• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobalt_Latios

At least the Nintendo [power] guides have been getting better. I remember the Platinum guide was a giant brick.
That thing is amazing. It covers everything. The only thing it's missing is trainer battles and maps that show where the trainers are. DP's guide had that, not sure why Platinum didn't.

I think the best guide makers were Versus. I loved their GS guide (2nd edition, anyway, the 1st sucked?) and their Sonic Adventure 2/Sonic Advance guide was neato. Too bad they went under. They gave rundowns of everything findable on that route, full maps of them, trainer rosters (even sprites and money pay out!), the Pokemon you could find on any given route in percentages, and every Pokemon got a little blurb about its potential usefulness at that and future parts of the game. The back section before the dex even went into detail about a number of various features like Happiness, evolutions, tips for catching the dogs, etc. And the dex at the end didn't have the dumb stat pentagram and listed out the base stats instead.

Niiiifty
That's crazy! Imagine what they could do with stuff like DPPt and HGSS if they were still around. Those guides would be beast!

C_L

R_N

I remember being super disappointed that I could never find a RS guide by them

And then I found out they went under, apparently, and : ( ensued

Isis-sama

I loved the Versus guide for the original Gold and Silver, and I still have it.

Now the guides for some of the other games they covered I was less than perfectly satisfied with, but that's a topic for another thread.

CyndaquilRules

Not that this is related to anything currently being discussed, but I made this GIF in response to someone online earlier today.

I need to edit it a little, as I forgot to shade Chobomaki and to draw the belly on Kaburumo in the last part, as well as didn't get to make it so the text at the end stays there for a long enough time (though this was because Photoshop crashed in the process of making it).

http://i51.*******.com/2cxgv1w.gif

The inspiration was that someone wanted a picture of Kaburumo trying to use Ishizumai's shell to evolve. I took it a step further and made a terrible animated gif of the event occurring and then Chobomaki being like "what? No"

Can't believe people aren't commenting on this, but it's amazing!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Can't believe people aren't commenting on this, but it's amazing!

Oh! I hadn't even noticed that cool animated GIF since most of the other posts were all about the game guidebooks and stuff haha. I love it! It's funny and cute at the same time. I did wonder what would have happened if Kaburumo tried to steal Ishizumai's shell rather than Chobomaki's. I thought maybe the anime would showcase it or something but this animated GIF is funnier than anything that the anime could come up with. Ishizumai's shell on Kaburumo's head, seriously awesome.

Also, what happened to the Ishizumai when the shell was removed, Clay Psyduck? :)

Last edited:

Corroded Arceus

Shiny Hunter
(I said this somewhere else in this forum, but Ill say it again)
Honestly, I like the design of the trash bags, but they make me SO UNCOMFORTABLE!!!! I don't quite know where this completely irrational phobia came from, but I am so ridiculously afraid of mold.
When I first read that there was a "trash bag" pokemon, I kind of winced and felt reserved and grossed out by it. But after I first saw the trash bag...I really feel so uncomfortable by it. I can handle the tiny one, but it's the big one that just creeps me out. I keep thinking about trash that's been sitting there and growing enough mold to come alive. I just grossed myself out and need to go wash my hands.

I don't think that it's grown enough mold to come to life, more along the lines that some sort of radiation caused it to become alive, like Grimer. I have a mold phobia too, I can't look at the stuff without feeling sick to my stomach, but I think of trash heap dude like that and I like him as a result :)

Royalty

If the Crown Fits...
I don't think that it's grown enough mold to come to life, more along the lines that some sort of radiation caused it to become alive, like Grimer. I have a mold phobia too, I can't look at the stuff without feeling sick to my stomach, but I think of trash heap dude like that and I like him as a result :)

Hahaha! I like that one better. Now I can stomach seeing it if I think like that. But...then it's still trash. Eew. Gross. ;)

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
The Versus guides were very nice. The ones Prima have been releasing for the 4th generation have been very nice quality too. It's just...FireRed/LeafGreen was the anomaly. Here's a comparison of what they have:

Prima FireRed/LeafGreen Guide:
Introduction
How to use this book
Pokémon types
Type chart (no other context)
Where to find Pokémon (grass, fishing, surfing, evolution)
How Pokémon evolve (trading, stones)
(back of guide)
TMs
HMs
Berries
Advertisements

Prima Ruby/Sapphire Guide
Introduction
How to use this book
What's different in Generation III
Battle menu
Types of targeting in double battles
Status conditions
Type chart and how they work
Other ways to increase damage (STAB, critical hits, items, weather)
Physical vs. Special
TMs and HMs that can be used in the overworld
Natures and a Nature chart
Where to find Pokémon (grass, surfing, fishing, diving, Rock Smash, swarms, breeding)
Types of Poké Balls
How Pokémon evolve (level-up, preventing level-up evolution, stones, trading, Happiness, special cases--Wurmple, Feebas, Shedinja)
Breeding (passing down Egg Moves, passing down IVs, what will hatch, Egg Groups, Egg Group chart, hatching Eggs)
(back of guide)
Move chart for battle (name, type, base power, accuracy, PP, range in double battles, contact or not, TM/HM if any, additional effects)
TMs and HMs
Move chart for Contests (name, type, appeal points, counter points, additional effects)
Contest combos
Item chart for those that get used up
Berry chart
Hold Item chart
Key Item chart
Mail chart
Poké Ball chart
Secret Base Decorations
Wild Pokémon with Hold Items

I've seen the 4th generation guides too, and they get into stuff like EV-training and more tips, largely those introduced in that generation. I relaly hope Elizabeth Hollinger continues to write Pokémon guides, because it's pretty clear she genuinely enjoys Pokémon, knows a considerable amount of it, and can explain it in a way anyone can understand.

I say this because the 5th generation, while it hasn't been any less beginner-friendly than before, has introduced so many new abilities and the new moves are generally for experts only, so if Prima makes a guide for Black/White she should do it.

By the way, the Prima guides ARE the official guides--starting with Diamond/Pearl, Nintendo now commissions Prima to write guides instead of Nintendo Power. I don't know if Hollinger continues to write them though. Can anyone check?

BCVM22

I have both volumes of the "official" HG/SS guide in front of me here and they aren't Prima publications. The publishing is credited to TPCI themselves. I don't thnk they themselves literally published the guides, but the point was that they weren't Prima jobs.

You aren't strictly wrong - Nintendo has simply started stamping the Prima guides as official for Mario, Zelda and the rest - but I imagine The Pokémon Company exists both domestically and internationally largely for purposes just like this.

Royalty

If the Crown Fits...
Honestly, I don't quite know why people buy the guides when they are able to find a lot of stuff online. If I ever have a question because I am just lost or want to find something, I just use Serebii or type it in the Google search bar like a question. Or, if I'm in a store and happen to remember, they are never wrapped in plastic.

Corroded Arceus

Shiny Hunter
Honestly, I don't quite know why people buy the guides when they are able to find a lot of stuff online. If I ever have a question because I am just lost or want to find something, I just use Serebii or type it in the Google search bar like a question. Or, if I'm in a store and happen to remember, they are never wrapped in plastic.

Sometimes it's more convenient to have the information in book form then go to the trouble of switching the computer on, waiting for it to load, etc. I also take my guides on holidays where I won't have computer access in case I get stuck.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

Exposure to radiation created Pokemon like Grimer and now, Pokemon like Yabakuron and Dasutodasu? Could be. I always assumed that Pokemon like Yabakuron and Dasutodasu were just normal Pokemon that took on the shape of a garbage bag for the sake of protection, similar to camouflage. I didn't think they were actually just bags of muck that were created from radiation being introduced to the plastic bags. Interesting.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I do the same thing, which is why I even have these guides in the first place. (Well, the Ruby/Sapphire one I referenced came with my FireRed version, so I have two of them.) Sometimes, I want to know when some certain Pokémon learns a move, so I open up the guide and look it up. Way faster if I can't easily access my computer or if it's turned off.

So Nintendo actually publishes the Pokémon guides itself? I saw Prima's Pokémon guides calling itself official, so I thought that was what happened. The only SSBB guide there is is from Prima and is official though...and almost as inaccurate as the FireRed/LeafGreen guide. (An aside here: I think that guide was responsible for all those Pikachus spamming Thunder. The guide actually tells people to do it.)

BCVM22

Not Nintendo (anymore); The Pokémon Company [International]. That's why a licensing arm exists for the franchise exists in the first place, so that the countless products with the Pokémon name on them can be either produced directly or at least overseen by one centralized body connected to the franchise.

Tyrannotaur

Tyranitar Trainer
Hey everyone. I searched for this but can't seem to find it. Have we discovered a place for Mageton, and Nosepass to evolve? What about Eevee into Glaceon or Leafeon? I know you can get any pokemon from Dream World. I also understand they changed how Feebas evolves, but have they made a spot/new way for the location evolutions?

Sorry if this is the wrong place. Would have posted it in the help thread, but I don't own the games and its not really a help request. I'm just curious. Would be lame to have to have 4th gen exclusive evolutions. Though I'm sure if there isn't a way to do so in the first games of gen 5, future installments will have a way. Thanks for any help.

-;248;

Tyrannotaur

Tyranitar Trainer

R_N

Exposure to radiation created Pokemon like Grimer and now, Pokemon like Yabakuron and Dasutodasu? Could be. I always assumed that Pokemon like Yabakuron and Dasutodasu were just normal Pokemon that took on the shape of a garbage bag for the sake of protection, similar to camouflage. I didn't think they were actually just bags of muck that were created from radiation being introduced to the plastic bags. Interesting.

Actually, Yabakuron is literally a garbage bag that came to life after a chemical change.

Status
Not open for further replies.