• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

Aetius

A very interesting GamesTM interview with Masuda and Ohmori has been summarised greatly by GoNintendo here.

Great read about Sun and Moon and a GO update approaching, as well as fan theories and a handheld focus, amongst other things!

Interesting, especially the parts about the release of information and Hyper Training. :D
It was nice to know how they saw the whole thing on their part.
I wonder what they did when they discovered that one of the game they worked so hard on making was leaked....

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
"Pokémon Sun & Moon received a 38/40 from the Japanese magazine Famitsu "

IIRC this is the same as B2/W2.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'

That's a good sign. Then again I think every mainline pokemon has gotten a high score from famitsu.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

All I'm seeing is great things everywhere about the game, the lowest rating I've seen yet is an 8/10! Sorry for the incoming wall of text, but here's a collection of the reviews for Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon to keep us all waiting in intense hype until Friday is what I would be saying if Europe didn't have to wait 5 days, so...until Wednesday next week for us.

Famitsu 38/40
TechCrunch
GameReactor 9/10
Destructoid 9/10
MetroUK 9/10
IGN 9/10
DigitalSpy 5/5
Eurogamer "Essential"
Gamespot Review in progress
PocketGamer 8/10
NintendoWorldReport 8/10
Game Informer 8.5/10
Nintendo Life 10/10
Gamexplain "Loved"
Nintendo Insider 10/10
US Gamer Review in progress
The Daily Dot 4.5/5
AreaJugones.es 9/10
EveryEye.it 8.5/10
SpazioGames.it 9/10
Trusted Reviews Review in progress
CG Magazine 8/10
GameBlog.fr 8/10
Games Radar 4/5
BGR 4.5/5
EGM 9/10
God is a Geek 9.5/10
TSA 9/10
FNintendo 8/10
XGN.nl 9/10
NintendoEverything "Thumbs up"

The biggest takeaways are IGN (9/10), Famitsu (38/40) and Eurogamer ("essential")

Last edited:

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!

gliscor&yanmega

Every game gets generally high scores for reviews, hardly surprising that Sun and Moon are following. More curious about how the sales will turn out do to already being the most preordered nintendo game as well as the most downloaded demo.

Obviously will take a bit of time to see how it does overall, but for the first day, week, and month, it should be interesting if it surpasses anything in terms of Pokemon and other franchise. See it being number 1 on 3DS eventually, beating XY.

porygonfan

Toys R Us free card/trading event Nov 20 in the US

Did anyone else read about this? You get a holo toys r us Electabuzz foil card plus a poster. On the paper it says kids age 6 and up and adult collectors but when I called it says only for kids? Also has a chance for kids to trade cards.

Every game gets generally high scores for reviews, hardly surprising that Sun and Moon are following. More curious about how the sales will turn out do to already being the most preordered nintendo game as well as the most downloaded demo.

Obviously will take a bit of time to see how it does overall, but for the first day, week, and month, it should be interesting if it surpasses anything in terms of Pokemon and other franchise. See it being number 1 on 3DS eventually, beating XY.

Just going to put together some general multiplier predictions here.

By the end of 2013, roughly 31.09 million units (1) were sold under the 3DS umbrella (including the 2DS sand 3DS XL); likewise, by the end of 2013, roughly 11.61 million units (2) of Pokémon X and Pokémon Y had been sold, including a 4 million unit launch weekend (3). By using figures 1 and 2 (note that the same figure for end of year system sales has been used here; a smaller install base at launch would mean a greater multiplier, but I'm just going off the statistics I can find), we can estimate that approximately 13% of the install base purchased XY on the launch weekend, and, by using figures 1 and 3, that approximately 37% of the install base had purchased the games by the end of 2013.

Now, we don't know exact figures, but we do know that Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon are the most pre-ordered Nintendo games to date (though I can't use this in my calculations, I can in my personal predictions). The 3DS install base has obviously grown since the launch of XY, and, in fact, it has more likely more than doubled, passing 60 million units worldwide as of June 2016. Yeah, you know, before the unanimous success of GO? Anyhow, let's keep conservative and say they haven't sold a single system since that day and keep that figure at 60 million systems sold to keep it simple. By using the multipliers above, we can estimate that 13% of the 60 million system install base will purchase the game over the launch weekend, giving a total of about 7.7 million units over the weekend. Now, using the 37% multiplier, we can estimate that approximately 22 million units could end up being sold by the end of December 2016 (note here that the games will have been on sale a month less than XY, but considering it is much closer to Christmas I think the same multiplier could remain in effect). This would make it the third highest selling pair of Pokemon games in history, behind GS (23.1 million units sold) and RGB (31.38 million units sold), and that's without taking into account what happens after 2016. XY is currently sitting at 15.64 million units sold at the end of its generation, 3 years on, and we can find this to be a multiplier of roughly 135% of the games sold of XY by the end of 2013; applying that here would give a total of roughly 30.25 million units sold at the approximate end of Gen VII! Of course this doesn't take into account the Switch or other deterring factors, but, likewise, these calculations didn't take into account positive factors such as the effect of GO, a larger install base than used, etc. And please do note that these are just simply calculations; they could be well off, which is why I'm going to include some different views below.

TL;DR:
• multiplier gives roughly: a 7.7 million unit sale launch weekend (note: this would include initial EU sales); roughly 22 million units sold by the end of December 2016; roughly 30 million units sold by the approximate end of this generation.

Personal predictions:
pessimistic - 5 million units sold launch weekend; roughly 15 million units sold by end of 2016; roughly 20 million units sold by end of generation (and yes, note that this being pessimistic - it falling essentially off the map after a great start to be halted by Switch and other factors - approach still gives a greater return than any seen since GS, 15 years ago)
pessimistically realistic - 7 million units sold launch weekend; roughly 20 million by the end of 2016; roughly 25 million units sold by the end of generation (I'm still pretty pessimistic about its future after its initial run here), which would make it the second highest grossing pair of Pokémon games since GS
optimistically realistic - see above multiplier predictions^^^
Multiplier prediction said:
a 7.7 million unit sale launch weekend (note: this would include initial EU sales); roughly 22 million units sold by the end of December 2016; roughly 30 million units sold by the approximate end of this generation.
optimistic (genwunners turn away now) - 9 million units sold launch weekend; roughly 25 million by the end of 2016; roughly 35 million by the end of generation (making it the highest selling pair of Pokémon games since the original trio of RGB)

Last edited:

Akashin

Is it safe to talk about what the next games might be now that Sun and Moon are almost here?

As far as I know it's never permitted to delve deeply into that topic, regardless of how near or far we are from the latest main series release. Now more than ever there's no real point to it, what with the preset notions of what the routine is with main series releases crashing and burning.

gliscor&yanmega

According to famitsu, Nintendo has shipped over 10 million copies of Sun and Moon.
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201611/17120824.html

This is apparently about 1.5x more than XY did, and also seems to be the most for any 3DS games(Going off of other news sites so not sure how credible they are).

Sun and Moon are going to be the third best selling Pokemon game for sure at this point, now just a matter if it ends up outselling Gen 2 and Gen 1.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
According to famitsu, Nintendo has shipped over 10 million copies of Sun and Moon.
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201611/17120824.html

This is apparently about 1.5x more than XY did, and also seems to be the most for any 3DS games(Going off of other news sites so not sure how credible they are).

Sun and Moon are going to be the third best selling Pokemon game for sure at this point, now just a matter if it ends up outselling Gen 2 and Gen 1.

I think it has a decent chance of surpassing gen 2. Nothing will get over gen 1 but it's a little unfair since it had red and green, then blue, then red and blue, then yellow.

gliscor&yanmega

I think it has a decent chance of surpassing gen 2. Nothing will get over gen 1 but it's a little unfair since it had red and green, then blue, then red and blue, then yellow.

It could at the very least surpass Red and Blue/Green, without third installments and VC(Although that's only another 1.5 million), which is about over a million or so more than all of Gen 2(With Crystal it sold nearly 30 million).

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Posting this here as it pertains to a current event.

Apparently, The amount of illegal copies has made a review copies of Sun/Moon potentially lock the eShop as a side-result.

When would the "online embargo" end?
I'm willing to think it will depend on the Region.. If I had to guess; 3 hours ago, Japan and Australia & NZ. At Least 12 hours until US copies go live. One Could argue Europe is already live with New Zealand, but Europe won't get it until next week.

Aetius

Well, I guess it's time to leave Serebii for a while.
Thank goodness that the only spoiler I saw was something that I had already suspected. XD
To all of those who will get the games soon, enjoy them to the the fullest! To all of those who, like me, have to wait for 5 more days, hang in there! :D

Pokemon Power

Well, during the first ten years it was on Kids WB. And it's been on Cartoon Network since 2006, which was ten years ago. So moving the anime dub to another station again is a good way to keep things fresh for another decade. I wonder if it being on Disney XD means we'll see Pikachu with some Disney characters during commercial breaks.