• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
This is just like my one reoccurring dream I have except in the dream I'm always watching the newest Pokemon Nintendo Direct and it's the best day of my life before the dream cuts off at the reve- OH MY GOD YES! IT'S ACTUALLY HAPPENING!!!!!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSS!

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
This is longer than SM direct(5 minutes), but shorter than XY direct(11 minutes), which suggests we will either see:
1.A short teaser
2.Another spin-off related news(Mystery Dungeon? Pokkén DLC?)

Edit: Thumbnail has three Pokéballs, which suggests the starters. So I guess we are getting a short teaser(which would also confirm a good portion of the Regional Dex).

Last edited:

Xuxuba

This is longer than SM direct(5 minutes), but shorter than XY direct(11 minutes), which suggests we will either see:
1.A short teaser
2.Another spin-off related news(Mystery Dungeon? Pokkén DLC?)
To be fair 5 minutes is more than enough to showcase some game footage and the starters, it is just that back in SM they decided to waste those minutes by presenting a lot of concept art and a video of the previous games...

shoz999

To be fair 5 minutes is more than enough to showcase some game footage and the starters, it is just that back in SM they decided to waste those minutes by presenting a lot of concept art and a video of the previous games...
Really? I like to think of it as brilliant showmanship.

Xuxuba

Really? I like to think of it as brilliant showmanship.
Really? Personally, i prefer when they show us actual info other than concept art of things that might not appear in the game.

I guess it was a different and unexpected way to advertise things, but if they do the same thing now, it will stop being so.

shoz999

On a different note, I think most Pokemon games that aren't the main series games are actually announced in the Nintendo Directs like Super Mystery Dungeon or Pokken Tournament.

Zipper4242

Bewear is the most powerful being in the universe.
Considering how in their travelogue posts on Instagram, they said “Sinnoh Pokémon confirmed”, I am seriously hoping for Gen 4 remakes or an announcement of a playable Sinnoh in Gen 8 or Let’s Go Bidoof or (highly unlikely but I would just die if they announced it) Sinnoh remakes for 3DS.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Considering how in their travelogue posts on Instagram, they said “Sinnoh Pokémon confirmed”, I am seriously hoping for Gen 4 remakes or an announcement of a playable Sinnoh in Gen 8 or Let’s Go Bidoof or (highly unlikely but I would just die if they announced it) Sinnoh remakes for 3DS.
They're not doing Sinnoh remakes on the 3DS since iirc they said that USUM were the final mainline games on that handheld. We're in the Switch days!

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
IT'S HAPPENING!!!

6 AM though? Really? Why are Pokémon Directs always at such horrible times. This is important enough for me that I'll get up early for it, but I absolutely hate getting up that early.

maybe Mega Mewtwo Z.

What in the world could possibly give you that idea?

You never know. Especially since they've been breaking trends over the last few years.

How many times have we been over the fact that you can't use that as an excuse for absolutely everything. You might as well be saying, "Hey, you never know, tomorrow they might announce that they're cancelling Gen VIII, and instead giving us Pokémon Puzzle League 2. You never know, they have been breaking trends." That kind of logic just doesn't hold up to any scrutiny.

They've already confirmed that the games they teased for 2018 is Gen VIII. That's not happening, yet. And yeah, they're done on the 3DS, no need to worry about that.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
IT'S HAPPENING!!!

6 AM though? Really? Why are Pokémon Directs always at such horrible times. This is important enough for me that I'll get up early for it, but I absolutely hate getting up that early.
Considering it's a World Wide announcement, someone would have to live in poor time. Gen 6 was 3 hours earlier. The good news, if you miss it, you'll be easily be able to rewatch it. At least for me, I will be on my lunch break, even if I've finished the pudding.

While I believe that they will announce Gen 8, there is nothing to say a side game won't be announced as well. Actually I'm half expecting it.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Considering it's a World Wide announcement, someone would have to live in poor time

So are Nintendo Directs, but they're always at a much more reasonable time frame in my time zone (Around 2 PM typically). What makes this any different?

Of course I understand that someone has to get the short end of the stick. It just sucks to be the one.

Gen 6 was 3 hours earlier.

Honestly, I almost prefer that. At least that gives me a good amount of time to go back to sleep afterwards. With this, I have to get up two hours later, so I just might as well not go back to sleep.

Nockturne

Maybe the odd time is because they want it to fall on Pokemon Day for most people, so they tried to time it for when most of the world is on the 27th. And you could just sleep the extra two hours and watch it when you wake up, you don't what you're missing when your asleep.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Maybe the odd time is because they want it to fall on Pokemon Day for most people, so they tried to time it for when most of the world is on the 27th

True. I didn't consider that.

And you could just sleep the extra two hours and watch it when you wake up, you don't what you're missing when your asleep.

Doesn't really work for me, as I have to go straight to class once I wake up. I wouldn't even be getting up that early otherwise. There's no way I could sit through classes having that hanging over my head the entire time. Besides, I like the thrill of watching it live. I may not like it, but I won't pretend like it's not worth getting up early for.

Akashin

Of course I understand that someone has to get the short end of the stick. It just sucks to be the one.

I get where you're coming from, and I really want to empathize with you. But I'm having quite a lot of trouble seeing how the end of the stick you're holding is shorter than the people who have the Direct going live right as they start work/school at 9am. Getting up early to watch it before starting our day ain't an option.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I get where you're coming from, and I really want to empathize with you. But I'm having quite a lot of trouble seeing how the end of the stick you're holding is shorter than the people who have the Direct going live right as they start work/school at 9am. Getting up early to watch it before starting our day ain't an option.

Fair enough. As someone who will sleep until 12 PM if given the chance, there's not much worse for me than getting up early. But you're right, at least I have the option to watch it live.

Well, Mewtwo's been popping up a lot lately. Have you noticed?

Mewtwo's always popping up a lot.

That aside, other equally "likely" possibilities to "Mega Mewtwo Z" include, but are not limited to, a Mewtwo-exclusive Z-Move, a new, non-Mega Form of Mewtwo, a Gen VIII Regional Variant of Mewtwo, a new signature move for Mewtwo, a new generational gimmick for Mewtwo, and/or the introduction of Mewthree. There's a reason that no one is speculating that any of those things are happening, so why would you speculate that Mega Mewtwo Z would happen? It's completely and utterly baseless.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
That aside, other equally "likely" possibilities to "Mega Mewtwo Z" include, but are not limited to, a Mewtwo-exclusive Z-Move, a new, non-Mega Form of Mewtwo, a Gen VIII Regional Variant of Mewtwo, a new signature move for Mewtwo, a new generational gimmick for Mewtwo, and/or the introduction of Mewthree. There's a reason that no one is speculating that any of those things are happening, so why would you speculate that Mega Mewtwo Z would happen? It's completely and utterly baseless.
I really hope Game Freak is keeping their ears to the ground and can understand the fans' palpable Gen 1 fatigue, and decides against featuring Mewtwo for yet another generation.

This is just my opinion (from an old fart who began with Yellow), but I want Gen 8 to get away from Z moves and even mega evolutions entirely. I want it to be a soft reset and focus on evolving the turn-based mechanics, akin to 4th gen's physical/special split. We have received gimmicks for three generations in a row without any significant tweaks to the core mechanics, so I think a major change every four generations makes sense.

Generation 5 was triple battles, which didn't last. Gen 6 was Mega's, which is on life-support after receiving no new ones in Gen 7. Gen 7 gave us Z moves, which I can only hope to god is left in Alola. The exception to this trend is Alolan Pokemon variants, which obviously should become standard going forward, breathing new life into old or neglected Pokemon.

My personal assumption is we'll see the name of each version, the three starters, and a brief glimpse (give or take less than a minute) of gameplay.

Last edited: