• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
How'd they get the name "Oshawott"?
I wonder how many people guessed "Snivy"?
-------------

Crystal_Power

The Champion!
I can live with the Starter name changes, but Unova!!!

Really!? I guess Isshu sounding like Issue so they changed it so there won't be an Isshu....

LimeStar

Unova is alright, I'll definitely get used to it... reminds me of Oblivia though.
Snivy is good. I'm happy with Snivy.
Tepig, ehh, very obscure, I wouldn't have thought many kids would know what tepid means.
Oshawott, it's okay I guess. I'll get used to it, obviously, but Mijumaru was such a cute name, whereas Oshawott is more quirky. I'll nickname him something, so it wont matter too much ^_^

So Snake + Ivy, Tepid + Pig, and... Ocean + Shell + Otter?

BCVM22

Hate the names.

There's the first.

I wonder what they'll nmae the evoloutions? Snivy... Snivlord? -shot-

Remember, the name breaks down as [Sn][ivy], from snake and ivy. That wouldn't seem to indicate they'll keep "Sniv" as part of the evolution names, but who knows.

Tepig... what are the derivatives of that name? It's a nice name, I'm just wondering where the "Te-" comes in.

Tepid, meaning lukewarm, and pig.

Oshawott is reeeeally weird. I'm not sure where the "oshaw-" part comes in

Ocean + water + otter is my best guess.

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
Snivy is a nice fitting name, though I thought it fitted Janobi more. I like how it has not just snake and ivy, but also snide, and maybe snivelly.

Tepig is meh. I associate tepid with water temperature, and it sounds too much like teh pig.

Oshawott is really strange, but I like it. It's pretty onomatopoeiauicantspellthiseauic. Wash, spolt, water, otter...

Unova is not impressive. Another region. How 'drole'.

bippacooleth

Quiver Dance=Success
Tepig comes from the word Tepid, definitions of which are shown in an earlier link, and on the main sight. It basically means lukewarm - Tepig as a colder fire as a starter, basic pokemon.

Linkdarkside

Unova region sounds kind of cool. It's strange, though--all of the past regions have had similar English names to their Japanese names. Unova is nothing like Isshu.
probably it got renamed because is similar to the english word Issue.

Last edited:

Chimchar15

I really getting used to Tepig. I just want to know what Osha comes from in Oshawott. Lol people over at Pokebeach are getting pretty worked up over the new names lol. Heh like I said back in September the Japanese release was our Christmas and now we're in the after Christmas part where some people are happy with what they got and some aren't.

LimeStar

C'mon guys, Unova names aren't that bad :DDDDDD

But seriously, how do you think it's pronounced?
You-nova? Like Uxie?
Oo-nova? Like Buuburn?
Uh-Nova? Like Umbreon?

Sabonea_Masukippa

Tepid is reasonably close to the meaning of 'pokapoka' in Pokabu anyway. It's not a particularly warm word, but sort of ... tepid. :p

Sponge

As for the names....

Snivy - Don't mind this....it's surprising as this one I actually saw suggested by some people.

Tepig - Interesting I don't think anyone thought of this....I suppose nobody was ever going to slap the word "Tepid" on a fire type....but it's a good name I think.

Oshawott - My first impression was "Wott!?" but I think It's a grower even though it's a bit left field and out of the blue.

Unova - Isshu was perfect. :( Unova isn't terrible by any means.....but Isshu why must you leave us?? ;_;

Obviously I'll have to give it all time to sink in...

garfield15

Digi/Pokemon lover
Okay, Snivy is perfect. Seriously, it sounds like a "I'm better than you name." Love

Tepig is meh but I can deal.

Osha-what? You just want people to hate Miju don't you Nintendo? I guess it is pretty out there.

(Why the hell was Isshu renamed? I guess this is killing the "they might keep some names for the anime since most of them are in English" theory)

lindsy95

FC: 4428-2451-8791
There's the first.

Remember, the name breaks down as [Sn][ivy], from snake and ivy. That wouldn't seem to indicate they'll keep "Sniv" as part of the evolution names, but who knows.

....ohhh. I thought it was snide+ivy.

I'm kinda sad that they change the reigon name but Unova certanly isn't bad.

I hope its Yuu-nova instead of un-ova.

Yuu-nova sounds cooler X3 but I'll settle for either pronounciation. (sp?)

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
snivy and tepig: nice names
oshawott: great name!!!!
Unova region: soooo much better than Isshu! it sounds a lot cooler and more... mysterious

Crystal_Power

The Champion!
probably it got renamed because is similar to the english world Issues.

Yea that's what I said. Not to mention the first Black people appear in the games called Black and White. Having Isshu sound like Issue was just asking for trouble. Maybe...

TeddiUrsa

For the first time in many years and many Generation I am very happy with the German names, maybe like them just as much as the japanese ones.

Floink especially is just awesome and much better than Tepig. I was hoping that the "dub-name" would keep the oink/bu theme of Pokabu.

Ottaro is funny but not as good as Mijumaru, but at least MUCH better than Oshawott.

Snivy, Serpifeu and Tsutarja are all equally good to me too.
I mostly use the japanese names if I remember them from the top of my head, otherwise I'll use the english ones here, but I am really tempted to start using the German names only. :p

Sponge

....ohhh. I thought it was snide+ivy.

I'm kinda sad that they change the reigon name but Unova certanly isn't bad.

I hope its Yuu-nova instead of un-ova.

Yuu-nova sounds cooler X3 but I'll settle for either pronounciation. (sp?)

I hope it's Yuu-nova too....but tbh regardless that's how I'll pronounce it.

Un-ova is just going to make me think of the Uno board game.

Maybe they changed Isshu cause they thought we'd start mixing up the word Issue with Isshu? Isshu isn't a hard word to say at all so it can't be that.

Status
Not open for further replies.