• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
I don't even think AZ's Floette is a basis for it. The story implied that Floette was either that particular colour anyways when it met AZ, or as a result of being revived with AZ's Ultimate Weapon. So it doesn't appear to be some sort of trainer exclusive thing.

Or it could be the same phenomenon as Ash-Greninja. Where the Trainer-Pokemon bond manifests itself on the Pokemon. With the use of the Ultimate Weapon making it permanent.
But at the end of the day, just a theory.

Speaking of which, we talk about Volcanion not being released yet..
What about AZ's Floette still not being available?

Torpoleon

Or it could be the same phenomenon as Ash-Greninja. Where the Trainer-Pokemon bond manifests itself on the Pokemon. With the use of the Ultimate Weapon making it permanent.

I suppose AZ's Floette could be made available in the next game or there could just be no event for it, like the Azure Flute in Gen 4.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Seeing a game announcement a few days before corocoro would definitely be neat. I wonder if we would get movie news along with the announcement? This month had no mention of movie news for next month but I think it is still possible. AZ's Floette in the game could be interesting but I wonder if he would be willing to part from it if you can obtain it. Anyway, I keep expectations to a bare minimum but Pokemon Z or whatever it may be called seems likely to be announce in December. I wonder if Volcanion would be announced in December or early next year?

BurningWhiteKyurem

But then, wouldn't Floette's disappointment with AZ destroy whatever bond they had and thus revert itself back to regular colours? That's why I don't think Floette is like Greninja. I'd compare it more to Spiky-ear Pichu

As for the actual event, I think it and Volcanion will be reserved for the upcoming game(s). Floette possibly having a larger role in the story?

R_N

You said the same about Mega Sableye before he got released. Smogon's been wanting this guy banned for around a year now. For being that good.

That was me overlooking a pokemon's potential at a time where we could make educated guesses about how it will perform since mega pokemon had already been out (so we could gleam at general stat distribution since it's always +100 and they had descriptions of what it focused on). Yeah I was wrong and disappointed in what it seemed to be, but there was an actual argument available for both sides.

this is people continually telling themselves that this game, that hasn't even been announced yet, will be super amazing because oh it's got an extra year & how it has the presumed main team on it. I feel like I've seen this song and dance before and people's expectations get so high they are invariably let down.
I'm not saying to assume the worst, just that it's easy to let your expectations get out of hand.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
That was me overlooking a pokemon's potential at a time where we could make educated guesses about how it will perform since mega pokemon had already been out (so we could gleam at general stat distribution since it's always +100 and they had descriptions of what it focused on). Yeah I was wrong and disappointed in what it seemed to be, but there was an actual argument available for both sides.

this is people continually telling themselves that this game, that hasn't even been announced yet, will be super amazing because oh it's got an extra year & how it has the presumed main team on it. I feel like I've seen this song and dance before and people's expectations get so high they are invariably let down.
I'm not saying to assume the worst, just that it's easy to let your expectations get out of hand.

First: We don't know if Z is even gonna have an extra year of development. It could be six months, or four months extra months. Or it could not even be a Z game!

Second: if GF are making Z, it is most probably been made by "B Team", because Team A is probably busy developing Gen VII, with Masuda in charge. ORAS was developed by Teams A and B (plus some extra staff that helped GF).

So yes, people shouldn't expect the game to be better than the rest of Pokemon games because A) It is unreasonable to expect this, and B) The games are very good already.

R_N

First: We don't know if Z is even gonna have an extra year of development. It could be six months, or four months extra months. Or it could not even be a Z game!

Second: if GF are making Z, it is most probably been made by "B Team", because Team A is probably busy developing Gen VII, with Masuda in charge. ORAS was developed by Teams A and B (plus some extra staff that helped GF).

So yes, people shouldn't expect the game to be better than the rest of Pokemon games because A) It is unreasonable to expect this, and B) The games are very good already.

Is there any actual proof that ORAS was a joint venture of teams more so than usual, I imagine they dont literally have 2 entirely separate teams on this, thinking on it...
maybe someone should dig through the credits one of these days

BurningWhiteKyurem

Funny how things don't change much around here regarding expectations with Pokemon games. I've seen some extremely optimistic posts about postgame content in 'Z' (while somehow disregarding what Masuda has said and the general end result of Gen VI games), and which Team is working on what game (while simultaneously forgetting that we don't have that kind of information).

It's almost becoming a violent cycle.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
Is there any actual proof that ORAS was a joint venture of teams more so than usual, I imagine they dont literally have 2 entirely separate teams on this, thinking on it...
maybe someone should dig through the credits one of these days

I have researched the matter personally, and what I found out is:

- An interview with Masuda, in which he reveals the XY project was made by a 120 members team.

- An interview with Masuda and Ohmori, where Ohmori confirms ORAS was produced by a 100 members team.

Since the current Game Freak team only has 81 members, this means that not only the complete GF team developed both games, but outer staff (from Nintendo, I asume), actually helped them to speed up the process with both projects.

So, the full GF staff + 40 extra members made XY. And the full GF staff + 20 extra members made ORAS. It makes sense that XY would need a little more extra members, since it isn't a remake, like ORAS.

So, yes, I think this pretty much confirms ORAS was given a treatment that usually only original games get (the full team working on them), as opposed to most other remakes/third games/sequels which are only made by half of the team, since the other half is busy with next gen already.

And about Z I think it's a safe bet to asume that it is being developed by Team B only, since Team A would be busy with gen VII. Which, on the other hand, partially explains why they are taking longer to announce Z. Smaller staff = slower creation of the project.

Last edited:

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics

- An interview with Masuda, in which he reveals the XY project was made by a 120 members team.

- An interview with Masuda and Ohmori, where Ohmori confirms ORAS was produced by a 100 members team.

Since the current Game Freak team only has 81 members, this means that not only the complete GF team developed both games, but outer staff (from Nintendo, I asume), actually helped them to speed up the process with both projects.

So, the full GF staff + 40 extra members made XY. And the full GF staff + 20 extra members made ORAS. It makes sense that XY would need a little more extra members, since it isn't a remake, like ORAS.

So, yes, I think this pretty much confirms ORAS was given a treatment that usually only original games get (the full team working on them), as opposed to most other remakes/third games/sequels which are only made by half of the team, since the other half is busy with next gen already.

And about Z I think it's a safe bet to asume that it is being developed by Team B only, since Team A would be busy with gen VII. Which, on the other hand, partially explains why they are taking longer to announce Z. Smaller staff = slower creation of the project.

But by the time the A team both developed Platinum and HG/SS at the samr time, team B was busy to develop the 5th generation. And I remember they said they started with BW early 2008. That are also only 2 years of development while XY started 2010 with XY taking 3 years by both teams. Yeah XY needed all the time for the big change to a 3D overworld and the massiv amount of polygon models for the pokemon, but still.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
But by the time the A team both developed Platinum and HG/SS at the samr time, team B was busy to develop the 5th generation. And I remember they said they started with BW early 2008. That are also only 2 years of development while XY started 2010 with XY taking 3 years by both teams. Yeah XY needed all the time for the big change to a 3D overworld and the massiv amount of polygon models for the pokemon, but still.

Most likely B team developed Platinum and HGSS, while A team started BW around 2008. Team A does the main projects, while Team B does the side projects.

What you are forgetting is that B2W2 and XY, started developement at the same time, so while Masuda and Team A were developing XY, Takao Unno and Team B were developing B2W2. Which means XY only used the full staff during the second half of the production period. During the first half of XY development, Team B was making BW's sequels...

While ORAS used the full team during the entire production period, since no other game was developed at that time.

And XY being the FIRST 3DS project they made, they needed a lot of time just to change all the 700 Pokemon from Sprites, to 3D polygons, this alone would have required months, I guess. Masuda said in an interview, that for ORAS, they had made a lot of the work already in XY (meaning the 3D models, the PSS System, Super Training, Amie, Battle Maison, etc). All are in ORAS, but were made before ORAS production started, so as you can see, XY saved ORAS a lot of work. And it could be argued that ORAS has been in production for more than a year, if we count all those things done during XY's production time.

They were making XY, but in reality, they were also making ORAS, before they really started to produce it, if you know what I am saying.

Last edited:

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Using the amount of staff to determine which team worked on what game doesn't really work, since most modern Japanese game development typically involves subcontracting out to a bunch of smaller companies for assets and engines and all sorts of wonderful things; XY was developed by over 500 people, not necessarily because Game Freak combined their internal teams, but because they partnered with companies beyond just Nintendo SPD that probably never got credited.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
Using the amount of staff to determine which team worked on what game doesn't really work, since most modern Japanese game development typically involves subcontracting out to a bunch of smaller companies for assets and engines and all sorts of wonderful things; XY was developed by over 500 people, not necessarily because Game Freak combined their internal teams, but because they partnered with companies beyond just Nintendo SPD that probably never got credited.
You could confuse people with how you worded it.

XY project involved 500 people INCLUDING localization staff (the people who translste the games, including new Pokemon names to french, german, korean italian and Spanish), etc.

BUT THOSE GUYS DON'T COUNT as part of the staff members that "create the games". The guys that "create the games" are, as already said by Masuda: 120 people for XY, and 100 for ORAS.

I think Masuda is perfectly aware of the difference between "500 people were involved in the XY project" and "120 people developed XY and 100 developed ORAS".

Last edited:

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
You could confuse people with how you worded it.

XY project involved 500 people INCLUDING localization staff (the people who translste the games, including new Pokemon names to french, german, korean italian and Spanish), etc.

BUT THOSE GUYS DON'T COUNT as part of the staff members that "create the games". The guys that "create the games" are, as already said by Masuda: 120 people for XY, and 100 for ORAS.

You think there were 400 people on localization, then?

The localization people were credited, and they don't number 400.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
There are some interesting theories on what Pokemon Z or whatever would have when it comes out. Some say both Kalos and Hoenn are in one game. Others say we are getting a southern part of Kalos. A number of people think that the game would basically be the same as XY games but with Zygarde instead of Xerneas of Yveltal. December is slowly approaching and the big news that corocoro promised us may or may not contain an announcement. I heard some people say that the new main series game would be released in February for the anniversary but it seems a bit too close to December if we are getting an announcement. Anyway they releasing RBY on the virtual console on the anniversary and they probably don't want Z to take the attention of them but that is my view on the matter. When Game Freak is ready for the announcement, then we will know soon enough and we can enjoy the moment when it is announced.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
You think there were 400 people on localization, then?

The localization people were credited, and they don't number 400.
All the other people that are not localization staff and make the number 400... are still not part of the staff that CREATED the games. Quality checks, special thanks, and many other people unrelated to the creation of the gsmes, but which took part of the project, got their names mentioned on the list you gave me...

I mean, you are discrediting Masuda himself, which is funny. I think he can count better then us. And he gave official numbers of staff members that created the games... 120 people participated in the creation of XY, the rest were not involved in the creation of the game.

But you know what? They have only been hired to help the GF full staff. If GF had more Game Freak free staff members, they would have used THEM, rather than hire external people. They only hired all those hundreds of external extra staff members, because their ENTIRE resources (81 devs) were not enough.

Nobody asks hundreds of external people for help if he has free, unused staff members from his own company unused.

And by the way, GF only have ONE team. They only split in two, when they are making two games at the same time, like when making Platinum and HGSS (or B2W2 and XY) , for example.

When they only have one project in development, like in the case of ORAS, they use the entire staff for that project. They don't give holydays to half of their team, you know...

Last edited:

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Hold up a second:

There seems to be an assumption going in here, which is that the numbers are full staff + 40/20 extra. What if it was half the staff plus 80/60 extra?

Another is that everyone devoted all their time to both projects. It couldvery well be that everyone does contribute to teams (and have done so in the past, e.g. with Pt and HGSS, BW and B2W2) but half the team focused on one and the other on... the other. Which makes sense - it'd be silly for the teams to work completely separately from each other, and if you contributed something to XY or ORAS then you should be credited, but it doesn't necessarily mean there wasn't still two teams present with each team having one game as their focus.
When they only have one project in development, like in the case of ORAS, they use the entire staff for that project. They don't give holydays to half of their team, you know...
Well, we don't know ORAS was the only one in its time to be developed. Z, the likely next game, may very well have been worked on since XY was released, and we know games typically take years (multiple) to be made start to finish. Alternatively, the other half of the team could work on something completely different (Game Freak haven't just done Pokemon games of late). But I'm not convinced by your arguments for the full team being on hand for ORAS.

Last edited: