• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dracoste

Dracode telepateeeh!
Sounds like Hydrogen. The gas is lighter than air though and Sazandora's ability is Levitate, it could work.

Ok, learned something today^_^.

so Hydra + drei(German for 'three') + dragon + high + hydrogen. How punny of them to include so many puns.

That's really NoA's style, include as many puns as possible in a name, both obvious as not obvous. So that you can always be surprised by the names.

matt0044

Dracoste

Dracode telepateeeh!
Live Caster's a cool name too, through.

Yeah true, but it actually sounds so...well...simple. Cross receiver actually sounds a bit more awesome. And it also says what it does, the X is probably from that maximum 4 people can talk with it's others, or something similair to that.

Padfootismine

I thought Hydreigon would be pronounced: Hi-dray-gon?

I don't really get how you can find Concrete in Conkeldurr.....it doesn't exactly fit in conclusively does it? What's the kel part about? The name makes me think of Conkers....but he's not holding conkers. :S

It would be pronounced Hi-dry-gon because drei is German for three, and is pronouced Dry. ;)

I guess from the Con part?

Dracoste

Dracode telepateeeh!

Actually the whole "Conk" from concrete.

BCVM22 said:
Conk- from both "concrete" and "conk", as in "to conk someone over the head"; the whole line is holding pieces of construction material, ostensibly for the purposes of beating on opponents with them.

-eldurr from "elder", as the Pokémon is the third in its line and thus the eldest, and has a forehead wrinkle and a little grey goatee to go with that image of age.
Dracoste said:
The "conk" comes from concrete, it's holding two pillars made out of it. The "eldurr" comes from "elder", being the last on of the line.(BCVM22 actually explained it a few posts earlier(and on this very page)). So it's basically an elder holding concrete

Last edited:

Dracoste

Dracode telepateeeh!
i find desukan's english name really hard to pronounce, but i do like the newly released names

I think it's ponounced as Cough-a-gri-gus.

Yeah, it's nice to know all names already, there is ofcourse the posibility that some names could change ,the same happened in gen 1, then like a month before the releas Ny changed to Koffing and La changed towards Weezing. But I don't really see the names changing upon coming toward the release, most sound actuelly nice.

Last edited:

R_N

Well there's still another two months left, so there's always a possibility of last minute changes. Especially when it's just text.

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
It would be pronounced Hi-dry-gon because drei is German for three, and is pronouced Dry. ;)

It's two pre-evolved forms include the joke too :D german language ftw!

Yeah, I'm finding this gen's set particuarly hard to pronounce...it isn't just looking at the names and not being sure how to pronounce them...it's also when you know how to pronounce them, and they just sound akward in your mouth >__> I mean, the two syllables of 'Desukan' changed to 'cough-a-gree-gus?' Thanks for simplifying that for us, Ninty.

Umbreon9

It's been a while...
These names are weird, but some of them are fun to say. Like, for example...
Whimsicott! (Did I spell that right...?)
Whimsicott is one of my favorite Pokemon ever! Not only does its sprite look like it's saying "OMG!", its name is awesome!

Rikudo Sennin

Sage of the 6 Paths
I have to admit my first reaction to these was that they were definitely fake since at first glance most of them seemed so...awkward - not to mention Pignite was there, what a coincidence.
Now that I took the time to go through them all I have to admit they all do seem very well though-out for them to be fakes; a lot of them fit the pokemon well and are adequate translations, preserving both the original japanese meaning in an english way.

Now there's some really awesome names here like:
Mijumaru's and Monozu's lineup in general
CHANDELURE
Axew ->Haxorus (I love this one)

But I also have to say a few of them are somewhat disappointing.

Throh and sawk?
Pidove's evolutions?
Swoobat? (no shame there)

These will take some warming up, as expected, but overall i think they are fine.
Could have been much worse xDD

ryodragonite

Aura Fist
Well there's still another two months left, so there's always a possibility of last minute changes. Especially when it's just text.

Are they really allowed to do that?

The only name I really dislike is Axew. Kibago fit more because it pretty much meant fang. And plus since its one of the main pokemon it would keep its name like Pika did.

R_N

Are they really allowed to do that?

The only name I really dislike is Axew. Kibago fit more because it pretty much meant fang. And plus since its one of the main pokemon it would keep its name like Pika did.

Yes? Why wouldn't they? Like they presumably wouldn't change already announced names. But the localization process is probably still going on, draft checkings, seeing what may or may not work etc.

ryodragonite

Aura Fist
Yes? Why wouldn't they? Like they presumably wouldn't change already announced names. But the localization process is probably still going on, draft checkings, seeing what may or may not work etc.

But in two months I dont think they have enough time time to change it. With all of the other translations and stuff going on.

It just doesnt seem like a big enough deal.

R_N

But in two months I dont think they have enough time time to change it. With all of the other translations and stuff going on.

It's a line of text
Not even a line of text

And it's a whole team of people going at this. And who knows how old/recent the leaked list is

Don't forget the Icicle badge, either

Basically, I'm saying that it's possible (and 2 months would probably be enough time to make a minor change with ease), even if it isn't exactly likely.

Dracoste

Dracode telepateeeh!

Well, they did it in the first gen so why shouldn't they do it now, I'm not saying hey should, but they have the option.

Rikudo Sennin

Sage of the 6 Paths
People these things aren't decided a month before the game starts to be mass developed, this is something that is decided early on. You have to keep in mind it's not just "a line of text", the pokemon names encompass everything from Trading cards, promotional toys and most importantly the anime dub itself, which the dubbing company is most definitely working on already.
These all take a lot of time to produce, and aren't subject to some whim of the people to change, if the game is coming out in less than 2 months than you bet there is a lot of merchandise already in the works.
I doubt a multimillion dollar company like NoA is going to release names to "testdrive" them with the fans, and then change them due to public demand, it just doesn't happen.
if I had to guess these names - if they are indeed the official list - have been done several months prior to the announce of the first batch.
These wouldn't be just minor changes, it affects the whole franchise in general.

BCVM22

I don't think anyone here is unaware of that nor was anyone implying that this list was some sort of intentional "test leak" to gauge reaction. The point was made: this list, if it is real, could have been drafted by NoA in November.

ryodragonite

Aura Fist
Well, they did it in the first gen so why shouldn't they do it now, I'm not saying hey should, but they have the option.

Ok first I was going to say that it didnt say that they changed in in a few months, then I read on. It said that they made a change right before the game was released in Japan so now I guess I agree that they can be changed but Im not saying they will unless people go on a rampage.

It's a line of text
Not even a line of text

And it's a whole team of people going at this. And who knows how old/recent the leaked list is

Don't forget the Icicle badge, either

Basically, I'm saying that it's possible (and 2 months would probably be enough time to make a minor change with ease), even if it isn't exactly likely.

Really? What did they do with the Icicle badge?

I wonder what their going to name zuruggu?

Slowemperor

Villain in training
I was thinking if this list turns out to be real, in the next gen, every time a fake list of english names before release is "leaked" (it will happen) there will be someone saying "Remember that list back with Black and White in 2011?". This is might even become a pro-unconfirmed-leak argument for other things. But this woulds not be the first time such thing happens would it (looks at the starters evos who were "proved" to be fake, and I actually thought they were).

Status
Not open for further replies.