• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindsy95

FC: 4428-2451-8791
Unova reigon? sounds odd. The BW site is updated... but my flash is so old it can't load, someone else take a peek?

Unova reminds me of the word 'nova'.

Beeblebrox

I like Oshawott; a bit obscure and not particularly obvious, but it suits. Snivy was fairly predictable, and Tepig is a bit underwhelming; I reckon the intensity of the flame's description will increase up the evolutions.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Not too bad names, indeed. Glad my guessed named "Snaivy" almost made the cut by 1 word. x3

And the Unova Region for Isshu's English game. Glad we got more than the 3 starters names. ^^

Chimchar15

I was weirded out by Tepig until I found out what Tepid meant. Very clever. If there's one thing I can say about NoA is that they never fail when it comes to naming Pokemon.

lindsy95

FC: 4428-2451-8791
Any idea on how to say Unova?
Yuu-nova, or Un-ova?
-fails-

Does the B/W page have anything else, regarding english names? I assume not.

HookShot

Shiny get!
Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott. Huh, not too bad all in all. Snivy's a nice name, and I'm sure I've heard it thrown around before. It's no Smugleaf or anything, but it's good. Tepig, I'm not sold on yet, but I'll get used to it. Oshawott sounds great and it is definetly a name that I want to know the meaning behind. So yeah, all in all, I like them. Oh and Unova's a nice name, too.

Now we wait for the complaining to start. Oh joy.

Sabonea_Masukippa

Other then Tepig, Oshawott and Snivy and Unova the site reconfirms Reshiram and Zekrom and gives them the classifications of Vast White and Deep Black Pokemon respectively, the starter's classifications remain literal translations of the Japanese though.

bippacooleth

Quiver Dance=Success
Yay names before I went to bed ^^ Okay...

Snivy - I like it. A few people proposed it, I think, and it suits him. How are people pronouncing it though? S-nivy or Sni-vy?

Tepig - Its a strange one. The fact it comes from Tepid, a dull kind of word, is odd for me, due to his bright colour scheme. It seems about right for a starter though. As someone said above, this makes me think that the names will get 'hotter' as it evolves

Oshawott - At first glance, I thought wtf? But looking at it, I like it a lot. It doesn't seem like an English name to me, but its unique and not difficult to pronounce or anything. Just kind of long winded....

And the Unova Region - not really sure on this one. I don't like the 'u' at the beginning, I think, but at least we have our familiar 'o' again :D overall, good going NoA, in my opinion anyway :p

Last edited:

BCVM22

Does the B/W page have anything else, regarding english names? I assume not.

No. Just a brief spin around the newly-renamed Unova region with a few screenshots. The starters and the region name are the sum total of new information for today.

Grei

not the color
Snivy I've heard before. Nice.

Tepig... what are the derivatives of that name? It's a nice name, I'm just wondering where the "Te-" comes in.

Oshawott is reeeeally weird. I'm not sure where the "oshaw-" part comes in, but I assume the "-ott" is from "otter" and the "w" in front of "-ott" is for "water." Is it a pun on Ocelot or something...?

Overall I'm not complaining. I'm used to Tsutarja, Pokabu, and Mijumaru, but I'll get used to Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott soon enough.

Unova region sounds kind of cool. It's strange, though--all of the past regions have had similar English names to their Japanese names. Unova is nothing like Isshu.

xsedr

The Moral Aethiest
Snivy, it's unique but still, it can't compare with Smugleaf/Smuglord. Unless of course Jalorda gets a good english name. Tepig will take some getting used too. As long as Enbuooh turns out to be Emboar I'm good, Oshawott isn't bad.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Holy krap! Snivy was my first ever guess for Tsutarja & I was right on the money!!! Though I don't get Tepig & Oshawott, I also don't get how Isshu became the Unova Region

ShinyVaati

100% Rebel Time Lord
Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott... not bad. Only one I'm kind of "meh" towards is Tepig; that's really the best they could come up with? Take the "d" off "Tepid" and replace it with "g"?

And Unova, I have to say I'm surprised. First time a main region's name has been changed entirely from its Japanese name.

Snivy, you're still my favorite though.

Status
Not open for further replies.