• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Gen 3 VC won't happen until the switch at some point, which will for sure get gba VC.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
"The Pokémon Company International have just put out a release about the recent Pokémon Duel update. In this release, they didn't reveal much more but have confirmed that figures of Shiny Pokémon are to come to the game at some point soon. "
Oh boi, I sure enjoy Pokémon Shuffle.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Honestly I don't see RSE and FRLG coming out as VC releases anytime soon. RSE are basically covered by ORAS and FRLG are covered by the originals being released on the VC. ORAS covers all the bases for new regional forms and getting the original forms.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
"soon" being the operative word there

given Nintendo's track record, it'll be years before GBA VC is up on the Switch

Nockturne

RSE are basically covered by ORAS

You could say Gold and Silver are covered by HG/SS because you can play those games on a DS.

I don't think we'll see Ruby/Sapphire on VC soon either (it'll be AT LEAST a year I imagine) but I don't think the reason for that is that Hoenn is all ready playable on the 3DS. I mean GameFreak LOVES selling us the same game more than once. Redundancy was the name of the game for the first 4 generations. They'd release paired versions of the same game, and then remake a pair of older games, and then a third version of the first games. And given how successful VC R/B/Y were and the fact we've gotten G/S I can't see Gamefreak missing out on this cash cow because Hoenn on 3DS would be a bit redundant.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Have there been any GBA games in the 3DS virtual console? I only did a quick scan, but I'm pretty sure the 3DS VC only has NES, Super NES and Gameboy/GBC games; anything from N64, GBA, or DS was on the Wii U VC. If that's true, there is no reason to expect RSE, FRLG, or any other GBA game to appear on the 3DS VC. They have started the end of the 3DS. They aren't about to expand the 3DS Virtual Console to include GBA games. We won't be seeing RSE until the Switch has a VC, and it likely won't be right from the beginning. I'm more interested in whether we will see Crystal on the 3DS.

In actual news, the first EX Raid Passes have been sent out to players from two specific gyms in WA and CA. I hope they release these officially soon. Also, Poke Transporter has received an update, most likely for GS connectivity.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The Poke Transporter got a v 1.3 patch that supposedly fixed the shiny determining method (back to what it was in G/S/C), and now makes gender based on Attack IV.

Edit: This came from a hacker's twitter, so believe what you will.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
The Poke Transporter got a v 1.3 patch that supposedly fixed the shiny determining method (back to what it was in G/S/C), and now makes gender based on Attack IV.

Edit: This came from a hacker's twitter, so believe what you will.

Are you saying that Pokemon from RBY VC are now determined to be shiny using a different (older) method than before this update?

Edit: what I'm finding on Reddit is that the method for determining shiny-ness in Bank pre-update was looking for 10 in Attack, Speed and Special with a variable Defense, but it should have really been looking for a variable attack with 10 in Defense, Speed and Special. I guess they fixed this.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Are you saying that Pokemon from RBY VC are now determined to be shiny using a different (older) method than before this update?
In the original G/S/C, they determined shiny Pokemon by making the Defense IV 10 and the Attack IV variable. When you transferred shiny Pokemon before this update, the Attack IV had to be 10 and the Defense IV had to be variable. Some speculate that it was a goof on the programming staff's behalf.

And of course, it's more complicated than just the Attack and Defense IVs, but I simplified the description to the relevant differences.

Basically though,

GSC- Defense, Special and Speed IV equals 10. Attack can be one of 8 values (out of 16).
RBY VC transfer- Attack, Special and Speed IV equals 10. Defense can be one of 8 values.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
We got some interesting quotes from Ishihara in an interview with Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/...s-at-big-plans-for-games-on-smartphone-switch

“With the Switch, we see it as a chance to create Pokémon that goes deeper and with a higher level of expression. As a result, that makes it an extremely important platform.”

“Right now we’re using 7 to 8 inch screens, but on a high-definition TV you can express a whole different world with graphics and sound.”

“Until now, games were made as one for one person, but now you can go home and play with everyone -- so how do we tackle these themes, and how do we make sure it’s not complicated?”

“I can’t say that we’ll release accessories, but I’d like to think of that possibility.”

“Unlike smartphones, the Switch is not a game device that assumes that there’s constant network connectivity. So from our perspective, it’s really not that different from DS or 3DS in terms of connectivity.”

Ishihara also spoke at length about augmented reality, a technology that superimposes virtual characters and scenes onto real-world images. He said that this fits well with the Pokémon company’s vision of blending fantasy with reality, as Pokémon Go did as a location-based game.

“With current AR, even if you say Pikachu is there, no one really thinks that. But that reality is just one step away. For example, you’ll be able to find Pikachu, and it can sense this table and jump on it, and you can see its shadow on the table, and then it faces you and starts talking to you. We will see the birth of this reality that is another step up from the current Pokémon Go. And I’ve only mentioned the visual aspect, but you can add haptic and rumble technology to that.”

“Voice-activated assistants are increasing. Whether it is Google Home or Amazon or Apple Homepod, there are many of them and we could see these dialogue-based devices give birth of a new form of entertainment.”

“Switch is just one of the possible platforms. I think we will open up more possibilities from all these platforms. Playing in a more realistic way should be possible.”

Last edited:

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Well I'm choosing the original cap Pikachu. Mainly because I grew up with the OS.

I'm glad this event has arrived in NA.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I'm going to pick Sinnoh Cap for my Moon copy and Hoenn for my Sun. I'm not getting Ash Cap because I don't want to pay $20 just to see the movie and get the code. Do you think the code will be universal or a one time use type deal?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I'm going to pick Sinnoh Cap for my Moon copy and Hoenn for my Sun. I'm not getting Ash Cap because I don't want to pay $20 just to see the movie and get the code. Do you think the code will be universal or a one time use type deal?

I would assume one-time-only so that people can't share it and it stays exclusive to ticket holders. It would be a bit strange to make an event for ticket holders, but then allow anyone to use it.

And I know I won't change your mind, but you might want to reconsider, seeing a Pokémon movie in theaters, especially this one, is a wonderful experience. I still remember seeing the Victini movie as such, and it was absolutely amazing. Completely worth the $20 if you ask me.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I'm happy this international Ash Hat Pikachu event is QR Codes, or at least the six main anime ones are.

I was picking whether to get Hoenn or Sinnoh, but I figured I'd settle on Hoenn due to 3rd Gen being my first generation playing the games and the fact my birthday is on the second-last day of Hoenn Cap's distribution week.

Nockturne

Well I'm choosing the original cap Pikachu. Mainly because I grew up with the OS.

I'm glad this event has arrived in NA.

Its easily got the worst move set of the lot (ahhh those Gen 1 movesets) but I'm doing the same pretty much for the same reason. It's the only one that really hold any significance to me.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Its easily got the worst move set of the lot (ahhh those Gen 1 movesets) but I'm doing the same pretty much for the same reason. It's the only one that really hold any significance to me.

What does the moveset really matter, anyways? These things are essentially trophies. If you really care about the moveset, it won't be that hard to get it the moves that the others know.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
What does the moveset really matter, anyways? These things are essentially trophies. If you really care about the moveset, it won't be that hard to get it the moves that the others know.
Yeah this is what I been doing all these years. Going to these distribution events for collecting. I'm not a competitive player for these games.

So events like Life Orb Lycanroc and Focus Sash Salazzle, which were made for the competitive scene. Don't lure me for battling, but for collecting.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y

Remember that these Ash Cap Pikachu events were to honour the anime. They all related to what moveset Ash had on his Pikachu during that generation.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Making sure I get Alolan Cap and possibly Sinnoh Cap.

But I have both games so will probably SR for all of them.