• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver Help Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
So what happens if I max out the Sp. Def but keep fighting the pokemon that drop the sp. Def ev's?

Nothing happens, once you've got max EVs in a stat (255), it wont increase any more.

Darn. Was worried about that, though I still should be ok, right, if Hoothoot didn't drop any EV's that would hinder my Umbreon's defense stats? Like I said, I don't know what types of EV's it gives. And hopefully, if I'm EVing right- there should be 6 EV's leftover to allocate to any random stat after I max out 2 others with 252 each, I've read.

Hoothoot gives 1 HP EV, if your Umbreon was still holding the Macho Brace at the time then it would have gotten 2 HP EVs. Whenever your Pokemon gain experience they gain EVs, only exception being if that stat already has max EVs.

How would I determine Umbreon's EV's/ IV's in HG or SS? I tried doing as much research as I could, before I attempted to train it; and got a good grasp on what nature I wanted to look and breed for- which was very time consuming- and the stats that were most beneficial to that nature, along with which pokemon dropped the EV's I was looking for to boost the stats i wanted, but there's still much I don't quite get, so I appreciate you taking your time to better explain.

You would have had to be counting all EVs you've received. If you've only been fighting Tentacruel, Tentacool, Mantine and that one Hoothoot then, depending on how many Tentacruel, Tentacool and Mantine you've fought you probably have 255 Special Defense EVs and 2 HP EVs.

You can use this calculator to find IVs: http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml

And I would recommend you read both of these pages on EVs and IVs.

soundsci

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask about this but does anybody have any help they could offer in connecting to the GTS in HeartGold?

Been wanting to see what I can get out of it before they close it next month but I get a connection error every time I try to access it. I've read that your wireless router needs to use WEP in order to connect, though I've tried setting it to that with still no luck in accessing. Any help (or a point in the right direction on where to seek help if this isn't the sort of thing to ask in this thread) would be appreciated! :)

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask about this but does anybody have any help they could offer in connecting to the GTS in HeartGold?

Been wanting to see what I can get out of it before they close it next month but I get a connection error every time I try to access it. I've read that your wireless router needs to use WEP in order to connect, though I've tried setting it to that with still no luck in accessing. Any help (or a point in the right direction on where to seek help if this isn't the sort of thing to ask in this thread) would be appreciated! :)

We'd need a lot more information than 'I get a connection error".

soundsci

We'd need a lot more information than 'I get a connection error".

It states: "No compatible access point in range. Check your connection settings and try again." with an error code of 51099 though I have no issues utilizing the wireless functionality in my gen 5 and 6 games. Any ideas?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
It states: "No compatible access point in range. Check your connection settings and try again." with an error code of 51099 though I have no issues utilizing the wireless functionality in my gen 5 and 6 games. Any ideas?

You're certain you've switched the routers encryption method to WEP? I would try leaving it unsecured first, just to see if you can pick it up that way.

soundsci

Yep, my 3ds automatically discovered it as WEP as well. I also tried unsecured after that and still no luck. Not sure what the next step would be here...is part of the issue that I'm using a 3ds rather than a ds?

EDIT: Turns out that yes, wireless connection settings on the 3ds are indeed separate for regular ds games :p not sure why i never had issues with white and white 2 in that regard, though...

Last edited:

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
What do I do after beating the Kimono girls? Lyra won't let me surf from New Bark Town to Victory Road
You need to battle and possibly catch the Legendary on the Cover of you game. Head to the Whirl Islands in Soul Silver to get Lugia, and up the Ecruteak City's Bell Tower in Heart Gold to get Ho-oh.

Unoin

You need to battle and possibly catch the Legendary on the Cover of you game. Head to the Whirl Islands in Soul Silver to get Lugia, and up the Ecruteak City's Bell Tower in Heart Gold to get Ho-oh.

Encountering a legendary should only happen after you become champion, but I will obey this illogical plot!

Caremal5

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask but would anyone be able to trade me a low level dratini for a reasonable pokemon on soul silver please? I've tried playing voltorb flip but I always lose and just want to get a dragon type early on. :)

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Yeah but this time you are forced to encounter one at a specific point. All the other times it was up to you, the point where you encountered one

You probably shouldn't play Black, White, Black 2, White 2, X, or Y then, because Gen V forces you to catch the legendary before the E4, and Gen VI forces you to encounter it and battle/catch it before the E4. :p

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask but would anyone be able to trade me a low level dratini for a reasonable pokemon on soul silver please? I've tried playing voltorb flip but I always lose and just want to get a dragon type early on. :)

I can't trade on Soul Silver, but if you want to win Voltorb Flip, you can "cheat" and use this website: Voltorb Flip Solver. Keep in mind that sometimes, especially on the harder levels, some of the choices are up to chance (i.e., they can be more than one thing), and so the calculator isn't always correct. But it is massively helpful.

If you still want to trade, go to the 4th Gen Trade Forums.

Last edited:

Caremal5

That solver is completely useless, it got all of the locations wrong and only completes half of the game aswell... This is why I asked to trade and not waste time playing some game of chance and losing every single time.

Mera

That solver is completely useless, it got all of the locations wrong and only completes half of the game aswell... This is why I asked to trade and not waste time playing some game of chance and losing every single time.

I found a bit of a system for the game, it's not entirely foolproof, but it helps. So far I managed to get well over 30 000 coins.
Step 1: If a row has no voltorbs in it, open it, all of them.
Step 2: If the number of both voltorbs and numbers equals five mark it off, I usually do this with the sign fo voltorbs, there's nothing interesting in those lines to find.
Step 3: Looks where the lines with the most points intercept and open the tile, usually it results in a two or three. Now let's say a line has four points and two voltorbs after you find the two pointer the rest of that line is useless, mark it off. Same if you have found one three pointer or two two pointers in a line in which the nmber of points and voltorbs equals seven, the rest of the line becomes uninteresting and mark it off. By marking it off it's easier to see at which spots you need to be looking.

This works most of the time. It has gotten me to level 8.

Now I have a question. Is there a good strategy to capture the pokémon with a higher flee rate in the safari zone?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Now I have a question. Is there a good strategy to capture the pokémon with a higher flee rate in the safari zone?

The best has pretty much been to try alternating between feeding them and throwing stuff at them. There's really no guaranteed strategy, though. Just chuck balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.