• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~ Official Pokémon Platinum Discussion Thread 2 ~ (READ 1ST POST OR ELSE)

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

giradialkia

Yes! I'm already excited about this game (again.. I felt a bit doubtful for a while..lol). The E4 looks like it'll be MUCH more of a challenge- (i mean Flint- he had a Steelix?? WEAK to fire?? What IS that?!). Even though the levels are lower, they'll still be pretty tough, i remember the first time i got to the E4 in Pearl- i'd foolishly raised my Torterra much more than everything else.. And it was still lower than Garchomp. Battle Frontier lookin' good, (hard, but good). This game is gonna be a major improvement. Although i must say all the Regi-business is ott.. I myself wouldn't have any time for something that lowers it's level to 1 in a battle..

Falco320

The Golden summit!!
just 40something days till platinum i honestly going crazy waiting for it. so far i just want to rush it so i can use my EV trains for the move tutors finally my Scizor gets bullet punch and my gallade gets ice punch. =D

Edit: zapdos with heatwave. =D

TB_SP_Heartless

Elite 4, Member 2
Yes! I'm already excited about this game (again.. I felt a bit doubtful for a while..lol). The E4 looks like it'll be MUCH more of a challenge- (i mean Flint- he had a Steelix?? WEAK to fire?? What IS that?!). Even though the levels are lower, they'll still be pretty tough, i remember the first time i got to the E4 in Pearl- i'd foolishly raised my Torterra much more than everything else.. And it was still lower than Garchomp. Battle Frontier lookin' good, (hard, but good). This game is gonna be a major improvement. Although i must say all the Regi-business is ott.. I myself wouldn't have any time for something that lowers it's level to 1 in a battle..

I agree with you.
The Elite 4 in D/P was either too strong if you flew threw it (cough me cough)
or just ridiculous when you realized what they were using xD
The Battle Frontier seems a little less complex than Emerald (because somehow my latios still got beat up) but no Scott will make it less fun to play, IMO, because you get no ingame recognition for doing so. Ribbons excluded haha

About the Regi's
even if he is Level 1, just get a Regigigas from Toys R' US, so its Level 100 :p
and its a good support/ nuisance (if it wasnt Uber Tier)

Overall, im highly expectant that it will do a million times (exaggeration) better than D/P, and if i have 340 hours clocked into D/P for some random reason i dont know... then i say that Platinum will bring back Competitive battling across the area, due to pokemon like Tyranitar learning Aqua Tail (hax0rz)

new forms will deff bring back my love of rotom, because my rotom 6-0 some guy because he shouldn't have messed with the best :D

and anyone wanting FC for my platinum, just PM, because i cant wait to play with freshly new teams :D

I cannot wait for Platinum to hit Europe!
Pokemon-France said that it was coming out May 22nd 2009 (Not to be confused with March 22nd 2009 the American release date) shortly after the release of the DSi in Europe, so at least we know the DSi is coming out soon!

FireMeowth

Enthusiast
It's most likely not in May.
Many times, stores set fake release dates, because it looks better than "TBA". Then, many will pre-order the game from them, and they make money. Then, when the game doesn't come at that date, they say "Oh, but our sources said..." etc. It happens every time a popular game is to come out.

Every. Single. Time.

That said, it is possible that they'll release it that early. It's just highly unlikely. I'd say there's about a... 10% chance that it'll come in May. 15% at the highest.

Mikaga

Importing Trainer
Wow, it's been a while since I've taken a look into this scene.

I played and 490/490'd my Diamond cart and then stopped almost immediately - not because I'd done everything I wanted to do, but because the game had "features" and omissions that annoyed the heck out of me and towards the end I was only getting the rest just to say I had.

Because of this, I've got a few questions about Platinum which I haven't seen the answers to in the "read first" sticky, the "changes" sticky, or the bulbapedia article listing changes. Most importantly:

• Have they fixed the time it takes to start a battle? Playing Diamond for 30 minutes and then playing, say, Ruby, shows how much of a joke Diamond is. Why's it so much slower?

• Is the item box back? I hated that, because there were more useful items than spaces in your pocket, you had to stick them on creatures in your PC box and then need to spend ages tracking them down because you forgot what you'd attached them to.

If either of the above two aren't fixed I'll probably reconsider getting Platinum at all. But there're also a few aesthetic non-essential changes I'd love:

• Text speed. It's always been woefully slow in the series, I'm well aware, but it's worth asking for the 11th time: Is there finally an option for instant text display? Or at least one that's sped-up? It's always seemed to be displaying at the speed (per character) it did in the Japanese versions which is horrible because the Japanese text doesn't need nearly as many characters per line.

• Scrolling through the item list. It was SLOW in Diamond, forcing you to use that silly "iPod feature" on the touchscreen or (if in the front pocket) the "move item" trick which for some reason sped up the menu scroll dramatically.

• Using HMs. In previous generations, the HMs would be at the top of a creature's menu with "summary" below. In D/P, Summary came first, which saw everyone accidentally looking at their Pidgeot clone's stats instead of, y'know, flying to their destination. I know THIS is a picky one, but I did prefer HMs on top.

Edit: Oh yeah. And for the ultimate in pickiness: Can you change the Pokedex display of genders/forms? At the moment it stores them in order you see them and in the "main list" of 493 it defaults to the first of those so you end up scrolling through, for example, male male female male female male female female female male... which is a bit chaotic really. Plus scrolling through the Unown forms makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:

FireMeowth

Enthusiast

It's most likely not in May.
Many times, stores set fake release dates, because it looks better than "TBA". Then, many will pre-order the game from them, and they make money. Then, when the game doesn't come at that date, they say "Oh, but our sources said..." etc. It happens every time a popular game is to come out.

Every. Single. Time.

That said, it is possible that they'll release it that early. It's just highly unlikely. I'd say there's about a... 10% chance that it'll come in May. 15% at the highest.

Indeed. .-.

R_N

• Have they fixed the time it takes to start a battle? Playing Diamond for 30 minutes and then playing, say, Ruby, shows how much of a joke Diamond is. Why's it so much slower?
I believe so, yes. Well, from the few videos I watched, anyways. Battle themselves were quite faster, too.
• Is the item box back? I hated that, because there were more useful items than spaces in your pocket, you had to stick them on creatures in your PC box and then need to spend ages tracking them down because you forgot what you'd attached them to.
...You do know that the bag space is unlimited, right?
• Text speed. It's always been woefully slow in the series, I'm well aware, but it's worth asking for the 11th time: Is there finally an option for instant text display? Or at least one that's sped-up? It's always seemed to be displaying at the speed (per character) it did in the Japanese versions which is horrible because the Japanese text doesn't need nearly as many characters per line.
It seemed faster, but I've never really seen JP D/P for comparison.

I'm unsure of the HM thing, and I haven't a clue about either the item pouch scroll speed, or the pokedex thing (seriously why would you even notice that, or care about it)

Mikaga

Importing Trainer
Bag space is unlimited? I'll have to try again. I'm positive it's not let me pick up an item I've not had due to the thing being full...

The text speed question I guess can't really be answered until the US version comes out, but I have to admit I've not got high hopes. It does surprise me that after some 11 editions of the game they've not thought of instant text display. It's almost criminal for an RPG...

I did say the Pokédex thing was picky, didn't I? :p I just like things like that to make sense, I guess. It looks very weird to scroll through the Unown forms and see W, T, I, D, G, X, ?, R, H, A, L, E, !, K...

Edit: So I've watched a few videos and taken timings. It seems Platinum is halfway between Diamond and Ruby. But it's hard to compare because like I said, Japanese text displays faster by virtue of needing less characters. Speaking of which: Text display speed appears unaltered - JP Platinum's display seems fast because, as you've mentioned, you're used to English display speed.

Edit Again: Hm. When I saw "battles are faster", I was hoping that meant the delay after move animation (or lack of it, if you turn battle scene to off) and the slow speed at which the HP bar moves when taking damage or healing (a major gripe I hadn't mentioned earlier). The former does seem improved, the latter... the videos I've seen give me a real doubt about it >.<

Edit Again Again: Wow I seem like I'm whining. The games are good and all but it's frustrating mainly because DP made things slower and less intuitive somehow. I guess it's a sense of knowing what you're missing out on? Tell me you haven't used a Hyper Potion or Full Restore on something nearly KO'd and then sat there humming to yourself as the HP bar recovers at the pace of a stairlift.

Edit Again Again Again: Summary above HMs. But that's not much of an issue anyway.

Last edited:

The Thrashmeister

<-- Made of awesome.
Just wondering. Are there set level LAN battles in Platinum? It got really annoying in D/P when you couldn't battle your friend properly without Wi-Fi because of mismatched levels.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
This is a stupid question, but with the incoming release of Platinum, are all the new pokemon from Sinnoh in the pre-E4 PokeDex?

What is the US release date for Platinum?

Are Dialga and Palkia both available in Platinum?

Last edited:

Darkhonchcrow

This is a stupid question, but with the incoming release of Platinum, are all the new pokemon from Sinnoh in the pre-E4 PokeDex?
Yes they are
What is the US release date for Platinum?
March
Are Dialga and Palkia both available in Platinum?
After the E4 and you have to find both the Lustorous and Adamant Orb in Mt Cornet and you cannot transfer it from D/P.

Answers in Bold.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
I'm really looking forward to playing this game in English. I can tell it'll be worth playing, from all the promo things we've seen on Pokemon.com and here. Too bad we're not at least a month away, but soon we will.

Though,
I have started playing it in Japanese, which I bought at the Comic Con. It's really tough from reading it in Japanese, I just go with whatever they're trying to say. And the animated sprites look swell, and I've just got to beating Roark's team. Really fun game, I swear with my heart.