• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Pokémon VGC Discussion Thread

Pathfinder

No Angel
Official Pokémon VGC Discussion Thread

A New Pokémon VGC Format Starts in December

Take a look at the new rules and regulations for the 2017 Pokémon Video Game Championship Series season.

We're excited to announce the new rules and regulations for the 2017 Pokémon Video Game Championship Series (VGC) season featuring the Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon video games. This new competitive format will be the official format for all VGC events, all the way up to the 2017 Pokémon World Championships. New rules typically go into effect at the beginning of the calendar year, but this year we're moving up the start of the new format to December 1, 2016.

In the 2017 Championship Series season, all battles will be Double Battles. Players must compose their teams using only Pokémon found in the Alola Regional Pokédex that have been caught in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon. This means that even if you have a Pokémon found in the Alola Regional Pokédex from a previous game, you'll have to catch it again in Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon for it to be eligible for competition. Some Legendary Pokémon will not be allowed, including Solgaleo and Lunala. Mythical Pokémon will not be allowed either, including Magearna. Other Pokémon that have yet to be revealed may also be banned from competition.

Pokémon will not be allowed to hold Mega Stones, so Mega Evolution will not be allowed. However, Pokémon will be able to hold Z-Crystals, allowing the use of new and powerful Z-Moves.

If you're looking to practice using the 2017 Pokémon VGC format, head over and start battling on the Pokémon Global Link, where you can play using this rule set year-round using the new “Championship Battles” format. This format will be available right away when Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon launch on November 18, 2016.

This season, a new player time system will be used to control the length of each battle. Similar to a chess clock, each player will have 10 total minutes to choose their moves within a game. You'll need to manage your time carefully throughout the match to make sure you have plenty of time in later rounds!

2017 VGC format summary:

• All battles played with Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon
  • Double Battles
  • Alola Regional Pokédex
  • Z-Crystals allowed
  • Mega Stones not allowed
  • Some Legendary and Mythical Pokémon banned, including Solgaleo, Lunala, and Magearna
  • 10-minute player time system

Caterpie
Metapod
Butterfree
Rattata
Raticate
Spearow
Fearow
Pikachu
Raichu
Sandshrew
Sandslash
Clefairy
Clefable
Vulpix
Ninetales
Jigglypuff
Wigglytuff
Zubat
Golbat
Paras
Parasect
Diglett
Dugtrio
Meowth
Persian
Psyduck
Golduck
Mankey
Primeape
Growlithe
Arcanine
Poliwag
Poliwhirl
Poliwrath
Abra
Kadabra
Alakazam
Machop
Machoke
Machamp
Tentacool
Tentacruel
Geodude
Graveler
Golem
Slowpoke
Slowbro
Magnemite
Magneton
Grimer
Muk
Shellder
Cloyster
Gastly
Haunter
Gengar
Drowzee
Hypno
Exeggcute
Exeggutor
Cubone
Marowak
Chansey
Kangaskhan
Goldeen
Seaking
Staryu
Starmie
Scyther
Electabuzz
Magmar
Pinsir
Tauros
Magikarp
Gyarados
Lapras
Ditto
Eevee
Vaporeon
Jolteon
Flareon
Porygon
Aerodactyl
Snorlax
Dratini
Dragonair
Dragonite
Ledyba
Ledian
Spinarak
Ariados
Crobat
Chinchou
Lanturn
Pichu
Cleffa
Igglybuff
Sudowoodo
Politoed
Espeon
Umbreon
Murkrow
Slowking
Misdreavus
Snubbull
Granbull
Scizor
Sneasel
Corsola
Delibird
Skarmory
Porygon2
Smeargle
Elekid
Magby
Miltank
Blissey
Wingull
Pelipper
Surskit
Masquerain
Makuhita
Hariyama
Nosepass
Sableye
Carvanha
Sharpedo
Wailmer
Wailord
Torkoal
Spinda
Trapinch
Vibrava
Flygon
Barboach
Whiscash
Feebas
Milotic
Castform
Absol
Snorunt
Glalie
Relicanth
Luvdisc
Bagon
Shelgon
Salamence
Beldum
Metang
Metagross
Cranidos
Rampardos
Shieldon
Bastiodon
Shellos
Gastrodon
Drifloon
Drifblim
Mismagius
Honchkrow
Bonsly
Happiny
Gible
Gabite
Garchomp
Munchlax
Riolu
Lucario
Finneon
Lumineon
Weavile
Magnezone
Electivire
Magmortar
Leafeon
Glaceon
Porygon-Z
Probopass
Froslass
Lillipup
Herdier
Stoutland
Roggenrola
Boldore
Gigalith
Cottonee
Whimsicott
Petilil
Lilligant
Sandile
Krokorok
Krookodile
Tirtouga
Carracosta
Archen
Archeops
Trubbish
Garbodor
Vanillite
Vanillish
Vanilluxe
Emolga
Alomomola
Rufflet
Braviary
Vullaby
Mandibuzz
Fletchling
Fletchinder
Talonflame
Pancham
Pangoro
Sylveon
Carbink
Goomy
Sliggoo
Goodra
Klefki
Phantump
Trevenant
Rowlet
Dartrix
Decidueye
Litten
Torracat
Incineroar
Popplio
Brionne
Primarina
Pikipek
Trumbeak
Toucannon
Yungoos
Gumshoos
Grubbin
Charjabug
Vikavolt
Crabrawler
Crabominable
Oricorio
Cutiefly
Ribombee
Rockruff
Lycanroc
Wishiwashi
Mareanie
Toxapex
Mudbray
Mudsdale
Dewpider
Araquanid
Fomantis
Lurantis
Morelull
Shiinotic
Salandit
Salazzle
Stufful
Bewear
Bounsweet
Steenee
Tsareena
Comfey
Oranguru
Passimian
Wimpod
Golisopod
Sandygast
Palossand
Pyukumuku
Type: Null
Silvally
Minior
Komala
Turtonator
Togedemaru
Mimikyu
Bruxish
Drampa
Dhelmise
Jangmo-o
Hakamo-o
Kommo-o
Tapu Koko
Tapu Lele
Tapu Bulu
Tapu Fini
Nihilego
Buzzwole
Pheromosa
Xurkitree
Celesteela
Kartana
Guzzlord

Last edited:

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
I'm gonna hazard a guess that Ultra Beasts and maybe the Tapus are banned, not so much because of their strength but because of the major role they play in the story.

It's the difference between a "Legendary" (box legendaries and important legendaries like Mewtwo) and a "legendary" (not integral to the plot but still very rare, like the bird and beast trios).

EKZ1505

I'm gonna hazard a guess that Ultra Beasts and maybe the Tapus are banned, not so much because of their strength but because of the major role they play in the story.

It's the difference between a "Legendary" (box legendaries and important legendaries like Mewtwo) and a "legendary" (not integral to the plot but still very rare, like the bird and beast trios).

I believe the Tapus will be legal, and that will open up a lot of fun strategies with their abilities. I really hope the UBs are banned though.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Maybe one Tapu per team? They are supposed to be deities after all. Of course, 4 out of 6 pokemon being fairy type is a bit much to commit to.

EKZ1505

That's possible. They're certainly good but their stats aren't too OP based on the leaks. I think I would be fine if they're banned too, especially since they will probably be pretty common and we'll have "terrain wars" next to any weather wars, but I just think it might be unlikely since there's new abilities and other things that benefit from them.

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
I heard Ultra beats are allowed in VGC..

I'm sad about this, some (like EKZ said) seem broken.

Will be hard to work around this honestly.

Pathfinder

No Angel
I don't think they'll be banned, but I'll keep this thread up to date either way though. 

I'm just so happy to like finally be done with VGC 2016 soon and move on to something different tbh lol. Don't get me wrong it was fun for awhile, but it was not my fav format and 2017 looks way more promising.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I heard Ultra beats are allowed in VGC..

I'm sad about this, some (like EKZ said) seem broken.

Will be hard to work around this honestly.
From where? From what I know nothing has been said on this topic from official sources.

Pathfinder

No Angel
From where? From what I know nothing has been said on this topic from official sources.

No you're right they haven't said anything official yet one way or the other. It's all speculation right now, but a lot of people are saying/hoping they won't be banned because they have "reasonable" base stats and aren't inherently broken on their own. Although they're definitely going to be a bit op for a regional pokedex year I can imagine, so it could really go either way I guess.

Last edited:

EKZ1505

TPCi finally seems to be taking an active interest in the competitive side (mainly VGC tho) with all the new nerfs/buffs/changes so I would be really disappointed in them to do all this but then allow the UBs to be legal.

PokeMaster366

I, for one, am excited for this year's format. I already have a team planned out for the early season. I know I'm going to try from the start to make Pallosand good.

ShinyKay

I'm personally interested in fighting the ultra beasts. While they are technically the same as Pokemon, the fact that they're like Boss Pokemon is what makes them interesting to encounter, VGC or not. So I'll be interested to see how the NON-UB spamming players handle them, if there are any.

EKZ1505

I'm not sure what that list really proves though...
That'll be disappointing if so, even if they are limited to 1-2 since they appear to be so much stronger than so many of the other new Pokémon.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
That's a nice list but it... isn't an official source. I mean, it's not a bad guess that they'd be allowed by any means (including considering their BSTs and comparing to previous VGCs - besides last year), but it's not tPC saying it.

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
That's a nice list but it... isn't an official source. I mean, it's not a bad guess that they'd be allowed by any means (including considering their BSTs and comparing to previous VGCs - besides last year), but it's not tPC saying it.

Well this is datamined so no its not an official source, if you want that we'll have to wait till release most likely.
I think the source also states its datamined, and so far datamines proof very accurate results so, yeah judge on the list knowing that.

EKZ1505

Yeah but I don't see how data mining helps. Like what did they data mine? That's basically the dex minus the "box" legends' line and 2 mythicals, so it could be a good guess, but I don't think the official list would be anywhere in the data. We'll probably have to wait until the games are out to get the list, hopefully as soon as possible since the rules already change on December 1st.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
I'm not sure what that list really proves though...
That'll be disappointing if so, even if they are limited to 1-2 since they appear to be so much stronger than so many of the other new Pokémon.

Now that the games are out I feel more comfortable talking about the UBs.

The good thing about Pheromosa is that it's just got Beast Boost as an ability and not that possible Attract-based thing we were all fearing. Also statwise wouldn't they seem to be on par with the legendary birds and beasts, i.e. the ones deemed safe to rent in Stadium? That was the vibe I was getting, which would mean they're not as OP as we thought they'd be. Would that affect their usage in VGC? I'm still thinking TPC won't let us use a whole team of them though because they're supposed to be so special storywise.

EDIT: So apparently TPC/GameFreak has a term for all these guys I'm thinking of called "sub-legendaries" if this is to be believed: https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/799322666079551488
That means we could most likely see both UBs and Tapus in tournaments, which I'm totally okay with as long as they're not ubiquitous :)

Last edited: