1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Erik Destler, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Speaking of unused types in the trading card game, is there an actual reason for why certain types are missing? That's always confused and bothered me.

On a somewhat related note, why do certain types have different names, such as Darkness instead of Dark?

2. mtqc

mtqc MY BEANS!

SerenaRulez likes this.
  3. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

It could be possible that Creatures is shutting down or in the process of being bought out by Nintendo. Although, Nintendo buying Creatures would give them majority ownership of the Pokemon franchise.

4. Zipper4242

Zipper4242 Bewear is the most powerful being in the universe.

What would that mean for us as fans?

mtqc likes this.
  5. RileyXY1

It means that Nintendo could have more control over the Pokemon franchise and what Game Freak does with the games, considering that they would be the majority shareholder.

Zipper4242, Ophie and mtqc like this.
  6. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before. Staff Member Moderator

Yep. I'm wondering if they'll do what they did with Animal Crossing. Give the workers more room to breathe and take more time to work on the games.

SerenaRulez, Ophie and mtqc like this.
  7. RileyXY1

Nintendo would probably do that because they would have majority control over the franchise if they bought Creatures, and Game Freak would be even more under Nintendo's control, which could lead to Nintendo buying them out as well.

WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  8. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

Don't raise my hopes like that lmao

9. RileyXY1

Of course, it is what would logically happen if Nintendo became the majority shareholder of the franchise.

10. Ophie

Ophie Salingerian Phony

Anybody watch Jeopardy! today? There was an entire board with the categories themed on Pokémon (though, in Jeopardy! tradition, only the last category, the one furthest on the right, is about it).

[​IMG]

For the record, the categories were about as follows:

Peek a Choo-Choo: Photographs and artwork of trains
    Geo, Dude: Natural geography as spoken by a surfer dude
    Odd-ish: Weird facts
    Slowpoke: Synonyms of "slow"
    Nine Tales: Folklore and literature, with nine stories total across the five clues
    Pokémon: Pokémon

The contestants looked like they were TERRIFIED of the Pokémon category and went through the clues in all of the other categories before going to that one, and Ann, the contestant on the right (from the perspective of the camera) who had to pick a clue when only the Pokémon ones were left, could be seen hesitating for a moment. The Pokémon category was also the only one on this board chosen in order from top to bottom.

They were going easy, knowing that the existence of Pokémon is general knowledge but very little of it is otherwise. The $200 clue was about which parade has a giant 50-foot Pikachu balloon, the $400 was about which mobile Pokémon game was released in 2016, the $600 clue was to name the process in which a Pokémon changes into a more powerful form (and to avoid confusion in case there's a hardcore Pokémon fan among the contestants, mentioned that it shares a name with the real-life process of animals changing over millions of years), and the $800 clue was about what someone who raises and battles Pokémon are called (comparing it to what one would call someone who manages race horses). Time ran out before they reached the $1000 clue. Would've liked to see if it was actually about in-depth knowledge, since the bottom clue in a Jeopardy! category is typically about things only a fan of the topic is expected to know.

(I'd make a more detailed recap, but my recording of this episode got corrupted. Sorry.)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  11. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

That's amazing. Before college I used to watch Jeopardy every weeknight, but just haven't had the time (or the cable) to watch the past few years. I would have been thrilled to see this pop up. I miss Jeopardy.

Ophie likes this.
  12. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before. Staff Member Moderator

Wow that's too cool. Wish I saw that part. Gonna have to see if there's a way to catch the full episode.

Ophie likes this.
  13. Zipper4242

They put the Pokémon part on YouTube last night!

Ophie and WishIhadaManafi5 like this.
  14. WishIhadaManafi5

Thanks. I'll try to watch it later on today. :)

Zipper4242 likes this.
  15. RileyXY1

Smogon has officially banned Dynamaxing and Gigantamaxing from OU.

16. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Sorry, minor rant. I've always hated the idea of Smogon. I've always felt like it's fans thinking they know how to balance the game better than the makers of the game. Also, it's just too dogmatic for my tastes. But now they're banning a core mechanic central to this generation's battle system? That's absurd, and taking things way too far.

wolf jani likes this.
  17. shoz999

shoz999 The goofiest-looking dog I've ever seen. I LUV IT!

[​IMG]

The final cover of the Pokemon Adventures SM mini-volume releases by Shogakukan has been revealed. Now I can't help but think... wait... can we now spoil the Zygarde/Necrozma stuff now that this is in the cover?

18. shoz999

shoz999 The goofiest-looking dog I've ever seen. I LUV IT!

Just found this out today but Takeshi Shudo, who is the lead writer of the Anime from 1997 to 2002 and passed away in 2010, is being recognized for a Lifetime Achievement Award for his work as a Screenwriter for Pokemon: The Movie along with Hisao Shirai who is being recognized for a Lifetime Achievement Award for his work as a director of photography on Pokemon: The Movie and the Pokemon anime by the Tokyo Anime Award Festival.

19. Zipper4242

New Pokémon direct announced for 1/9 at 6:30 PST, 9:30 EST!

Leonhart likes this.
  20. Nodqfan

Nodqfan Well-Known Member

Has a Direct ever happened this quickly before?

Venomshock likes this.