• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dracoste

Dracode telepateeeh!
Touche -_O On a different note, are there any Pokes that any of you guys didn't like in the 5th gen, but you now like?

The gear family until I saw how briliant it was(beginning as two cogs and then developing towards an complex meganism.), the Vanipeti line until I looked at it for a couple of weeks and reallized how funny and original it actually is, the Rajin trio because of their pose, but that changed when I saw their animation and Daikenki until I forgot about it's pre-evos and see it at what it is: a seal-samurai with a mustache, goatee, epic long beard and a shellmet(also it's sugi art helped it, because it looked cute in it.)

I've also grown over the feeling that Hihidaruma and Musharna don't have an evolution, because when I first saw them I thought they had an evolution. Probably if I never looked at the 5th gen pokémon and it's evolutions, I probably kept them until they evolved(same thing with my Rhydon, except I didn't know how to evolve it). The same thing happened when my Shinx evolved into Luxio, I knew it had an evo because it looked "unfinished".

Last edited:

james2791

Dragon Sneeze
Touche -_O On a different note, are there any Pokes that any of you guys didn't like in the 5th gen, but you now like? For me, it was pretty much all of them, especially Roopushin cuz he just freaked me out, but he seems pretty awesome now.

Agreed completely... I think over time when new Pokes are released, we just seem to be shocked with the 'radical' designs of some, but end up being adored and liked.
When Tsutarja, Pokabu and Mijumarus' evo line was shown/leaked for the first time, I was completely shocked (like the majority of us), but now, they all seem damn awesome.

As for the starters names, Pignite, Piglit for Pokabu seems to be my bet. dont know for the others.... well have to wait and see.

Sabonea_Masukippa

For those who don't know here's the pun's in the Japanese starter names:

Tsutarja: Corruption of "tsuta" which means ivy + 'ja' an alternate reading for this character 蛇 which means snake/serpent.
Pokabu: From the onomatopoeia pokapoka meaning a warm feeling (especially body warmth) + buta 'pig'
Mijumaru: Most likely from mijuku meaning 'untrained, inexperienced, immature, unripe' and maru which means circle or round, but is also a traditional suffix on boys names.

Of course, starter names in English tend not to be related to the Japanese names much at all (Chikorita being on obvious exception).

What time/how long until the names come? Or is it just whenever they feel like it? :p

Sabonea_Masukippa

Oh, I knew that :p Just wanted to know if we knew it was happening at a certain time, for example, or just whenever.
It's not even 6pm central time on Sunday there yet, so it could be a while waiting yet :p

BCVM22

Or is it just whenever they feel like it? :p

NoA's de-facto "update time" is usually around 9 AM Pacific time (GMT -8, I think); it's usually around then that the weekly WiiWare/VC additions go live and it's usually around then that any web stuff of theirs is updated.

This is not a guarantee, just a guideline.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Tsutarja: Corruption of "tsuta" which means ivy + 'ja' an alternate reading for this character 蛇 which means snake/serpent.
Pokabu: From the onomatopoeia pokapoka meaning a warm feeling (especially body warmth) + buta 'pig'
Mijumaru: Most likely from mijuku meaning 'untrained, inexperienced, immature, unripe' and maru which means circle or round, but is also a traditional suffix on boys names.

That's really neat information there. I knew what Tsutarja's name was derived from since I saw someone post about it before, but I had been confused about the origin of Pokabu and Mijumaru's names. I always thought that the "bu" part of Pokabu's name came from ブー (bu), which is the Japanese equivalent of "oink" apparently. As for Mijumaru, I always thought it's name was derived from 水 (mizu), a reference to it being a Water-type Pokemon. I guess you learn something new everyday.

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
NoA's de-facto "update time" is usually around 9 AM Pacific time (GMT -8, I think); it's usually around then that the weekly WiiWare/VC additions go live and it's usually around then that any web stuff of theirs is updated.

This is not a guarantee, just a guideline.

So that's.... roughly 16 hours from now, right? Or have I miscalculated? I hope so, cause I was hoping it'd be midnight. Was planning to stay up and everything.

[aka]

Speaking of names, I love Muurando's name and think it would work perfectly as "Mulondo". (Mustache+long+dog.)

BCVM22

So that's.... roughly 16 hours from now, right?

If your "now" point is 6 PM Pacific Time (roughly 6 minutes from the time of this post), it's 15 hours.

Them updating right at the crack of midnight is not impossible but unlikely. "Monday, November 22" doesn't usually mean "the very second at which the calender turns to that day".

Sabonea_Masukippa

Speaking of names, I've been working on name meanings for the Japanese names, only up to Mamambou and I'm sure no one's that interested but anyway:

To save myself explaining each time, here’s some sound changes in Japanese depending on the phonetic context:
k --> g
s-->z (but shi --> ji)
t -->d
h-->p, b

Also sometimes when romanizing: r=l, b=v, ji = zi, su = th

Victini - Victory + Tiny
Tsutarja - Corruption of Tsuta 蔦 “ivy” + ja 蛇 “snake”
Janovy - Ja 蛇 “snake” + ivy.
Jalorda - Ja 蛇“snake” + lord
Pokabu - Pokapoka “warmth/warm body” + buta 豚 “pig”
Chaobu - Chao from Chinese for “great” or Chaobi “brown belt” + buu a corruption of “pig” or the word for “oink”
Emboar - Ember + Boar
Mijumaru - Mijuku 未熟 “inexperienced/young/unskilled” + maru 丸/円 “round/circle”, also a traditional suffix for boy’s names.
Futachimaru - Futatsu 二つ “two” + Hotachi “shell” + maru “round/circle”, also a traditional suffix for boy’s names.
Daikenki - Dai 大 “big/large/great” + Kenki 剣鬼 “devilish swordsman”
Minezumi - miru 見る “see/look/watch” + nezumi 鼠 “mouse”
Miruhog - miru 見る “see/look/watch” + grounghog
Yorterrie - Portmanteau of Yorkshire Terrier
Harderrier - Either Hair or Hard + terrier
Murando - Moustache + Long + Dog
Choroneko - Choromakasu “to pilfer/steal” + neko 猫 “cat”
Leopardas - Leopard + random s/th sound or dasu “to take out”
Yanappu - Yanagi 柳 “willow” + ape
Yanakkie - Yanagi 柳 “willow” + monkey
Baoppu - Boab tree + ape (not 100% happy with this one)
Baokkie - Boab tree + monkey
Hiyappu - Hyacinth or hiya 冷 “cold water” + ape
Hiyakkie - Hyacinth or hiya冷 “cold water” + monkey
Munna - Mu 夢 “dream” + (maybe, but not convinced) lunar
Musharna - Mu “dream”
Mamepato - Mame 忠実 “diligent/loyal’ + hato 鳩 “pigeon”. Could be a play on mune 胸 “chest” and haato ハート “heart” which is a feature of Mamepato’s design.
Hatooboo - Hato “pigeon” 鳩
Kenhorou - Kenken is onomatopoeia for hopping on one foot (as seen in Kenhorou’s sprite) + horohoro is onomatopoeia for a gurgling bird sound.
Shimama - Corruption of Shima-uma 縞馬 “zebra”
Zebraika - Zebra + raika 雷火 "flash of lightning"
Dangoro - Either dangai 断崖 “cliff”, dan “sound of something heavy landing after a fall” or Dango “dumpling” + gorogoro “sound of something heavy rolling”
Gantle - Gan 岩 “rock” + mantle
Gigaiath - Giga + Gaia + Goliath
Koromori - Korokoro “sound of something light rolling” + koumori 蝙蝠 “bat”
Kokoromori - kokoro 心 “heart” + koumori蝙蝠“bat”
Mogurew - Mogura 土竜 “mole” + ryuu 竜 “dragon. When written in characters, Mogura means literally “soil dragon”. This is a play off of that.
Doryuuzu - Do 土 “soil/earth/dirt” + Ryuu竜“dragon” + Doriruzu “drills”. See above.
Tabunne - Literally means “Probably, right?” or “maybe”
Dokkora -
Dotekkotsu - Doteppara 土手っ腹“guts” + kotsu 骨 “bones/skeleton”
Roobushin - Low (maybe) + Bushin 武神 “god of military arts”
Otamaro - Otamajakushi お玉杓子 “tadpole” + maro 麿 “someone with thin eyebrows”
Gamagaru - Gama 蝦蟇 “toad” + a corruption of ‘frog’ kaeru 蛙, when used in another word for toad: hikigaeru 蟇蛙
Gamageroge - gama蝦蟇“toad” + gerogero “ribbitribbit”
Nageki - nageru “to throw” 投げる + “geki” 激 violent
Dageki - literally means a blow or strike on an opponent. See above.
Kurumiru - Kurumu 包む “to wrap up in/dress up in” + (maybe) irui 衣類 “clothes/clothing/garments”
Kurumayu - Kurumu包む “to wrap up in/dress up in” + Mayu 繭 “cocoon”
Hahakomori - ha 葉 "leaf" + haha 母 "mother" + komori 子守 "baby-sitting"
Fushide - Fushi 節 “joint” + mukade 百足 “centipede”
Wheega - Wheel + (maybe) iga 毬 “burr”
Pendora - (thanks Bulbapedia) corruption of Scolopendra subspinipes
Monmen - Either corruption of Momen “cotton” or a portmanteau of momen “cotton” and monster.
Elfuun - (Maybe) Elf + fuu-un 風雲 “wind and cloud”
Tuline -Tulip + ne 根 "root", possibly a play on yurine 百合根 "lily bulb"
Doreidia - Dorei土鈴 ‘earthernware bell’ + a corruption of the English word ‘lady.’ Dorei is also a word for slave 奴隷
Basurao - Bass + masurao 益荒男 “hero”
Meguroco - meguroi 目黒い "dark eyed" + croc
Waruvile - Waru 悪 “bad” + vile + (maybe) crocodile
Waruvial - Waru悪“bad” + gavial (thanks Bulbapedia)
Darumakka - Daruma “Daruma doll” + makka 真っ赤 “crimson/rich red” + ka 火 “fire”
Hihidaruma - Hihi “baboon” + hidaruma 火達磨 “state of being on fire” + daruma “Daruma doll”
Maraccachi - Maracas + catchy or mariachi
Ishizumai - ishi 石 “a stone” + sumai 住まい “residence”
Iwapalace - iwa 岩 “rock” + palace
Zurug - zuruzuru “sound of dragging, something being loose” + thug (not Zulu -____-)
Zuruzukin - zuruzuru “sound of dragging, something being loose” + skin or (maybe) kin
Symbolar - Symbol
Deathmas - Death + mask
Deathkahn - Death + a corruption of kan 棺 “tomb/coffin”, and/or a corruption of Tutankhamen
Protorga - Proto + tortgua Spanish for turtle (thanks Bulbagarden)
Abagora -
Archeon - corruption of archaeopteryx
Archeos - corruption of archaeopteryx
Yabukuron - yabuku “tear/burst” + fukuro 袋 “bag”
Dustdas - Dust/Garbage + dasu 出す ‘to put out/to reveal”
Zorua - Zoro, Spanish for fox
Zoroark - Zoro, Spanish for fox + Dark
Chillarmy - Chinchilla + army or ermine (armin アーミン in Japanese, compared to Chirarmii チラーミィ)
Chillaccino - Chinchilla + (possibly, thanks to Bulbapedia) Chino cloth.
Gochimu - gothic + (possibly) mutto "to look sullen" or the English word ‘mood’.
Gochimiru - gochi "gothic" + miru 見る "to see"
Gochiruzeru - gothic + mademoiselle
Uniran - Uni + ran 卵 which is possibly a play on egg/yolk sac
Douburan - Double + ran (see above)
Ranculus - Ran (see above) + homunculus
Koaruhie - ko 子 “child” + a corruption of “ahiru” 家鴨 which is duck
Swanna - A corruption of the English word ‘swan’.
Vanipetti - vanilla + petite “small/diminutive”
Vanirichi - vanilla + rich
Baivanilla - bai 倍 “multiple, double” or bi- meaning double + vanilla
Shikijika - shiki 四季 ‘four seasons’ + shika 鹿 deer
Mebukijika - mebuku 芽吹く to bud + shika 鹿 deer
Emonga - electricity/electric + momonga, ‘flying squirrel’
Kaburumo - kaburu 被る “to wear”
Chevalugot(Shubarugo) - shubaria from the French "chevalier" or “knight” in English + es cargot, cooked snails.
Tamagetake - tamageru 魂消る “to be astonished or startled” + take (as in shiitake 茸 “mushroom”
Morobareru - Moroude/morote “both arms/both hands” + bareru “to be exposed/uncovered/revealed”
Pururiru - (maybe) comes from the English words ‘pull’ and ‘frill’.
Blungel - (thanks to Bulbapedia) Blue + angel
Mamambo - Mama “mother” + Mambou 翻車魚 “ocean sunfish”

Will edit later with the rest if I get time.

R_N

Wouldn't Burungel make more sense as Blue gel

Jellyfish are often compared to gelatin and jelly

Kurloz Makara

Red Death
Why do I have a feeling that Tsutarja's English name might include some French word (considering it's kinda based on French royalty)? I could be wrong, though. :(

Sabonea_Masukippa

Ji is a rather uncommon reading of 二 which means two, making Jihead's name literally mean Twohead. It's resemblance to a violent religious dogma is unfortunate, but unintentional, and I beleive the romanizition is not intended to be Zihead.

Zu comes from 頭 meaning head, so Monozu is literally Monohead. Sa and san/zan both mean three 三, so Sazandra's name literally means something like Trithreedra.

Dr. Leggs

Astral Cowboy
I always nickname my Pokemon so I'm not particularly concerned about how good the English names are... The only thing that ever irks me about name translations is learning all the names again. Because I had all the Japanese names memorized pretty quickly. XD

Jagged

The only thing that ever irks me about name translations is learning all the names again. Because I had all the Japanese names memorized pretty quickly. XD

Yeah that happened to me. I remember when I was playing D/P for the first time and I was choosing a starter and I was like "Should I pick Naetoru or Pochama?" Then I thought for a second and face-palmed :p

Crystal_Power

The Champion!
Look eight, ten, twelve and thirteen posts up.

Oh, I can't wait much longer, this was something I wanted to know since they were revealed. But if Tsutarja's English name is Smugleaf I swear I'm going to vomit....

Status
Not open for further replies.