• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Since HA monkeys are now the Pokébank distribution, chances are Tapus will be distributed next gen, most likely with different, retconned HAs. Perhaps they will have a quatro master after all?

This also retroactively means SwSh will not have sub-legendaries for Galar, at least none with HAs.

I believe I asked you about this already, but you never responded. What leads you to those conclusions? What does Hidden Ability distributions have to do with what we will and won't get next generation, especially new Pokémon?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The Mewtwo movie is looking absolutely gorgeous. I'm not sure I like the redesigned Mewtwo armor as much, but everything else looks extremely faithful to the original, and the 3D graphics are just amazing. Can't wait for this one.

Pokemon Power

I have to be honest. I don't know what to think about Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution. To me, it just looks like the animation style was the only thing they changed from the original. I mean, if the ending was different from the original then maybe I'd consider seeing it.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I have to be honest. I don't know what to think about Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution. To me, it just looks like the animation style was the only thing they changed from the original. I mean, if the ending was different from the original then maybe I'd consider seeing it.

I'm pretty sure that's the point.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
This movie overall is not worth my watch time. To me, it seems nothing more than more evidence that the Pokemon franchise has been leaning more towards Quick 'n' Easy cash money over creativity lately.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
This movie overall is not worth my watch time. To me, it seems nothing more than more evidence that the Pokemon franchise has been leaning more towards Quick 'n' Easy cash money over creativity lately.
The way I see it is, it's just the anime but I don't blame the anime crew for it rather the higher-ups for limiting their creative potential out of the sake of playing it safe.

BCVM22

It's enough to consider Detective Pikachu the REAL 22nd movie.

It is definitely not.

Whatever your favorite part of the franchise is, it was created for the purpose of making "cash money." It's an entertainment franchise. Every part of it exists to make money, one way or the other.

And in addition to that, CGI ain't cheap. Maybe it's not as expensive as it once was, but a 75-minute (or whatever) theatrical CGI money isn't being made for pennies. If it's not "worth your watch time," that's fine, but "they're just trying to make money now" is a false pretense because it presupposes that there was a time when Pokémon was some little known independent franchise being made solely for the love of art. If that period of time ever existed in the first place, it ended in... 1997?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It's enough to consider Detective Pikachu the REAL 22nd movie.

No, not really.

It's less than two hours. Assuming you liked the original movie, what reason is there not to watch? It's not like you'll be any worse off.

It has nothing to do with them not wanting to be creative. Mewtwo Strikes Back is one of the most popular of all the Pokémon movies, how is giving fans a gorgeous remake of one of their favorite movies a bad thing? And, if anything, this is them being creative. We've never had a movie like this before. Just like the other two Gen VII movies, they've decided to experiment with something new instead of using the same formula they did for 19 other movies.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
It has nothing to do with them not wanting to be creative. Mewtwo Strikes Back is one of the most popular of all the Pokémon movies, how is giving fans a gorgeous remake of one of their favorite movies a bad thing? And, if anything, this is them being creative. We've never had a movie like this before. Just like the other two Gen VII movies, they've decided to experiment with something new instead of using the same formula they did for 19 other movies.

The main issue is that the art style to put it simply divisive. Some people like the art style while others are put off by the doll-like appearance of the human characters. Also the first two Gen 7 movies were a bit more creative in presenting an alternative universe Ash rather than just re-release the first movie but with CGI graphics.

BCVM22

Also the first two Gen 7 movies were a bit more creative in presenting an alternative universe Ash rather than just re-release the first movie but with CGI graphics.

And those were fun, but A. they're almost completely forgotten already (as the movies often are! many of them just aren't that memorable) and B. they're kind of caught in no man's land this summer, because we don't quite have any movie-centric Generation VIII Pokémon yet, and the fact that it's AU Ash means they can't build off anything in the Alola part of the franchise. They could have collaborated with Game Freak's reveal schedule and worked with a Pokémon revealed far enough in advance to build a movie around it, but for whatever reason that didn't happen, and I don't think that's an inherently better approach than remaking Movie 1 in CGI and putting that in theaters for a summer.

My underlying point to this is that to whatever extent someone either likes this or is put off by it, it's going to be over and done with by the fall anyway and that will be that, and we'll all be in full Sword/Shield mode and absentmindedly asking "movie? what movie?"

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The main issue is that the art style to put it simply divisive. Some people like the art style while others are put off by the doll-like appearance of the human characters.

Out of curiosity, have you watched the trailer that came out yesterday closely? I would argue that the so-called "doll-like" appearance of human characters looks a whole lot better when they're moving more.

Also the first two Gen 7 movies were a bit more creative in presenting an alternative universe Ash rather than just re-release the first movie but with CGI graphics.

Between those two movies and this movie, I never claimed this one was any more creative than them, or even as creative as them, simply that it's more creative than the regular movies we got before I Chose You.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
full_1502405AmericaFrontccc.jpg
full_5479044AmericaBackccc.jpg

Today is Pokemon Snap's 20th Anniversary
Just heard this from some game sites but today is Pokemon Snap's 20th anniversary. For those who don't know, Pokemon Snap wasn't just a beloved Pokemon classic by Pokemon fans but it was actually one of the first Pokemon games to unveil Pokemon in 3D graphics. So it was a crazy big deal at the time to actually see Pokemon walking around in 3D, seeing them live their lives in these 3D environments. Not a lot of people realize this either but Todd Snap, the main character of Pokemon Snap, is also the first protagonist of both a 3D and console Pokemon game where you could actually rename him to something else like in the main series games on handhelds at the time. So Pokemon Snap was a big deal being one of the first 3D Pokemon games but it was also just in-general a good video game that showed how enjoyable and relaxing photography is, serving as an inspiration for similar photography games on other platforms in the future.
Holy Arceus, I feel old. I remember trying it out at a Blockbuster back when it first came out. Love it game wise. It's pretty fun and relaxing. Wish they'd do an updated version of it for the Switch.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
The new Nintendo report is out, lets see how our Pokémon titles are holding up:
-XY: 16.39M, a 0.02M increase this quarter.
-ORAS: 14.19M, a 0.02M increase.
-SM: 16.15M, a 0.01M increase.
-USUM: 8.37M, a 0.09M increase
-Lets Go: 10.63M, a 0.63M increase.

Overall, a pretty sluggish quarter for Pokémon aside from Lets Go. XY, ORAS, and SM had minimal increases and USUM really slowed down when compared to the last quarter where it sold around .2M. Detective Pikachu should push USUM over the edge and allow it to solidly take the 'second best selling updated version' title from B2W2 (8.52M), but for now the latter barely holds onto it for another quarter. As for Lets Go, it's doing rather well. It's not quite blowing up like a core focused mainline game, but it's at least pulling numbers like you would expect from a remake. Like with USUM I imagine Detective Pikachu will give it a shot in the arm and push it up over the next quarter though, so it's probably going to land around HGSS' numbers (12.72M) at the very least.

Not much else to say here, a rather low key quarter that will likely be the calm before the storm once the movie comes out and SwSh gets going, I look forward to seeing what the next quarter shows for the franchise.

Xuxuba

I don't really think Detective Pikachu will increase USUM's sales all that much, considering the 3ds is slowly dying and new Pokémon games are being made for the Switch.

I do think Let's Go Pikachu might have a increase on sales, as it is the last main series game released and it's more aimed towards the casual fans than USUM is, which would probably be more interesting for the potential new/returning players that the movie could bring.
Plus the game focus a lot on Pikachu, just like the movie.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
The illustrator behind the One-Punch Man manga is teaming up with Pokemon to illustrate art for a special line of merchandise that consists of shirts, bags, towels and even laptop carriers in Japan starting on May 25th. Art looks really fantastic. Reminds me of Pokemon Adventures with the action, the different game protagonists flying high up in the sky while working together against an all powerful threat with the view of the entire landscape including a majestic Colosseum in destruction.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

So long paper code cards! :D
Well so long events! I have NO space for that. Seriously. None. And traveling to a Target just for an event is a no go as they're too far to get to. I rarely go to the one of the ones in my area due to it.

I REALLY hope they don't pull this crap for the new Pokemon games. If so, some fans will be left out in the cold due to having phones with too little space for apps.

I could try downloading it and a QR reader (as my phone doesn't have one on it natively) and see if they can be moved over to my SD card. If that isn't able to be done, then it's a no go. I can't have stuff be hosted on my phone as I need every ounce of space to help run the apps that I already have on it.

I actually liked scratching off the stuff to get the code. It just fascinates me.
I liked the codes alright just in the fact that I didn't have to download anything to my phone. Now there shoots any kind of event.

I'll just work on getting a shiny Eevee via chaining.

Thank Arceus it's only around 14 mbs... but now onto seeing if I can move it to my SD card. It looks like future events are going through this. And if it's mainly through Target and if more stores in my area close, it'll be near impossible to get to one.

Well there shoots that. It can't be moved. -_- Really Pokemon? Really? I don't care if it's small. I NEED that space.

And scratch it being only 14 mbs. It's around 38...

Who is the genius who decided to have this be rooted to the phone? /facepalm

I know it's no big deal size wise for people who have large phones, but for people who don't... it's large.

Thankfully I have 2gbs left. But there is literally no room to play with. So there's no way in Arceus that I can ever update it (given that it's tied to my phone and updating anything that's tied to that wastes space I need). So I'm hoping that they don't force people to update their app too much. If it's a big update, I'm unable to do so.

Last edited: