• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver Shiny Discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

MareBear

So I've FINALLY caught my first ever random encounter shiny Pokemon this morning on my HeartGold game. I was out looking for a Ditto on Route 34 near the Day Care Center to bring over to my Diamond game to, ironically, help me breed using RNG for a shiny egg. I was starting to get frustrated until I saw I saw a shiny Drowzee pop up on my screen. I freaked out as soon as I saw it and paralyzed it with my Ampharos then caught it in an Ultra Ball (just to make sure, you know). Here are some pictures below (I had other pictures on my one memory card but they wouldn't upload so I had to switch over to this memory card but once I get that one working I'll post more pics later):

Pokemon-Shiny.png

Pokemon-Shiny-1.png

Pokemon-Shiny-2.png

Pokemon-Shiny-3.png

She doesn't have the best nature, stats, or color but she's special and she's all mine, finally. After beating the game I may evolve her into a Hypno but I'll see how I feel about that later. I don't really care if anyone reads this but I was so happy that I just had to post about it. This so totally made my day and possibly my week, especially after having four wisdom teeth removed yesterday. XD

Last edited:

Wazzaabi

RedShade
so i was continueing my advanture on route 35 after defeating the horrible beast miltank from whitney. (wich gave me a rly hard time defeating in the original gold hehe xD) after defeating the bug catcher he gave me his number and i headed south to battlethe bird trainer and snatch the item next to him, when i encountered a nidoran(F). since i didnt had it jet i just caught it, then a fewsteps later i Thought i saw a nidoran(M) but then the stars came and i was in shock xD! so i kept thinking to myself: 'its just like any other odenary pokemon just hit it softly..put in into sleep and you have it...just like the other one.' so lucky me i was able to catch it with a luxury ball (wich looks pretty badass!) and now its part of my team :)! i called her Rani, she's docile, lv 20 and pretty badass at the pokeathlon!

this was my third random shiny encounter ..first the shiny dunsparce on leafgreen that i caught, second the shiny geodude on platinum...who happily selfdestructed on me( i was early in game too so i had only a few pokeballs to catch him... and this one is the third :)

Yuphie

Novice Shiny Hunter
Just ran into Shiney Seaking in the Safari Zone...my heart was pounding...threw about 6 Safari Zones before it fled :'( feel like crying! Worst place to find a shiney...

warnerbroman

the Blue trainer
So I've FINALLY caught my first ever random encounter shiny Pokemon this morning on my HeartGold game. I was out looking for a Ditto on Route 34 near the Day Care Center to bring over to my Diamond game to, ironically, help me breed using RNG for a shiny egg. I was starting to get frustrated until I saw I saw a shiny Drowzee pop up on my screen. I freaked out as soon as I saw it and paralyzed it with my Ampharos then caught it in an Ultra Ball (just to make sure, you know). Here are some pictures below (I had other pictures on my one memory card but they wouldn't upload so I had to switch over to this memory card but once I get that one working I'll post more pics later):

Pokemon-Shiny.png

Pokemon-Shiny-1.png

Pokemon-Shiny-2.png

Pokemon-Shiny-3.png

She doesn't have the best nature, stats, or color but she's special and she's all mine, finally. After beating the game I may evolve her into a Hypno but I'll see how I feel about that later. I don't really care if anyone reads this but I was so happy that I just had to post about it. This so totally made my day and possibly my week, especially after having four wisdom teeth removed yesterday. XD
It has a decent nature all you need is to meditate zen headbutt ect.

Ollie901

Just ran into Shiney Seaking in the Safari Zone...my heart was pounding...threw about 6 Safari Zones before it fled :'( feel like crying! Worst place to find a shiney...

I know how you feel. My only ever random shiny encounter was a shiny Milotic in one of the Wild Pokemon rooms in the battle Pike (?) in Emerald.

I had to run from it :'(

MareBear

It has a decent nature all you need is to meditate zen headbutt ect.

I'll definitely take that it to consideration! I probably won't do much with her since I have my team already set and everything but once I beat the game I'll definitely try that out. Thanks for the advice! :)

pieman556

1525 Eggs!!
-double post-

please delete this massage

You can delete your own messages you know, just go down to the bottom right corner and hit delete.

Anyway, congrats on everyone's new shinies. After catching my shiny Ho-oh, I did a little bit of SR'ing for my shiny GameCorner Ekans, but I may take a break from that one for a while, and beat the Elite 4

jema

Yeah, I'm average.^^
Okay, I'm running out the door to take my wife to the doctor (she has pneumonia, and so do I...), so I didn't have time to search this whole thread, so here's my question:

I'm going up against Mewtwo, and I wanted to know if their sprite shows that they're shiny before battle, or not. I've done about 40 SRs, and before I go any further, I just wanted to make sure that the sprite looked normal before battle or if it should look like the shiny sprite. Thanks.

Ambri

~Draco Rex~
Okay, I'm running out the door to take my wife to the doctor (she has pneumonia, and so do I...), so I didn't have time to search this whole thread, so here's my question:

I'm going up against Mewtwo, and I wanted to know if their sprite shows that they're shiny before battle, or not. I've done about 40 SRs, and before I go any further, I just wanted to make sure that the sprite looked normal before battle or if it should look like the shiny sprite. Thanks.
It'll look normal outside of battle, but once you capture it the sprite becomes the shiny colour. Pneumonia sucks...hope you guys feel okay soon~

Five days of soft resetting, 3000+ resets, and still no shiny Totodile. Not even one of the other starters have shined yet either >D guess luck's just not on my side for this.

Totodile310

<-- Hatched !
Reality has set in for me as well. After 2 really lucky finds I've hit the wall.
Up to 2275 SR's and no Totodile for me either. My first took 1,416 and my second only 1,218. I know it's still early but it isn't getting easier.
I just want to get going and start the game. After 2 weeks I just want to start exploring.
Hopefully luck will change soon and I'll finally find him.

ChaoticInverse

<--31,000 incounting
Don't worry Totodile, I'm sure you'll get it soon. I think I'm at about half that for my starter hunt. It helps if you take a break for a bit, otherwise the frustration just keeps building up and up.

rimusa

I'd been SRing for a shiny Lugia since Wednesday. All throughout Friday, my friends kept telling me that I should either give up or hack one. Yesterday my mom almost my DS away because I'd been SRing the entire weekend.
This morning, while in the WC, in my last attempt before going for breakfast, it appeared. I has a lonely nature and its IVs are 8 / 14 - 15 / 31 / 2 / 14 / 27
This is my first shiny other than the red gyarados and the pikachu-colored pichu :)
;249;

Since many people have asked and I feel no concrete answer has been given, I'll attempt to determine "how long it takes on average to get a shiny starter."

Agree with the following conditions:

1. It takes 20 seconds to do an entire check and reset, though this is close to the very least amount of time possible. For most it will take ~30 s, but just let me argue an extremely competent person can do 20 s every time.
2. 1 of 8192 Pokemon are shiny.

Now then, on to the math.
* is multiply
/ is divide or "per"

8192pkm * 1SR/3pkm = ~2730 SRs.

2730SRs * 20s = 54600 seconds

54600s / 60s/min = 910 mins

910min / 60min/hr = 15.2 hrs

So it would take 15.2 hours at the very least to have a one out of one chance for a shiny. I know this does not guarantee a shiny, but on average it does. HOWEVER, it gets better.

Now consider these.

Half of the players will obtain a shiny before the halfway mark, which is 7.6 hours, right?
Half of them will not find one until the second half, between 7.6hrs and 15.2hrs.

Therefore the average time for a player to get a shiny starter is 7.6 hours. Or, if you're like me and get distracted, etc., and take 30 s for an SR, it will take, on average, 11.4 hours.

So it takes 7.6-11.4 hours on average to get a shiny starter.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
my first random was a shiny pidgey i like its sprite. its now a gold pigeot woo hoo

Awesome, I remember catching one of those back on my old Silver version. I finally ran into one in the wild (a shiny that is)... first one in a long time.

A shiny Vulpix :). I was extremely happy when I ran into that.

Totodile310

<-- Hatched !
Since many people have asked and I feel no concrete answer has been given, I'll attempt to determine "how long it takes on average to get a shiny starter."

Agree with the following conditions:

1. It takes 20 seconds to do an entire check and reset, though this is close to the very least amount of time possible. For most it will take ~30 s, but just let me argue an extremely competent person can do 20 s every time.
2. 1 of 8192 Pokemon are shiny.

8192pkm * 1SR/3pkm = ~2730 SRs.

2730SRs * 20s = 54600 seconds

54600s / 60s/min = 910 mins

910min / 60min/hr = 15.2 hrs

So it would take 15.2 hours at the very least to have a one out of one chance for a shiny. I know this does not guarantee a shiny, but on average it does. HOWEVER, it gets better.

So it takes 7.6-11.4 hours on average to get a shiny starter.

Well you made a believer out of me. After exactly 2,357 SR's since my last Shiny Starter . . .

get-attachment.aspx

get-attachment.aspx

As you can see from today's date this is my second (Still not a Totodile XD)
My last "one" six days ago had a Mild nature and Good Perserverance, This guy has a Modest nature and is Strong Willed.
So if you follow Cimperialis' formula I suppose it is a strong basis to give support all those who are thinking of/currently Shiny Starter hunting to have hope and press on.
I suppose those will be words for myself to live by, as now once again I must continue my search for the ever elusive Totodile.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.