• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crystal_Power

The Champion!
it will never be smugleaf no matter how many fanboys and or girls like it :p

I sure hope your right. I think it sounds...bad, really bad.
No offense to anyone who like the name. ^^

Jagged

I think I talked about this in a past thread, but I'll say it again. Does anyone think it's weird how Luvdisc and Mamanbou aren't related? I mean, I know that B/W was supposed to be a gen COMPLETELY seperate from the others (meaning no pre-evos/evos from past gens), but why put in a Pokemon that looks SO MUCH LIKE a possible evo for Luvdisc?

R_N

They talked about this in an interview. Since there would be no old Pokemon in Isshu, they decided not to limit themselves based on animals/ideas used before.

Jagged

Well, I guess that makes more sense. I mean, they did recycle using Electric/Fire/Ice in the major Legndary trio, the first being the Bird trio.

R_N

Well, I guess that makes more sense. I mean, they did recycle using Electric/Fire/Ice in the major Legndary trio, the first being the Bird trio.

Reusing types isn't that major, honestly. There's only so many, afterall.

If the dragons were straight up birds then maybe.

Crystal_Power

The Champion!
I think I talked about this in a past thread, but I'll say it again. Does anyone think it's weird how Luvdisc and Mamanbou aren't related? I mean, I know that B/W was supposed to be a gen COMPLETELY seperate from the others (meaning no pre-evos/evos from past gens), but why put in a Pokemon that looks SO MUCH LIKE a possible evo for Luvdisc?

Yea, I know what you mean like.
370.png
This does not = this
594.png

148.png
But this = this
149.png

I wonder if at first they might did have plans to have Pokemon from other regions be in Isshu? Luvdisc and Mamanbou look so much alike. Maybe they just should have made Mamanbou purple like it's shiny form for it's original form...

Exodd

My guess at the starters' English names is Snivy, Porkurn, and Otturai.

Last edited:

Jagged

My guess at the starters' English names is Snivy, Porkurn, and Otturai.

Hmmm...I think they might keep the samurai referrence until Futachimaru/Daikenki's english names, cuz they seem the more samurai-ish type, but that's just me.

Mr. E Goods

Gone for good

They probably are biologically related in the pokemon world, since they are so similar. But Mamanbou is really just a replacement of Luvdisc for this gen

Pikacu

Cant Beat The Heat!
They probably are biologically related in the pokemon world, since they are so similar. But Mamanbou is really just a replacement of Luvdisc for this gen

But why isnt luvdisc in B/W aswell as Mamanbou (whats the point of having a replacement)

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Someone knows what is the time will they will reveal the staters' names? I mean when exactly it should happen?

Last edited:

Jagged

Someone knows what is the time will they will reveal the staters' names? I mean when exactly it should happen?

I'm not even sure they have a specific time set, but I'm from Australia and my Monday's nearly up, as it is 10:05 p.m. over here

Pikacu

Cant Beat The Heat!

im guessing within the next few hours im currently sitting and refresing the page, i dont think they announced an official time

Sabonea_Masukippa

But why isnt luvdisc in B/W aswell as Mamanbou (whats the point of having a replacement)

Because Isshu was conceived as being a seperate ecosystem from the first four regions, and so no old Pokemon were to appear from the start. This also freed them up to re-use some basic shapes, animals or colours for Pokemon that are filling the same/simillar environmental niche, which is why things like Mamambou exist.

As for the fan-rage inducing names, there's no set time, but BCVM22 suggested 9AM American Eastern time is a typical guideline for those sort of updates (just over 2 hours away as of now)

Last edited:

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Because Isshu was conceived as being a seperate ecosystem from the first four regions, and so no old Pokemon were to appear from the start. This also freed them up to re-use some basic shapes, animals or colours for Pokemon that are filling the same/simillar environmental niche, which is why things like Mamambou exist.

Understandable, but I still think that making a Pokemon with alarming similarities to Luvdisc and not having it evolve from said Pokemon is major trolling on their part. They could have at least made it clear early on that it wasn't a Luvdisc evolution. Or at least do what they did with Electivire, make it an evolution but not in the regional Pokedex, so you wouldn't have to deal with it until after you beat the game and thus could find Luvdisc.

As for the fan-rage inducing names, there's no set time, but BCVM22 suggested 9AM is a typical guideline for those sort of updates (just over 3 hours away as of now)

Three hours? Three HOURS?! THREE HOURS?!?! The only rage being induced here is because of the freakin' wait! I mean sure, three hours seems like nothing, but do you have any idea how long that is in Pokemon fanatic years?!?!

Sabonea_Masukippa

Understandable, but I still think that making a Pokemon with alarming similarities to Luvdisc and not having it evolve from said Pokemon is major trolling on their part. They could have at least made it clear early on that it wasn't a Luvdisc evolution. Or at least do what they did with Electivire, make it an evolution but not in the regional Pokedex, so you wouldn't have to deal with it until after you beat the game and thus could find Luvdisc.

Apart from being pink fish they don't look that similar, at least not to me. They look like they could be related, but no more than Shikijika and Stantler or Nosepass and Gigaiath.

Three hours? Three HOURS?! THREE HOURS?!?! The only rage being induced here is because of the freakin' wait! I mean sure, three hours seems like nothing, but do you have any idea how long that is in Pokemon fanatic years?!?!

Three hours, maybe more maybe less. I am aware of how long it may feel - just go read a book or watch TV or something and forget about it for a while to pass the time.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
If Mamanbou was originally going to be an evolution of Luvdisc, they must've changed the idea early on, because Mamanbou is functionally VERY different from Luvdisc. Luvdisc has the fragile speedster stat spread, but Mamanbou has the bulky HP stat spread. The two also have pretty few moves in common and entirely different Abilities.

Nearly all Pokémon have the same function and specialties when they evolve; Luvdisc and Mamanbou are just too different.

Wouldn't Burungel make more sense as Blue gel

Jellyfish are often compared to gelatin and jelly

No, because the G in Burungel's name is a hard G. You'd pronounce it like you would "get," except with an L in place of the T.

Ji is a rather uncommon reading of 二 which means two, making Jihead's name literally mean Twohead. It's resemblance to a violent religious dogma is unfortunate, but unintentional, and I beleive the romanizition is not intended to be Zihead.

Zu comes from 頭 meaning head, so Monozu is literally Monohead. Sa and san/zan both mean three 三, so Sazandra's name literally means something like Trithreedra.

Splitting hairs here, but I want to clear up a misconception: Jihad is NOT something evil, despite what Al Qaeda and the like make them seem to be. Jihad is a religious war done out of self-defense, against a direct threat to the existence of Islam. Also, the opposing side MUST have caused the first strike. (The Koran forbids any sort of violence to anybody except in times of war.) The United States is not a threat to Islam; terrorist attacks on the USA are not actually acts of jihad. A true jihad would be the reaction against the Crusades, where the Roman Catholic Church attempted to take Jerusalem by force about 1000 years ago, which was occupied by the Muslims at that time. Another example would be the communists' attempted takeover of Afghanistan (as Stalinist communism is atheist)--and the American forces helped the Afghans repel them.

Nevertheless, the word is incredibly sensitive and controversial, and I apologize if I upset anyone with the above paragraph. I really don't want to offend anybody. But I just wanted to make it clear that it's not an evil term at all.

Also, Jiheddo's name will certainly change, as I'm sure Nintendo of America has noticed the unfortunate similarity. I'd bet they'll try to keep the puns though...something like Bicranium or Duodome, though I'm sure they've come up with something better than that.

Sabonea_Masukippa

If Mamanbou was originally going to be an evolution of Luvdisc, they must've changed the idea early on, because Mamanbou is functionally VERY different from Luvdisc. Luvdisc has the fragile speedster stat spread, but Mamanbou has the bulky HP stat spread. The two also have pretty few moves in common and entirely different Abilities.

This, forever this.

Splitting hairs here, but I want to clear up a misconception: Jihad is NOT something evil, despite what Al Qaeda and the like make them seem to be. Jihad is a religious war done out of self-defense, against a direct threat to the existence of Islam. Also, the opposing side MUST have caused the first strike. (The Koran forbids any sort of violence to anybody except in times of war.) The United States is not a threat to Islam; terrorist attacks on the USA are not actually acts of jihad. A true jihad would be the reaction against the Crusades, where the Roman Catholic Church attempted to take Jerusalem by force about 1000 years ago, which was occupied by the Muslims at that time. Another example would be the communists' attempted takeover of Afghanistan (as Stalinist communism is atheist)--and the American forces helped the Afghans repel them.

Am well away, hence why I never used the term evil. 'Violent religious dogma' still describes the concept of religiously advocated wars, regardless of the religion used to justify them, in my opinion. Regardless, we move on.

Also, Jiheddo's name will certainly change, as I'm sure Nintendo of America has noticed the unfortunate similarity. I'd bet they'll try to keep the puns though...something like Bicranium or Duodome, though I'm sure they've come up with something better than that.

Yes, I'm sure they'll go for something like that, I did think about something like Tridra /Trydrafor Sazandra earlier today, although most of my thought up names are awful, although I will stand by stuff like Hoglow (Pokabu/Chaobu), Mushield (Morobareru), and Rollder (Dangoro) until I die :p.

You know what I'm looking forward to more than finding out the names - the massive trolling fan rage where people swear to Arceus that they're going to nickname their Wottar "Miju4eva" and decry NoA's lack of creativity. Ah, good times.

Last edited:

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
You know what I'm looking forward to more than finding out the names - the massive trolling fan rage where people swear to Arceus that they're going to nickname their Wottar "Miju4eva" and decry NoA's lack of creativity. Ah, good times.

I like to call it the "Gonbe effect".

Status
Not open for further replies.