• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

Illusio

No words, only rage
They probably showed a beta version by accident. Really isn't anywhere near as big of a mistake as misclassifying an important group of Pokémon.

Have they really?

They have, one example is still on Bulbapedia where they say that the Pokemon.com mailbox said it wasn't before quickly saying it was. Others like the Daisuki club have also said it's not while a Nintendo feature story says it is.

There's a reason why Phione got a lot of arguments back with DP and the Pokemon Company didn't help.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
They have, one example is still on Bulbapedia where they say that the Pokemon.com mailbox said it wasn't before quickly saying it was. Others like the Daisuki club have also said it's not while a Nintendo feature story says it is.

There's a reason why Phione got a lot of arguments back with DP and the Pokemon Company didn't help.

Interesting. I would think that whatever the most recent official word from the Pokémon Company or Game Freak is, should be considered the truth, at least until they reverse it again, if ever. So under that same logic, the current ruling on Ultra Beasts should be considered correct until another official source contradicts it.

Pokemon Power

Interesting. I would think that whatever the most recent official word from the Pokémon Company or Game Freak is, should be considered the truth, at least until they reverse it again, if ever. So under that same logic, the current ruling on Ultra Beasts should be considered correct until another official source contradicts it.

I think we can consider the Ultra Beasts to be "the new Unown". Like Unown, they come an alternate dimension, and they are involved in conflicts with legendary Pokemon. The only difference is that there are numerous Ultra Beast species, instead of one species with multiple forms.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I think we can consider the Ultra Beasts to be "the new Unown". Like Unown, they come an alternate dimension, and they are involved in conflicts with legendary Pokemon. The only difference is that there are numerous Ultra Beast species, instead of one species with multiple forms.

That's kind of arbitrary, random, and unrelated to the topic at hand, but okay.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
The thing is, coding is not something that's meant to be public. The developers make the games with assumption that no one will read their code, as the common audience has no idea how to. Because of this, it cannot be taken as an in-universe indication of anything. Sure, you could use it as evidence in a vacuum, but since it directly contradicts statements made by an official source, the official source should be trusted over the code. It's very possible that Game Freak was originally going to code two separate categories, the "sub-Legendary" category, and the Ultra Beast category, but realized that these two categories had all the uses, so they combined them together into one category for the sake of simplicity. To my knowledge, it's something done in coding a lot, and that's why we can't take things like that at face value.

Also, the Pokémon Company is about as official of a source as you can get when it comes to Pokémon. I doubt they would screw up that badly.

But they gave us an "in-universe indication": Look at your Alola Pokédex. Regular, non-legendary pokemon have a blue background. The "Legendary" Pokémon (Zygarde, Cosmog, Cosmeom, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, Magearna, and Marshadow) have yellow/gold backgrounds. The "Sub-Legendary" Pokémon (the 4 Tapu, Type: Null, and Silvally) have green backgrounds. What about the Ultra Beasts? They also have green, meaning they are on the same level as the Sub-Legendary Pokémon. The Pokémon Company is going against the game by declaring the Ultra Beasts aren't legendary, but claiming that other pokemon the games deem of equal status to be legendary.

Genos

The Indigo Disk

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
But they gave us an "in-universe indication": Look at your Alola Pokédex. Regular, non-legendary pokemon have a blue background. The "Legendary" Pokémon (Zygarde, Cosmog, Cosmeom, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, Magearna, and Marshadow) have yellow/gold backgrounds. The "Sub-Legendary" Pokémon (the 4 Tapu, Type: Null, and Silvally) have green backgrounds. What about the Ultra Beasts? They also have green, meaning they are on the same level as the Sub-Legendary Pokémon. The Pokémon Company is going against the game by declaring the Ultra Beasts aren't legendary, but claiming that other pokemon the games deem of equal status to be legendary.

Or, the green simply means that the Pokémon is special. No one ever said the Ultra Beasts weren't special. If you don't make assumptions, then there's no need for a contradiction to exist.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Aegislash will officially be able to use this Wednesday. A new feature will be added where you can record the last 30 seconds of a match using the Nintendo Switch's capture feature.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Just found out about this, and it's really cool. Someone managed to take pictures from the set of the Detective Pikachu movie

There's some really cool stuff here, especially the wanted posters, giving us our first ever look at what officially designed "realistic" Pokémon would look like. Of course, the designs are subject to change, but this is huge, nonetheless.

Aegislash will officially be able to use this Wednesday. A new feature will be added where you can record the last 30 seconds of a match using the Nintendo Switch's capture feature.

Seeing as we're in the general Pokémon news thread, you might want to specify that you're talking about Pokken. You left me very confused there for a moment.

Last edited:

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Serebii said:
Serebii Update: As of December 31st 2017 Pokémon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon have sold 7.17 million units
Serebii Update: As of December 31st 2017 Pokémon Sun & Moon have sold 16.05 million units
Serebii Update: As of December 31st 2017 Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire have sold 13.94 million units
Serebii Update: As of December 31st 2017 Pokémon X & Y have sold 16.26 million units

This surpasses RS's 16.22 and BW's 15.64 respectively. This makes XY the fourth best selling generation starting games after DP, but RS still had Emerald and FRLG to back them up.

USUM has not surpassed Platinum yet, though.

(Be careful, these numbers count both shipped plus digital. Most independent retail trackers only count retail, which is the relevant number for third parties.)

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
We've got another one of those silly/ridiculous Pokémon songs, this time for Pyukumuku.

I love these things, but I wasn't really feeling this one. A bit boring and not nearly as ridiculous as the others. Still fun though.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
This surpasses RS's 16.22 and BW's 15.64 respectively. This makes XY the fourth best selling generation starting games after DP, but RS still had Emerald and FRLG to back them up.

USUM has not surpassed Platinum yet, though.

(Be careful, these numbers count both shipped plus digital. Most independent retail trackers only count retail, which is the relevant number for third parties.)

Not surprised USUM beat Emerald, the latter was already on the low side of the third versions and Pokémon games have gotten more frontloaded when it comes to the majority of its sales, so going past that marker is expected. Platinum I can see it surpassing as well since despite my misgivings on USUM, it's not that far off and I don't think it'd slow down enough to not gain another half-million.

SM seems to have gotten its legs cut short by USUM, so it looks like it'll stop just before beating XY's numbers. XY itself really rode that GO hype as before the latter's release, it was actually at risk of stopping short of BW's numbers.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I don't care if you like Pokémon Go or not, that promotional video they just released is amazing. Any fan of Pokémon should watch it.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Not surprised USUM beat Emerald, the latter was already on the low side of the third versions and Pokémon games have gotten more frontloaded when it comes to the majority of its sales, so going past that marker is expected. Platinum I can see it surpassing as well since despite my misgivings on USUM, it's not that far off and I don't think it'd slow down enough to not gain another half-million.

SM seems to have gotten its legs cut short by USUM, so it looks like it'll stop just before beating XY's numbers. XY itself really rode that GO hype as before the latter's release, it was actually at risk of stopping short of BW's numbers.

I'm curious to learn about USUM's return numbers.

Is that data anywhere?

BCVM22

I'm curious to learn about USUM's return numbers.

Return numbers, like the number of copies purchased and then returned?

No. No one tracks that. Or at least if the countless retailers do track that, none of them make it public. Which also raises the questions of why they would track that or why someone would want to know.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Return numbers, like the number of copies purchased and then returned?

No. No one tracks that. Which also raises the question of why anyone would track that.

Accounting for dips in revenue, I guess.

I just heard quite a bit from folks returning Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon not long after purchase. Even I was one of those people, so I'm rather wondering how returns are fairing on a larger scale.