• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyndaquilRules

I did the translations and yeah, it's that Riguray first appeared 50 years ago, coming from the other side of the desert (reference to the Roswell Incident). I believe that the Pokebeach ones just have a typo, that's all.

Also, there was an interesting interview with the story writer for BW on the GF staff blog the other day. Once I get more time (probably from tomorrow) I'll go through and do a nice translation.

Ah, thankyou very much. I wish I could read japanese.

R_N

psh story writers

Now an interview with the art director, or art staff
that would be great

Aether13

psh story writers

that would be great

I agree IMO the storyline writers for pokemon don't have nearly as big of a job as the art director does.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I agree IMO the storyline writers for pokemon don't have nearly as big of a job as the art director does.

The art directors are pretty important I suppose. They're the ones who design the Pokemon that appear in the games, which in my book, is the most important aspect of the games. They've given us some nice Pokemon this Generation like Tsutarja, Mijumaru, Koromori, Zorua, and Meloetta (which are just some of my favorites). I do think that the storyline writers are important as well though. They've given us one of the best storylines in these games; I just can't overlook that completely.

R_N

I.... really don't see what's so great about BW's storyline. Yeah it's slightly more involved then 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. But it's not ~amazing~ from what I've seen

edit: Like it seems about on par with DPt's, honestly.

Aether13

The art directors are pretty important I suppose. They're the ones who design the Pokemon that appear in the games, which in my book, is the most important aspect of the games. They've given us some nice Pokemon this Generation like Tsutarja, Mijumaru, Koromori, Zorua, and Meloetta (which are just some of my favorites). I do think that the storyline writers are important as well though. They've given us one of the best storylines in these games; I just can't overlook that completely.

Right, i agree the storyline is alot better in this game then in past, but still I think you should give the art directors more credit seeing as they have made almost 650 pokemon.

Sabonea_Masukippa

psh story writers

that would be great

well, the blog's doing a series of interviews with various behind the scenes staff so they might get to someone like that eventually. And you can bet I will be all over it.

Besides the story guy is the one who's been doing it since GS days and so he provides a little bit of background into how GF works behind the scenes etc which is always interesting.

I.... really don't see what's so great about BW's storyline. Yeah it's slightly more involved then 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. But it's not ~amazing~ from what I've seen

edit: Like it seems about on par with DPt's, honestly.

It's not amazing when compared to some games, but for a Pokemon game it's pretty good. It's definitely better than DP's. Like...I don't know, for me it's the way Cheren and Belle go through identity crisis's or the way Kamitsure comes in and rips Belle's father a new one, or even just the way Cheren taps his foot when waiting for Belle in the first 30 seconds of the game. The tiny moments like those make it seem like (at least by Pokemon standards) the story is talking place involving "real" people, or at least real characters. The whole thing just has a warm tomato soup and hot apple pie for desert feeling to it.

Snegy

Doctor WHO?
I really agree about the story. It sure is the best of any pokémon game prior to this. Not only the rivals; it's amazing how Team Plasma is involved... Also, their music. All of the new music is actually the best EVER in a pokémon game. TP's reminds me of something really RPG-ish.

The gym leaders' appearences, Cynthia's return... So many nice touches and a really, really good plot, indeed. And so many things to do after the elite. They really outdid themselves this time!

But nothing's perfect, of course. Despite the fabulous happenings, region and Pokémon, I feel like that was too little of new things... As in, mechanics and stuff. It doesn't kill the experience at all, but it is a kinda of a let down for me. I feel like there should be more new moves, abilities, type combinations... And, of course, some changes. Breeding, types, experiences, weather, EVs, IVs, natures, etc., etc. No, I can't think of anything to improve them, but I hoped so much they would have done so. And, plus, added new details.

Yeah, yeah, gotta wait for the next one!

Still, I'm very satisfied and I hope playing the english versions be as much as fun. And, please, 'Grey' version, revolutionate!

On topic, I'm betting Kyuremu will have a different form. Something really different, that makes its stats equal to Reshiram's and Zekrom's and involving the moves obviously learnt by itself. Also, it looks awesome, but kinda incomplete. Can't wait for its official art so I can actually judge it!

Last edited:

stenli

Flabebes
i think Kojondo is the best fighting pokemon ever :p it doesnt have those scary muscle nor masculine look.
Pick one with Regeneration, teach it U-Turn (GF even set it as levelup move :p), with 105 base speed it ll outspeed anything most of the time. set a wall behind and this weasel gonna heal itself :D

R_N

well, the blog's doing a series of interviews with various behind the scenes staff so they might get to someone like that eventually. And you can bet I will be all over it.

Besides the story guy is the one who's been doing it since GS days and so he provides a little bit of background into how GF works behind the scenes etc which is always interesting.
OMG
this is the second best thing to a Pokemon Art Book.

It's not amazing when compared to some games, but for a Pokemon game it's pretty good. It's definitely better than DP's. Like...I don't know, for me it's the way Cheren and Belle go through identity crisis's or the way Kamitsure comes in and rips Belle's father a new one, or even just the way Cheren taps his foot when waiting for Belle in the first 30 seconds of the game. The tiny moments like those make it seem like (at least by Pokemon standards) the story is talking place involving "real" people, or at least real characters. The whole thing just has a warm tomato soup and hot apple pie for desert feeling to it.
Ohhhh
I thought it meant, specifically, the Plasma plot. It's the first thing I think of with "story".
But yes Cheren & Belle's character development is nice, isn't it? Nice to see they made up for the horrible that was Brenden/May & Wally.

Sabonea_Masukippa

On topic, I'm betting Kyuremu will have a different form. Something really different, that makes its stats equal to Reshiram's and Zekrom's and involving the moves obviously learnt by itself. Also, it looks awesome, but kinda incomplete. Can't wait for its official art so I can actually judge it!

I think Kyurem may actually be in for two forms (if you look at the two unique attacks that it learns) in the third game, and judging from its dex entries which say that it's frozen itself, it might be the 'unfrozen' forme or something like that.

Cobalt_Latios

Wow, now I'm real psyched to pick this up, come Spring '11. Also, little moments like what you've just mentioned, are also things that I tend to enjoy for no apparent reason. Humorous little things that occur for the sake of occurring, I like that.

C_L

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I think Kyurem may actually be in for two forms (if you look at the two unique attacks that it learns) in the third game, and judging from its dex entries which say that it's frozen itself, it might be the 'unfrozen' forme or something like that.

If seen people speculating on it having another form. An unfrozen form seems interesting though, since you're probably the first to bring up it's Dex entry. I can see it having a form similar to that; a "defrosted" dragon form. I would think that it would look less beat-up in it's "true" form, so maybe it'll look more similar to Reshiram and Zekrom when all is said and done. In it's current form, it just looks messed up.

Sabonea_Masukippa

Wow, now I'm real psyched to pick this up, come Spring '11. Also, little moments like what you've just mentioned, are also things that I tend to enjoy for no apparent reason. Humorous little things that occur for the sake of occurring, I like that.

C_L

Indeed. I don't want to spoil it but the first time you meet Adeku:

He makes you double battle two little children with Harderia's with Cheren because he wants you to understand, that while you and Cheren (especially Cheren) are just trying to get stronger, these to kids are just happy being with their Pokemon at the festival and they don't really mind loosing. And, I dunno, the way he said it was just really nice.

If seen people speculating on it having another form. An unfrozen form seems interesting though, since you're probably the first to bring up it's Dex entry. I can see it having a form similar to that; a "defrosted" dragon form. I would think that it would look less beat-up in it's "true" form, so maybe it'll look more similar to Reshiram and Zekrom when all is said and done. In it's current form, it just looks messed
up.

Yeah, there's something about it that makes me think there's something special about what it's role is going to be in the 3rd game. Certainly it's other forme will have to make it look more "complete" in a sense, I suppose.

R_N

I still like the theory that Kyurem was the original Pokemon before Reshiram & Zekrom split off of it.

The frozen thing even reminded me: Electricity & Fire both produce heat. Before the split, he could have had some slight internal fire/electric "engines" that balanced out his icey temperature. When the split happens...well you can see where I'm going with this.

I've never been this interested in a legend's backstory before. So many possibilities!

KuroiMawile

I fully support that theory.

And to change Gigigears

Why does it seem there are so few poison types? There are plenty of types yet tried:

/electric
/psychic
/steel
/fire
/ice
/dragon
(not counting normal)
/rock

not to mention there's a legendary for just about every type but poison.

Last edited:

Royalty

If the Crown Fits...
I fully support that theory.

And to change Gigigears

Why does it seem there are so few poison types? There are plenty of types yet tried:

/electric
/psychic
/steel
/fire
/ice
/dragon
(not counting normal)
/rock

not to mention there's a legendary for just about every type but poison.

I think that a Poison/Dragon would be wicked cool!! <3 I'm also surprised that there's not a Poison/Psychic that has a "Poison your mind" themed dex entry.

Change of subject.

So...I've been trying to skim through the posts and mentally block out anything that gives away the storyline and the second I see "plot twist" I scroll down SO FAST!! But, what is the general consensus about the plot line for this game. (Preferably coming from the people that have played/are playing the games) Is it more in depth? Involved? Longer? The Best? Second Best? 3rd, 4th, or 5th? (PLEASE no reasons why that give away details)

Last edited:

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I decided to look into Poison's type compatibility, and wow, it's the type with the 2nd least amount of combinations, to Normal (which combines with 6 out of 17 types). All other types combine with at least 11 types, including itself. (Dragon, Ice, and Electric each have exactly 11 type combinations; Fire and Fighting are the next ones up with 12 each.)

I initially was going to throw the Electric, Fire, and Dragon types as types with fewer combinations, but I was wrong. The 5th generation really gave all of these types a boost (Rotom was a huge contributor to the Electric-type's diversity). The Poison-type was stuck in the mud with only three fully-evolved Pokémon: Pendra, Dasutodas, and Morobareru.

It's actually not that exciting, but it gives some nice insights into the way GF works behind the scenes :p

And here's Riguray's Dex:

50年前に 砂漠の 彼方から 突然 やってきた。その ときまで だれも 見たことが ない ポケモン。

Riguray suddenly came from the far side of the desert 50 years ago. It is a Pokemon that no one had seen until that time.

Oh, I meant the interview with the story writer. I'm always interested in anything from the inside with this sort of thing.

But wow, all those little details, while not important to the plot itself, shows that Game Freak really put a lot of thought into every single part of this game. Particularly that part with Adeku--I can see it being implemented into a Pokémon game, but I never expected it.

Did this same guy also handle Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD? They felt like they had wildly different approaches.

I think that a Poison/Dragon would be wicked cool!! <3 I'm also surprised that there's not a Poison/Psychic that has a "Poison your mind" themed dex entry.

They're obviously holding it off for glorious Atnana, the seven-headed Arbok evo to debut in 6th Gen.

And Poison/Psychic for a Britney Spears legendary pokémon. THE HORROR

Status
Not open for further replies.