• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Well, it's a great example of many. I mean a pink mantis that is not even bug type? Really?

Yet it's a clever idea and design since (as mentioned above) it's based on a mimicry, a function in nature that species use to either avoid predators or ensnare their prey.

I honestly don't see where the "running out of ideas" point is coming from here.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Probably based in part on Pouyannian mimicry.

"Hello, I'm Lurantis, and I'm a flower that mimics a mantis that mimics a flower".

Jokes aside, though, it will likely still be part of Bug Egg Group. I can't see GF going that meta.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Well, it's a great example of many. I mean a pink mantis that is not even bug type? Really?
There are three problems wrong with that statement:

1. Just because they didn't give it a Bug-type doesn't mean they're running out of ideas.
2. It's theme is supposed to be a reverse of an orchid mantis anyways (instead of a mantis impersonating a flower it's a flower impersonating a mantis), so if anything it's more creative.
3. Even if that wasn't the case, we've had many weirdly typed Pokémon before.

So, your argument is invalid.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Game Freak has always came up with ideas. They are not running out of ideas otherwise they would stop making pokemon games. Anyway, I hear the volcanion event is coming and hope that it extends to other countries like NZ.

Pokemon Power

Finally, and right near the end of Generation VI. Also, two weeks after the first Ranger came out on the Wii U VC, the second one's coming tomorrow. Guess it won't be long until the third one comes.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Can't wait for the Volcanion code in October.

And by that I mean going at it in the first day.

EDIT: The Z-ring toy looks cool. I'll get it if it comes to NA.

Last edited:
So...jumping off from the Sun and Moon hype train for a second, recent supposed "leaks" (as in - treat this with a lot of salt) have suggested that a new Pokémon game, which will be created by GAMEFREAK as per the console norm, is included in the NX's launch line-up (likely released within the first 6 months of the NX's release), alongside the already confirmed Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game and a rumoured Mario game.

Again, treat this with some salt, but an interesting idea nonetheless.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
So...jumping off from the Sun and Moon hype train for a second, recent supposed "leaks" (as in - treat this with a lot of salt) have suggested that a new Pokémon game, which will be created by GAMEFREAK as per the console norm, is included in the NX's launch line-up (likely released within the first 6 months of the NX's release), alongside the already confirmed Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game and a rumoured Mario game.

I don't but it at all for a few reasons.

One, There is no way gen 7 is only going to be just Sun and moon, that's not happening. Gamefreak will do at least one more game(s) with the engine. Also the fact that another gen 7 game will be on the 3ds and not the nx. Gamefreak doesnt worry about everythign nintendo does regarding consoles, they just take what the new portable is and work with that until they are done. They wont rush some game out just for the nx launch. Remember BW2 came out OVERa year afetr the 3ds launched.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist

At first I was thinking maybe they're already making a mystery dungeon for the gen, but I dont think so. Oras was released only a year after xy, which leads me to think they could also be working on remakes or the next third version. Either way I am sure they have a game such as that in the works too.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!

A Mario game is not unexpected, actually I think Nintendo will Launch with one, even if it's a remake. (Mario 64 DS was a launch title.) While I doubt that Pokémon will a "Proper" Main series game, but there has been at least one Side game on the handheld within a year of launch.

Personally, I waiting for the Nintendo Direct.. I can see Mr Shibata doing the Song and Dance of showing off the NX.. (OK, may be not like that.)

Hasty

Moonside
Probably based in part on Pouyannian mimicry.
Oh, that's clever. So, Lurantis is basically something like a flower (or carnivorous plant) that mimics a mantis and emits an aroma to attract Pokemon. While an orchid mantis attracts prey by looking like a flower, Lurantis attracts Pokemon by looking like a beautiful non-plant creature.

That's one clever design, and most Pokemon are like that. I don't see how anyone can complain, obviously different people have different tastes, but we need to stop wrongly generalizing Pokemon from particular (or newer...) generations.

Last edited:

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
One thing that's come up is that in the past, Game Freak has been able to take their time coming to new systems, as they've always been backwards-compatible with the older systems; as such, players who've upgraded before Game Freak can keep playing last-gen games on current-gen systems. We've seen this with Emerald and BW2.

By all accounts, the NX has no BC with either the 3DS or the Wii U; they're ditching dual-screens entirely, and their old PowerPC architecture has finally been put to rest. As such, unless the Pokemon title in question is a port, you won't be able to play XY, ORAS, or SM on the NX.

Because of that, there would be a larger impetus on Game Freak to hop on board the NX ecosystem quickly instead of dawdling, lest their userbase leaves them behind.

While I doubt that Pokémon will a "Proper" Main series game, but there has been at least one Side game on the handheld within a year of launch.

MCV says Game Freak. This ain't that Dash trash.

DotKU

Champion
One thing that's come up is that in the past, Game Freak has been able to take their time coming to new systems, as they've always been backwards-compatible with the older systems; as such, players who've upgraded before Game Freak can keep playing last-gen games on current-gen systems. We've seen this with Emerald and BW2.

By all accounts, the NX has no BC with either the 3DS or the Wii U; they're ditching dual-screens entirely, and their old PowerPC architecture has finally been put to rest. As such, unless the Pokemon title in question is a port, you won't be able to play XY, ORAS, or SM on the NX.

Because of that, there would be a larger impetus on Game Freak to hop on board the NX ecosystem quickly instead of dawdling, lest their userbase leaves them behind.

Yeah that brings up a good point. I think it's very possibly that we'll see either a SM port or the usual sequel/third version on NX and 3DS in holiday 2017. But I think it will only be possible if Gamefreak and Nintendo are able to enable cross play between both devices so that the user bases aren't split. And I think maybe with the big graphical update in the overworld and stuff, that it might have been done as well since they knew they would port it to NX. Future-proofing so to speak.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
MCV says Game Freak. This ain't that Dash trash.

MCV is a Magazine intended to Retailers in the UK, and they're reasonably well respected. I personally think some information has got mixed up or Game Freak is overseeing a Side game. It's almost certain that Game Freak will work on the next Nintendo hand-held with Pokémon game. I'd expect that a NX Pokémon side game will come out soon after release of the NX. Someone could have just mentioned them as two games but somewhere they got connected as the same game.

The NX release date stated in the article is March. 6 Months would place the new game coming out before the end of September. That is just over 10 months between Sun and Moon and Pokémon NX. That's is the closest game releases since Fire Red and Leaf Green and Emerald, which was 7 Months and 18 Days between releases.

It just feels a little too close for me for a "NEW" game.

Last edited:

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I guess it's possible for the game to be a straight port, but would Game Freak do that? In both the sense that it would be an odd way for them to break ground on a new device, particularly in the context of all the rumored Wii U ports, and the sense that the porting wouldn't necessarily be done by Game Freak.

It could end up being the Z followup to XY that people wanted, if Zygarde's mythos isn't completed in SM for some reason.

Or it's possible that this is all wrong, which I'm certainly not ruling out (Nintendo's three heaviest hitters in the launch window seems like a bit of a moonshot).

I guess it's possible for the game to be a straight port, but would Game Freak do that? In both the sense that it would be an odd way for them to break ground on a new device, particularly in the context of all the rumored Wii U ports, and the sense that the porting wouldn't necessarily be done by Game Freak.

It could end up being the Z followup to XY that people wanted, if Zygarde's mythos isn't completed in SM for some reason.

Or it's possible that this is all wrong, which I'm certainly not ruling out (Nintendo's three heaviest hitters in the launch window seems like a bit of a moonshot).

Agreed. If anything, I think it will be about a yearlong rotational rollout between the three: Breath of the Wild to release in March at launch; the Mario game to be released around September; and the GF Pokémon game - if it's happening - to release anywhere from November up to the end of March 2018. It would certainly keep people coming back to purchase the big hitting games, that's for sure, and if they can fit in other massive titles such as a Smash Bros for NX remaster, Splatoon 2 and Pikmin 4? Would certainly give GF more confidence in the system if they didn't have it already.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Gamefreak WON'T put whatever the next gen 7 games will be on the nx. They don't follow nintendo's law and what they do regarding consoles. Remember how tons of people thought BW2 would/should have been on the 3ds? Gamefreak will take their time and have gen 8 for the nx when it's ready.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
They don't follow nintendo's law and what they do regarding consoles.

As long as their games are on Nintendo hardware, they follow Nintendo's release schedule by definition.

The 3DS is largely being propped up by little more than late localizations at this point. After SM, there's just what, more Dragon Quest? Releasing last-gen games is fine if the hardware is backwards-compatible, but NX doesn't appear to be. Asking players to carry around two dedicated gaming handhelds at a time when Nintendo is struggling to get people to carry around one because Game Freak wants to put DameDiamond and PrincessPearl on obsolete hardware months after the core userbase has moved on is a hard sell, even for them. Hence, the plausible shift in release strategy.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
As long as their games are on Nintendo hardware, they follow Nintendo's release schedule by definition.

The 3DS is largely being propped up by little more than late localizations at this point. After SM, there's just what, more Dragon Quest? Releasing last-gen games is fine if the hardware is backwards-compatible, but NX doesn't appear to be. Asking players to carry around two dedicated gaming handhelds at a time when Nintendo is struggling to get people to carry around one because Game Freak wants to put DameDiamond and PrincessPearl on obsolete hardware months after the core userbase has moved on is a hard sell, even for them. Hence, the plausible shift in release strategy.

For one, we still don't even know if the nx for sure will be a hybrid or have a handheld part to it.

Even still, they only make the remakes using the engine of the current gen, they wont make a the next engine for just remakes, it will be gen 8.