• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
My idea is that the live action adaptation takes place in the same reality as Detective Pikachu except Detective Pikachu is a popular movie and tv show and a lot of Pokémon have much better looking CGI designs with Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, The Charmander line, Greninja, Jigglypuff (only difference is a finer shorter coat of fur if any), Psyduck (make its feathers look a lot less like hair), Eevee, Mewtwo, And Meowth all look fine. The new main character goes on a journey to win Badges and enter the League but things are different as Misty and Brock do not leave their posts to also go traveling.

greninjamaster

Wait, they're doing other stuff besides making Katara the older sibling for Zutara shippers?
Aang is staying the same age. I believe he will be 12. Katara will be 18. Sokka will be 16. Zuko will be the same age as Katara.

Completely ignoring that Katara being the age she is, is huge for her character development in the actual show but yeah it's just to get Zutara endgame.

EXACTLY. If u can even call it Winx club, it was completely different series.
Dont they dare touch Misty and make her un modest!!

Oh you know they gonna have Misty in risque outfits. Her and Ash will be aged up so they could do sex scenes as well.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
If it's like Detective Pikachu, it could be interesting.

Though I fear they touching the anime-verse. I can't see they doing it justice.

mockingjay

swift and lol
I am SO SO HAPPY that TCPi are going to continue to try again with a live-action Pokemon adaption. Sure, Detective Pikachu had it's weak moments... but so much of what really worked, WORKED. They had a good idea, and they can learn from their mistakes moving forward.

After the movie just performed average at the box office, it was clear a sequel movie was no longer in sight but glad this confirms they're going to try again, albeit a different route.

Netflix are absolutely TERRIBLE with adaptions. Look at Death Note. Look at Winx Club. They're doing a live action series for Avatar: The Last Airbender and the original creators LEFT the project due to creative differences which is so, so concerning. Fortunately, unlike those properties, Pokemon doesn't have a set "main" storyline, so they can depart from the original source material entirely and most of the fandom would be okay with it as long as they get the Pokemon right (which Detective Pikachu did, IMO)

This is clearly years, years away though. As in it's clear they only just discussed it and "leaked" it to the press to gauge audience reaction.

BCVM22

They don't care about audience reaction nor is that why it was "leaked."

Shows go into development all the time, and often don't make it out of development. That's what "in development" means.

As you said, this is years away if it ever comes to fruition at all. It's really not worth anyone getting worked up over at this nascent stage.

DuskAstral

Netflix are absolutely TERRIBLE with adaptions. Look at Death Note. Look at Winx Club.
Why is it terrible? Just because it differs from the original?
I saw both versions and had a lot of fun with them, especially the Winx.

Captain Jigglypuff

Netflix has some good adaptations. She-Ra and Carmen Sandiego were really good reinterpretations of their original shows and had new ideas to them that worked for them really well.

Nyter

Island Challenger
I think it all depends on what your taste in entertainment is. I do believe that taking something that was the anime and applying to live-action lacks some originality and unpredictable aspect. Also, it depends on what you accept the focus be on.

Netflix usually targets the mature audience in their original series. They already have the kid demographic in the anime series itself plus several other movies/special. A live adaptation would cone with more mature topics.

Let's say the following:

The series is based on the video game character of each generation. So in its first season, let us say it is in Kanto and thus we follow the Pokemon Red/Blue/Green route.

Let's speculate the following:
Red goes on a journey with his starter Pokemon. Blue is his rival and will do anything to best Red (and it could get violent) > BOOM that is one storyline.

Since Red is gone and Red's mom is all alone, she enters into an affair with Prof. Oak > BOOM another storyline.

Daisy, Blue's sister, becomes romantically involved with Red, causing conflict with Blue > BOOM Storyline

Bill experiments on Pokemon and himself which go awry and cause havoc > BOOM another storyline

Giovanni is revealed the father of Red... OK you get the picture...

But what is my point with all this speculation. In all this, the focal point were the trainers and NPCs and NOT the Pokemon itself. Netflix usually makes 1 season of 8 - 10 episodes. I do not see them successfully cramming character development for CGI Pokemon AND Trainer/NPC Characters within one season... So in reality, Pokemon will be mainly the weapon of choice and the series would revolve around the trainers themselves.

Is that something you may fancy?

And again this is all just speculation. As BCVM22 said...
Shows go into development all the time, and often don't make it out of development. That's what "in development" means.

As you said, this is years away if it ever comes to fruition at all.

I have yet to hear of the Legend of Zelda adaptation Netflix was in talks of back in 2019. I have reason to believe the project was scrapped. The same may happen here.

Captain Jigglypuff

LoZ adaptations have been talked about for years but never happen. There were talks about a live action movie before as well that people tend to forget about. I think the main problem is figuring out how to have Link talk without being annoying. The LoZ cartoon of The Super Mario Bros Super Show had Link sounding like a California surfer which sounded so wrong and he was so obnoxious that you wanted Ganon to kill Link just to get rid of him. And the CD-I games made him too goofy and had a terrible voice actor that wasn’t even trying to give a good performance. Mario is much more easy to adapt to a movie or tv show as the entire series is built on ridiculous ideas that Mario and Luigi can tell really bad jokes that still work because it fits their characters. Link needs to be taken seriously as LoZ is a more dramatic and serious series and yeah it has its humorous moments but those come from dialogue and the characters’ reactions to stuff. Link isn’t some TMNT wannabe that doesn’t take being the Chosen One seriously and would rather be lazy instead of saving the day.

mockingjay

swift and lol
They don't care about audience reaction nor is that why it was "leaked."

As you said, this is years away if it ever comes to fruition at all. It's really not worth anyone getting worked up over at this nascent stage.

This is the news thread, so I don't know why getting excited over the prospects of a live action series is "not worth anyone getting worked up over".

Also - aren't you the same person who was insistent for years that Detective Pikachu movie was getting a sequel even though it was clearly not?

BCVM22

This is the news thread, so I don't know why getting excited over the prospects of a live action series is "not worth anyone getting worked up over".

Because... it's not? Again, it's in the most nascent of stages, out of which projects often don't advance. Wait for literally anything more concrete than "people are thinking about it" to start in on whether it'll be great or terrible or whatever. I'd argue it's not really "news," in that there isn't anything particularly tangible to discuss about it (which again, there isn't, other than the fact that some parties are mulling it over), but your mileage may vary.
Also - aren't you the same person who was insistent for years that Detective Pikachu movie was getting a sequel even though it was clearly not?

That doesn't sound particularly like me at all, no. I'm sure I was "insistent" that any assertions one way or the other, definitely happening or not happening, made within a month of the original film releasing probably didn't have much basis, because that is accurate. I know a sequel was "in development" at that time, but, hey, look at that, stuff "in development" often doesn't come to fruition, and two years later, it looks like that's the case.

Not this conversation, though - this conversation has neatly come full circle.

Nyter

Island Challenger
Well adding to the News of the Pokemon Live Action Series that is 'in development', this came about:

Original English voice actor for Ash Ketchum in Pokémon TV series found it ‘heartless’ to be replaced for ‘no reason’

Metro Entertainment:
The original English dub voice actor for Ash Ketchum in the Pokémon animated TV series has opened up about her exit from the show, saying that she found it ‘heartless’ for her and other stars to be replaced for ‘no reason’.

15 years since Veronica Taylor last provided the voice for Pokémon trainer Ash, her passion and love for the world of Pokémon is truly wonderful to witness, having voiced the character from 1998 to 2006.

The voice actor’s face lights up when she talks about the impact Pokémon has had on fans throughout the years, describing it as ‘incredibly humbling and honouring’ to connect with people for whom the anime has played a significant part in their lives.

Following the news that a live-action Pokémon series might be in the works at Netflix, a report that the streaming giant declined to comment on, Metro.co.uk spoke to Veronica about her history with the franchise, the performer emphasising that she would always be keen to return if asked.

In addition to other characters in the TV series, Veronica voiced Ash in English for the first eight seasons of Pokémon, before being replaced by Sarah Natochenny from season nine onwards.

‘They replaced us, Pokémon USA replaced us after the eighth season. None of us had the choice to go on with the show after that. I know all of us would have,’ Veronica said, referring to the other voice actors in the cast who were also replaced after season eight.

‘I think the hard part was that we all gave our 100% because we loved the show, we loved working on it and the people we worked with, all of that. And we had such a deep connection to it, so to just simply be replaced for no reason was quite heartless, really.’

Veronica continued, stating: ‘I guess that’s the biz,’ and so ‘there’s not much you can do.’

‘Business is business and I don’t know their reasons for replacing us. It certainly was hard to get past. I suppose it still is a little difficult, but I’m happy that Pokémon goes on and people continue to love it and that Pokémon has helped so many people through so many hard times, through so many good times, it’s been a way for people to find friends and really connect on many levels, so I’m very happy that it continues and I’m happy in my small part to still be a part of it.’

When the news of a supposed live-action Pokémon series being in development circulated on social media, Veronica delighted fans when she tweeted that she’s ‘available’ to take part.

While she admitted that she’s ‘skeptical’ of a live-action depiction of the show – as she personally prefers the animation, particularly for the battle sequences – she added that she ‘would love to be involved in it’, expressing her hope that it would have a ‘deeper meaning’.

In the years following her departure from Pokémon, Veronica has continued to connect with fans, whether through communicating online or by attending fan events and conventions.

The voice actor said that Pokémon is ‘bigger in my life now than it was when I was working on the show’, saying that she has had ‘incredible experiences’ learning about the journeys fans have been on, whether that be making friends through the franchise or using it to help them get through bullying at school.

‘All of that is so incredible to me and to be the bridge to their nostalgia and their childhood has been… I never take any of that lightly. It’s really quite an honour,’ she said.

‘It is hard to express how… the whole experience of it is so incredible and wonderful. It is hard to… I even tear up when I talk about it because it’s so dear to me and so to be able to go and talk to people about their experiences is really a great honour.’

While Veronica added that no one has contacted her as of yet about the purported live-action series, she is ready and willing to accept the call if it comes through.

‘Pokémon has taken up such a large part of my heart as have the fans and just to be, it may sound corny, but on this Pokémon journey, has been really incredible. So to be able to be on this next step of it would be amazing,’ she said.

I would love to see Veronica Taylor be a part of a project like this if it does come to fruition. She plays a nostalgic and strong staple in the Pokémon fandom by having brought an American voice to Ash Ketchum. I don't see how a voice actor would, however, play a role in a live-action series other than voicing Pokémon used. I do feel she is weighing on on something that right now may be a bit of a stretch. But something like this is fun to speculate about just like we do with any other video game we speculate about.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Well, more of a Local Pokémon News one: Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, (aka Series 10 and 11) and the Darkari and Giratina Movies are now on BBC iPlayer in the UK.
This is a little weird as BBC never got Pokémon before. I'd personally expect Pokémon show being a "advert" for a game it would be not allowed on the BBC. It used to be on ITV which was/still is one of the other Free channels.

Some extra info: No download option for BBC iPlayer Desktop, and can be expected to be the case for some imported TV shows. All the 4:3 shows are in a 16:9 pillar box so the BBC logo is actually on the blank area. The Movies may be 720p at best and 16:9.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!

Original English voice actor for Ash Ketchum in Pokémon TV series found it ‘heartless’ to be replaced for ‘no reason’

I have to say, while I think Veronica Taylor is a decent person, sometimes, I think she can go a little over herself on this topic. I remember, during the 20th Pokemon movie, people wanted her to voice Ash, and she was entertaining the thought with more than a "that would be nice" type of approach, which would only lead to disappointment for both her and the fans. I get that the role must have meant something to her, but you can only really achieve goals within the realm of possibilities.

In regards to the topic itself, I thought there was a contractual expiry involved. Maybe I don't remember that to well.

Captain Jigglypuff

I have to say, while I think Veronica Taylor is a decent person, sometimes, I think she can go a little over herself on this topic. I remember, during the 20th Pokemon movie, people wanted her to voice Ash, and she was entertaining the thought with more than a "that would be nice" type of approach, which would only lead to disappointment for both her and the fans. I get that the role must have meant something to her, but you can only really achieve goals within the realm of possibilities.

In regards to the topic itself, I thought there was a contractual expiry involved. Maybe I don't remember that to well.
I thought it was because 4Kids lost the rights to the anime before they went bankrupt and shut down their studio. Veronica Taylor seems to use her Ash voice quite a bit in different things she’s in. Winner and the Golden Child and the Playmobil Show Super 4 were really weird as she literally played her roles in those shows in Ash’s voice and didn’t even try to change the pitch or accent. Not saying she’s a bad voice actress but she could at least try to come up with different sounding voices.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I have to say, while I think Veronica Taylor is a decent person, sometimes, I think she can go a little over herself on this topic.
Imagine getting dropped from your favorite job out of nowhere with no warning in the middle of a saga. She was right to be pissed. No voice actor today goes through the phase she went through. Everything is very formal that the only way a voice actor gets dropped nowadays is if they violated a contract.

No doubt Sarah would be pissed if it happened to her too.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Imagine getting dropped from your favorite job out of nowhere with no warning in the middle of a saga. She was right to be pissed. No voice actor today goes through the phase she went through. Everything is very formal that the only way a voice actor gets dropped nowadays is if they violated a contract.

No doubt Sarah would be pissed if it happened to her too.
It was mostly what I said following that made me come to the original remark I made, granted it could be a one-time deal and I may have not remembered it right. Otherwise, I don't think she is being, in any way, "spiteful" or a "spoiled-sport", or what have you.

I thought the whole voice actor switch was due to a contract ending, but I don't exactly remember.
In the end, it's a business, and business's don't always have people's best interests.