• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
You mean Satoru Iwata, not Satoshi.

I guess the earliest we'll get news is, November. After the international release of Super Mystery Dungeon.

DoctorGar

Pokemon Expert
Yes maybe i was confusing him with Satoshi Hardudo.
Anyway i think we should still make a pokemon of him to celebrate

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Yes maybe i was confusing him with Satoshi Hardudo.
Anyway i think we should still make a pokemon of him to celebrate

Wait, I think you mean Satoshi Tajiri not Satoshi Hardudo. But still, I heavily doubt that Game Freak will ever release a new Pokémon of its own species during the middle of a generation and a Pokémon to celebrate the passing of such important person of Nintendo.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I agree that the Battle Maison returning by itself would be boring. I didn't even touch it in ORAS except to get the Wally rematch.

Either a Battle Frontier or the PWT would be nice, I don't mind which.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
Most people don't care about the Frontier Brains as much as the different battle styles.

If it was important back then it's important for the remake too, a remake is supposed to revisit that point in history.

Some people do care equally for both leaders and new battle styles though. For instance, I trully enjoyed 4 of the 7 Facilities in the Hoenn Frontier. The other 3 I only completed because of the Frontier Brains and the Symbols they rewarded. It is an incentive. You know, a "BOSS FIGHT". It is a common incentive in almost ALL videogames LOL... Personally, I wouldn´t´ve enjoyed the Hoenn Frontier if it only offered 7 different gimmicks/battle styles with the same one Leader for all of them. The variety of boss- battles is equally important for some fans, you know. That´s why I see the Maison far superior to the Battle Tower. It only had one leader for all it´s battle styles.

That didn't stop HeartGold and SoulSilver from being based on Crystal. Also, that's a terrible argument considering how easy it is to work around the 2-game gimmick if they really wanted to. Or better yet, they should've just remade Emerald considering how definitive it is compared to the subpar Ruby and Sapphire, we're at a point now where it's not that difficult to catch them all (especially if you buy a lot of the games). After all, GSC and HGSS allowed you to catch both mascot legendaries anyway.

There's nothing to disagree about, Objectively speaking, the Maison is not close to the Frontier at all. The 4 leaders within the Maison are irrelevant and do not make a difference when it's the exact same battle style as found in the Battle Tower. The Battle Frontier is the area where you have various styles at work. For Maison to be similar to the Frontier, you'd need to not only incorporate Single, Double and Multi Battles (Gen V onwards: Triple battles etc.), but also battles revolving around Natures (like the Battle Palace), rental Battles (Battle Factory), battles revolving around resource management (Battle Pyramid), Bracket Battles (Battle Dome), battles revolving around accuracy, offensive strategy, and HP management (Battle Arena), and battles testing your ability to adapt to different formats all at once (Battle Pike). I'm just listing off the top of my head as far as Gen III is concerned.

Yes there IS something to disagree about, and was just explained above. I liked the BF not only for the facilities but also for thr Brains. So having four different Brains makes the Battle Maison vastly superior to the Battle Tower. Also ... The Original Frontier and even the Sinnoh Frontier never had Tripple Battles and Rotation Battles. Once those were introduced with gen V, and the main battle styles became four instead of two, the Frontier has never returned. Have you asked yourself why? Because it was there for variety, and now that there is more variety in the standard styles, it isn´t so needed, according to Masuda. According to me, it IS needed, though. But he stated most fans don´t make use of the Frontier, so we shouldn´t even be debating it anymore LOL I hope he changes his mind about the Frontier, but however, he will not do that this generation.

Last edited:

Xuxuba

Why is nobody mentioning Black Tower/White Forest from B2/W2? Way more entertaining than PWT in my opinion, with actual EXP and actual prize once you complete it.

Leveling became so easy, we don't really need a facility that rewards you with exp anymore. We do need a facility that rewards you for completing it though. Even if that facility is another Battle Maison, they should at least give the players a incentive to make them beat all of the Chatelaines, maybe an exclusive item of clothing or a charm like the ones that we receive after completing the pokedex (a charm that makes egg hatch a bit faster would be great...).

Last edited:

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Just to deviate from the ongoing discussion...

We've gotten Maison twice now. I doubt they'll give us the same thing third time in a row in Z.
They have to give us something different this time.

Well, lets hope so. Out of "extra-curricular"-activities, the Maison (outside of Battle Testing) just comes off as a badly done Battle Tower, aside from the option to pause the challenge midway, which is just another way of saying: "Perhaps the older facilities were too challenging, we're going to make it easier".

Well even though I didn't think the PWT was innovative, I'd like to see something like it in "Z" and not another Maison.

It at least had far more novelty to it than the Maison. I know back in Best Wishes, people were excited to see those two "brains" from the Battle Subway. I quite frankly thought that was stupid as they didn't seem to have much personality back than, but I'll be damned if they stick the Battle Maison girls in the animé, because just seem like incredibly bland sprites...

Talking about innovative, I just want to curve a bit to the Emerald and Sinnoh Battle Frontier, because while the Battle Palace was very innovative, I doubt people actually liked it much or even understood the basic idea of how it worked. You can tell that they liked the idea of the Battle Dome, because the PWT is essentially the Battle Dome with previous gym leaders.

Emerald:
- Battle Tower: The Maison is just an upgraded version.
- Battle Palace: Very innovative, but very hard to even get a grip on. Probably the sole facility that I actually consider to be a failure.
- Battle Pike: Very innovative, battling, but also allowing the challenge to be an adventure between battles.
- Battle Pyramid: Very innovative, I loved the maze-style, sort of returned with the Black City/Tree Hollow-feature in B2W2?
- Battle Dome: Also one of my favorite things, PWT did this right.
- Battle Factory: Rental, still one of my favorite things to do. PWT added the feature as well.
- Battle Arena: The 3-turns battle was an innovative concept that they haven't touched upon since. I like the idea of being judged on performance.

Platinum:
- Battle Tower: Same as above.
- Battle Factory: Same as above
- Battle Castle: I didn't think it was too innovative. It's basically a Battle Tower without automatic healing, but gives you the responsibility to do so on your own accord.
- Battle Hall: Incredibly challenging, I really want to see something like it again. PWT did include the Type Expert-tournaments, which were awesome, but 1vsAllx10 was really good.
- Battle Arcade: Crazy fun! I imagined it as an upgraded Battle Pike, with the extra occurances.

So if I want anything to return as a new Battle Frontier, I'd pick the following facilities (or combinations) as they spin the generic battle rules and that's what the Battle Frontier should be about:

- Battle Tower: It's pretty much a necessity.
- Battle PWT (Dome/Factory): With all the PWT-features, such as rental/gymleaders/champion/type-experts. No point in splitting the Dome and Factory up anymore.
- Battle Arcade: The facility where the basics of battle (everyone starts off equal - aside from teamchoices) is immediately kicked aside before the battle.
- Battle Arena: The facility in which you are judged on battling style after the battle.
- Battle Pyramid/Pike/Black Skyscraper/Tree Hollow: The facility where the challenge is not just in the battling-aspect, but features exploring.
- Battle Hall: The facillity where your knowledge regarding your own pokémon is tested. You need to know every flaw if you want to succeed.
- Something new and refreshing

Why is nobody mentioning Black Tower/White Forest from B2/W2? Way more entertaining than PWT in my opinion, with actual EXP and actual prize once you complete it.

I did a few levels (I guess?) of the White Forest thing and than completely forgot about it.. That being said, I forgot where I even put my copy of White2 or if I even finished it..

Corsica is an island in France. It is located in the Mediterranean, maybe accessible from Lumiose city. Or maybe they make Britain and create new cities and locations.

I think Britain has a chance of becoming the region of the 7th Gen. Like France, it has a distinctive shape. France is having the European Soccer Championships in 2016 and for some reason, I think that's one of the possibilities why they chose it. Not just that, but it felt as if France was popular these last few years. Might just be me though. Corsica could definitely be a possibility, but they could just as well just improve on Kiloude City.

I agree that the Battle Maison returning by itself would be boring. I didn't even touch it in ORAS except to get the Wally rematch.

Either a Battle Frontier or the PWT would be nice, I don't mind which.

Exactly, it was a mistake putting the Maison in ORAS and I found it even stranger that they implied that it was the basis for the BF.

Akashin

Well, lets hope so. Out of "extra-curricular"-activities, the Maison (outside of Battle Testing) just comes off as a badly done Battle Tower, aside from the option to pause the challenge midway, which is just another way of saying: "Perhaps the older facilities were too challenging, we're going to make it easier".

It'd probably also be so that kids don't have to leave their games running if they don't want to lose their progress, what with the whole thinking kids don't have the attention span to sit and play for extended periods of time thing.

Exactly, it was a mistake putting the Maison in ORAS and I found it even stranger that they implied that it was the basis for the BF.

What's strange about it?

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I've refrained from posting here twice now because I hate debating on this topic so much, but the misinformed views of Maison need to be fixed.

How is a facility that's objectively better than the Battle Tower something that can be called a badly done Battle Tower? Especially when being able to take a break between any battle is the best thing to happen in any facility ever. Maison is a facility that actually gives an incentive to complete 5 different challenges in literally the same way that Frontier does for its Frontier Brains. A boss battle with an essentially "worthless" reward that says "yay you did it." This is actually a step up because the Double Battle challenges in Tower/Subway/Frontier have always been pointless, and this remedies the problem by adding an incentive for all 5 challenges the facility offers. As for the leaders themselves, they have no less personality than the Frontier Brains of the past, it's easy to tell they've put real effort into making each leader their own person despite the similar attire (and the attire is very deliberate). If we're being technical the Maison pretty much only differs from Frontier in the lack of gimmicks, bigger fanfare and physically different facilities so the comparison between Maison and Frontier is actually not a huge stretch (and one I hadn't considered before). Like that aside they're pretty much the same idea, just with a slightly different approach.

Yeah the gimmicks are a big deal but if we look at the gimmicks critically, a lot of the Emerald ones aren't even anywhere near as perfect as people think.

Tower: The generic, nothing to say here
Dome: Literally just shorter Battle Tower with a 2v2 restriction and the ability to mildly scout teams (which honestly does very little). This is an objectively awful battle style that's masked by the fancy tourney format, not really an amazing gimmick even though it looks really cool. Make this 3v3 and it's fine, but then Tower is roughly the same thing.
Pyramid: Hit-or-Miss, a gimmick that revolves around exploration is a well-approached gimmick but everything revolves around random encounters, an RPG feature that many people have grown to hate. An actually competent gimmick, but one that's easy to hate.
Palace: Total garbage.
Arena: Tower with a 3 turn limit per opponent and no ability to switch. Another well approached gimmick and probably the best gimmick in Emerald's Frontier, but the 3 turn limit can easily backfire and lose you a game that you should have won all because of the awkward rulings at the end of the 3 turn bouts. Honestly this is one I can't complain much about.
Pike: The one Silver Symbol you got. Luck: The Game. This is a gimmick that in itself isn't bad, but is actually terrible within the context of a win streak format. There's plenty of luck in the battles themselves, no need to throw a "oh your whole team is now asleep" card in there.
Factory: Very safe facility, a gimmick we've come to expect as a standard and is probably the fan favorite gimmick. I mean they even fit it into PWT to a degree so they know they did something right with Factory. This is actually a gimmick that supports the claim that people don't want to invest time into an involved facility these days because this is literally the exact reason people did Factory all those years ago.

I'll skip Platinum since I think those gimmicks were actually a much better approach (except Arcade because Luck: The Game V2), but most of us were assuming a recreation of Emerald's Frontier here anyway. Emerald's gimmicks were fun but a lot of them could've been better executed. The games would benefit from a whole new set of facilities honestly, no need to fixate everything on bring the old stuff back when they can do something better than Frontier.

KarjamP

I've refrained from posting here twice now because I hate debating on this topic so much, but the misinformed views of Maison need to be fixed.

How is a facility that's objectively better than the Battle Tower something that can be called a badly done Battle Tower? Especially when being able to take a break between any battle is the best thing to happen in any facility ever. Maison is a facility that actually gives an incentive to complete 5 different challenges in literally the same way that Frontier does for its Frontier Brains. A boss battle with an essentially "worthless" reward that says "yay you did it." This is actually a step up because the Double Battle challenges in Tower/Subway/Frontier have always been pointless, and this remedies the problem by adding an incentive for all 5 challenges the facility offers. As for the leaders themselves, they have no less personality than the Frontier Brains of the past, it's easy to tell they've put real effort into making each leader their own person despite the similar attire (and the attire is very deliberate). If we're being technical the Maison pretty much only differs from Frontier in the lack of gimmicks, bigger fanfare and physically different facilities so the comparison between Maison and Frontier is actually not a huge stretch (and one I hadn't considered before). Like that aside they're pretty much the same idea, just with a slightly different approach.

Yeah the gimmicks are a big deal but if we look at the gimmicks critically, a lot of the Emerald ones aren't even anywhere near as perfect as people think.

Tower: The generic, nothing to say here
Dome: Literally just shorter Battle Tower with a 2v2 restriction and the ability to mildly scout teams (which honestly does very little). This is an objectively awful battle style that's masked by the fancy tourney format, not really an amazing gimmick even though it looks really cool. Make this 3v3 and it's fine, but then Tower is roughly the same thing.
Pyramid: Hit-or-Miss, a gimmick that revolves around exploration is a well-approached gimmick but everything revolves around random encounters, an RPG feature that many people have grown to hate. An actually competent gimmick, but one that's easy to hate.
Palace: Total garbage.
Arena: Tower with a 3 turn limit per opponent and no ability to switch. Another well approached gimmick and probably the best gimmick in Emerald's Frontier, but the 3 turn limit can easily backfire and lose you a game that you should have won all because of the awkward rulings at the end of the 3 turn bouts. Honestly this is one I can't complain much about.
Pike: The one Silver Symbol you got. Luck: The Game. This is a gimmick that in itself isn't bad, but is actually terrible within the context of a win streak format. There's plenty of luck in the battles themselves, no need to throw a "oh your whole team is now asleep" card in there.
Factory: Very safe facility, a gimmick we've come to expect as a standard and is probably the fan favorite gimmick. I mean they even fit it into PWT to a degree so they know they did something right with Factory. This is actually a gimmick that supports the claim that people don't want to invest time into an involved facility these days because this is literally the exact reason people did Factory all those years ago.

I'll skip Platinum since I think those gimmicks were actually a much better approach (except Arcade because Luck: The Game V2), but most of us were assuming a recreation of Emerald's Frontier here anyway. Emerald's gimmicks were fun but a lot of them could've been better executed. The games would benefit from a whole new set of facilities honestly, no need to fixate everything on bring the old stuff back when they can do something better than Frontier.
Who are you to define what's great and what's garbage? It's called an "opinion" for a reason, and that's because opinions are subjective by their very nature. Thus, there's no "best" way to do things, nor is there a "worst" way.

You're no better than those who claims the Maison's inferior since you claim the Maison does things better. In reality, all that Gamefreak ever did was to make it less frustrating to play through (by allowing you to pause your streak) and making each Battle Tower mode more rewarding (by including boss fights against the chatelaines). Whether it really is better or not depends on the person.

Last edited:

Tuvixer

I think Britain has a chance of becoming the region of the 7th Gen. Like France, it has a distinctive shape. France is having the European Soccer Championships in 2016 and for some reason, I think that's one of the possibilities why they chose it. Not just that, but it felt as if France was popular these last few years. Might just be me though. Corsica could definitely be a possibility, but they could just as well just improve on Kiloude City.

I thing that in the 7gen they will go to South America, but that is only my guess.
It would be great if they make more of European countries, Germany, or the UK, or maybe multiple countries, like Scandinavia or the Balkans.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I thing that in the 7gen they will go to South America, but that is only my guess.
It would be great if they make more of European countries, Germany, or the UK, or maybe multiple countries, like Scandinavia or the Balkans.

Honestly, I don't like them using countries. I know that regions have always been based off of real-world locations in Japan, but those places where vague and unknown for the most part. I liked it better that way.

KarjamP

Honestly, I don't like them using countries. I know that regions have always been based off of real-world locations in Japan, but those places where vague and unknown for the most part. I liked it better that way.

I don't think "Kanto" would be vague and unknown for the Japanese themselves, due to it being the only region to be named after the very location it's the counterpart of. After all, that's where the real life Tokyo's located. My point being, just because you probably don't know about the regions doesn't mean a huge group of others will. In other words, I don't think Gamefreak cares if the location they're representing is well known or not.

Tuvixer

Vague and unknown to us westerners, but not for the Japanese. Some ideas as I remember were Indochina, UK, Germany(Kalos had wars with neighboring regions), South America and some other part of USA. I would really like to see more of Europe, but now that seems unlikely. So I will go with South America.
Maybe they can use Antarctica, but without the ice xD, that is unknown to all.
Sry if I misunderstood what you meant by unknown.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
A bit early for gen 7 talk in my opinion. I really want to know the method Zygarde uses for changing forms. It is weird that the 10% form is Dragon/Ground considering it is dog like but I had never expected Zygarde to change its type in the first place. The complete form is one that I really like to use.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
but I'll be damned if they stick the Battle Maison girls in the animé, because just seem like incredibly bland sprites...

The Chatelaines? I have no issues with them: I just think the Maison is a boring battle facility, same as the Tower and Subway were in my opinion. That's why I want it gone in "Z".

KarjamP

A bit early for gen 7 talk in my opinion. I really want to know the method Zygarde uses for changing forms. It is weird that the 10% form is Dragon/Ground considering it is dog like but I had never expected Zygarde to change its type in the first place. The complete form is one that I really like to use.
I believe it's because the dog form's still technically made up of the same slug-like Zygarde Cells and Zygarde Cores as the other forms, just in less numbers.

Last edited:
The Chatelaines? I have no issues with them: I just think the Maison is a boring battle facility, same as the Tower and Subway were in my opinion. That's why I want it gone in "Z".

I highly doubt that they will remove the Maison. Something like that hasn't happened in any 3rd game or sequel before.
Hopefully they will expand the area(like making a new Frontier or just expanding the Maison itself) or give us something completely new beside it(like PWT).

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I don't think "Kanto" would be vague and unknown for the Japanese themselves, due to it being the only region to be named after the very location it's the counterpart of. After all, that's where the real life Tokyo's located. My point being, just because you probably don't know about the regions doesn't mean a huge group of others will. In other words, I don't think Gamefreak cares if the location they're representing is well known or not.

Vague and unknown to us westerners, but not for the Japanese. Some ideas as I remember were Indochina, UK, Germany(Kalos had wars with neighboring regions), South America and some other part of USA. I would really like to see more of Europe, but now that seems unlikely. So I will go with South America.
Maybe they can use Antarctica, but without the ice xD, that is unknown to all.
Sry if I misunderstood what you meant by unknown.

Yeah, that is the case. Maybe I should rephrase what I meant. I'm just not necessarily a fan of seeing the different bits of culture and stereotypes that the games become themed after. In Gens 1-4, even though the regions were based off of real-world locations, it didn't necessarily feel like it because they didn't go out of their way to make a giant Pokemon version of Paris or New York City, or incorporate other references such as characters speaking French.