• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Which was already know as they announce that GameFreak works on a core series RPG... I think it's strenge... what else would people expect for a 'core series RPG by GameFreak'?

they could take the game in a completely different direction while still being a "core series RPG". This is just confirmation that they are not, if Reggie even knows anything about it yet.

BCVM22

Which was already know as they announce that GameFreak works on a core series RPG... I think it's strenge... what else would people expect for a 'core series RPG by GameFreak'?

You would be surprised as to how many people read and hear "core series Pokémon RPG title" and somehow take it to mean everything but what it means.

Everything12

So that probably means either multiple regions, one big region, or a compilation of past games.

Multiple regions would probably take too much time, effort, and money to make, also why do people keep bringing it up it hasn't happened since Gen II its probably not happening again, if you mean by one big region a new region its probably that, and they wont make a compilation because virtual console and remakes.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

BCVM22

"Nintendo has since reached out to Venture Beat to clarify that Scibetta apparently meant to say “2018 and beyond."

Cradily17

I just hope that this new Switch core game is a completely new generation, complete with new Pokemon, towns, characters, story, etc.

I say that because I can imagine GF pulling a Red/Blue/Kanto reinvioning. That idea completely disinterests me, I am done with remakes/Kanto. I have no evidence to suggest this as a real possibility but with all the Pokemon Go success and Kanto pandering in gen 6 and 7 I can see GF wanting to go back to the region that "everybody loves." (Last part was sarcasm).

Crossing my fingers for a whole new generation.

I really hope we get (a) new game(s) as well. Although with the new movie coming out next month, a Red/Blue remaster/remake seems like a strong possibility which is concerning.

BCVM22

Although with the new movie coming out next month, a Red/Blue remaster/remake seems like a strong possibility which is concerning.

They aren't releasing a Kanto retelling movie in July 2017 to coincide with your theoretical Kanto game that will release no earlier than fall 2018. There's no connection.

Last edited:

Cradily17

They aren't releasing a Kanto retelling movie in July 2017 to coincide with your theoretical Kanto game that will release no earlier than fall 2018. There's no connection.

I sure hope so. A brand new game is exactly what I'd prefer.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I don't see how this can be anything other than 8th gen, new generations sell gangbusters and have more creative freedom than other types of Pokemon games, so they're a good game to start out with since they draw in a huge audience and show what the new hardware can really do. The more interesting question is what will this game be like? Reggie said it would be a traditional "find, train, battle" experience but that doesn't mean they can't shake up conventions in the series. And with this being the first console Game Freak is developing for, bringing with it much stronger hardware than they've used before and a new audience that has never played their games, I'm wondering just how much the series is going to evolve. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being open world or similarly open ended, that is the kind of experience console gamers tend to gravitate to and there's been a lot of praise for BotW and Mario Odyssey having a similar type of shake up, so it might be a good idea for Pokemon to take a similar approach as well.

Thure

I really hope we get (a) new game(s) as well. Although with the new movie coming out next month, a Red/Blue remaster/remake seems like a strong possibility which is concerning.

The new movie is the anniversary movie just like SM was the anniversary game.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
M-Doom is banned in UU.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being open world or similarly open ended, that is the kind of experience console gamers tend to gravitate to and there's been a lot of praise for BotW and Mario Odyssey having a similar type of shake up, so it might be a good idea for Pokemon to take a similar approach as well.

Considering FF's and other JRPGs evolutionary process, I think we are stuck with "hallway simulator" for a few console generations.

Thure

Problem with Open World in Pokemon: How would you handle level progression in a good way? The level system of Pokemon is very hard to implent into Open World gameplay.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Problem with Open World in Pokemon: How would you handle level progression in a good way? The level system of Pokemon is very hard to implent into Open World gameplay.

They could keep random encounters in grass patches, caves, water, etc. I really don't think it would be possible to have all wild pokemon roaming.

I don't necessarily want the games to be open world. I just want the world to be bigger than they have before, with more things to do in the routes and requiring more time to get between towns.

Thure

They could keep random encounters in grass patches, caves, water, etc. I really don't think it would be possible to have all wild pokemon roaming.

The question is still: How would it use levels? If you can isntantlygo to route 99 and skip Route 1... would the Pokemon there be level 99 too? And what's about the trainers? How would you handle this without limiting the player to much which would nonsene in Open World? I just see to much problems for Pokemon with Open World.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
maybe players could actually lose a fight when they're at a disadvantage?

nah, modern Pokemon could never go for that