• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Speaking of babies, after a long period of disappearance, Baby Pokémon are back in TCG, as Basic Pokémon. Baby Pokémon traditionally had Abilities that allowed them to evolve quickly, but Cleffa and Happiny in this set are just regular Pokémon.

There are a few other species who haven't appeared for a long time like Kadabra due to Uri Geller lawsuit, and Sunkern-Sunflora because they suck.
That really is some huge news. For those who don't know, the last time the TCG has had a Pichu card was from Heartgold and Soulsilver. The baby Pokemon Tyrogue has only had five Pokemon cards since Gen 2. Some Gen 4 baby Pokemon like Bonsly had only one card, not including the promotional cards.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I haven't followed the card game since the Heart Gold and Soul Silver era, so I didn't know they had stopped making Baby Pokémon. That's really strange. Is there any particular reason why?

shoz999

I haven't followed the card game since the Heart Gold and Soul Silver era, so I didn't know they had stopped making Baby Pokémon. That's really strange. Is there any particular reason why?
No clue but it probably has to do with the fact that Baby Pokemon are basically a great way to search for a specific Pokemon from your decks. I say that because the newest baby Pokemon cards don't have the evolution mechanics anymore. For example, Cleffa no longer can evolve into Clefairy straight-away but instead gives you the chance to draw six cards with a coin toss. Actually that's another oddity about the baby Pokemon that I'm not too sure about. From the looks of it, you can't even evolve the new baby Pokemon cards in the regular way either.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I say that because the newest baby Pokemon cards don't have the evolution mechanics anymore. For example, Cleffa no longer can evolve into Clefairy straight-away but instead gives you the chance to draw six cards with a coin toss.

Really? Does that mean that it's impossible to evolve the new Baby Pokémon cards? The Baby Evolution gimmick was the only way to evolve them before, as Pokémon that evolve from Baby Pokémon are still considered Basic Pokémon. Have they changed something?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Only two Pokémon that are technically Baby Pokémon have had cards since the HGSS series: Togepi and Riolu.
However, those two were introduced in the same generation as their evolved forms (Togetic and Lucario respectively) and as a result they did not follow the same rules as the other baby Pokemon.

shoz999

Really? Does that mean that it's impossible to evolve the new Baby Pokémon cards? The Baby Evolution gimmick was the only way to evolve them before, as Pokémon that evolve from Baby Pokémon are still considered Basic Pokémon. Have they changed something?
I don't know as the news is still brand new. Even the TCG analysis guys are somewhat unsure as there's nothing in the card that states it can evolve into it's next evolution which breaks the tradition of the original baby Pokemon. From the looks of it, a lot of people are guessing you can't evolve baby Pokemon for the SM meta.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Yes. They are effectively single stage in this set. Baby Pokémon also had an additional ruling that made them partially invulnerable to non-Baby Pokémon's attacks, but this was removed in BW era apparently.

Pokemon Power

The Pokemon Youtube channel's been posting videos about the many regions of the Pokemon world, and people are assuming they're counting down to a new announcement on Pokemon Day. I wouldn't be surprised.

shoz999

The Pokemon Youtube channel's been posting videos about the many regions of the Pokemon world, and people are assuming they're counting down to a new announcement on Pokemon Day. I wouldn't be surprised.
Heheheh. You didn't complete that sentence. "I wouldn't be surprise if Gen 8 was announced after Alola."

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Or, it's just a Pokémon day celebration completely unrelated to game announcements. Do you really expect that they'll frame the Gen VIII announcement as a travel advertisement for a new region? Unlikely. Also, just look at the content of the videos. They focus almost exclusively on anime-exclusive locations and events. This very clearly was meant to have little to do with the games. Not to mention that they couldn't even make one of these videos for the new region, as there's no anime footage to use for it.

Maybe there will be an announcement on Pokémon Day, but if there is, it will most likely have nothing to do with these videos.

On the topic of those videos, I really like the instrumental remixes of the theme songs they used, especially the Johto one. Good stuff.

shoz999

Red finally gets his very own TCG card! Like Blue (Fem Protag), this is Red's very first appearance in the TCG as his own very card and this is his second appearance in the TCG since Red's Pikachu, which features Red's Pikachu. The card is called "Red's Challenge" and it's basically the Supporter version of "Computer Search" which was pretty OP as an item card during it's day, Supporter cards can only be played once per turn whereas Item cards can be played as much as you want.

429px-RedChallengeDoubleBlaze88.jpg

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Red finally gets his very own TCG card! Like Blue (Fem Protag), this is Red's very first appearance in the TCG as his own very card and this is his second appearance in the TCG since Red's Pikachu, which features Red's Pikachu. The card is called "Red's Challenge" and it's basically the Supporter version of "Computer Search" which was pretty OP as an item card during it's day, Supporter cards can only be played once per turn whereas Item cards can be played as much as you want.

429px-RedChallengeDoubleBlaze88.jpg
I expect Blue to get his own card eventually. Weirdly, despite how big of a character he is in the games, Blue has never appeared at all in the TCG.

shoz999

I expect Blue to get his own card eventually. Weirdly, despite how big of a character he is in the games, Blue has never appeared at all in the TCG.
I think it's actually pretty understandable. Red & Green (Rival) didn't really had names back than and Blue (Fem Protag) never existed in the main canon originally.

Pokemon Power

Well what do you know. As many predicted, tomorrow on Pokemon Day, we're getting a 7-minute Nintendo Direct, which will give us fans a first look at Generation 8! I think we're gonna get the title, plus at least one new Pokemon, maybe Mega Mewtwo Z.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Well what do you know. As many predicted, tomorrow on Pokemon Day, we're getting a 7-minute Nintendo Direct, which will give us fans a first look at Generation 8! I think we're gonna get the title, plus at least one new Pokemon, maybe Mega Mewtwo Z.
I think that we're getting the starters, maybe the box legends, the titles, and some game footage. I don't think that there will be a Mega Mewtwo Z.