• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

BCVM22

He's an artist. He makes art. He drew a piece for the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS campaign - not even the game, just the publicity campaign. He drew the cover art for the latest 3DS Sega compendium. Is it that odd that he would be doing a little bit of publicity art for the 20th anniversary of the franchise that made him famous?

R_N

Does he make concept art for something unrelated to a new game?

He's done character/concept art for the films and the tcg (& I'm talking new artwork, not just the reuse of the usual artwork)
Having him do a rendition of Red for a new special 20th anniversary figurine wouldn't be out of the question.

Also, like, he's still an artist for hire. He did the artwork for those sega 3d collections, too.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Sugimori has taken some freedom as an artist as of late.

Look at this strange yellow bird that was spotted in Sinnoh last week.

WlF2dug.png

Tuoko

I'd prefer we get Kanto sequels instead of remakes. Another Kanto remake just wouldn't really have much to offer besides "KANTO IN 3D!!!11111" and Mega Evolutions for Blue and Giovanni.

Sugimori has taken some freedom as an artist as of late.

Look at this strange yellow bird that was spotted in Sinnoh last week.

WlF2dug.png

That Chocobo still looks like a Pokemon to me. xD

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I'd prefer we get Kanto sequels instead of remakes. Another Kanto remake just wouldn't really have much to offer besides "KANTO IN 3D!!!11111" and Mega Evolutions for Blue and Giovanni

This x1,000,000

Like, I loved ORAS because Sapphire is the first Pokémon game I ever played and I love the nostalgia with the updated graphics and mechanics, but a SECOND remake for any game is too much.

Honestly, Gold and Silver were basically the Kanto sequels. What about a sequel to GSC and RBY? Like, we start out in Kanto as we would in RBY but then be able to advance to Johto, like a reverse GSC? Updated gym leaders, rosters, Elite Four, Champions, story, Team Rocket, all the good stuff.

That sounds wayyyyyy better to me than a RBY remake.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I fully agree that a sequel sounds like a much better idea and is preferable to a remake, but I wouldn't agree that there's no point in doing a remake. It's been just as long since a Kanto game came out as since the original Hoenn game came out. If enough time has passed for a Hoenn remake, then enough time has passed for a Kanto remake. Just as much that was added to Hoenn could be added to Kanto, at least that's the way I see it.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Honestly, Gold and Silver were basically the Kanto sequels. What about a sequel to GSC and RBY? Like, we start out in Kanto as we would in RBY but then be able to advance to Johto, like a reverse GSC? Updated gym leaders, rosters, Elite Four, Champions, story, Team Rocket, all the good stuff.

That sounds wayyyyyy better to me than a RBY remake.

The problem with GSC is that cramming two regions into the same game has an adverse effect on the region design and content. They only have a finite amount of time and money they can use to work on the game, so if they have to account for two regions, they can only do half as much extra content and the two regions will end up feeling barebones just as they were in GSCHGSS. It'd be preferable to have a game solely focusing on Kanto that can flesh out the region more than GSC, FRLG, and HGSS did. If they're revisiting Kanto again they should focus on modernizing the experience, add new areas, fix the design of some of the older ones, throw in new Pokemon to give the Kanto Dex some much needed variety, add extra content and sidequests, and flesh out the storyline.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
I was under the impression that Kanto was only added because Iwata's compression job was so good they had a ton of extra room, and was never in the initial plans.

Kein

AKA Silktree
I was under the impression that Kanto was only added because Iwata's compression job was so good they had a ton of extra room, and was never in the initial plans.
Iwata made it possible, but the idea was already in place. CoroCoro said as early as April 1997 that the world map would be "several times bigger than that of the previous games". I also recall a 1997 magazine saying that the player would be to travel all over Japan, which was probably an exaggeration, but still goes to show that Game Freak considered more than one region to begin with.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
In about 14 days time, corocoro is going to come out and reveal the news for the movie. My guess would be Eternal Floette or Zygarde appearance in movie. I think that March, April or May is when the next main series game is announced.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
We did though, in the famitsu article.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RSnYMWSFaFE/maxresdefault.jpg
The small portion of red we see is decidely different from 20th anniversary red. When you compare the two, its obvious this is another redesign. More based on the original, but markedly different.
-Brown Hair akin to FRLG Red, opposed to the black hair.
-Higher Collar.
-More detailed pockets.
-Either the hair spikes are higher or gone completely.

I'm not saying this is concrete evidence of anything. I just find it highly irregular to create a modern visualization of the original art, and then do something markedly different for a proper Trainer Art.

Does he make concept art for something unrelated to a new game?

Though the designs are different, Red is getting a figurine.

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
honestly I'm starting to get hyped for whatever is next. I mean in all honesty we have the XY&Z anime, I'm pretty sure that all but confirms what's next. but why red is being given this treatment when we haven't seen kanto since gen IV is weird to me. I would be so excited for FRLG remakes or sequels or whatever. or a Z version or XZ & YZ, whatever's next I'm getting hyped and I think they're going to announce something big soon. I'm just surprised they don't advertise a reveal any time soon

R_N

honestly I'm starting to get hyped for whatever is next. I mean in all honesty we have the XY&Z anime, I'm pretty sure that all but confirms what's next. but why red is being given this treatment when we haven't seen kanto since gen IV is weird to me. I would be so excited for FRLG remakes or sequels or whatever. or a Z version or XZ & YZ, whatever's next I'm getting hyped and I think they're going to announce something big soon. I'm just surprised they don't advertise a reveal any time soon

He's getting this treatment beacuse it's the 20th anniversary and the prevailing theme thus far has been HEY REMEMBER THE GOOD OL DAYS (and also these event pokemon) and he's the original protagonist

also he was in gen 5, technically.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan

Kanto has already been remade. They are celebrating the 20th anniversary with RBY on virtual console. Anyway, Z or whatever the next Kalos game is the likely candidate. The announcement can be come out of the blue at any time.

_Suicune_

I am annoyed that New Zealand is excluded from the monthly events but I should of expected this to happen. As for the 20th anniversary, we got RBY on virtual console which makes remakes pointless and Z should be the main series game to be announced.

I went to EBgames today, and the guy there said they won't have Mew codes until the middle or end of the month. He did seem to talk as if it would come to NZ though. Not sure why it would be delayed like Hoopa was, but not for Australia too this time.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
The problem with GSC is that cramming two regions into the same game has an adverse effect on the region design and content. They only have a finite amount of time and money they can use to work on the game, so if they have to account for two regions, they can only do half as much extra content and the two regions will end up feeling barebones just as they were in GSCHGSS. It'd be preferable to have a game solely focusing on Kanto that can flesh out the region more than GSC, FRLG, and HGSS did. If they're revisiting Kanto again they should focus on modernizing the experience, add new areas, fix the design of some of the older ones, throw in new Pokemon to give the Kanto Dex some much needed variety, add extra content and sidequests, and flesh out the storyline.

Kanto and Johto are still smaller than all the other regions, so making a game about these two regions would work out and even two bigger regions could be in one game. Mapping those together isn't much of a work. GSC Kanto was barebones, because the Kanto of RBGY wouldn't fit into the cartridge. In HG/SS, they could do that and they included most of the things that were missed in GSC minus two of the caves.

And yeah nowadays mapping the regions and designing them isn't the hardest work. Two big regions shouldn't be much of a problem.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I do recall Masuda(?) saying that they can include all the regions into one game if they want. But they'd rather not... unless it can be done in an interesting way.

If we could come up with a way to really make that interesting, then it’s something we’d implement – but for me, personally, as a theory, I think it would be more fun for us all to enjoy different locations and then share that experience together than all have the same experience in the same region. — Junichi Masuda
Source: Q&A session on Twitter back in 2014

They wanted each game to have just one region so players would be able to focus and fully explore its environment, get to know its people, as well as the Pokemon that live around it, and learn about its culture, myths and legends.

I think this is one of the reasons why the recent regions are no longer connected, and is now based on different countries.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I do recall Masuda(?) saying that they can include all the regions into one game if they want. But they'd rather not.

They wanted each game to have just one region so players would be able to focus and fully explore its environment, get to know its people, as well as the Pokemon that live around it, and learn about its culture, myths and legends.

I think this is one of the reasons why the recent regions are no longer connected, and is now based on different countries.

This too. I think it's best to give each region its own distinct experience, shackling Kanto and Johto together prevents them from giving the regions a sense of individuality.