• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyndaquilRules

It just depends on how you, uh, romanize it I think. Desukan, Deathkan, Deathkarn, it's all the same thing.

Hmm, ok. Well I use Serebii's namings so it's Desukan it is.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Hmm, ok. Well I use Serebii's namings so it's Desukan it is.

I don't know if Serebii's romanizations are all that accurate to be honest. I mean, he had Caitlin's Japanese name romanized as "Katorena" or something similar when it's actually Cattleya. It definitely had an "n" in it for some reason. I'll just use Desukan for now, not because I think it's 100% accurate, but because taking the time to learn the other romanizations could take me weeks, seriously. I still find the Pokemon to be rather unsettling though. I think they should have given it the Rock-type at least, to match with the sarcophagus-theme :/

Rerbren

Traveling Trainer
Even Serebii called it Embouu in the beginning, but he later changed it on the site. Same thing for Wooguru/Wargle.

Glue

Snorunt = cool ^o^
528.png
I like Koromori more... I was disappointed with its evolution

Dr. Leggs

Astral Cowboy
Yeah, some of Serebii's romanizations can be a bit faulty. I usually rely on Bangiras from Pokebeach for them. I also just like the sound of 'Deathkan' more.

Slowemperor

Villain in training
Deathkan/Desukan is one of my favorite pokemon ever (I just love acient egypt). But I was too somewhat dissapointed on his typing. I mean ghost/rock or even better ghost/steel (he eats gold and is made of solid gol afterall) would have been awsome.
Deathmas is far from being as cool as his evo but it's nice too. Although it feels strange to capture a human soul.

Isis-sama

Deathkan/Desukan is one of my favorite pokemon ever (I just love acient egypt). But I was too somewhat dissapointed on his typing. I mean ghost/rock or even better ghost/steel (he eats gold and is made of solid gol afterall) would have been awsome.
Deathmas is far from being as cool as his evo but it's nice too. Although it feels strange to capture a human soul.

Well, it makes sense though, since a sarcophagus is in essence a coffin. Though I don't know about Ghost/Steel, gold isn't steel after all. Ghost/Rock would probably work, though.

I prefer Desukan to Deathkan, simply because of the way it sounds. Deathkan may be more accurate, I don't care. I can't tell you how much I love the name Deathmas however, if only because it's basically the name of a holiday themed episode of Metalocalypse.

Johto King

2nd gen all the way!
When will the dream world site be up? And does serebii know where you'll be able to catch these pokemon once they are found on the dream world?

Linkdarkside

On that note, I'm guessing "Diaper Pokemon" will be changed to "Eggshell Pokemon" or something similar.

As for it's evolved form, Vultina, "Bone Eagle" sounds just plain cool. Hope that classification doesn't get re-translated for American audiences.
i hope they do change Diaper to Eggshell and for Vultina, i think Bone Vulture would be better as she is a vulture.

Johto King

2nd gen all the way!
They can be caught in a forrest north of the high link.

That's great to know! Thank you. Do you know when the site will be up for dream world? And is the dream world exclusive to only 5th gens?

Sabonea_Masukippa

I'll just use Desukan for now, not because I think it's 100% accurate, but because taking the time to learn the other romanizations could take me weeks, seriously.

If you wanted to be 100% accurate to the Japanese orthography you'd need to call it Desukaan.

Yeah, some of Serebii's romanizations can be a bit faulty. I usually rely on Bangiras from Pokebeach for them. I also just like the sound of 'Deathkan' more.

It still has a long 'a' it either needs to be spelt Desukaan, Desukarn or Desukahn to represent it.

And some of Pokebeach's romanizations are lolz. They call Miruhoggu "Meerhog" and Gochimu "Gothemme" and Gochimiru "Gothimelle" which are half right and half made up arbitrarily loosely based on the original sounds. And Gearl? It's spelt "giaru" in Japanese. I'm not quite sure where they got the extra L from.

My point is not to have a go at Pokebeach/Bangiras, but there are just as many errors/typos as Serebii's page and you shouldn't be relying on any one site atm.

i hope they do change Diaper to Eggshell and for Vultina, i think Bone Vulture would be better as she is a vulture.

One of the more common names for vulture's in Japanese is "hagewashi" which literally translates as "bald eagle". It is possible that "Bone eagle" ("honewashi" in Japanese) is a pun, which would justify a change to "Bone Vulture" in English. I translated it as Eagle though, because it's an accurate representation of what was actually in the code, if I were doing it professionally I would ask the creators which they prefer. (For instance the creators may consider Vultina/Wargle to be the m/f of a single "eagle" species and request it to be translated as such)

Last edited:

Dr. Leggs

Astral Cowboy
If you wanted to be 100% accurate to the Japanese orthography you'd need to call it Desukaan.

It still has a long 'a' it either needs to be spelt Desukaan, Desukarn or Desukahn to represent it.

And some of Pokebeach's romanizations are lolz. They call Miruhoggu "Meerhog" and Gochimu "Gothemme" and Gochimiru "Gothimelle" which are half right and half made up arbitrarily loosely based on the original sounds. And Gearl? It's spelt "giaru" in Japanese. I'm not quite sure where they got the extra L from.

My point is not to have a go at Pokebeach/Bangiras, but there are just as many errors/typos as Serebii's page and you shouldn't be relying on any one site atm.

Ahh, you're right (you would know XD). I kinda went with PokeBeach because Serebii didn't have too many romanizations to begin with... But yeah, fair enough. "Gearl" was really weird, I agree. Meerhog makes sense to me, though. Meerkat + groundhog? It seems plausible. Of course, I know nothing of Japanese. :p

Sabonea_Masukippa

Ahh, you're right (you would know XD). I kinda went with PokeBeach because Serebii didn't have too many romanizations to begin with... But yeah, fair enough. "Gearl" was really weird, I agree. Meerhog makes sense to me, though. Meerkat + groundhog? It seems plausible. Of course, I know nothing of Japanese. :p

Well, sure Miruhog might be based off a meerkat/groundhog combination and the name might be a high-level pun on that but meerkat in Japanese is ミーアキャット or Miiakyatto, while Miruhog is ミルホッグ or Miruhog, so I don't find it likely, personally.

The "miru" is the name is likely derived from the word for "see/look/watch" in Japanese, a reference to the guarding/lookout tendencies of the line. (Also where the "mi" from Minezumi comes from - literally the "look-mouse")

Dr. Leggs

Astral Cowboy
Well, sure Miruhog might be based off a meerkat/groundhog combination and the name might be a high-level pun on that but meerkat in Japanese is ミーアキャット or Miiakyatto, while Miruhog is ミルホッグ or Miruhog, so I don't find it likely, personally.

The "miru" is the name is likely derived from the word for "see/look/watch" in Japanese, a reference to the guarding/lookout tendencies of the line. (Also where the "mi" from Minezumi comes from - literally the "look-mouse")

Ahh, okay! That makes sense. Thank yah, SM.

Status
Not open for further replies.