• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
^The Beluga whale, which is only allowed to be hunted by Inuits in Alaska, though the name itself comes from Russia.

Pixelpar is trying to imply next region will be based on Alaska, though it is most likely his claims are fake.

I don't think he's implying that all. Codenames are just... well, Codenames, they're made as a way to share the project around, and while the name may imply certain things about the game it doesn't necessarily have to be anything major about it at all. XY's codename for instance was Kujira, or whale for English speakers, which nothing about it is indicative of Kalos or France nor is immediately apparent of what thematic relevance it has on the region. Same with Swan for B2W2 and Sango (#3) for ORAS, it alludes to what the project is, but it's not going to be immediately apparent to any casual onlooker.

Last edited:

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
I don't think he's implying that all. Codenames are just... well, Codenames, they're made as a way to share the project around, and while the name may imply certain things about the game it doesn't necessarily have to be anything major about it at all. XY's codename for instance was Kujira, or whale for English speakers, which nothing about it is indicative of Kalos or France nor is immediately apparent of what thematic relevance it has on the region. Same with Swan for B2W2 and Sango (#3) for ORAS, it alludes to what the project is, but it's not going to be immediately apparent to any casual onlooker.
It's Like George Lucas making a film called Blue Harvest instead of Return of the Jedi.

Or, someone in 2001 calling a book Alpha, and it being called something else when it get published. (I'd Like to link to it but I'm already pushing it.)

Red and Blue

Codenames typically mean nothing about the product.
Wasn't the codename for Sun and Moon "Rainbow" though? That was a pretty big hint.

It was indeed rainbow.
Codenames are mostly unrelated to to the actual product. "Beluga" means nothing.
They are a little bit.
Swan for B2W2 as the swan song to DS.
Kujira(whale) for XY because it was their biggest project yet(jump to 3D etc.)
Sango for ORAS means postpartum/afterbirth (second game of the 3DS) but also coral(whole underwater stuff) and something about 3(can't remember exactly)(remake of the third games).
Rainbow for SM because Hawaii is the rainbow state,and all the prism stuff.
Autumn Leaves for USUM,I don't really know.

So yeah,they usually do mean something at least vague about the game.

BCVM22

Those are all stretches ranging from considerable to HUGE.

The original statement is completely correct: take absolutely nothing away from the codename "Beluga" because it is completely devoid of any meaning that we could feasibly take away from it at this early and vague stage.

It is okay to occasionally say "yeah, there's nothing to this nugget" and move on. Not everything needs to be a "well, actually..." debate.

R_N

Also where did these codenames come from, exactly? I remember rainbow since it was on assorted documentation and that was clearly placed into the game as an over all theme, but I don't remember anything about the codenames for BW2, XY, ORAS or USUM

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
It could mean one of two things. 1: It's something for the trading card game. Or 2: It's a term given to a new kind of Pokemon thats rarer than regular Shiny Pokemon.
I’m guessing it will be the final TGC set of Sun and Moon given the Ultra part of the trademark.

BCVM22

Given that it's from GF, it's for the games.

It’s from all three entities, per Serebii - Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures, Inc. - so it is not inherently game-related.

Even if it is solely for the games, playing the trademark guessing game is a nebulous effort at best. History is littered with sensational-sounding trademarks filed under Game Freak’s name that ended up being very little or nothing at all.

I’m not so naive as to think that’s going to tamp down the wildfire speculation, but it’s important to keep in mind just the same.

BCVM22

It's filed by GameFreak and Nintendo aswell, so I'd find that weird.

Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures, Inc. each hold one third of the copyright - that's why all three parties are on the trademark filing. You'll find their names somewhere in the fine print on a lot of Pokémon products that are not otherwise core titles.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It could mean one of two things. 1: It's something for the trading card game. Or 2: It's a term given to a new kind of Pokemon thats rarer than regular Shiny Pokemon.

Or literally anything else.

Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures, Inc. each hold one third of the copyright - that's why all three parties are on the trademark filing. You'll find their names somewhere in the fine print on a lot of Pokémon products that are not otherwise core titles.
Like? What's the latest example?