• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored
Personally, I define a generation as a group of games on the same system, with the same graphics/engine, and the availability to battle and trade between them. That's where the .5 in Gen 6.5 comes from, as the new Pokemon almost make it a new generation, but not quite.

Also a Gen 6.5 would mean no new starters, just the ones we already know, plus the same legendary mascots (in this case Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde)

I'm still hopeful for a Gen 6.5., especially since we could use more Poison, Bug and Ground lines in Kalos, and I think revealing new Pokémon until spring 2016 would be a good strategy, as opposed to the usual "Same game with 2 or 3 new things here and there" approach.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Would be really cool to have around 50 or 60 new Pokemon and updated Kalos with new places.

I'd rather just get a whole new Gen instead of this. I've just never seen the appeal of the "Gen 6.5" theories is all.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I rather they didn't bring in new pokemon for the last games of gen 6. It would be pointless if Gen 7 comes right after the last pair and it is better not to waste new pokemon like that but who knows what Game Freak would do at this point. It seems like a bad idea in my opinion.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I think they main reason behind Generation 6.5 is the small amount of introduced Gen 6 Pokemon.

I think most of these theories were born from the desire of fans to have more than 72, rather than from a technical point of view.
We've gotten used to having at least a hundred Pokemon every gen. And most fans don't really count Mega Evolutions of existing Pokemon.

Most people expected more, and are still hoping that a few more might be introduced, especially because we're still in Generation 6 and believe that the generation have yet to end not until the next set of games centering on Zygarde is released.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
I rather they didn't bring in new pokemon for the last games of gen 6. It would be pointless if Gen 7 comes right after the last pair and it is better not to waste new pokemon like that but who knows what Game Freak would do at this point. It seems like a bad idea in my opinion.

Perhaps they designed more than the amount that was introduced for X and Y and decided to split up the amount of Pokemon that would be introduced. It would certainly make sense considering the small amount of new Pokemon that were actually in the game. Perhaps a new area will be available in "Z" were these new Pokemon are "discovered".

BCVM22

None of that particularly makes sense, though. It's born chiefly of people who couldn't accept two years ago that Kalos only introduced 72 unique Pokémon, and two years later still can't really accept that. It's "well there just HAS TO BE more" syndrome, which manifests itself a number of different ways.

Again, "Generation 6.5" is about 10% sense and 90% wishful thinking.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
There's much more to the Gen 6.5 theory besides the lack of new Pokemon in XY.

-It's difficult to imagine how the blob could be a form of Zygarde, form changes typically do not result in drastically smaller and weaker looking Pokemon. So if it's not a new form, then it has to be a new species.
-They went out of their way to cram in all remaining nonevent Pokemon in ORAS despite there being 2 games left. Why would they shoot themselves in the foot and deprive themselves of incentive to get people to buy the last 6th gen game?
-Upgraded versions typically expand the distribution, and it would be hard to imagine how that could be done well with existing methods. XY is already filled to the brim with old Pokemon so adding more of them, especially to the Kalos Dex, would be detrimental and leave the game with too few unobtainable Pokemon. This would also decrease the incentive to buy all three games, as players that start with the new games would not have many Pokemon to buy XY and ORAS for.

It's hardly desperation and wishful thinking, I don't really care much how many Pokemon are in this generation. Adding new Pokemon simply makes the most sense as far as how to followup on XY and ORAS, it feels like the next logical step that would make 6th gen feel complete and continue to "surprise" the fans.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I think they main reason behind Generation 6.5 is the small amount of introduced Gen 6 Pokemon.

I think most of these theories were born from the desire of fans to have more than 72, rather than from a technical point of view.
We've gotten used to having at least a hundred Pokemon every gen. And most fans don't really count Mega Evolutions of existing Pokemon.

Most people expected more, and are still hoping that a few more might be introduced, especially because we're still in Generation 6 and believe that the generation have yet to end not until the next set of games centering on Zygarde is released.

I get that, but even though I was unimpressed by Gen 6's number of new Pokemon, I don't think GF has to appease us with new Pokemon in Z or whatever. I just don't think they made a second batch of Kalos Pokemon.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
None of that particularly makes sense, though. It's born chiefly of people who couldn't accept two years ago that Kalos only introduced 72 unique Pokémon, and two years later still can't really accept that. It's "well there just HAS TO BE more" syndrome, which manifests itself a number of different ways.

Have you forgotten about the 190 Pokemon that were originally designed? Some of which were withheld from Red/Green/Blue and introduced as Gen II Pokemon.

Is it too difficult to believe that they withheld some pokemon from these games to introduce them later? You can't necessarily rule this out.

And then there's the fact that Volcanion hasn't even been released yet we know that he is a sixth gen Pokemon and I highly doubt he won't be available until seventh gen.

However I can see where you are coming from, Game Freak made up for the "lack" of new designs for this region by introducing Mega-Evolutions.

I don't really care if they add or don't add any new Pokemon, but I guess we will find out in due time what they have up their sleeves.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I'd rather just get a whole new Gen instead of this. I've just never seen the appeal of the "Gen 6.5" theories is all.

Personally, the appeal I find in it is that it would be something new and unique. Not to mention it would add a whole lot of value to "Z Version." Instead of just being a revamped version of X and Y's story, it would also be like experiencing a new region with new Pokemon.

If a Gen 6.5 does happen, it probably won't be taking any designs away from 7th Gen, as the Pokemon introduced probably would have been planned since the beginning of Gen 6. I'd also say it's far from pointless. People get more excited for the release of a new generation because they get to see all of the new Pokemon. With this idea, we'd get this extra excitement for two games in a row.

Personally, I support the theory because there is that "10% sense" and it would be a fun, unique idea. I don't argue that it will happen, but I want it to happen because I find it to be a great idea. In all honesty, I think it would be a missed opportunity if they don't do it.

KarjamP

It's easier to jump to the conclusion that they either represent an entirely new generation or that it marks their twenty year anniversary due to the way they've formatted that graph, but a jump to a set of so-called "6.5 generation" games? I know fans are hopeful and that people are willing to believe anything, but this is just jumping to conclusions as we don't know for certain what's on their minds. After all, the only things we know for certain is that there are at least two more Pokémon that would be available within newer Pokémon games, both of which resemble Zygarde in some way. That, and the fact that there's event Pokémon that are yet to be officially revealed.

Personally, I'd hope for a new generation as I kinda like the mechanics of the Contest Spectaculars and the Super Secret Bases and don't want them to be overshadowed by a new game within Generation 6 (or generation 6.5, which is technically the same thing). But this is just me. After all, I don't really mind Game Freak proving me wrong, here.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
It's difficult to imagine how the blob could be a form of Zygarde, form changes typically do not result in drastically smaller and weaker looking Pokemon. So if it's not a new form, then it has to be a new species.
Just because it's small and looks weak, doesn't mean it's weak. This is Pokemon, for crying out loud. Also, there is multiple of them. Surely, when multiple green blobs come together, something will happen?

Also, there is always the possibility of the anime taking a bit more freedom with the green blob so in the next games it may not actually be a new Pokemon even though it may appear as such in the anime. It may just be a part of Zygarde and not a literal new creation.

So you might wait until we actually learn what the green blob is.

-They went out of their way to cram in all remaining nonevent Pokemon in ORAS despite there being 2 games left. Why would they shoot themselves in the foot and deprive themselves of incentive to get people to buy the last 6th gen game?
You have a point there.

Though bear in mind that not all event Pokemon are available yet and a bunch of new Mega Evolutions would provide plenty of incentive IMO.

Hasty

Moonside
Also note how X/Y and OR/AS had all the Pokemon (bar most Event Legendaries) available and that they released new Mega Evolutions (which are basically like new Pokemon) in OR/AS. It truly seems like the next logical step to introduce new Pokemon.

Just because it's small and looks weak, doesn't mean it's weak. This is Pokemon, for crying out loud. Also, there is multiple of them. Surely, when multiple green blobs come together, something will happen?

Also, there is always the possibility of the anime taking a bit more freedom with the green blob so in the next games it may not actually be a new Pokemon even though it may appear as such in the anime. It may just be a part of Zygarde and not a literal new creation.

So you might wait until we actually learn what the green blob is.

The green blob is most likely a new Pokemon or a Form while the first makes more sense as the blob looks really different from Zygarde. Why would they promote something that will be only visible when Zygarde uses its signature moves or something? Also the green blob got revealed just like Victini. I think it will be similar to Carbink and Diancie and the likes, the blob and Zygarde will be related but they won't be of the same Pokemon species.
Hopefully we will get more in the upcoming CoroCoro, which confirms if it is a new Pokemon, Form or not.

I would too. But as the new big Zygarde Form is pointing towards Kalos, the best new exciting thing would be if we get new Pokemon.

Last edited:

Winter Breeze

formely joseph.
Also note how X/Y and OR/AS had all the Pokemon (bar most Event Legendaries) available and that they released new Mega Evolutions (which are basically like new Pokemon) in OR/AS. It truly seems like the next logical step to introduce new Pokemon.
Or they put them so that people wouldn't have to pay for pokemon bank to get them back.

Akashin

Or they put them so that people wouldn't have to pay for pokemon bank to get them back.

...Yes, but Jynx's point is that they could easily have spaced all those Legendaries across ORAS and whatever is coming next. Regardless of your opinion on what they intend to do with the next set of games, cramming all of those Legendaries into ORAS is unusual.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
...Yes, but Jynx's point is that they could easily have spaced all those Legendaries across ORAS and whatever is coming next. Regardless of your opinion on what they intend to do with the next set of games, cramming all of those Legendaries into ORAS is unusual.

Masuda's own justification was that they wanted players to be able to get all Pokémon of the entire series with just X/Y and OR/AS. This is why all Pokémon, not just legendaries, but random stuff as well are available by simply having the four games. It might be due to joseph123's reasoning, since otherwise you couldn't use them due to the blue pentagon.

It is hard to say how true this is, and we are still missing considerable amount of stuff,* but here you go.

*Which, I guess would mean that third alternative to introducing new Pokémon/Megas would be to introduce some of the older Mythical Pokémon as standard Legendaries, since they have done that with Deoxys.

Akashin

Masuda's own justification was that they wanted players to be able to get all Pokémon of the entire series with just X/Y and OR/AS. This is why all Pokémon, not just legendaries, but random stuff as well are available by simply having the four games. It might be due to joseph123's reasoning, since otherwise you couldn't use them due to the blue pentagon.

It is hard to say how true this is, and we are still missing considerable amount of stuff,* but here you go.

*Which, I guess would mean that third alternative to introducing new Pokémon/Megas would be to introduce some of the older Mythical Pokémon as standard Legendaries, since they have done that with Deoxys.

There's a bit of distinction and not much difference between that explanation and joseph123's, but it ultimately doesn't change the fact that it leaves you wondering what the plan for the next set of games is if XY and ORAS were meant to be sufficient for all Legendaries.

I'm relatively convinced that Deoxys' departure from event-only status was just to give the Delta Episode a good finish (and why not Deoxys when space is involved anyhow?), and I very much hesitate to say that it should be used as evidence that other Mythicals will follow suit. It's not impossible, but I wouldn't say Deoxys makes it significantly more likely.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
If you think about it, assuming the next game is still a Gen 6 title, the main plot wouldn't really suffer. The plot would only revolve around Zygarde, Yveltal and Xerneas anyway.
Now, if we're talking about post-game, that's where fans starts to worry.

But post-game isn't just about Legendaries. GF can give us more battle facilities, sidequests, and areas to explore.
Although, it is disappointing not meeting any new Pokemon when visiting new areas.