• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Any of them can use 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt. Besides starting level, I don't think there's any difference between the different hat Pikachus.

Some of them have different moves. I know that the Hoenn and Sinnoh hats have Iron Tail and Unova has Electro Ball. Kanto has Thunder and Thunderbolt but I'm not sure which one is the Kanto exclusive. That one really has no special move set and is the only one that is a normal Pikachu but with a hat. The main site has info.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Does anyone know for how long the E3 Nintendo Treehouse will lasy? Because E3 ends Today, right? Still hoping for any USUM stuff

BCVM22

Today is the last day of E3, yes. The Treehouse streams from the last two days clocked in at about eight to eight and a half hours each, and today's stream is just finishing its fourth hour.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Today is the last day of E3, yes. The Treehouse streams from the last two days clocked in at about eight to eight and a half hours each, and today's stream is just finishing its fourth hour.

Thanks a lot for the detailed info!:)

BCVM22

It's worth noting that I would not personally expect anything on Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon today (/at all). They were only unveiled a week ago, Nintendo has no shortage of other titles to show (and re-show - they're discussing ARMS DLC right now), and in being derivative of Sun & Moon, there's a lot less to show. But that's just an educated guess as time continues to run out.

Bariokie

rock dog
Not seeing the issue. Sorry?

I'd be all for that last part, but no one asked me. That aside, post ideas and speculation and wild dreams all you want. But you can't really complain when someone says, within the boundaries of good taste, "hey, that probably won't happen because..." Especially when there are designated receptacles where speculation is encouraged to all ends of the earth, and especially when this thread is an ostensible place for discussing confirmed news.

You not discussing any sort of confirmed news have no right to tell others that :')

BCVM22

You not discussing any sort of confirmed news have no right to tell others that :')

Imagine this being your response to this particular otherwise completely reasonable discussion. Be sure to keep keening and wailing about how I'm the problem, though.

On a topic that isn't your misguided impulse to interject, the Treehouse stream has concluded for the day and ostensibly for the conference, without any appearance by Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Also just something I thought of last night. Do you think once Pokemon moves to the Switch. If that is what is happening. Do you think they will stick to having two versions? Or do you think we will only get one but have a lot more choices in game which will make us have to trade as a result of not getting certain Pokemon because of those choices?

What does one have to do with the other? Why does moving to the Switch in way make you think they might drop the dual versions?

Leosnake

What does one have to do with the other? Why does moving to the Switch in way make you think they might drop the dual versions?

It was just a thought I had after talking to my Boyfriend. Who happens to live in the same house as and share the same Nintendo Switch as his younger brother.

Based on what he told me and about their separate save files of Breath of the Wild. It seems the save data for Switch games is saved on the Switch itself rather than the cartridge. Possibly by cloud or something but I am not sure about that to be honest. The reason being he has a different save file to his brother and can only see his one on his profile. He has to change to his brother's profile to see his save instead of his own one.

So considering both that and the fact the Switch is a hybrid console rather than a fully fledged hand held. I thought it might happen because even in households with more than one person that plays Pokemon. They are less likely to have more than one Switch compared to having a 3ds each due to it also being a home console.

And since one copy of the game is needed for multiple people that live in the same location to have their own save file via their profile. I could also see them selling less copies of the same version let alone two different versions. Even in the case where one individual might normally buy both for themselves to play through and then use via Poke bank. Still selling well enough to make a profit but not as many by virtue of how many people own their own private Switch compared to a shared one.

That and the fact that when the Poke bank is transferred to the Switch you will still have access to all the Pokemon from the previous ds and 3ds games and the cost of Switch games. Being closer to home console triple A titles (at least over here anyway) at about £60 plus at a time. Presumably because those games require more time and resources such as labour to make. I can see it being worth more to GameFreak to make it so you have to trade for Pokemon that become unavailable to you through choices you yourself make in the game. Rather than make two separate versions to get the same result. Since lets be honest there will be trading on-line even if only one version of the game existed.

Of course I am probably completely wrong about this. But then again this might just be the time they decide to make each second game a sequel or like the third version instead of a pair.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

Dual versions is just too good of a business device to give up, so I doubt they'll stop it.

However, given the capabilities of the Switch, if they do move the series to that console, dual versions might become much more unique, relatively. It would certainly bring more of an incentive to buy both.

So considering both that and the fact the Switch is a hybrid console rather than a fully fledged hand held. I thought it might happen because even in households with more than one person that plays Pokemon. They are less likely to have more than one Switch compared to having a 3ds each due to it also being a home console.

I don't plan on sharing my Switch or my games. lol

However, as one person mentioned, I do think Nintendo might release a "lite" version of the Switch that's smaller and more viable for handheld use, which would be a useful option for kids and younger teens.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Dual versions is just too good of a business device to give up, so I doubt they'll stop it.

However, given the capabilities of the Switch, if they do move the series to that console, dual versions might become much more unique, relatively. It would certainly bring more of an incentive to buy both.

Unique as in Black and White and Black and White 2 looking completely different in certain areas or in terms of taking place in different regions with the same Pokedex numbering system for both games?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Unique as in Black and White and Black and White 2 looking completely different in certain areas or in terms of taking place in different regions with the same Pokedex numbering system for both games?

Basically like Black & White, each having unique towns and gym leaders and whatnot, only more individualized.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Based on what he told me and about their separate save files of Breath of the Wild. It seems the save data for Switch games is saved on the Switch itself rather than the cartridge. Possibly by cloud or something but I am not sure about that to be honest. The reason being he has a different save file to his brother and can only see his one on his profile. He has to change to his brother's profile to see his save instead of his own one.

Except for the cloud part, you are correct. Data is saved to the system, and the save file you access is based off of the account you're logged on to. That means that even games that would normally only allow for one save file will now, by default, allow multiple.

Here's the thing. Dual releases has never been about letting more than one person in the same household play the game. They main purpose has been to encourage the player to find someone else with the opposite version and to trade and interact with. Siblings, such as my brother and I, have often been able to take advantage of the system, but they were never the purpose of the dual releases. So multiple save files doesn't really make a difference, as two people playing on the same system can not trade and interact with one another.

For what it is worth, my brother and I are eventually planning on buying a second Switch so that we may both play Pokémon, and other games, at the same time.

And since one copy of the game is needed for multiple people that live in the same location to have their own save file via their profile. I could also see them selling less copies of the same version let alone two different versions. Even in the case where one individual might normally buy both for themselves to play through and then use via Poke bank. Still selling well enough to make a profit but not as many by virtue of how many people own their own private Switch compared to a shared one.

Once again, there may be many people who bought two Pokémon games, but the purpose of the dual release was never to get one person to buy two games.

That and the fact that when the Poke bank is transferred to the Switch you will still have access to all the Pokemon from the previous ds and 3ds games and the cost of Switch games. Being closer to home console triple A titles (at least over here anyway) at about £60 plus at a time. Presumably because those games require more time and resources such as labour to make. I can see it being worth more to GameFreak to make it so you have to trade for Pokemon that become unavailable to you through choices you yourself make in the game. Rather than make two separate versions to get the same result. Since lets be honest there will be trading on-line even if only one version of the game existed.

As PrinceOfFacade said, the dual release really is a marketing device, more than anything else, and it's a marketing device that requires relatively little work from Game Freak to enact. Think about how little effort would actually have to be put in to make the version exclusive features. There really is no reason for them to drop it to save work.

Of course I am probably completely wrong about this. But then again this might just be the time they decide to make each second game a sequel or like the third version instead of a pair.

And to be fair, I suppose it could happen, there's just no real basis to believe that it will.

Pokemon Power

So, when do you think they will announce more details on Ultra Sun and Moon? I was very disappointed that Nintendo Treehouse Live didn't show anything for them.

BCVM22

CoroCoro next month. Or maybe some time sooner. Or maybe not?

No one knows, really. Be patient, is my recommendation. Remember that as a third version, even a paired one, there's a lot less new material to show.

I just hope that this new Switch core game is a completely new generation, complete with new Pokemon, towns, characters, story, etc.

I say that because I can imagine GF pulling a Red/Blue/Kanto reinvioning. That idea completely disinterests me, I am done with remakes/Kanto. I have no evidence to suggest this as a real possibility but with all the Pokemon Go success and Kanto pandering in gen 6 and 7 I can see GF wanting to go back to the region that "everybody loves." (Last part was sarcasm).

Crossing my fingers for a whole new generation.

Thure

I just hope that this new Switch core game is a completely new generation, complete with new Pokemon, towns, characters, story, etc.

I say that because I can imagine GF pulling a Red/Blue/Kanto reinvioning. That idea completely disinterests me, I am done with remakes/Kanto. I have no evidence to suggest this as a real possibility but with all the Pokemon Go success and Kanto pandering in gen 6 and 7 I can see GF wanting to go back to the region that "everybody loves." (Last part was sarcasm).

Kanto pandering in SM was only because of the anniversary... I don't liked it either because the anniversary was about Pokemon as a WHOLE and not Kanto... but hopefully after the anniversary they will stop with it finally...

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
^There is still 20 something evolutionary lines that didn't get major buffs like Signature Abilities, Z-Moves, Megas, stat buffs etc. This, combined with the fact that most of the buffed species are still lacking a lot(Aerodactyl is the obvious poster child for that, though this expands to species like Oddish-line and Bellsprout-line) makes a hypothetical end to Kanto pandering functionally impossible.

Or, in tl;dr, there are too many Kanto families to ignore. Same holds for Unova at a lesser degree.

Leosnake

Except for the cloud part, you are correct. Data is saved to the system, and the save file you access is based off of the account you're logged on to. That means that even games that would normally only allow for one save file will now, by default, allow multiple.

OK that is what I thought. It should prove interesting.

I don't plan on sharing my Switch or my games. lol

However, as one person mentioned, I do think Nintendo might release a "lite" version of the Switch that's smaller and more viable for handheld use, which would be a useful option for kids and younger teens.

Here's the thing. Dual releases has never been about letting more than one person in the same household play the game. They main purpose has been to encourage the player to find someone else with the opposite version and to trade and interact with. Siblings, such as my brother and I, have often been able to take advantage of the system, but they were never the purpose of the dual releases. So multiple save files doesn't really make a difference, as two people playing on the same system can not trade and interact with one another.

For what it is worth, my brother and I are eventually planning on buying a second Switch so that we may both play Pokémon, and other games, at the same time.

Once again, there may be many people who bought two Pokémon games, but the purpose of the dual release was never to get one person to buy two games.

As PrinceOfFacade said, the dual release really is a marketing device, more than anything else, and it's a marketing device that requires relatively little work from Game Freak to enact. Think about how little effort would actually have to be put in to make the version exclusive features. There really is no reason for them to drop it to save work.

And to be fair, I suppose it could happen, there's just no real basis to believe that it will.

OK thank you both.

This. I started with Pokemon Blue and as much as I love some of the Kanto Pokemon I think we had enough Kanto stuff last year. I would really like to see a new generation since it is a new console before I see a remake.

Phillies

I wouldn't mind a Kanto remake. There have been enough features added to make the game feel fresh. You could potentially be adding mega evolution, Z-moves, Kanto form pokemon, double, triple, and rotation battles, horde and SOS encounters and various other features to the games. Not to mention that with the Switches added memory they would be able to add or change the story enough so that it wouldn't feel like a complete rehash of the earlier remakes.. Of course I wouldn't mind if they did this to any of the other Generations as well.

Last edited: