common ones broken in this thread are minimodding and multi-posting. Remember, the Edit and Report buttons exist for a reason!
  2. Discuss Shiny Pokemon only.
  3. Don't offer/request to trade. There's the trade forums for that.
  4. Don't ask foolish questions, such as "How do I get a shiny?" Read the F.A.Q.
  5. Do not post unless you have three sentences' worth of information. We don't need separate posts for every little detail.
  6. Don't post just to say what you have been or will be soft-reseting/chaining for. This will be considered spam. Only post if you actually have a new shiny or have a question/answer that's relevant.
  7. Do not post more than once per 10 posts. That's right. You should post only once per every ten posts. There's an edit button for a reason. .-.;

Another common trend throughout this thread is "good luck" and "congrats" posts. These are spam and do not contribute to the discussion, and will be dealt with accordingly. This is your only warning, so don't whine that you hadn't been warned about this. Also, do not start offtopic conversations. If you wish to start a conversation with a user, there's PMing and Profile Visitor Messages.

F.A.Q. from the old thread
1. Q: Shiny Pokemon? What are those?
A: Shiny Pokemon first appeared in the Gold and Silver games for the Gameboy Color. Basically, they are alternately colored Pokemon (for example, shiny Charizard is black instead of orange).

2. Q: Wow! Are shiny Pokemon more powerful?
A: Unfortunately, no. The ONLY difference between shinies and regular Pokemon is the color. They’re pretty much just for bragging rights.

3: Q: How can I find a shiny Pokemon?
A: Every Pokemon that you see in the wild, hatch from an Egg, get from an event (such as your starter, Beldum, etc) has the same chance of being shiny: 1/8,192. These are pretty high odds, so you need to be very lucky to come across one. There’s no place that they’re more common, and no surefire way to find one. The only way to get shinies more easily is chaining.

4: Q: But I’ve seen over 10,000 Pokemon in my game and haven’t found a shiny yet! That can’t be right!
A: 1/8,192 is a probability. That doesn’t mean that after 8,192 Pokemon, you will automatically find a shiny.
A good example of this is when you roll dice. You have a 1/6 chance of getting any particular number when you roll, such as the number 2. That doesn’t mean that you will roll a 2 in six rolls, or that your second roll will be a 2, etc.
The same goes for shiny Pokemon. You may find a shiny on your first try, or within a hundred tries, or maybe not until 10,000 tries.
To delve in a bit deeper, picture that whenever you encounter a Pokemon, a random number between 1 and 8,192 is generated. Let’s say that the number 500 is the “shiny number.” If 500 happens to be the random number that’s generated, the Pokemon will be shiny. If the number is anything else, it will be a normal Pokemon. Nice odds, aren’t they?

5: Q: If I breed a shiny Pokemon, will the baby from the Egg be shiny as well?
A: Unlike in G/S/C, where you had a higher chance of hatching shiny offspring when the parents were shiny, this is NOT true for any of the 3rd or 4th generation games. Every Pokemon has the same odds of being shiny, no matter what.

6: Q: What is this “soft resetting” thing I’ve been hearing about?
A: Soft resetting is when you press Start + Select + A + B to reset your gameboy (just like turning the system off and on). It’s helpful when trying to find a shiny of a Pokemon you can save in front of, such as your starter at the beginning, legendaries like the Regis and Rayquaza, etc. Save, soft-reset, see if the Pokemon is shiny, if not turn off your game and try again. Just like finding any shiny, this depends completely on luck, but if you’re patient you should eventually get your shiny. Keep in mind that this could take hours or days with luck, and months and months without.

7: Q: What does a shiny _____ look like?
A: The Pokedex on the main site shows sprites of every Pokemon:

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/

Just look up the one you want.

8: Q: How do I know if I have a shiny Pokemon?
A: Besides the change in color, a shiny Pokemon will sparkle when it comes into battle. There are also a couple changes on its summary page, which you can see on the main site’s shiny page (link above).

9. Q: When will I know if I’ve gotten a shiny starter?
A: When you’re choosing your starter, the game will show you a picture of each Pokemon. This picture will NOT show you whether that Pokemon is shiny or not. You will have to choose it and check its summary, or use it in battle, to find out if it’s shiny or not.

10. Q: Can I save before hatching my Egg, and reset until I have a shiny?
A: No. Unfortunately, everything about the Egg is set when you receive it, so you'll end up with the same Pokemon every time if you use this method. You can, however, save before you take the Egg from the Daycare man, hatch it, and reset until you have a shiny.

11. Q: If my shiny Pokemon evolves, will it stay shiny?
A: Yes. Shininess isn't something that changes.

12. Q: Do shiny Ditto transform into shiny versions of the opponent's Pokemon?
A: Unlike in older gens, if a shiny Ditto transforms into the opponent it will only be shiny if the opponent was shiny.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueEew

PokeProject - GO!
I think I have already posted my one today. However I guess it wouldn't hurt to say again.

I found a Shiny Bibarel by the Lake South of Veilstone. I just went into a patch of grass (a small patch) and there it was.

I was really happy as I have never found one since Gold/Silver/Crystal and that was only Gyarados.

Draknir

Fear the Deer
I found only one Shining in Platinum. It was an Abra that used teleport and got away. I found it earlier today.
EDIT: Wahoo! I found a second shining in Platinum! A Female Snover at Acuity Lakefront. Whats even better is that I caught it!

Last edited:

waterlunar

Teh Spriteh Dude
I've had no random encounters yet, so hopefully I will since I didn't have a "random random" in D/P. Does the roaming pokemon still act the same way as in D/P (how IV and shininess is chosen when you first "set them free")?

neal-b

Team Rocket 4ever
when i was looking for a jolly, Alert to sounds chimchar;390; i got a shiny one.

Platinum Shiny
;390; Soft reset

Diamond Shiny
;267; Random

SilverMorty

Found a Shiny Golbat at the end of Iron Island...

Caught it easily with a Great Ball and in yellow life

The shiny version looks bleck though haha

DragonFire353

Deoxys Master
Caught a shiny giritina on my platinum! hardy nature, took hours though but im happy :p

Takoyaki

Now I know why my Shiny Thread for Platinum wasn't uploaded >_<

323-3.png
I caught two shiny Camerupts today! My chain broke at 57.
287-3.png
Just got three pink Slakoths too.

Does anybody know where there is a picture of all the new sprites with their shiny verions?

Last edited:

jorisw

Yeah i got an adament! natured chimchar in my platinum!
after 20 SR's!

latios reborn

I've lost my first shiny for Platinum which was a Ralts. I didn't know that it would teleport away.

pokeknowitall

SEX MACHINE
well i got pretty screwed because on my way to celestic town, i found a scyther and i really wanted it and wasted my last ultra ball on it nad the next pokemon was a shiny noctowl which i really wanted, and even worse i didn't even catch the scyther, just my luck

DanChimchar

Friends are Diamonds
I found a shiny Tentacool and a shiny Bibearl in platinum. It was by luck I was training my Happiny when I found Bibearl and I found Tentacool when I was getting electviers thing to evolve

AzerWrath

「深弾幕結界 -夢幻泡影-」
Gots a random Shiny Drapion in Great marsh XD...
and a shiny Anoroth(sp?) i got XD

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
Well, I just started yesterday, and I felt compelled to EV train my Chimchar. I battle Magikarps for speed EVs, and what do you know? I found a shiny Karp. Did not see that coming. o_O I've only put like, six hours on the game, and half of that was leaving it on while I try to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing (can't read Japanese xP).

SHINY CATCHER

Epic Snake is Epic!
Found a shiny shinx on route 202 using the pokeradar;403; which goes with my shiny giratina I found in the torn world.;487-o;

:)~:100th Post:~:)

Status
Not open for further replies.