• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
The only reason they even banned the card is that GameFreak/Nintendo simply didn't think Uri Geller was that big of a deal to challenge in the court-of-law in the first place. They literally did not care. I mean, from a business perspective, does one mid-stage evolution being removed seem like the decline of the series? No. It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo/Pokemon Company brought back Kadabra without ever mentioning Uri Geller simply because they forgot why they banned it in the first place.

Leonhart

Imagineer
shoz999 said:
The only reason they even banned the card is that GameFreak/Nintendo simply didn't think Uri Geller was that big of a deal to challenge in the court-of-law in the first place. They literally did not care. I mean, from a business perspective, does one mid-stage evolution being removed seem like the decline of the series? No. It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo/Pokemon Company brought back Kadabra without ever mentioning Uri Geller simply because they forgot why they banned it in the first place.

I don't buy the logic of Game Freak/Nintendo giving into his demands because of that. If they weren't afraid of a potential lawsuit in the first place, they wouldn't have ceased producing Yungerer (Kadabra) cards for 17 years. The apparent "ban" also affected the main anime series from 2005 up until this point, so I find it hard to believe that they didn't think it was a big deal since they seemed to go out of their way just to avoid bringing attention to the species.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I don't buy the logic of Game Freak/Nintendo giving into his demands because of that. If they weren't afraid of a potential lawsuit in the first place, they wouldn't have ceased producing Yungerer (Kadabra) cards for 17 years. The apparent "ban" also affected the main anime series from 2005 up until this point, so I find it hard to believe that they didn't think it was a big deal since they seemed to go out of their way just to avoid bringing attention to the species.
But you must also admit there is no reason for GameFreak/Nintendo to fear his demands either. Looking at what he claims, he literally has no solid case that it would be such an easy win for GameFreak/Nintendo. So why did they simply concede? Because for the business giant with business practices rooted from Confucian and Japanese principals (at least for the time), a middle-stage evolution is just not worth the time and money for them. As some people say, let the baby have his bottle.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
But you must also admit there is no reason for GameFreak/Nintendo to fear his demands either. Looking at what he claims, he literally has no solid case that it would be such an easy win for GameFreak/Nintendo. So why did they simply concede? Because for the business giant with business practices rooted from Confucian and Japanese principals (at least for the time), a middle-stage evolution is just not worth the time and money for them. As some people say, let the baby have his bottle.
Actually there are, It's not just the facts that really matter, it's the size of the "Wallet" which could mean that long and costly Court case.. Uri Geller has been stated to earned quite a lot, and there are been several court cases with him involved. (This guy had been around alot by the time I heard of him in the early 90s, bending spoons on Early morning TV.)

The worse case is that he could have killed the Pokémon franchise back in the early 2000s and we could never get Gold or Silver in the West.. The Block on that Card really first step, which until recently ever truly solved.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Nutter t.KK said:
The worse case is that he could have killed the Pokémon franchise back in the early 2000s and we could never get Gold or Silver in the West.. The Block on that Card really first step, which until recently ever truly solved.

That's quite an exaggeration. I doubt that Uri Geller suing Nintendo would've impacted the entire Pokemon franchise like that. Worst case scenario, he might've won the lawsuit and Nintendo would've had to pay him off and possibly remove Yungerer (Kadabra) from the franchise or simply stop producing any merchandise of that particular Pokemon, but I don't see how that would've prevented Gold and Silver from coming out in the West.

BCVM22

"But why did he--"For attention.
"But why is he--" For attention.
"But why didn't they--" To deny him attention.

To anyone still wondering why Mr. Geller is doing this now, again, it's entirely for attention, because now his name is in the news again. Maybe he'll wring a few dollars out of it. Nothing more. The simplest answer is the correct one, in this case.

The worse case is that he could have killed the Pokémon franchise back in the early 2000s and we could never get Gold or Silver in the West.

The impact would not have been nearly that great. The very, very worst case scenario would have been a ban or a removal of Kadabra/Alakazam from the franchise, and even that would have been unlikely. Gold/Silver's international release was never at risk, for any reason.

Last edited:

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
"But why did he--"For attention.
"But why is he--" For attention.
"But why didn't they--" To deny him attention.

To anyone still wondering why Mr. Geller is doing this now, again, it's entirely for attention, because now his name is in the news again. Maybe he'll wring a few dollars out of it. Nothing more. The simplest answer is the correct one, in this case.

The impact would not have been nearly that great. The very, very worst case scenario would have been a ban or a removal of Kadabra/Alakazam from the franchise, and even that would have been unlikely. Gold/Silver's international release was never at risk, for any reason.
Occam's Razor becomes Occam's +3 Sword of Sharpness with you. I have mixed feelings about this.

He's a grifter. It's less about attention and more cash via performances and other suits.

With his arch-nemesis(James Randi) dead, he's probably feeling cocky.

He need to die AND be retconned out of Marvel continuity to bring back a cool Israeli Hulk villain.

Kadabra being unblocked will likely lead to Kinesis showing up as well down the road...

Now it, Fissure, Mud Sport, Earthquake, Lava Plume, Porygon, Conversion, Conversion 2, Milk Drink and other "trauma-lawsuit"-soft/hardban cases need to be re-examined and unbanned in the anime(and other media they barely appear in). Surf, Earth Power, Sharpen and Bulldoze barely escaped that.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

Worst case scenario they'd just change the japanese name for something else. Kind of what happened to Jynx though in that case, it was just a change on coloring.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

There was a good chance Geller could've won the lawsuit. Of course, there's also a good chance Geller could've just dragged out the case for as long as he wanted.

I mentioned about it on the other topic, but depicting real-life people in a work of fiction works very differently in Japan compared to most other industrialized nations. As can be seen happening again and again with the writing team for Gin Tama and Mr. Osomatsu, you're free to make these depictions as you like, but if someone you're depicting objects to it, you'll have to comply and remove it. Geller went straight to the lawsuit, which is very rare in Japan and usually deemed a last resort. The people at Game Freak, which was a small indie studio prior to Pokémon, were unlikely to have ever encountered this before and would've been scared.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
So the space sunrise stream thing was basically the Glimwood Tangle incident in space?

Jangobadass

Surprise!
Should we expect a Pokémon Direct on February 27?

Something big, or at least decent sized, as well as them making mountains out of some molehills...

Though let's give 'em some breathing room since COVID is back on the rise in Japan and it'll have an unfortunate effect on everything...

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Something big, or at least decent sized, as well as them making mountains out of some molehills...

Though let's give 'em some breathing room since COVID is back on the rise in Japan and it'll have an unfortunate effect on everything...

That's certainly understandable, but knowing TPC and how they like to do everything years in advance (except expand Gen 6 for some reason), preparations for such a Direct may already be complete.