• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimchar15

Unova is alright, I'll definitely get used to it... reminds me of Oblivia though.
Snivy is good. I'm happy with Snivy.
Tepig, ehh, very obscure, I wouldn't have thought many kids would know what tepid means.
Oshawott, it's okay I guess. I'll get used to it, obviously, but Mijumaru was such a cute name, whereas Oshawott is more quirky. I'll nickname him something, so it wont matter too much ^_^

So Snake + Ivy, Tepid + Pig, and... Ocean + Shell + Otter?

Lol same here. Anyone else find it funny the the past four region names were barely changed from their Japanese forms(or stayed the same in Kanto's case) because they were sort of difficult to pronounce in English. Yet we have a region name that can be pronounced pretty easily in English and it is the first name to become completely changed. I don't have a problem with it I just find it funny.

Oshakpop

Eeveelution Master
I'm actually loving Snivy now, just for the name, Oshawatt still love... but... TePig? Seriously? Eh it will grow on me..

nikohesus

Banned
I came here to bathe in the hate, and I'm having a pretty good bath.

Snivy- Great, I can't think of anything better

Tepig- I thought of this as tapir+tepid+pig, the tepid part indicating that it is lukewarm as a first evolution but will grow hotter, perhaps a hint towards the other names?

Oshawott- Wow, definitely creative. Much better than anything else I could have though of.

Unova- I though of this as UNiversal, but as an above poster said it could be UNOva being as it is the Kanto of this generation. I prefer to pronounce it You-nova.

I don't mind these names at all, at least I know that they're still updating.

HATERS GONNA HATE.

LimeStar

I'm pretty sure it's Unova, pronounced Oo-Nova, because Isshu, comes from Isshurai, meaning One Variety.
Uno is Spanish and Italian for One, and Va is short for Variety, therefore, Uno+Va=
Unova :D

Misty Lover17

Water Trainer
Well, the new names are really great, though Tepig is meh.

I do think that Oshawott is surprising, plus everyone will talk a lot about this name, so I'm happy with this.

Grei

not the color
Tepid, meaning lukewarm, and pig.

Ocean + water + otter is my best guess.

Ah, ok then. That makes sense... I think I like Oshawott the least, though.
Which matters little to me. It'll be nicknamed Blue and will be evolving to Futachimaru or Daikenki regardless, so these names aren't too big of a deal.

As for Unova... I hope it's "Yoo-NO-vah" and not "Ooh-NO-vah." Pronouncing it like the latter is a bit more awkward than the former pronunciation. Plus, the former sounds closer to the word "universal."

Dr. Leggs

Astral Cowboy
I love Snivy for the fitting of lots of different words into one (Snake/Snide/Snivel + Ivy). Perfectly fine with it.

Tepig sure is an interesting one, and one that fits well, so I'm cool with it too. So much better than "Pignite". Even if the pun doesn't carry over.

Oshawott... Not sure what to think yet. I feel like it's not an easy Pokemon to come up with a great name for, but Oshawott is both not at all what I was thinking and not a terrible name. I think I'll warm up to it soon.

Unova is (according to PokeBeach) likely a combination of the Latin words Unum and Nova, meaning 'One New'. While very different from Isshu, I think the name fits the region perfectly. Not to mention, as the region is based off of America, it makes sense for them to change it to a much more Western-sounding name.

You're doing fine by me so far, NoA. Keep up the good work. ^_^

Last edited:

Mr. Joker

keep calm & carry on
It will take me a while to get used to the nicknames, I think I am going to keep my nicknames anyway. Emblit, Smugleaf, and Wotter, haha.

halloweenghost

I hope it's Yuu-nova too....but tbh regardless that's how I'll pronounce it.

Un-ova is just going to make me think of the Uno board game.

Maybe they changed Isshu cause they thought we'd start mixing up the word Issue with Isshu? Isshu isn't a hard word to say at all so it can't be that.
it is more liekly Uno sounding since uno is one and Unova Region (Latin words "Unum" + "Nova," which mean "One New")

Grei

not the color
My God, Pokebeach is, like, the exact opposite of here. Most of the people here are more on the positive side, while everyone over there is complaining. -_-;

The only thing I can really complain about is how they changed Reshiram to the Vast White Pokemon and Zekrom to the Deep Black Pokemon. Their concept was Yin and Yang, and that's not a foreign concept to Americans. Why they were changed is beyond me.

... unless it was to avoid people possibly thinking Zekrom was a "bad guy" or something, since we tend to think of Yin and Yang as Good and Evil over here in the states... hmm...

Sponge

I think my favourite starter name is Oshawott, mostly because it's a bit out there and probably the biggest surprise of all.

It's a good thing I'm picking Oshawott then. :p

I like Snivy too, it's a good name.

Crystal_Power

The Champion!
LOL, I doubt it.

Probabl just sounding like issue. Unova is cooler :p

Yea I know Isshu sounded like Issue.
But Hoenn sound like Ho-- well you know. >__>

I don't get why they changed it.
At this rate I won't be surprised if they name Iris Shaniqua....

Last edited:

garfield15

Digi/Pokemon lover
Oshawott... Not sure what to think yet. I feel like it's not an easy Pokemon to come up with a great name for, but Oshawott is both not at all what I was thinking and not a terrible name. I think I'll warm up to it soon.
Meh. I was good with "Wotter." Now I'm wondering what his later Stage names are. (Oshareck? Oshellperor?)

Some have speculated that Unova is an anagram of United States OF America due to Isshu's location. I think that's a little too coincidental but not that crazy.

Last edited:

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
I like Mijumaru's German name better. Ottaro. I think I'll stick with Mijumaru, easier to say and type plus it sounds cuter. Snivy works, I'll use both that name and Smugleaf. Tepig is odd but sounds alright so I'll use that name.

realarcastform

Rotom Trainer
My Tsutaja became Snivy ok that's interesting.
But the starter I'm choosing in my English version is Tepig?
Ok..
Oshawott is Ash's first starter.. How odd. But he is a peculiar water type so it can work.
They have a piece of "wotter" in there so some will be pleased.

R_N

Snivy is cool. It was one of the more popular real names floating about, iirc. It's also the same pun as in Japanese, so that's neat.

Tepig is fantastic, I'm surprised no one thought of it.

Oshawott is...interesting. I don't hate it, but it's kind of weird, huh? Osha being a corruption of ocean would make sense. And ott for otter. But OshaWOTT makes me think of electricity. Eh still a neat name

I'm surprised the dragons didn't keep the Black Yin and White Yang but that's fine with me because VAST WHITE and DEEP BLACK are cool and absolutely no one cares about the classifications of anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.