• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BW202

Onyx-ceptable!!!

Porygandrew

With the ... Kami Trio (is that what we're calling them?) there's going to be stuff on them in the next Nintendo Dream (like the stuff I translated last week) so maybe we'll get more of an idea of what they were thinking and so in regards to them.

Is it still canon if Word-of-God stuff isn't in the actual game/product? It just seems kind of skimpy to explain away things that can't be experienced.

Tyrannotaur

Tyranitar Trainer
Those weird gear pokemon were probably made by a bored person who had no ideas. They are so... Unoriginal.

How exactly are they unoriginal? Explain. They seem Original to me. We haven't had a gear pokemon yet. The line itself represent the progression of a simple machine (A gear) into a working complex machine. Seems pretty original to me.

-;248;

EpicKitten

Absol Lover
How exactly are they unoriginal? Explain. They seem Original to me. We haven't had a gear pokemon yet. The line itself represent the progression of a simple machine (A gear) into a working complex machine. Seems pretty original to me.

-;248;
Most pokemon are not exactly like an actual object. They are modified at least a little bit.

Tyrannotaur

Tyranitar Trainer
Most pokemon are not exactly like an actual object. They are modified at least a little bit.

I don't know of any Gears that have faces in the real world. Do you? Still not a just enough reason for them being unoriginal. Unoriginal would be if they replicated the same idea again. Pidove for example would be unoriginal if not for the gender differences.

-;248;

EpicKitten

Absol Lover
I don't know of any Gears that have faces in the real world. Do you? Still not a just enough reason for them being unoriginal. Unoriginal would be if they replicated the same idea again. Pidove for example would be unoriginal if not for the gender differences.

-;248;

I know gears don't have faces. I just don't think they put enough creativity into them. Just slapping a face onto a gear... Is that an original idea? It seems like they had no more ideas left so they had to use it as a last resort. Anyone could just slap a face onto a gear and call it a pokemon... Right? I mean, that's what you make it sound like.

Weaver_8

Down the rabbit hole
Klink, Klang, and Klinklang are awesome. There is something about the highly mechanical appearance they have that I just love. Sure I love nature and everything, but I also see great beauty in the industrial part of the world. Did you all know the shiny versions of these Pokemon are based off of copper gears? Klinklang the eternal motion Pokemon!

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Just a little thing I noticed...

180px-634Jiheddo.png
Spr_5b_634.png

Zweilous has little neck-growths on each neck in its Sugimori art, but not in its sprite? A little tiny nitpick but I always enjoyed looking for those tiny discrepancies...

What do you mean? I can see them...

But if you wanna talk discrepancies, Torterra's tree is on different sides in the sprite and in its art.

This was my first ever time being present at each stage of the release of a game, and I've got to say, I was shocked at the level of fandom hate. Has it really been that bad all along? I can just about understand fans whinging that pokemon is running out of ideas and becoming unoriginal (however untrue that might be) because we're over ten years into it nowadays - but how could anyone say that back in 3rd gen? That's just stupid. Pokemon was barely getting started back in the times of Hoenn!

It just saddens me to think that everytime the new games have come out, there's been all this stress and hate over them, which gradually subsided as people realised they were acting like d*cks and would have to learn to live with what they were given.

Admittedly though, not everyone was hating. It was great to feel the love when people heard about Hyrdeigon and Haxorus etc. And I did only join Serebii forums in the first place in a spasm of joy upon seeing Zorua and Zoroark and knowing new games were imminent :D All in all it's been a fun ride...but I might wait until at least the announcement of the western release before I zip to Serebii and follow the progression of a new game again. Life is just too short for all the 'it's fake! 'it's real!' 'it looks too much like another pokemon!' silliness.

I was here for the DP reveals, and I've heard plenty of stories about the RS reveals, and yes, it's always been that way. It's really quite interesting to hear some of these things now... Let's see what I can remember:

-The starters were widely believed to be fake
-Chatot was almost universally believed to be pure Flying.
-Anyone who dared suggest the Lucario was not a legendary was laughed at.
-Kricketot was speculated to be a Volbeat/Illumise pre-evo.
-Mantyke, Buizel, and Chatot were all revealed as silohuettes first. Pretty much everyone knew that the Mantyke shadow was a Mantine pre-evo. There was some really cool speculation art of the bird silohuette. I remember somebody suggesting the Buizel silohuette was a grass-type eeveelution.
-Buizel was called "Buoysel" for a long time. (Buoy + Weasel) If you ask me they should have kept that spelling.
-There were rumors of Dark/Fighting/Psychic starters, which is probably why everyone is obsessed with that "triangle" now. I will admit the fake starters were awesome; I totally would've gone with the Dark cat.
-There were way more fakemon floating around in DP's reveal era than BW's, but BW had more "rumors".
-A lot of people (me included) thought Drapion was a Gligar evo.
-People said Electivire looked like a bug-eyed alien.
-No one ever suspected Cherrim had another forme.
-Giratina was spelled "Guillotina". As in a guillotine.
-Burmy was revealed in its Grass forme and no mention was ever made that it had other formes until we actually got the game. Many people speculated it was a Pinceo pre-evo.
-Glameow was leaked on some merchanise (along with Happiny). I think it was cups or something. Anyway, some speculated it was realted to toys, it's tail being a spring and its head being a boomerang.
-The reveal era was MUCH longer than this one. Munchlax was revealed, then like a year later (or something like that) Lucario was revealed.

Ahhh.... good times. I wonder what people will remember about this gen's reveal era. ..
-The "Smugleaf" meme.
-The "Luvdisc evo".
-The fake Corocoro scan that even Serebii said was real.
-The Pokebeach Victini/theatre incident.
-The starter evo fiasco. The hatred.... the forensic image analyis... the reverse-fake confession.... That's just legendary.
-The huge amount of rumors and Pokejungle's rise to fame.
-And Melkor's twitter leaks.

Oh and who could forget this?

Last edited:

Kreis

Still Dirrty
I know gears don't have faces. I just don't think they put enough creativity into them. Just slapping a face onto a gear... Is that an original idea? It seems like they had no more ideas left so they had to use it as a last resort. Anyone could just slap a face onto a gear and call it a pokemon... Right? I mean, that's what you make it sound like.

When are people going to give up the "Nintendo is running out of ideas!" argument? People are getting paid to create ideas for Pokemon, endless ideas. There's even Pokemon created that have not been used yet. Did you know that Gastrodon was meant for 3rd generation, but instead it was used for the 4th? Simply because you believe that they're unoriginal and not to your standards, does not mean that they're out of ideas. Has it crossed your mind that perhaps the simplicity of Gear was done purposely? They could've added many, many things to it, but they purposely decided to stick to its simplicity. There are many Pokemon with the same simplicity as Gear has, and for you to single out this specific Pokemon line is ridiculous, considering the vast amount of simple Pokemon there are.

ForeverFlame

Wow these new Pokemon suck. What's with Ditto? So unoriginal. And its name is awful. Magnemite is just a clone of Klink. Gamefreak has run out of ideas!

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
does anyone have good ideas for a haxorus moveset? its kinda limited with normal and dragon level up moves. it does have earthquake as a tm, with rock slide, brick break, and aerial ace though.

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
They are definately not running out of ideas. In a recent Nintendo Power interview, Sugimori said that they create about three times as many Pokemon than actually go in the game.

Weaver_8

Down the rabbit hole
Wow these new Pokemon suck. What's with Ditto? So unoriginal. And its name is awful. Magnemite is just a clone of Klink. Gamefreak has run out of ideas!

Oh! I see what you did there. Funny!

ForeverFlame

They are definately not running out of ideas. In a recent Nintendo Power interview, Sugimori said that they create about three times as many Pokemon than actually go in the game.

And some of them are included in later generations, like Shellos (and arguably Munna - they at least came up with the idea in 1996, even if it wasn't designed until recently).

So you can't really say that Gamefreak's run out of ideas when some newer Pokemon were designed at the same time as Charizard and Pikachu.

Status
Not open for further replies.