• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabonea_Masukippa

Pokabu = pokapoka onomatopoeia for a warm feeling, like body heat + bu from buta "pig". Like Tsutarja, NoA have just translated the name meaning into English. It suits him plenty.

And Smugleaf, I am lead to beleive, partially derives from pot smoking, so (for some strange reason) is a no no in a franchise being localized for American children where even references to Chinese philosophy are censored. And even then, Smugleaf is an awful, awful name.

AmericanPi

Write on
Heehee, even though Snivy's name sucks, I'm still picking it, because its final evo looks AWESOME. Grass Pokemon are cool. <3

Geez, the starter pokemons' names are bad enough. I wonder how bad the names of the awesome bird pokemon (Wargle, Swana, Kenhorou, etc.) will be. :p

Sabonea_Masukippa

Kenhorou's name literally means something like Stampytweet so I'll go with that. -___-

Umbreon9

It's been a while...
Nicknaming

I'm kinda neutral about the new names. They seemed kinda odd at first, but now I know what they mean it's not so bad. It's just a name anyway, so I don't get why it has to be such a big deal. If you don't like the name, just nickname your pokemon something else.
I thought people with logic didn't exist! :O ...Well actually people understand that. I've seen a whole bunch of "These names are terrible! I'm going to nickname my [insert english name here] [insert fan name/original name]!"
:/

ForeverFlame

I have a serious Isshu with all of the English names. Except Snivy, because I totally called that one months ago.

Last edited:

Luxrayess

Sound(?) asleep...
Made this myself. It was sort of the first thing I thought of when Miju's spankin' new English name was revealed:
oshawottcopy.png

Wallaroo42

Knight who says Ni
I might have to nickname my tepig Teh Pig... but I really liked pokabu as a name.

I like the names though. Oshawott has such a cute ring to it, and Snivy really fits- especially when you imagine the way pokemon say their names- I can imagine smugleaf saying that

Umbreon9

It's been a while...
^Did you just say Slivy? :| Well I kind of agree with you on the names, but I don't really care about them. Besides, as long as I can remember them, that's what I'll call them. No matter how bad their names are.

Edit: He fixed it, now it says Snivy.

Last edited:

ForeverFlame

IDGI Tepig. All of the other starters had names relating to being hot - torch, char, and cinder. Tepid means lukewarm. Ummmm?

Snivy is similar to the past starter names. It's pretty decent I guess.

Oshawott is even worse than Lickilicky. I'm definitely nicknaming that *****.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Made this myself. It was sort of the first thing I thought of when Miju's spankin' new English name was revealed:
oshawottcopy.png

That image is super-cute! I really do love Mijumaru but it's English name is raising a view "Unovas" "Isshus" with me. I don't really know what the name "Oshawott" is based off of for starters. I was thinking ocean, Ottawa, shore, wash, but I haven't come up with anything solid. Also, I noticed people messing up the name already, and calling it "Oshawatt". Anyway, I wonder what it will sound like in the anime. Would it say "osha osha" or "wott wott"? The former would sound pretty cute but the latter would sound terrible. Anyway, I'll try and get used to the name.

Last edited:
Because I really hate the name Oshawott, I'm really glad I already came up with a nickname to give it when I get it: Ahab. Oddly, that name is based on the harpoon that his final form has on its forehead, so by the name it really makes sense it will not be Oshawott anymore, but oh well.

LimeStar

22-1952235329L.jpg

I guess I wasn't the only one though :p

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
not sure if anyone has mentioned this, and i could be wrong, but oshawott, sounds in my head to kinda sound like a merger of ocean water and otter. but obviously condensed. and spelled different. so the osh is like the first part of ocean. so its like oce-a-wott

turtwig217

Honestly, I LOVE all these names, people complain too much. I mean get over it that you were wrong. Did you honestly expect them to use Smugleaf? I mean I've used Snivy ever since the name meanings were revealed and I didn't expect it to be used for real, thats just gravy. I really really like Snivy though, it's quick, easy, and fitting. I mean evolution names arent that easy that i can think of, maybe Ivyper for Janovy, i kinda like Prinsnake and Monarconda, because thery aren't directed towards any one gender (prince/princess and monarch is ambiguous) but they seem unlikely from Snivy because they're so long. Actually I would love to hear any suggestions for them.

Tepig i think could've been better but its cute enough and rolls off the tongue. I still haven't really seen it fit the face yet but I'm sure I'll get there. Plus I think it opens up a wide variety of names for evolutions, i.e. Warmhog and Scolboar(yea i don't love this one either but you get my point).

Oshalott, well, honestly, at first I thought, "haha its as bad as Wotter and Aquotter" but now, honestly, I really like it. It's cute, it fits, and its not painfuly obvious what the name comes from. I can't really imagine any evolution names though. I would also like hearing suggestions for those.

I like the Unova region being the name, I hadn't thought about them revealing this too, so it was a pleasant suprise. I did think it was weird how different it was from Isshu (which I really liked), but then I saw they're both short for universal or something so thats cool. I like it either way. Also I think it's funny how they added in the "o" sound that was present in all other region names until Isshu, guess it's not so different after all. Haha also I like to think it's oo-nova, not younova.

I dislike that they changed Reshiram and Zekrom from the Yin and Yang Pokemon. I get that not all kids would understand the reference but I think it works better than Vast White and Deep Black Pokemon. racists. Haha jk, but not really. And thats about it. I was very bored, obviously.

SHIFTER01

you ever just wanna pierce the heavens?
calling it now. Oshawott = Ocean + Water + Otter. bizarre name, but at least its evolutions still have potential.

edit: fffff ninja'd

;136; Dude

TalKeaton

Pokemon Collector!
Snivy: I like it. It doesn't really roll off the tongue but it suits him and I'll get used to it.

Tepig: I like it as well. My one disappointment is that in German he gets the name Floink (flame+oink) which I like a lot better. Probably wasn't kept because it's too close to Spoink, but then again Spoink is Spoink in German, too.

Oshawott: Not bad, but it's a mouthful. I feel like Sean Connery trying to say "Ocelot". Kind of an odd spelling, I hope it is pronounced exactly as it sounds.

Luxrayess

Sound(?) asleep...
That image is super-cute!.

Dawwwwww, thanks! ^.^ I'm actually planning to make it my baffled face icon on these threads for awhile.

I really do love Mijumaru but it's English name is raising a view "Unovas" "Isshus" with me. I don't really know what the name "Oshawott" is based off of for starters. I was thinking ocean, Ottawa, shore, wash, but I haven't come up with anything solid. Also, I noticed people messing up the name already, and calling it "Oshawatt". Anyway, I wonder what it will sound like in the anime. Would it say "osha osha" or "wott wott"? The former would sound pretty cute but the latter would sound terrible. Anyway, I'll try and get used to the name.

oshawottcopy.png
A misspelling with "watt"? How silly! It's not an electric type! :)

LimeStar

http://i54.*******.com/33ur41w.jpg
Hopefully fix'd.
I wasn't the only one with this idea :p

Status
Not open for further replies.