• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Pokémon VGC Discussion Thread

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
UBs in VGC is a bit of a shock to me but statwise it's not too over the top. I'd just hate to see teams of all UBs and Tapus everywhere - if I wanted an overly centralized meta I'd play Super Smash Bros Melee.

That might not happen though because of how extreme the stat distribution for most of the Ultra Beasts are. I'm still trying to figure out how to effectively use Pheromosa since in my understanding she's basically alive for about one turn.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
Hi there; thanks for making this thread. I am a long time competitive player but brand new to VGC. Other than practicing on VGC Battlespot in-game, how do I go about participating in the tournament once it begins, and what stages does this involve? I am still preparing my in-game team (breeding, bottle capping, EVs, etc); does this mean I am late to join, or may I still enter the format once I am ready?

Thanks!

EKZ1505

Hi there; thanks for making this thread. I am a long time competitive player but brand new to VGC. Other than practicing on VGC Battlespot in-game, how do I go about participating in the tournament once it begins, and what stages does this involve? I am still preparing my in-game team (breeding, bottle capping, EVs, etc); does this mean I am late to join, or may I still enter the format once I am ready?

Thanks!

Which tournament are you referring to? Other than local Premier Challenges, I think only the major tournament that has finished so far is the European International Championship in London this past weekend. There are still many tournaments (both small, local ones, and large national/international ones) that take place up through the end of the season next summer.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
Which tournament are you referring to? Other than local Premier Challenges, I think only the major tournament that has finished so far is the European International Championship in London this past weekend. There are still many tournaments (both small, local ones, and large national/international ones) that take place up through the end of the season next summer.

My bad, I forgot to specify. I am in the U.S and am basically interested in entering any tournament, but especially a national/international one. I'm not familiar with the dates, places, times, or registration process for any of this, though, or if there are specifics?

EKZ1505

My bad, I forgot to specify. I am in the U.S and am basically interested in entering any tournament, but especially a national/international one. I'm not familiar with the dates, places, times, or registration process for any of this, though, or if there are specifics?

When I get to my laptop later today I can find the link better, but the Pokémon Global Link has a search feature for tournaments that are currently planned. There will be local tournaments roughly every weekend (depending where you live, they may be a little drive though), and then there's multiple large Regional tournaments in winter and spring (fall's already happened). The US gets an International Challenge in place of our Nationals in the summer. The only tournament you'll have to "qualify" for is Worlds, which will be very difficult this year. Every other tournament you can typically register online for a week or two before it starts, and most tournaments let you register the day of as well if you get there early enough. Oh and there will also likely be a few online tournaments through Battle Spot as well.

Hope this was helpful, and I'll try to find the link later! Welcome to VGC btw! Hit me up if you ever want a practice battle!

Edit: Here you go:
https://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/pokemon-events/find-an-event/?mo_ar=true&so_ar=true

Last edited:

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
When I get to my laptop later today I can find the link better, but the Pokémon Global Link has a search feature for tournaments that are currently planned. There will be local tournaments roughly every weekend (depending where you live, they may be a little drive though), and then there's multiple large Regional tournaments in winter and spring (fall's already happened). The US gets an International Challenge in place of our Nationals in the summer. The only tournament you'll have to "qualify" for is Worlds, which will be very difficult this year. Every other tournament you can typically register online for a week or two before it starts, and most tournaments let you register the day of as well if you get there early enough. Oh and there will also likely be a few online tournaments through Battle Spot as well.

Hope this was helpful, and I'll try to find the link later! Welcome to VGC btw! Hit me up if you ever want a practice battle!

Edit: Here you go:
https://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/pokemon-events/find-an-event/?mo_ar=true&so_ar=true

Thank you, I really appreciate someone getting back to me about this! I'll check it out and see what I can do. I may very well contact you about battling, too. Thanks!

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
Apologies for the double post but I've another question... In tournaments, generally, do the Pokémon you use have to be of your OT, or may I use another OT pokemon? I ask because I'd like to breed the right Pokémon in Sun and trade them as babies to Moon for a play through, and I'd still like to use them in s tournament.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Apologies for the double post but I've another question... In tournaments, generally, do the Pokémon you use have to be of your OT, or may I use another OT pokemon? I ask because I'd like to breed the right Pokémon in Sun and trade them as babies to Moon for a play through, and I'd still like to use them in s tournament.

Your OT doesn't matter, but if you get Pokemon that aren't your OT it's your responsibility to make sure they're legit. If you're breeding stuff in one game and sending it to another then that's perfectly fine.

MackBusk

Reviving this thread due to the International Challenge 2017!

So, basically, it's the exact same VGC-rules for this tournament like the previous VGC for S&M.
- No mega
- Only Alolan-obtainable pokes

These two caught my eye since we've received the Pokebank-patch already.
Does this include egg-moves unobtainable in S&M? And the type of ball your mon was bred with?

Thanks

EKZ1505

So, basically, it's the exact same VGC-rules for this tournament like the previous VGC for S&M.
- No mega

Does this include egg-moves unobtainable in S&M? And the type of ball your mon was bred with?

Thanks

Egg moves and Pokeballs obtainable through Pokebank access are legal now

Nitocrys

Because I'm Happy.
International Challenge February linked for ease of access to the information for discussion.

Looks like fun. I wasn't able to attend the Georgia Regionals a few months back, so being able to participate in one of these events should be enjoyable. What kind of team do you all plan to run? I'm thinking of experimenting with an interesting sunroom team I've been working on, but I'm curious to hear what others are thinking of doing.

Well, hopefully there are others. I've just noticed the VGC subforum got nixed and am slightly sad that not enough people stuck around to keep that active. Myself included.

MackBusk

Egg moves and Pokeballs obtainable through Pokebank access are legal now

Are they? Did I miss it in the rule-set announcement?

Cryssy, I haven't decided upon a team yet. Done the breeding and all, but I wasn't aware of the tournament until a couple of days ago sadly. No preps.
Noticed as well. I'm super-happy that I got TWO replies though. What kinda sunroom-team are you gonna run?

JohnnyBlaze

Shiny Hunter

- No mega

Thanks

Anyone else having problems registering their event (now Gyarados) Lunar Magikarp in this competition? Pokémon-Gl says Mystery Gift Pokémon with special moves are legal, but it keeps saying there is a problem with it. I redeemed the code in my own 3DS so I know 100% it's legit...

EKZ1505

Are they? Did I miss it in the rule-set announcement?

Yep! Though it's never changed. All that it requires is that the Pokémon you use be born/caught/received in Alola.

Anyone else having problems registering their event (now Gyarados) Lunar Magikarp in this competition? Pokémon-Gl says Mystery Gift Pokémon with special moves are legal, but it keeps saying there is a problem with it. I redeemed the code in my own 3DS so I know 100% it's legit...

It is legal, but how are you having trouble exactly?

Last edited:

JohnnyBlaze

Shiny Hunter
Yep! Though it's never changed. All that it requires is that the Pokémon you use be born/caught/received in Alola.

It is legal for VGC and the WCS on Battle Spot, but what do you mean "this competition?" Registration for the International Challenge February has not even started yet, let alone the competition itself...sorry, not sure what you mean here.

Yeah, I just registered on the Global Link Website for the 2017 International Challenge February and I just got my digital ID for it in battle spot, but the game is not allowing me to register with my bounce gyarados... And sorry "this competition" I was referring to is in fact the International Challenge February lol The game gives the "There appears to be a problem with one or more Pokémon in your Battle Team." error message. :(

Last edited:

EKZ1505

Yeah, I just registered on the Global Link Website for the 2017 International Challenge February and I just got my digital ID for it in battle spot, but the game is not allowing me to register with my bounce gyarados... And sorry "this competition" I was referring to is in fact the International Challenge February lol

Sorry didn't get to edit it in time I guess; just saw serebii post that registration is up. So the game is singling out your Gyarados, and everything about it is legal within the VGC rules (no duplicate items, etc.) and it was legitimately obtained? If so then you need the send a request for them to address this, because it should be legal. I know there was an event last year that was similarly problematic and simply ended up being banned, but I have a hard time believing it would happen again.

JohnnyBlaze

Shiny Hunter
Sorry didn't get to edit it in time I guess; just saw serebii post that registration is up. So the game is singling out your Gyarados, and everything about it is legal within the VGC rules (no duplicate items, etc.) and it was legitimately obtained? If so then you need the send a request for them to address this, because it should be legal. I know there was an event last year that was similarly problematic and simply ended up being banned, but I have a hard time believing it would happen again.

No worries! :D I was just a bit confused about your first message lol Yeah no duplicate items, everything is under the rule book so I'm pretty confused about it lol How would I go about contacting them about this issue? Also I hope it doesn't get banned, that would throw my strategy and team off! Lmao

Last edited: