• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I have to say, it really feels like they've been struggling for new ideas for designs with Pokemon ever since they've just started revamping old Pokemon with mega evolutions, and now there's new forms of older Pokemon. I do actually quite like the new designs so far though, and I kinda expected something like this to be introduced for years ever since they made gender differences between some Pokemon in the 4th gen.

This begs the question though, are ALL Pokemon that have a different form in the Alola region, going to be that form? For example, are regular Vulpix going to exist alongside the new form? If I were to transfer a Sandslash from an older game into this one, will it suddenly change into an ice/steel type? I certainly hope that isn't the case, and I see no reason why the forms can't co-exist alongside each other in a single game, but it's gotten me wondering nonetheless, and I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere online yet.

Pretty sure this will only be ones that you find on the islands.

Alola Exeggutor seems to have brought the "Pokemon have officially run out of ideas" brigade out in full force. Again.

Yeah...and I'm starting to think that most if not all Kanto Pokémon are getting an Alolan form which should definitely mix things up for when we return to Kanto in the post-game. I'm all for it, by every means! Not a fan of a snow covered Sandshrew/slash, though.

Also, contrary to the belief that Kiawe is on the north eastern island as the trial captain, I think, in this instance, that it will be Mallow - meaning this would be Akala island?

Nockturne

So somehow a walking coconut tree in the past was still okay? We still had weird Pokemon way back then.

I think its a combination of it being wierd and its a re-imagining of an old Pokemon rather than coming up new ones.

Even though there have been a ton of new ones.

And re-imagining an old one still constitutes a new idea.

I have to say, it really feels like they've been struggling for new ideas for designs with Pokemon ever since they've just started revamping old Pokemon with mega evolutions, and now there's new forms of older Pokemon.

But that relies on the notion that the reason they introduced megas was because they couldn't think of any new Pokemon (which obviously can't be true or we wouldn't have Gen 7) when it really seemed to be more about making older pokemon that hadn't aged well more viable, and make kick *** favorites even more kick ***.

And whats the difference between revamping a old mon with a Mega and revamping it with a new standard evo?

Were they running out of ideas in Gen 2 when they revamped Scyther and Chansey with Scizor and Blissey? Were they running out of ideas in Gen 4 when the came up with Weavile, Roserade, Yanmega etc rather than just creating new evolution lines?

It just seems to me like a lot of people think if they personally don't like a design/mechanic its because GameFreak "ran out of ideas" couldn't think of anything better rather than, GameFreak disagrees and thinks its a good design/mechanic. Like the sheer volume of fan art out there and constant supply of artists should show how hard it would be for a company with the resources of GameFreak to run out of ideas.

Rio!

Composer
Were they running out of ideas in Gen 2 when they revamped Scyther and Chansey with Scizor and Blissey? Were they running out of ideas in Gen 4 when the came up with Weavile, Roserade, Yanmega etc rather than just creating new evolution lines?

It just seems to me like a lot of people think if they personally don't like a design/mechanic its because GameFreak "ran out of ideas" couldn't think of anything better rather than, GameFreak disagrees and thinks its a good design/mechanic. Like the sheer volume of fan art out there and constant supply of artists should show how hard it would be for a company with the resources of GameFreak to run out of ideas.

All this right here. I mean, personally Exeggutor was never a joy for me to look at in the first place, and the new design/typing isn't doing anything for , at all (I usually like the concepts/lore behind Dragons in Pokemon, but the overgrown tree still baffles me). Still, it's nice that there is more variety in the mix now, and once nearly forgotten Pokemon can finally have a better chance to shine, as well as see more use.

And whats the difference between revamping a old mon with a Mega and revamping it with a new standard evo?

Were they running out of ideas in Gen 2 when they revamped Scyther and Chansey with Scizor and Blissey? Were they running out of ideas in Gen 4 when the came up with Weavile, Roserade, Yanmega etc rather than just creating new evolution lines?.

The differences with those Pokemon is, they're different Pokemon. Mega evolutions and Alola forms are just different versions of the same Pokemon. I dunno, I prefer complete new species or new, genuine evolutions to older Pokemon over simple temporary mega evolutions. I do like the new forms, as I stated in my original post, but I hope this generation isn't full of just new forms of old Pokemon like the 6th was mostly just mega evolutions rather than new mons.

And Scyther and Scizor look different enough from each other that childhood me didn't initially realise Scizor was an evolution of Scyther.

For anyone keeping count, that's 6 new Alola Pokémon (excluding different forms) and a further 9 forms we've had revealed to us today, and that's excluding Minior's minor in-battle change!

Makes me wonder what we're going to get for CoroCoro and then on the 12th officially, with the former promising a look at Alola's islands and the latter, well, perhaps more Alolan form Pokémon? Finally some Mega Evolutions? Some more evolutions for Alolan Pokémon?

Boy, this is going to be a great month! :D

Creyk

For anyone keeping count, that's 6 new Alola Pokémon (excluding different forms) and a further 9 forms we've had revealed to us today, and that's excluding Minior's minor in-battle change!

Makes me wonder what we're going to get for CoroCoro and then on the 12th officially, with the former promising a look at Alola's islands and the latter, well, perhaps more Alolan form Pokémon? Finally some Mega Evolutions? Some more evolutions for Alolan Pokémon?

Boy, this is going to be a great month! :D

It's high time for us to get the second evolutionary part of the starters, so that.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I am confused. Is the news they talking about is the corocoro news or will there be news with corocoro stuff?
... I don't understand what you're asking. Are you referring to the news coming on the 12th? If so, we're not sure, but it probably will just show the CoroCoro stuff.

I am confused. Is the news they talking about is the corocoro news or will there be news with corocoro stuff?

This month we get:
1st: today's reveal (or yesterday's, depending on your time zone)
8th - 12th: CoroCoro leak
12th: official video/website update (possibly covering CoroCoro, but likely showing something in addition if that is the case)
17th: Gamescom
19th - 21st: World's (any reveals are likely to happen in the closing and/or opening ceremony)

And that's if they then decide to not sneak something in for the latter end of the month (though, seeing as this is two months in a row now, I assume we'll probably get something at the start of next month too)

Pokemon Power

This month we get:
1st: today's reveal (or yesterday's, depending on your time zone)
8th - 12th: CoroCoro leak
12th: official video/website update (possibly covering CoroCoro, but likely showing something in addition if that is the case)
17th: Gamescom
19th - 21st: World's (any reveals are likely to happen in the closing and/or opening ceremony)

And that's if they then decide to not sneak something in for the latter end of the month (though, seeing as this is two months in a row now, I assume we'll probably get something at the start of next month too)

We are just about three months away from the release of Sun and Moon. Remember, three months before X and Y came out, they revealed Mega Evolutions.

R_N

We are just about three months away from the release of Sun and Moon. Remember, three months before X and Y came out, they revealed Mega Evolutions.

Honestly, I'd say that the Alola variants of old pokemon are about on par with mega evolutions

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Honestly, I'd say that the Alola variants of old pokemon are about on par with mega evolutions
Alola forms don't appear to get a power boost, tho.

R_N

Alola forms don't appear to get a power boost, tho.

They are not literally on par with mega evolutions in terms of gameplay (probably, anyway), but in terms of surprise or major shake up. Mega Evolution was probably presented as a bigger deal, but these Alola variants are still a big departure.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Even though megas were presented as a bigger thing by far, new variants are SOOOOOOOOO much better and more hype imo. They are essentially pseudo new pokemon because they are going to be found in the wild and are actually just like that on their own with out needing megas stones and stuff.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I probably won't stay up again like I did last night. I wait until around 8 am the next day for future news. Anyway, we might see some new variants later on in the upcoming months.

ebevan91

I probably won't stay up again like I did last night. I wait until around 8 am the next day for future news. Anyway, we might see some new variants later on in the upcoming months.

8AM is actually when the news seems to always release in my time zone. So I just wake up an hour earlier and watch the trailer then go back to sleep for an hour or so. It has worked out perfectly so far since the announcement of Sun/Moon.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
8AM is actually when the news seems to always release in my time zone. So I just wake up an hour earlier and watch the trailer then go back to sleep for an hour or so. It has worked out perfectly so far since the announcement of Sun/Moon.

Same time for me, it works out perfectly.

That's true but just seems with the release of this new z-attack thing and new alola forms megas imo will be removed now, I hope I'm wrong but I'm curious if it will hold 2 bracelets or u can choose which one u can have on team

BCVM22

That's true but just seems with the release of this new z-attack thing and new alola forms megas imo will be removed now, I hope I'm wrong but I'm curious if it will hold 2 bracelets or u can choose which one u can have on team

Or the Z-Ring has a visible circular inset on the inside of the wrist where a Key Stone could sit. And it does.

Mega Evolutions are as much evolutions/Formes as any such past changes, and you wouldn't think they went to the trouble of designing however many Mega Evolutions just to abandon them in Generation VI. Until and unless we learn explicitly that it is not in the game, there's no more reason to think Mega Evolution is gone than there would be to believe stone evolution or time of day evolution or trade evolution are gone.

Last edited: