• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Mh. The whole debate of what a Pokémon generation is is quite interesting.

I mean, logically, if they were to announce about 70 new Pokémon, why would they feel obligated to make it a new generation ? The most logical thing to do would be to make a new region with a whole bunch of new Pokémon, but they still have the power to make an exception and say "this is the second half of the sixth generation", don't they ?
It would break a lot of what we thought was a trend in the Pokémon industry, but I don't think anything would stop them. For some who thought the sixth generation felt incomplete or lacking, this would be something really cool.

I think we're about to see the first babies of the 7th generation soon. With the production speed increasing every year, it might look surprising to some, but if they are making new Pokémon, we know what's coming.

Last edited:

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Mh. The whole debate of what a Pokémon generation is is quite interesting.

I mean, logically, if they were to announce about 70 new Pokémon, why would they feel obligated to make it a new generation ? The most logical thing to do would be to make a new region with a whole bunch of new Pokémon, but they still have the power to make an exception and say "this is the second half of the sixth generation", don't they ?
It would break a lot of what we thought was a trend in the Pokémon industry, but I don't think anything would stop them. For some who thought the sixth generation felt incomplete or lacking, this would be something really cool.

i think we're about to see the first babies of the 7th generation soon. With the production speed increasing every year, it might look surprising to some, but if they are making new Pokémon, we know what's coming.

This is how I see it. If Gamefreak says it's the second half of the 6 gen batch, why couldn't it be?

Janovy

Banned
As long as the Pokemon stay within Kalos, for me it's sixth generation. New generation Pokemon typically appear with new regions, right? So even if we get new Pokemon, and the setting is still Kalos, they're still gen

However, if this new game somehow incorporates a region separate from Kalos, a new region, things get a bit more complicated. xD

Last edited:

OptimusZygarde

Butterfly fanatic
Game Freak has started to become unpredictable since Gen 5, so I think that what anybody speculates is fair game. I wouldn't be opposed to a new set of 70-something Pokemon to be set in a hypothetical Southern Kalos. In fact, I don't know why some fans(not here, elsewhere) are so vehemently against that idea when it could be a new and interesting concept for us to enjoy. We're all going to be buying the games regardless of what happens, so I don't see the point of getting in an argument about it(again, not talking about here).

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
As long as the Pokemon stay within Kalos, for me it's sixth generation. New generation Pokemon typically appear with new regions, right? So even if we get new Pokemon, and the setting is still Kalos, they're still gen

However, if this new game somehow incorporates a region separate from Kalos, a new region, things get a bit more complicated. xD

Maybe we should just do away with the term "generation" in general. It has no set outlines or basis (obviously), so it would make more sense to call them "natives" based on where they are from as opposed to when they were released and along with whichever other Pokemon.
Kanto: 1st Native
Johto: 2nd Native
Hoenn: 3rd Native
Sinnoh: 4th Native
Unova: 5th Native
Kalos: 6th Native

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
So (hypothetically), if one new Pokemon is released in X2Y2, then a brand new region with 100 new Pokemon in a new set of games a year later, you will actually refer to that generation as Gen 8? Not semantically, not officially, not technically, will you personally actually consider the one Pokemon the standalone 7th generation Pokemon?

Yes, 100%.

Because it will be the seventh and eighth times respectively that they have created and released new Pokemon.

Britney123

What if, as a sequel, in similar vein to B2W2 we have a completely new start... What if we start in an England like place? Home town in the countryside, then travel to London, to Cornwall, to Dover and then a ferry/plane/blimp/train to then Kalos?

An easy way to suggest the pokemon were originally found in that island, some migrated and some were new rare discoveries? I'd quite enjoy that really I like the idea of the beginning of Kalos becoming very high level and a place where the best travel to to battle the old champion (the XY player) in their hometown?

Then again maybe they decided to go straight into Gen 7 and have an absolute spectacle

Or maybe it's an absolute red-herring and someone's messed with a ditto lol

Still how very very curious...

Raravian

Ditto Pimp
They were. They are in the game's data.

I just want to nag about this a liiiittle bit by saying that the new Mega-Evolutions introduced in ORAS aren't even compatible with XY. As well as the new items, new moves, and Primal Reversion. We still regard it as the 6th Generation.

But I understand the point you are making, because Bulbapedia's definition is much like you have described here (new Pokemon, abilities, moves, etc. introduced = new Generation).

If I were to make up a completely new definition of the concept 'Generation' though, I would focus on the compatibility between games. Can they trade? Can they compete? Can they communicate on a similar level (meaning that the communication can go both ways, because this is what separates normal trades and transfers to PokéTransfer and the like)? Yes = Same Generation.

Last edited:

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I just want to nag about this a liiiittle bit by saying that the new Mega-Evolutions introduced in ORAS aren't even compatible with XY. As well as the new items, new moves, and Primal Reversion. We still regard it as the 6th Generation.

But I understand the point you are making, because Bulbapedia's definition is much like you have described here (new Pokemon, abilities, moves, etc. introduced = new Generation).

If I were to make up a completely new definition of the concept 'Generation' though, I would focus on the compatibility between games. Can they trade? Can they compete? Can they communicate on a similar level (meaning that the communication can go both ways, because this is what separates normal trades and transfers to PokéTransfer and the like)? Yes = Same Generation.

Mega Pokemon are really just form changes when you get down to it, and just like changing your appearance doesn't make you a new person, new formes don't make a new Pokemon. And really the only reason they don't work in X/Y is GameFreak's unwillingness to patch.

I guess the best way to look at generations is as a major change. New Pokemon are the easiest to identify as a major change.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
didn't Bonsly and Munchlax and some other stuff try to pull this schtick too, where they appeared in the previous generation?

Janovy

Banned
didn't Bonsly and Munchlax and some other stuff try to pull this schtick too, where they appeared in the previous generation?
They only appeared in the anime, never in actual generation 3 games.

Britney123

If this blob appears debuts in the anime and is the first look at the next gen then how weird... Ones that debut in the anime TEND to have little significance to the game

But the ones that debut in films are more significant to the games?

I'm just struggling to imagine this little blob being Gen 7's mascot a la Lucario when it's a weird cross between Goomy and Shuppet lol

OptimusZygarde

Butterfly fanatic
They only appeared in the anime, never in actual generation 3 games.

Actually, they did make non-playable appearances in Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness. Munchlax kept stealing your snacks that were laid out in the PokeSpots, and you had to rescue a Bonsly from the S.S. Libra.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
After looking at the silhouette more, I really don't think it has anything to do with Zygarde. Could be a drastic forme change, but it has almost no similarities that I can see.

Some have mentioned a crown, but Zygarde's and the mystery Pokemon's are completely different shapes and number of protrusions.

Some have mentioned eyes, but that seems ridiculous to me because Zygarde has several eyes and the mystery Pokemon has 2 and a diamond.

I'm not saying it's not Zygarde-related, but I'm not seeing much that says it is either.

As for the sketch, I have nooo idea. Not even going to try to speculate.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
The Anime Spoilers thread and Reddit have some fans stating that the screen flashed green and the diamonds we saw in the Corocoro scan blink green, both of those indicate that it's Zygarde.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
The Anime Spoilers thread and Reddit have some fans stating that the screen flashed green and the diamonds we saw in the Corocoro scan blink green, both of those indicate that it's Zygarde.

What I can see is one diamond and a normal flash of lightning. And Zygarde has zero diamonds on its body, so I'm not seeing a connection outside of possible green.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
What I can see is one diamond and a normal flash of lightning.

Except they saw the preview playing out, we're just seeing still shots of that same scene. Someone watching a preview is going to get the full picture that we're not seeing, and most of them support it being Zygarde based on their observations.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Except they saw the preview playing out, we're just seeing still shots of that same scene. Someone watching a preview is going to get the full picture that we're not seeing, and most of them support it being Zygarde based on their observations.

Based on a color. Again, I'm not saying it isn't Zygarde, but some green lightning isn't really much to go by.