1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Erik Destler, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member

I actually liked scratching off the stuff to get the code. It just fascinates me.

2. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Still miss you, Lorne. Staff Member

Well so long events! I have NO space for that. Seriously. None. And traveling to a Target just for an event is a no go as they're too far to get to. I rarely go to the one of the ones in my area due to it.

I REALLY hope they don't pull this crap for the new Pokemon games. If so, some fans will be left out in the cold due to having phones with too little space for apps.

I could try downloading it and a QR reader (as my phone doesn't have one on it natively) and see if they can be moved over to my SD card. If that isn't able to be done, then it's a no go. I can't have stuff be hosted on my phone as I need every ounce of space to help run the apps that I already have on it.

I liked the codes alright just in the fact that I didn't have to download anything to my phone. Now there shoots any kind of event.

I'll just work on getting a shiny Eevee via chaining.

Thank Arceus it's only around 14 mbs... but now onto seeing if I can move it to my SD card. It looks like future events are going through this. And if it's mainly through Target and if more stores in my area close, it'll be near impossible to get to one.

Well there shoots that. It can't be moved. -_- Really Pokemon? Really? I don't care if it's small. I NEED that space.

And scratch it being only 14 mbs. It's around 38...

Who is the genius who decided to have this be rooted to the phone? /facepalm

I know it's no big deal size wise for people who have large phones, but for people who don't... it's large.

Thankfully I have 2gbs left. But there is literally no room to play with. So there's no way in Arceus that I can ever update it (given that it's tied to my phone and updating anything that's tied to that wastes space I need). So I'm hoping that they don't force people to update their app too much. If it's a big update, I'm unable to do so.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  3. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

If someone has no room on their phone for a single app, that’s unfortunate, but that isn’t a majority of people and I don’t think that even represents a plurality of people. Most people have open space on their phone.

The reality is that events solely over Wi-Fi are less and less common now, and haven’t been used to distribute first-run Pokémon events for quite some time, and even then, people were very fond of complaining “well, I don’t have access to a reliable internet connection.”

With that reality acknowledged and with the fact that one is going to have to go to a store to get certain event Pokémon acknowledged, why wouldn’t they put this events in Target, or GameStop, or some other chain that has hundreds of locations nationwide?

The goal isn’t to get the events to everyone, not out of malice, but simply because that’s not possible. So the goal has to become getting the events to as many people as possible, and even more so than putting them in GameStop locations, putting them in a ubiquitous national retail chain like Target accomplishes that goal.

WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  4. WishIhadaManafi5

Oh I know. It's just an unfortunate reality these days. As for open space, that's relative. I have some, but not in the same amount as those with larger phones. (That said, if/when my phone gets to the point where I have to move up to a new one, I'll do so.)

I don't see how that would be, given how many Target stores have closed lately. It's in a similar crunch to Gamestop.

5. Dragalge

Dragalge Why do you hate Lorde so much?

Before someone suggests it, I’m sure these QR codes will have something in them (geolocation?) where you have to actually be at the store. So I don’t think taking a picture of it, posting it online, and then scanning it from your laptop will work lol.

Either way, I like this new method!

6. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Target operates over 1,800 locations across the United States. And that’s actually considerably fewer than GameStop, which operates over 7,200 locations, though the discrepancy isn’t surprising given the relative sizes.

Either way, it’s not much of a “crunch.”

7. WishIhadaManafi5

I'm thinking they're cutting their nose to spite their faces by doing this. Limited Target locations and so on could make it so some fans can't make it out to them.

I'm no fan of it.

That said, if I do take part in the events, it'll be something where I delete said app after its use. Every time.

8. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Again, anyone who finds travel to a Target to be that prohibitive probably wasn’t having a ton of luck with a GameStop either. They’re definitely not cutting anything to spite anything. Especially given that these are free events we’re discussing - what is Nintendo going to lose if anything, exactly?

9. WishIhadaManafi5

You bring up a good point there. Location wise. Less Target locations over the US to Gamestop ones. So if they just have them at Target, wouldn't that make it harder to even get events, given that not every area has access to a Target?

That's a bit of a false equivalency, since not everyone has issues getting to a Gamestop if they don't have a Target in the area. I have no issue myself getting to a Gamestop, as there are more of them in my area to get to.

10. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Nighttime Guardian

I'm not a fan of such a distribution either. I hope that they'll keep the phone bonuses in the Lets Go side. I don't want to borrow someone else's phone for every event, just because they can't be bothered to support Windows phones. It also seems very clumsy and unnecessarily complicated to introduce phone apps and requirements there just for events. What'd be wrong with a Nintendo zone that your Switch can connect to instead, just like Game Mania used to have for the 3DS? You took your 3DS to the store and turn it on there, it recognised there's an event ongoing and gave you a code. It's how I got Marshadow and Palkia.

11. Dragalge

Dragalge Why do you hate Lorde so much?

Best part about this is that you won’t have to worry about some employees trying to make you buy/pre-order something just to get a code (it’s never happened to me but I’ve seen some people experience that).

...unless they block the stand for some arbitrary reason

12. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

No, because they don’t correlate like that. Multiple population areas can be serviced by one larger Target store. GameStop’s reach is more localized, which is why they have far more locations, and they’re all in malls, strip malls, and outlots across the country.

The point remains, that this isn’t going to change much for most people as far as accessibility.

13. WishIhadaManafi5

To a point. Not everyone can travel to limited Target locations. (Whether it be due to distance, accessibility to transportation and so on.)

For example, there are 2 Target locations where I'm at. There are 5 or so Gamestop ones in my area. Comes down to being more practical to go to Gamestop. There's at least one of those that's closer in to get to. Target... not so much. I don't go to it as often, given the distance. Doubt I'm alone in that regard.

I disagree with you on that point, given the amount of locations being more in the latter stores as there are to the former ones.

I hope so as well. But going by some of the pics from the App that I saw on the store, it looks like they're heading in that direction for events. You bring up some great points (in regards to phones) on that one.

Just tested things out on my phone and it used over 41mbs just to log in. As for how much it uses when you're logged in, it's around 11 (thankfully less). But I'd hope that we're able to run it off of Target's wifi (or Gamestop's), so we don't waste cellular data. Some of us are on limited data and something like this could gobble it up.

14. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Happy to see them finally doing an event for Let's Go in the US. I was beginning to think there never would be one.

Not that it's a giant deal or even a problem, but this app thing is just another silly and unnecessary layer versus codes, which in turn were just a silly and unnecessary layer versus downloading a Mystery Gift via local wireless. To this day, I have not been able to figure out for the life of me what the point of these code (now app) events are. Why don't they just use the "receive via local wireless" Mystery Gift option like events in Gen IV and V did? I can see absolutely no advantage to the codes/app versus a local download. It's the same exact result in the end, but one doesn't require as much hassle. It's just confusing.

EDIT: Just realized that this app thing kind of sucks for me, because my brother and I would always get codes for each other, to save trips to Game Stop. This means that we'll both have to make separate trips. That's a bit obnoxious.

15. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Sure you can.

Doing it wirelessly requires an additional piece of equipment to be running at all times, and if it fritzes out, as tech occasionally does, ooboy, watch out, because people on Serebii are gonna be furious when they traveled fifty miles to their nearest Target only to find their wireless equipment stopped working. Code codes can be printed cheaply, bundled cheaply, and effortlessly delivered to Target locations nationwide on the weekly shipment truck, and using this QR code method doesn't even require that.

16. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Guess I've never really thought about that side of things. I don't even know how the equipment side of things works. Not that I would expect you to know, but has that equipment ever failed to work before, or is this just a hypothetical?

Still, I think the simplicity of it wins out, in my opinion. Assuming the distribution equipment isn't prone to breaking down (I certainly never experienced any issues), then I'd rather take the small risk, but have the system be simpler. Of course, that's simply my way of thinking about it.

17. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Has it ever happened to me? No. But there's no technology completely exempt from malfunction. Paper cards or a display with a QR code on it have never, to my knowledge, been subject to technical issues.

18. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

I meant more general. Have you heard of it happening. Of course it could happen, but if it's such a small chance that no one here has ever have it happen to them, then it's not that big of a deal.

But paper codes can run out of stock, which happened with regularity. I didn't get a Zeraora among other things because of that. Of course, this new QR app thing fixes that issue.

19. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

No, but I've also never gone looking for reports of it across thousands of store locations.

But then, the question wasn't "has it happened?", the question was "I can't possibly think of any reason why they'd do it this way."

None of this is that big of a deal.

Probably not a coincidence.

20. Hunter Zolomon

Hunter Zolomon Into the Shadows Staff Member

To me, it's not a huge hassle since I live 10 minutes away from Target. My phone also has a lot of space. However, everyone is in a different situation. Some people might not have access to a Target store, I get that.

I know for me, personally, I prefer receiving gifts through Mystery Gift. I realize that times are changing, though. Methods of gift distribution are going to change.