• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I really hope Game Freak is keeping their ears to the ground and can understand the fans' palpable Gen 1 fatigue, and decides against featuring Mewtwo for yet another generation.

This is just my opinion (from an old fart who began with Yellow), but I want Gen 8 to get away from Z moves and even mega evolutions entirely. I want it to be a soft reset and focus on evolving the turn-based mechanics, akin to 4th gen's physical/special split. We have received gimmicks for three generations in a row without any significant tweaks to the core mechanics, so I think a major change every four generations makes sense.

Generation 5 was triple battles, which didn't last. Gen 6 was Mega's, which is on life-support after receiving no new ones in Gen 7. Gen 7 gave us Z moves, which I can only hope to god is left in Alola. The exception to this trend is Alolan Pokemon variants, which obviously should become standard going forward, breathing new life into old or neglected Pokemon.

My personal assumption is we'll see the name of each version, the three starters, and a brief glimpse (give or take less than a minute) of gameplay.
No Gen V's gimmick is Hidden Abilities. Also there's a high chance they're not doing away with already-made assets. Makes a game company look dumb for doing so!

And Ultra Necrozma needs Ultranecronium-Z to become what it is so they aren't doing away with something heavily integrated into its lore, which in return, does make Z-moves hightly likely to return.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
No Gen V's gimmick is Hidden Abilities. Also there's a high chance they're not doing away with already-made assets. Makes a game company look dumb for doing so!

And Ultra Necrozma needs Ultranecronium-Z to become what it is so they aren't doing away with something heavily integrated into its lore, which in return, does make Z-moves hightly likely to return.
You're right that Hidden Abilities was another defining feature to Gen 5, but HA's ceased to be a gimmick when it became a series standard.

Game Freak has created assets for many, many different things that have been tabled over the years (Dream World? Pokeathlons? The Underground? Freaking Battle Frontier?). Pokemon fans of all people should remember how often Game Freak cycles out old features for brand new mechanics each generation. Now, I fully admit that Mega's have already survived another generation, but since Gen 8 was hinted toward going back to basics, my guess is Mega's could be tabled for a rainy day.

And I disagree that Z moves being incorporated into the current game's lore guarantees its existence for the foreseeable future. There are many ways Game Freak could sidestep this. One obvious choice is to create a new timeline/dimension for the newest games; Gen 6 already has casually remarked at the possibilities of alternate realities. Even more importantly, Pokemon likes to play fast and loose with its lore, and tends to retrofit different ways for Pokemon to change forms as it goes along. Gen 8 could easily just toss in a DLC "Necronium" that changes Necrozma's form without re-introducing every single Z item.

Last edited:

Shadowclaw191

Sobble is going to evolve to a pokemon who's theme is actor.
Most translations of Sobble's name is either variation of the act of crying, like leaking tears or sobbing mixed with lizard/chameleon.
Chameleons are known to change colour to express their emotions/feelings.

So basically Sobble is metaphorically and literally blue. And upon evolving it will learn to control it's emotions and become better at changing colours, referencing an actor.

Scorbunny is going to represent Sports and Grookey is going to be a Music Monkey.

Acer11

I know it's too early to talk about this, but I hope the 9th generation takes place in a region based on Australia.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Sobble is going to evolve to a pokemon who's theme is actor.
Most translations of Sobble's name is either variation of the act of crying, like leaking tears or sobbing mixed with lizard/chameleon.
Chameleons are known to change colour to express their emotions/feelings.

That's kind of a stretch, don't you think? Neither crying or changing colors have anything directly to do with actors. Not to mention, Sobble seems to be a very timid Pokémon. Wouldn't make much sense for a timid Pokémon to be an actor.

Not saying it can't happen, but you're probably jumping the gun on your guess.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.

pe27fJu.jpg

"23 years ago today, on February 27th 1996, Pokemon was born. Since then, it's expanded to manga, anime, all kinds of products, and even went worldwide. Everyone's support made a day like today possible and I'm nothing but thankful. Thank you for your continued support!" A translation of Junichi Masuda's tweet - Feb. 27th 2019, Pokemon's 23rd Anniversary.

Credit for the translation goes to Nick Mosier
Twitter Link to Masuda's Post

Last edited:

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
So far our more detailed pre-release period seems to look like this:
  1. April: New Mythical for the movie.
  2. May: Box art and Legendaries alongside some commons.
  3. June: E3. Previous June reveals revealed new battle mechanics(Battle Royal, Horde/Sky Battles) so likely this one will follow.
  4. July: Mewtwo movie release and details for Mythical/Legendaries.
  5. August: New gimmick and VGC reveals(new TCG mechanic, minor VGC Pokémon reveal)
  6. September: Last SM TCG set and animé teaser.
  7. October: Last major infodump
  8. November: Release.
In terms of concepts to look for we have:
  1. First few Gym Leaders.
  2. Regional rodent, bird, bug.
  3. Regional elementals(early fire, electric, grass, water etc.)
  4. Regional fish.
  5. Regional Psychic, Fighting, Fairy, Ghost.
  6. Pikaclone
  7. Evil team/s.
  8. Crossgenerational evolutions/forms, if any(such as the Eeveelution, Megas or successors to Megas, regional variants if any etc.)
  9. Battle Facility
  10. Pokémon Bank transfer
  11. Online gimmicks
  12. At least one version exclusive Pair
  13. Rival/s
  14. Regional professor
Possible reveals:
  1. Regional pseudo
  2. Third legendary
  3. Champion
  4. At least one representative for each type.

shoz999

uwgRgzY.jpg
JPJungleBooster.jpg
Jungle_Scyther_pack.jpg
JungleLogo.png

Did TCG predicted Alolan Exeggutor lol?

Happy Birthday Jungle!

It's TCG's Pokemon Jungle's 22nd anniversary. Just found this out thanks to Ptcgradio. A YouTuber who is a very reliable source on what new Pokemon TCG cards do before release. So for those who don't know, Pokemon's Jungle expansion is the very first expansion in Pokemon TCG and this is Jungle's 22nd anniversary, released on March 5th 1997 in Japan and later an English release on June 16th 1999. Pretty old huh?

Last edited:

shoz999

250px-B2W2_chapter.png

Pokemon Adventures Black & White 2 is re-continuing, starting on March. 15. The BW2 arc might finally reach it's finale.
So for those who don't know, on March. 2nd @pika09 was the first to report on the Serebii forums of incredibly shocking news that Pokemon Adventures Black & White 2 would be re-continuing on March. 15 and many of the more informed Pokemon Adventure fans has said this is true. If you don't understand how big of a deal this is for Pokemon Adventure fans, the BW2 story arc was delayed repeatedly so that the writer could work on Gen 6 and Gen 7 and many have feared that BW2 may either slow down Pokemon Adventures only writer and artist down or that it may even be left unfinished entirely so this isn't just great news but really is indeed a huge surprise. Personally I'm very excited and I think the most I'm excited for is the villain, Colress, who played a memorable role in the Gen 5 and Gen 7 games and with the recent chapters, it's hinting that Colress may play a far far bigger role in the Pokemon Adventures lore.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
With Shiny Tapus done, we are only missing Shiny Nebula trio(Cosmog-line and Necrozma) as well as Shiny Mythicals.

So far, HA Tapus haven't been present, presumably because it is still unclear of Pokébank will interact with SwSh. Since HA Monkeys(Oranguru/Passimian) haven't been present, and it doesn't seem likely that we will get another sub-legendary group for SwSh, it is likely Heatran's HA will be retconned for its release in the next gen.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
So far, HA Tapus haven't been present, presumably because it is still unclear of Pokébank will interact with SwSh. Since HA Monkeys(Oranguru/Passimian) haven't been present, and it doesn't seem likely that we will get another sub-legendary group for SwSh, it is likely Heatran's HA will be retconned for its release in the next gen.

What's the logic for all of that, exactly?

Pokemon Power

With Shiny Tapus done, we are only missing Shiny Nebula trio(Cosmog-line and Necrozma) as well as Shiny Mythicals.

What does HA stand for?

shoz999

full_1502405AmericaFrontccc.jpg
full_5479044AmericaBackccc.jpg

Today is Pokemon Snap's 20th Anniversary
Just heard this from some game sites but today is Pokemon Snap's 20th anniversary. For those who don't know, Pokemon Snap wasn't just a beloved Pokemon classic by Pokemon fans but it was actually one of the first Pokemon games to unveil Pokemon in 3D graphics. So it was a crazy big deal at the time to actually see Pokemon walking around in 3D, seeing them live their lives in these 3D environments. Not a lot of people realize this either but Todd Snap, the main character of Pokemon Snap, is also the first protagonist of both a 3D and console Pokemon game where you could actually rename him to something else like in the main series games on handhelds at the time. So Pokemon Snap was a big deal being one of the first 3D Pokemon games but it was also just in-general a good video game that showed how enjoyable and relaxing photography is, serving as an inspiration for similar photography games on other platforms in the future.

Pokemon Power

full_1502405AmericaFrontccc.jpg
full_5479044AmericaBackccc.jpg

Today is Pokemon Snap's 20th Anniversary
Just heard this from some game sites but today is Pokemon Snap's 20th anniversary. For those who don't know, Pokemon Snap wasn't just a beloved Pokemon classic by Pokemon fans but it was actually one of the first Pokemon games to unveil Pokemon in 3D graphics. So it was a crazy big deal at the time to actually see Pokemon walking around in 3D, seeing them live their lives in these 3D environments. Not a lot of people realize this either but Todd Snap, the main character of Pokemon Snap, is also the first protagonist of both a 3D and console Pokemon game where you could actually rename him to something else like in the main series games on handhelds at the time. So Pokemon Snap was a big deal being one of the first 3D Pokemon games but it was also just in-general a good video game that showed how enjoyable and relaxing photography is, serving as an inspiration for similar photography games on other platforms in the future.
That was my first video game, and it was very fun.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Since HA monkeys are now the Pokébank distribution, chances are Tapus will be distributed next gen, most likely with different, retconned HAs. Perhaps they will have a quatro master after all?

This also retroactively means SwSh will not have sub-legendaries for Galar, at least none with HAs.

Edit (21.04.2019): So far we haven't seen an Event Mythical for Galar in the Mewtwo movie remake. This makes me think we will see a repeat of Victini scenario in late July, but we will see how the cookie crumbles next month.

Last edited: