• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharpedoSteve

Sink/Swim
Yay, seems like i got the region name meaning right without looking at Pokebeach XD

right on to the starter names...
Snivy: I like it :D fit's it well and it's easy to remember.
Tepig: Wasn't sure at first tbh, but now i would say i really really like it (best starter name imo) still wont use the lil dude though... don't like his evo's.
Oshawott: I like it, but it's a bit hard to remember lol i have to keep looking to make sure what i'm writing is correct... won't take long to get used to it though :)

So basically.... YAY for new names!

GolemGuy

Better Than Thou
These names are absolutely horrible except for Oshawatt.

There is absolutely nothing else to say on this matter, other than I am nicknaming my Tsutarja SMUGLEAF.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Snivy works pretty great since I still think about it being "smug". Tepig is just...I don't know, sort of out there. Oshawott looks to be the oddest name for a Pokemon so far and I've no idea what it's based on except the last part. I think I'll keep calling the Isshu Unova Region Starters by their Japanese names until next year.

Jagged

I don't get why they changed it.
At this rate I won't be surprised if they name Iris Shaniqua....

LOL, Shaniqua :p But let's hope they don't do anything like that. The names, IMO, are alright and already I'm hearing flamers going off about "OMG these names are so stoopid. I'm gonna boycot B/W because of this nao!!1!1"

yeminied

So now we have them.

I can't say I'm upset with the names but they are nothing to write home about.

Oshawott is an interesting one but I think it comes from Shore, referencing the ocean. That's the best I can come up with.

Tepig is by no means great but they could have done a lot worse.

Snivy, I'm not sure if I like it or hate it, we'll see. I just don't see Tsutarja saying it in the animé.

Unova is a surprise but not bad in my opinion.

Overall I'm happy with the four new names. They aren't the best, I will admit that, but they aren't bad names. Good enough for the poster boys for Gen V

Crystal_Power

The Champion!
LOL, Shaniqua :p But let's hope they don't do anything like that. The names, IMO, are alright and already I'm hearing flamers going off about "OMG these names are so stoopid. I'm gonna boycot B/W because of this nao!!1!1"

I actually find the starter names okay. :)
Its just Unova, it was like a tradition that was broken.

Maybe I just need to get used to it. I wouldn't boycott the game though lol.

Raikou_fan

I kind of have mixed feelings about all the new names..

Snivy: Not bad, but not good either. It'll probably grow on me later, but as of right now I liked Smugleaf better. I'm kinda anxious to see what its evos will be..

Tepig: This a awful. Absolutely awful. I all ready disliked this line for ending in another fire/fighting starter, but atleast the names were good before.... It's cute, and to me Tepig sounds like something kinda ugly. I may come to accept it later on, but I don't think I'll ever like it. Hopefully its evos are better, but if not I'll never use one without a good nickname..

Oshawott: I actually love this. It's creative, and to me it's fitting. It'll take me some time to remember how to spell it, but that's OK. I'm really excited to see what its evos will be called.

Unova: Not what I expected. I'm not entirely sure what I think of it. I guess I probly just got too used to Isshu. I think it'll probly grow on me the more I see it..

Crystal Power said:
At this rate I won't be surprised if they name Iris Shaniqua....
LOL

Last edited:

Vernikova

Champion
I'm not bothered by the names in a single way. For the most part, I'm trying to get the pronunciation down but that doesn't seem too difficult other than Oshawott. The region's name doesn't bother me at all either. The official names are certainly leagues better than all of those fan names that have been going around like "Smugleaf" or "Wotter" though so I'm not complaining.

R_N

WAIT

OH

MY

GOD

THEY CHANGED IT UNOVA

this is the happiest I've ever been over a name change ;-;

halloweenghost

I'm not bothered by the names in a single way. For the most part, I'm trying to get the pronunciation down but that doesn't seem too difficult other than Oshawott. The region's name doesn't bother me at all either. The official names are certainly leagues better than all of those fan names that have been going around like "Smugleaf" or "Wotter" though so I'm not complaining.

I agree with you so much :)

Jagged

How do you think SNIVY will be pronounced in the anime? Like sniv-ee, or snivy like how you would say IVY but with sn at the front?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I didn't even know what tepid meant until recently, so I would have never come up with it lol. Tepid apparently means only slightly warm or lukewarm. Tepig is a better English name for Pokabu than say, Lukepig, so I can't complain much even if it is a little out there. It almost seems like the translators tried to come up with names that nobody would ever guess. Well, anything is better that Pignite really.

Luxrayess

Sound(?) asleep...
Funny thing is, Snivy was one of my own predictions for Tsutarja's English name. Made a week or two ago.

:D

Tepig... I guess that's okay. It'll take awhile before it grows on me, though.

Oshawott?
...Hee, hee, hee! I sense an internet meme comming on. XD

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I think the reason why they came up with Oshawott is because Mijumaru's name is so long they need it for the dub. I have to admit, it's nice to get a starter whose name is more than two syllables again

redroses

I really like the names, especially Snivy sounds very nice. Oshawott is very interesting and unique. Tepig, although nice, is going to take me some time getting used to, as sadly there is a german word "Teppich" that sounds VERY similiar to that and means rug. I have to automatically think of that XD

Eivui

Uses of Psychics
My opinions:

Snivy: I like this, and it seems fitting for such a smug pokemon. It sounds appropriate.

Tepig: I'm not a huge fan of this name, but I don't hate it. I like the idea that someone mentioned, that it starts of lukewarm and becomess hotter as it evolves.

Oshawott: This is a neat name. I didn't expect it at all, but like someone else said, it definitely seems to be based off of ocean+shell+water/otter.

Unova: I don't really know what to say about this. It's alright, nothing exceptional, nothing terrible. I think that Issu was a pretty good name, regardless of its base.

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Wow, so they finally updated!

Snivy is good. Snake and ivy, plus it sounds like snide. I still hope it keeps the nickname Smugleaf though among the fanbase.

Tepig.... eh. I knew as soon as I saw the name it was tepid and pig. Kinda meh, but it could be worse.

Oshawott is.... unique. Definately not what I was expecting. It's not a bad name, but I have no idea were they came up with that.

I don't like the name Unova. Reminds me of Oblivia for some reason. If you ask me, they should've stuck with Isshu. It sounds much...

BETTERU

Status
Not open for further replies.