• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

PokeTimmy

Collector
Not to steer conversation away from Magearna, but I have a question about news I just learned about - the virtual console Generation I games that are soon to be released on the 3DS.

Does anyone know if (a) pokemon caught in the virtual games are transferable to other games and/or PokeBank? And (b) Does anyone know if the Mew Glitch will still work in the virtual console games?

I would love to have a Mew with my own OT, so if we can somehow catch Mew in the virtual console games and transfer him over to our pokebank, I would be one step closer to having a complete set of "OT: Timmy" pokemon.

BCVM22

Does anyone know if (a) pokemon caught in the virtual games are transferable to other games and/or PokeBank?

Completely no - there's no connectivity with anything but the other Generation I Virtual Console releases.

And (b) Does anyone know if the Mew Glitch will still work in the virtual console games?

We don't know yet. One would think re-releasing these games digitally would be a good opportunity to go in and clear out all of the many Generation I glitches, because there are a lot of them and they could all stand to be scrubbed out. But the only change we're positive of is that they can connect to other Generation I Virtual Console releases with local wireless acting in place of the long-defunct and no longer possible link cable play.

PokeTimmy

Collector
Completely no - there's no connectivity with anything but the other Generation I Virtual Console releases.

We don't know yet. One would think re-releasing these games digitally would be a good opportunity to go in and clear out all of the many Generation I glitches, because there are a lot of them and they could all stand to be scrubbed out. But the only change we're positive of is that they can connect to other Generation I Virtual Console releases with local wireless acting in place of the long-defunct and no longer possible link cable play.

Ah ok well that's a bit of a bummer. Thank you for the info!

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
With the last update, Shuffle lost a lot of necessary stages. I wonder how long it will take until we have everything covered with if this rate continues.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
With the last update, Shuffle lost a lot of necessary stages. I wonder how long it will take until we have everything covered with if this rate continues.

speaking of which, i just had enough of shuffle when i reached galvantula and deleted it. Of the 3 free to start games, shuffle is the only unfair one. i never thought i'd see so much BS in a pay2win game but then again, shuffle, rumble and picross are the only ones i played :p. im glad i don't have to play such terribly designed stages with artificially raised dificulty. for example, in aromatisse's stage i saw it had an extra pokemon that being spritzee. i did the logic thing and caught spritzee to reduce the number of pokemon on the board. and what happened? they replaced spritzee with happinni anyway so it was worthless. Some stages i just had to wait a week, saving the 500 coins i got every day so i could spend them on meowth's sunday stage with mega mewtwo y and 3 psychic types which allowed me to use complexity -1. when i got to galvantula, every 2-3 turns having 2 columns switched by galvantulas and blocks + freezing entire lines i just had it. picross and rumble at least haved fair gameplay, the way to access it is the bad part, shuffle is garbage. But that's how they make us pay and i'm not ok with pay2win so byebye shuffle, i don't want to see you ever again.

rambling aside and changing topic, if they say they kept the original games as they were, i think they won't bother to iron out the glitches. and i'm ok with that. the glitches don't happen during regular gameplay and you have to got out of your way to do them. besides, i want to get mew there since i'm unable to get the serial code for it.

Not to steer conversation away from Magearna, but I have a question about news I just learned about - the virtual console Generation I games that are soon to be released on the 3DS.

Does anyone know if (a) pokemon caught in the virtual games are transferable to other games and/or PokeBank? And (b) Does anyone know if the Mew Glitch will still work in the virtual console games?

I would love to have a Mew with my own OT, so if we can somehow catch Mew in the virtual console games and transfer him over to our pokebank, I would be one step closer to having a complete set of "OT: Timmy" pokemon.

You won't be able to transfer the pokemon probably (the way they're coded, their moves etc. is just too messy for that to be likely), but there's no reason that a lot of glitches would suddenly stop working. You'd essentially have to recode the game, which considering even the original developers throw up their arms and shrug when asked about it, seems unlikely to the point of being able to say pretty confidently, that that isn't going to happen. I'd imagine they would've have pushed the releases way more if that was the case to ensure they recoup the costs. Bear in mind they haven't even bothered to put a bit of money into localising Green, which would probably have sold well considering it's the one pokemon game most of us have never played. Even just patching some of the issues (like making more stable data/safe crashing for 'impossible' pokedex entries) would probably make more problems - a lot of 'glitches' are simply the code 'working', just in a situation the programmer didn't expect it to be in, you can't just wipe 'em out without getting rid of stuff that makes the game function. It's a beautiful knot of code.
Even if it appears to be fixed, there are probably 20 different ways of getting your own Mew - 'The Mew Glitch (tm)' is the simplest, but by no means the only way. If we know how to rewrite the game from the inside to turn it into Pong, we can probably get a Mew.

The only glitches I can see there might be an issue with, are the ones that relied on the game being ran/emulated at a certain speed (the 3DS being faster than the GBC, in layman's terms), but even they might pass muster depending on how the game's being emulated. Some would also cause some pretty big vulnerabilities if they got to the 3DS itself, but they should be sandboxing all Virtual Console games already (meaning keeping the game in it's own 'box' so it can't affect anything else), so it shouldn't require reprogramming.

And pure opinion here; The Pokemon people are bad at working out what people want sometimes, but in this case I think they know that we want that authentic childhood experience. And if that includes Missingnos and Mews and 255 Master Balls then so be it.

tl;dr
Unless they've sat and recoded the whole game (which would be a waste of time and money and is highly unlikely), I'd say you'll almost certainly be able to get your OT: Timmy Mew, just not in anything other than Red, Green, Blue or Yellow.

Aside from that, dollars to donuts they're going to be showing the Nintendo NX for the first time at E3. Masuda is also a general composer/producer as well as doing their Pokemon business, and if they're showing off audio quality there could be other reasons for their possible attendance. Or it could be first look at Gen 7 on the NX. Be as hyped or as indifferent as makes you happy. :)

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
rambling aside and changing topic, if they say they kept the original games as they were, i think they won't bother to iron out the glitches. and i'm ok with that. the glitches don't happen during regular gameplay and you have to got out of your way to do them. besides, i want to get mew there since i'm unable to get the serial code for it.

There are some though that do mess up normal gameplay, such as Focus Energy lowering your Critical Hit Ratio or the Ghost-Type being not very effective against the Psychic-Type. It's glitches like those that really have me crossing my fingers that they do glitch fixes.

Firebrand

Indomitable

To explain what some of the other posters have said: The way IVs were calculated back in Gen I were quite different from the way they're established now, and that's one of (I think the biggest?) reason that we weren't able to transfer pokemon from Gen I-II over to Gen III, but because they've kept the systems uniform since RS, we're able to migrate up pokemon all the way from the third generation games.

There are some though that do mess up normal gameplay, such as Focus Energy lowering your Critical Hit Ratio or the Ghost-Type being not very effective against the Psychic-Type. It's glitches like those that really have me crossing my fingers that they do glitch fixes.

I think it is possible we may see some of the more noteworthy glitches for the rationale EnglishUmbreon13 said above, yeah, I think it's also likely that they may have fixed some of the more glaring Gen I bugs like the two you mentioned above. Granted, the Ghost type fix isn't going to do much as the only ghost type move that doesn't do fixed damage in Gen I is Lick.

I think it is possible we may see some of the more noteworthy glitches for the rationale EnglishUmbreon13 said above, yeah, I think it's also likely that they may have fixed some of the more glaring Gen I bugs like the two you mentioned above. Granted, the Ghost type fix isn't going to do much as the only ghost type move that doesn't do fixed damage in Gen I is Lick.

Yeah, concurring with that. I'd classify those as errors more than glitches. I'm still not sure they'd do anything more than they had to, but those are the sorts of things where it should just be tweaking one minor aspect.

(Nerd bit: Well, might be more complicated for Focus Energy, as if I'm remembering the code correctly, things were essentially in the wrong order, if you didn't use FE the game *2 crit chance, or it skips to /2 if you did, leading to FE effectively quartering your chance. But iirc that meant that the game effectively had twice the number of crits it should've had (hence why they were so common and stuff like Persian could wreck teams) so it would lead to a bit more game changing effects than simply 'fixing Focus Energy'. Doesn't mean they couldn't do a halfway step like keeping the *2 error and still modifying FE, but *waves hand* there's a lot you could do. If they don't want the hassle they'd probably leave that one, and as you said, the ghost fix is essentially pointless, though I think easier. I reckon they'll leave the original code as is and only add the link cable emulation bit)

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
The only precedents for other VC games being "fixed" are cases involving copyrights and epilepsy/flashing worrying. The Pokemon games don't merit any special attention in regards to fixing bugs; if something works that isn't supposed to (or the other way around), the fault will lie with the emulation itself.

Play FRLG if you want something "fixed."

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan

wow, you're right, i didn't even think of those. oh the leech toxic seed is gonna be awesome now that i know if it :D. with powerful moves such as lick (that didn't even work properly), leech life and twineedle, no wonder psychics were so unstoppable. there was not even 1 pokemon that had SE moves on psychics that was not hit supper effectively by psychic moves. gengar, beedrill, golbat and venomoth. scyther and pinsir had no bug tipe moves and it's truly a endurance test of your psychic pokemon. slowbro is a scary monster with amnesia. i'm gonna enjoy the 1st gen in a different way, now that i know all the bugs.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Sure, maybe, but... why? As in, what's leading you to that conclusion and away from the numerous others that don't involve Xerneas and Yveltal? That's the point, is the "why?"

Because all third mascots are connected to the other two. Rayquaza was summoned to stop Kyogre/Groudon, Giratina manifested to stop Cyrus' apotheosis with Dialga/Palkia, and Kyurem is the husk Zekrom and Reshiram splintered off

BCVM22

And of those, one out of three actually had the first two being involved with a new Forme of the third one. It's just an odd possibility to fixate on and keep pushing above all others, is all.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Because all third mascots are connected to the other two. Rayquaza was summoned to stop Kyogre/Groudon, Giratina manifested to stop Cyrus' apotheosis with Dialga/Palkia, and Kyurem is the husk Zekrom and Reshiram splintered off

Zygarde's relationship with Xerneas/Yveltal may not have anything to do with its cores. I don't think it does. We know that Zygarde's Cores monitor the environment and take on its Complete Forme when the environment is threatened, and Xerneas/Yveltal's life vs. death conflict could easily accomplish just that. So I think that's more likely to be the connection between the three. It makes the most sense since most of the third mascots have some kind of role that involves mediating conflicts involving the other two.

Akashin

Yeah, it seems much more likely that Zygarde will be the Rayquaza to their Groudon and Kyogre rather than the Kyurem to their Zekrom and Reshiram. That is to say, a mediator rather than something literally connected to them.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
That Serena artwork on the new 3DS theme looks really bizarre to me. I guess that's what happens with non-Sugimori artworks sometimes.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
That Serena artwork on the new 3DS theme looks really bizarre to me. I guess that's what happens with non-Sugimori artworks sometimes.

I got the same feeling as well. To me, the biggest culprit were her eyes; they almost make her appear more shallow or something.