• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver Help Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I'm new here but I have a question that I hope will be answered soon. Ok so I found both my HG and diamond games and decided to restart diamond. I then decided to hatch eggs for my game but! in the process I hatched a shiny porygon with a lonely nature with download as it's ability. I checked it's iv's and it has max hp,atk, and spA while the rest are above average based on what the guy said. I want to know If I should keep it and what can I use it for? I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this.

Well, personally I'd definitely keep a shiny, especially one with great IVs. :D

As for what you can use it for...even though Lonely isn't the best Nature for it, you can still successfully use it on the game you restarted if you want to since you don't need perfect stats, etc. for the main story.
Or you could just keep it in your PC as part of your Pokemon collection if you want.
It's really up to you to decide what to do with it.

Help, I have trouble beating Palmer in the Battle Tower, here is my team:
Feraligatr:
Waterfall
Surf
Dragon Claw
Crunch

Golem:
Earth Power
Rock Slide
Rock Smash
Rock Climb

Electivire:(Lv.55)
Thunderbolt
Thunderpunch
Brick Break

Mamoswine:
Blizzard
Earthquake
Strength
Ancientpower

Fearow:
Fly
Drill Peck
Assurance
Aerial Ace

Alakazam:
Grass Knot
Disable
Psychic
Shadow Ball

Last edited:

Kalosian

So long
Help, I have trouble beating Palmer in the Battle Tower, here is my team:
I'll assume this is for your first battle against him. I would recommend you to use Alakazam, Mamoswine and then either Feraligatr or Electivire. If you are willing to change their movesets, you should remove Disable on Alakazam and go for Calm Mind or maybe Focus Blast instead, Mamoswine should have Ice Shard or Ice Fang instead of Strength and Rock Slide or Stone Edge instead of Ancientpower. Feraligatr should have Ice Punch over Surf, maybe Ice Fang if you can't get Ice Punch. For Electivire, remove Thunderbolt and add Ice Punch and Fire Punch.

Piffinatour

I've got an odd question pertaining to Shiny Pokemon and, perhaps, game mechanics.

From what I've seen on the site, there is no mention of an increased shiny rate for HeartGold/SoulSilver. However, I find it odd that the only 3 Shiny Pokemon I've ever encountered, and caught (other than static ones, like the Red Gyarados) were found on 3 separate save files in my HeartGold game. These were a Shiny Rattata, a Shiny Caterpie, and a Shiny Kakuna (the last of which was caught a mere 4 days ago). Is there actually and increased shiny encounter rate in HG/SS? Or, are some game cards just randomly predisposed to generate more Shiny pokemon? Or, is my gamecard just a 'lucky game'?

Aquarelle

Staff member
^From what I've read, there's nothing to suggest that HGSS has a wild shiny encounter rate differing from 1/8192.

So, I'd say it's just a coincidence or luck of the RNG that all your shinies came from the same game.

Yoericfc

Hello everybody!
I was wandering am I able to do the celebi event(for instance) now? Is there a way to do it?
PS my onlinefeatures dont work anymore, is it problem with my ds or not?

The Light Ruler

Light of Ruin.......
Hello everybody!
I was wandering am I able to do the celebi event(for instance) now? Is there a way to do it?
PS my onlinefeatures dont work anymore, is it problem with my ds or not?

The Celebi event can still be done. All you need is a Fateful Encounter Celebi on your game.
And as of May 20, 2014, Nintendo has terminated all online functions for all DS and Wii games. So if you need to trade or battle in Gen 4 or 5, you'll need to do so locally from now on.

ninjaethan

Konnichiwa ~!
Hello

I have Rock Smash & I want it on a Fighting type (Because of the STAB)

So what is the earliest fighting type Pokemon in the game & where?

Thanks ^^

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Hello

I have Rock Smash & I want it on a Fighting type (Because of the STAB)

So what is the earliest fighting type Pokemon in the game & where?

Thanks ^^
Not counting Pokéwalker, Heracross for Headbutt on Trees in Azalea. Given that Headbutt is a Tutor Move for most Pokémon, this may be hard to get. You can trade your Drowzee for a Machop in Goldenrod city.

If you have the Pokéwalker, you can find a Machop on Rugged Road, and a few other Courses.

Personally, I find Rock Smash to be lacking in Damage as moves go. It's got 40 Base power, so it's got the similar power as moves such as Tackle and Scratch.

demonwolf668

Shine Hunter
Hi,

I am working on getting my favourite pokemon as shines and the first one is Totodile..

So i am doing a soft reset shiny hunt, but i don't if it is working... all i have is saved in front of the pokeballs and i keep checking if any are shiny and reset and then do it again. am i doing it right or should i do it another way? anyones imput would be nice.

Sutittaja

Lightning zebra
Hi,

I am working on getting my favourite pokemon as shines and the first one is Totodile..

So i am doing a soft reset shiny hunt, but i don't if it is working... all i have is saved in front of the pokeballs and i keep checking if any are shiny and reset and then do it again. am i doing it right or should i do it another way? anyones imput would be nice.

Well, that is how i did it and got my shiny Totodile. I saved in front of pokeballs, checked them and if no one.was shiny , i soft reseted and checked again. So you are doing right thing, in my opinion.

demonwolf668

Shine Hunter
Well, that is how i did it and got my shiny Totodile. I saved in front of pokeballs, checked them and if no one.was shiny , i soft reseted and checked again. So you are doing right thing, in my opinion.

Sweet just checking if there was any ways i could help get them :) thank you.

also if i turn the ds off and change systems will it affect my chances?? (just got my 3ds)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
So, today, in SS, I had a Chansey swarm so I went to get my Chansey in a Heal Ball to train and evolve into a Blissey. Out of the five I caught only two were "above average" overall according to the Stats Judge. Now, my question is, which of the two should I use?

Here are the spreads according to Serebii IV calculator:
Chansey 1
Nature: Mild
Ability: Natural Cure
IVs:
HP 29
Atk 12 - 16
Def 12 - 20
Sp.A 13 - 16
Sp.D 25 - 29
Spd 14 - 17

Chansey 2
Nature: Quirky
Ability: Serene Grace
IVs:
HP 14 - 17
Atk 8 - 11
Def 31
Sp.A 30, 31
Sp.D 17 - 20
Spd 0 - 4

While Chansey 2 has 31 and 30 IVs for Def and Sp.A respectively, I can't help but ignore that abysmal Spd stat. Which one is worthwhile? I am more of an offensive player FYI.

Last edited:

Kalosian

So long
Now, my question is, which of the two should I use?
It depends on what you are going to use them for. If it is only for in-game battles or casual battles, it shouldn't matter much, though I would advice against the first one as the Mild Nature lowers an already bad Defense stat, making it automatically destroyed by any Physical move. Although it does have Natural Cure which is the better ability, so that makes it a bit harder to decide. If it is for Battle Frontier or competive, I highly suggest you to rebreed, but if not, the second one will once again be the better alternative, except regarding the ability. Speed doesn't matter that much as Blissey is pretty slow to start with. And if you are going to use an offensive move on it, Serene Grace might help with the increased chance of activating effects. In the end, it depends on what you are going to use it for and if Ability or IVs is more important for you.

Last edited:

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you so much! Yeah, I'm only using it in-game so I'll aim to catch a few more while its still swarming but, if not, the second one it is!

naddan1012

SoulSilver problem

purchase this game 10 days ago and After a few days of playing this game it randomly stopped working. It opens to the main menu, but when it asked me to continue my career, the screens turn black. Can you help please?

Aquarelle

Staff member
purchase this game 10 days ago and After a few days of playing this game it randomly stopped working. It opens to the main menu, but when it asked me to continue my career, the screens turn black. Can you help please?
Moved your post here since I don't think this needs its own thread.

Anyway, the first thing that comes to my mind is: are you sure you own a legit copy of the game? There are many bootleg copies of the game out there and I have read about how they can have problems working properly.

Other than that, all I can think of is maybe the game was corrupted or damaged in some way? IDK.

Digseed

dratini safari zone

I need help.
I've just started a new game in Soul Silver, and yes I'm aware that the new Ruby and Sapphire are out tomorrow (for Australia) but I'm a sucker for SS..
I've completed the first challenge from Baoba and received the second challenge, however I haven't actually caught the sandsrew yet. I'm able to change the zones and I've been fishing with a good rod for ages now and haven't come across dratini. Do I need to do the second challenge or place water items anywhere like I've read in other forums? Can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.