• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

Hauke_von_Arding

Well this was a weird trailer. "Type: Null" is its name? Why can't they give it a real name? And why is it called Type: Null if it's Normal-type with just a regular everyday ability?

It's man made. So it's likely the creaters gived him a scientific name and don't care about a 'good name'

It's a big mystery. They could be Pokemon, or they may serve as bosses in the Sun and Moon, where defeating them is important. Similar to Black/White Kyurem, you wouldn't be able to capture them. [/end could statement]

The official page pretty much describes them as something different from Human and Pokemon.

Nockturne

I know its a log way off but the run up to Gen 8 is gonna be a nightmare. I mean its bad enough with the debate of if they'll bring back Mega Evolution but with all the changes S/M are bringing in, the speculation around which ones stay and go is going to be never ending. :D

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Ultra beasts, zygarde cells, team skull, aether foundation, the island challenge.... I don't even know what's the main plot anymore. This is a huge clusterf*ck.

Its better than xy where it was the most dry barebones plot of flare just wanting to destroy the world.

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
Yeah, i agree with you. I just feel like the franchise is better off focusing on just 1 storyline rather than trying to explore 5 different storylines at the same time. They barely have the time to properly explore just 1. Hell, the only time that they were able to properly explore a storyline was BW and there still was some loose ends.

Besides, those storylines are so different from one another that it feels kind of forced that they are connected.

But hey this is Pokémon we are talking. We shouldn't expect much from the game's plot.

JRPGs do this all the time. At the beginning of the game, the player is given whole bunch of disconnected plot threads which will eventually weave together into a coherent plot. Chances are, SuMo's plot will be several hours longer than previous games.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
This game's world is looking more and more interesting by the announcement. The Aether foundation sounds nice.

And hey! There's that snap sequel we've all been begging for.

AceTrainerBen

I think that, at this point, they're just really excited by the new features and switching the formula up. So, when all of the different pieces do come together, we're left with something new and fresh (for Pokemon). Plus, a lot of it seems like sidequests rather than full fledged required stuff. I have high hopes for the storyline, but I almost always fall into that pit trap.

I agree, a lot of this looks like it could side quest based stuff , which fits the feel of the series better than a linear storyline, but could be more confusing what with so much going on in this game... I'm intrigued all the same and look forward to the change nonetheless.

Yeah, i agree with you. I just feel like the franchise is better off focusing on just 1 storyline rather than trying to explore 5 different storylines at the same time. They barely have the time to properly explore just 1. Hell, the only time that they were able to properly explore a storyline was BW and there still was some loose ends.

Besides, those storylines are so different from one another that it feels kind of forced that they are connected.

But hey this is Pokémon we are talking. We shouldn't expect much from the game's plot.

we might even see some of this stuff happen independently of one another, in that you can only venture through one or two storylines at a time, I think that's the ideal situation as it plays into the whole side quest exploration vibe pokemon has going for it too.

......................................................................SPECULATION BREAKDOWN BELOW.....................................................................

Lastly or anyone still confused... I just want to try and recap a little more succinctly so everyone who reads this can wrap their head around what we know so far:

1, Once again, we have enemy teams possibly competing with one another (like oras), who likely want to assert dominance over the region for their own reasons and probably are interested in the ultra beast and box legendaries.
2, The island trials + guardians simply take over from the usual gym challenges and elite four.
3, TypeNull could be the man made island's guardian or created to take on ultras as we're told it was created for a purpose??
4, Expect a lot a lot of side quests and post game content to keep us interest once we beat the game.
5, the Dex duo from kalos show up to seek out cores and give you a cube,
6, Zygarde does a thing...

hope this helps ;)

Last edited:

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Holy frick that was a lot to take in.

But I have to admit, Type: Null is a weird name...

Holy frick that was a lot to take in.

But I have to admit, Type: Null is a weird name...

Yeah, I don't think I'll ever get over that blunder of a name. I mean, it's a chimera and they don't give it an awesome name?!
Perhaps even more confusing is that I'm finding it hard to pinpoint the Pokémon it's been based on for body parts. Our first look perhaps at more of Gen VII, or, adversely, future generations?

I think it's way too soon to even say that these plots aren't 'connected'. Heck, we can pretty much match them all up. The island trials are world building and gives you and Hau an incentive to move until the real plot kicks in, just like gyms. The island Guardians will want to save their islands from the grave threats the Ultra Beasts will bring, which also brings to mind Zygarde's role as the protector of earth. The Ultra Beasts show up at Aether Paradise, connecting them to Aether, and we know Aether has issues with Skull, who in turn are related to the island trials.

And Solgaleo and Lunala will do... Something. Probably to do with the UBs or Type: Null.

Last edited:

Hauke_von_Arding

Yeah, I don't think I'll ever get over that blunder of a name. I mean, it's a chimera and they don't give it an awesome name?!
Perhaps even more confusing is that I'm finding it hard to pinpoint the Pokémon it's been based on for body parts. Our first look perhaps at more of Gen VII, or, adversely, future generations?

But if you are a scientist and creat a chimera... I doubt they are about a normal name for it. They would clearly give it a name like Type:Null

AmethystLeslie

I was thinking, what if GF thinks that the Normal type is whatever they want it to mean? We've seen it mean everyday/generic things, the mother of all types, and now a mishmash of all types with Type: Null.

BCVM22

It was created by scientists in a lab. The very last thing they would do is give it a fanciful name.

I don't think we're supposed to take the appearance in literal fashion like that and believe that the parts are supposed to be those of actual, known Pokémon. I think we're supposed to see them and determine "ah, the front legs are Bug, the tail is Water," and so on. Nor is there any reason to believe Game Freak is showing us the future in that same fashion.

I was thinking, what if GF thinks that the Normal type is whatever they want it to mean? We've seen it mean everyday/generic things, the mother of all types, and now a mishmash of all types with Type: Null.

That's exactly what the type has always been. Pokémon that simply don't fit into one of the other 14-16 elemental types. It ostensibly doesn't have mental abilities like Mewtwo, so that rules out the Psychic-type, and in lieu of a "Science-type" or something like that, Normal-type is the most logical. Especially since that type gives you neutral usage and coverage to 14 of the other 16 types - logical if the Pokémon is meant to be able to embody and use multiple different types as a lab-made chimera.

Pokemon Power

The Ultra Beasts sound like a new mystery in the Pokemon world. Hope it's solved before the generation is over. The 12-hour time difference between the two versions is a unique twist. I was gonna get Moon, but maybe I'll choose Sun instead.

Rio!

Composer
This concept of Ultra-beasts sound pretty neat, actually; I'm especially loving the mystery behind them! That Type:Null is something else though
As far as other pokemon go, Jangmo-o is really precious; looks like a pre-evo for a potential dual-typing. It kind of gives me Ankylosaurus vibes, and I feel something's going to happen with those plates on its back and the tail.

The time mechanic sounds pretty sweet too, it's always nice to have event triggers that actually correlate a bit,; maybe we'll find out why that is?

Also...
is it just me or does Professor Kukui's assistant Lillie just even somewhat resemble UB-01 (looking at the silhouette comparison)? I mean, I just want to know if I'm alone in this lol. /cough. I mean, the 'mysterious' bit sure doesn't help much. Though there could just as well a relation to Team Skull or the Aether Foundation. Yeah.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
This concept of Ultra-beasts sound pretty neat, actually; I'm especially loving the mystery behind them! That Type:Null is something else though
As far as other pokemon go, Jangmo-o is really precious; looks like a pre-evo for a potential dual-typing. It kind of gives me Ankylosaurus vibes, and I feel something's going to happen with those plates on its back and the tail.

The time mechanic sounds pretty sweet too, it's always nice to have event triggers that actually correlate a bit,; maybe we'll find out why that is?

Also...
is it just me or does Professor Kukui's assistant Lillie just even somewhat resemble UB-01 (looking at the silhouette comparison)? I mean, I just want to know if I'm alone in this lol. /cough. I mean, the 'mysterious' bit sure doesn't help much. Though there could just as well a relation to Team Skull or the Aether Foundation. Yeah.
Your idea is not wacky at all, Lillie's and UB-01's similarities definitely aren't just coincidences.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Definitely not just you! People were speculating stuff like that within the hour of the trailers, haha. Helps that earlier trailers outright described her as 'mysterious' and now we have two other characters sharing physical similarities to her... as well as a Pokemon (UB-01) who is on the official website described to mimic a certain young person.

Rio!

Composer
Your idea is not wacky at all, Lillie's and UB-01's similarities definitely aren't just coincidences.

I wondered if I was the only one kind of considering that since I saw a couple mentions of her possibly belonging to an organization. I see how she's not a fan of sunlight and dislikes Pokemon battles as well. If that latter bit is any indication that something's up I dunno what is, haha.

Oh I forgot to comment on Zygarde, but it's kinda neat we'll be able to pick up bits of it all over. At least you won't have to start with an op pokemon right off the bat and it's something that progresses with your game (assuming you can use Zygarde once a certain percentage of Cells/Cores are collected.

Definitely not just you! People were speculating stuff like that within the hour of the trailers, haha. Helps that earlier trailers outright described her as 'mysterious' and now we have two other characters sharing physical similarities to her... as well as a Pokemon (UB-01) who is on the official website described to mimic a certain young person.

Oh okay! I really just got to look at the trailer and I had forgotten what Lillie's name was and did a quick search to see if it would match. These newer bits of information is probably what has me hyped the most so far tbh.

Edit: Just took a look at the Japanese trailer too, and could see why this is the preferred one. ;o

Last edited:

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
So corocoro will leak sometime in the next 5 days or so when we finally see rockruff's secret. I think after this we will only have either 1 or 2 trailers left before launch. Possibly one more this month or just one more in october with the starter evos and official gameplay of rockruff evo(s) and his name, and a little more.

Red and Blue

So corocoro will leak sometime in the next 5 days or so when we finally see rockruff's secret. I think after this we will only have either 1 or 2 trailers left before launch. Possibly one more this month or just one more in october with the starter evos and official gameplay of rockruff evo(s) and his name, and a little more.

We may also get the official anime announcement which is something else to look forward to this week