• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AncientMew

Training since 1998
I'm pretty sure I did not, maybe it's a phrase used only in my locality, can any other northerners confirm this?

Anybody else wonder why they gave Terrakion, Virizion, and Cobalion the ability Justified? I get it, they're the three musketeers (which is which, by the way; I want to nickname them by who they're based off of) and stand up to the forces of evil, but that ability just isn't practical for Pokemon with their typing. All of them are Fighting-type (and one of them is also Steel-type), so what smart opponent is going to use a Dark-type attack against them in the first place? Their types already provide them with great defense against Dark attacks, so it's not like they need to worry about any real tough foes using Dark attacks on them.

PferdloverX3

Spirit of the Desert
Swoobat insists upon itself. It also faints a lot for some reason. Most of my Pokemon are sturdy enough so that they don't faint but Swoobat is an exception. It just faints too easily and I'm thinking of replacing it with something else. I need a Pokemon that can learn Fly so I'll do some research. I'm also thinking of replacing Serperior later on once I defeat the Elite Four. It wasn't such a good choice now that I look back. I think I should've just gone with my gut and chosen Oshawott instead of Snivy.

Have you thought about braviary?

Dracoste

Dracode telepateeeh!
so what smart opponent is going to use a Dark-type attack against them in the first place? Their types already provide them with great defense against Dark attacks, so it's not like they need to worry about any real tough foes using Dark attacks on them.

....hehehehehe....
Someone who wants to lower their health just in the red to capture them and know that dark attacks don't do much damage on a fight-type Pokémon
animesweat.gif

Cobalion=Athos
Terrakion=Porthos
Virizion=Aramis
Keldeo=d'Artagnan

R_N

Anybody else wonder why they gave Terrakion, Virizion, and Cobalion the ability Justified? I get it, they're the three musketeers (which is which, by the way; I want to nickname them by who they're based off of) and stand up to the forces of evil, but that ability just isn't practical for Pokemon with their typing. All of them are Fighting-type (and one of them is also Steel-type), so what smart opponent is going to use a Dark-type attack against them in the first place? Their types already provide them with great defense against Dark attacks, so it's not like they need to worry about any real tough foes using Dark attacks on them.

Switch in on a dark type attack or other such silliness

Naluc

I'm pretty sure the ability was meant to add flavor to the theme of the pokemon. They are stronger than the dark and will prevail vs darkness and all that good stuff.

Rakurai

The same logic could be applied to Pokemon with Volt Absorb, Water Absorb, Flash Fire, or any of those other absorption abilities.

The point is to switch into an attack and reap the benefits of your opponent's mistake, or exploit it in a multi-battle by having a teammate hit them with an attack to trigger the ability (Beat Up + Justified = maxed attack power at the expense of a tiny bit of HP).

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
Druddigon? I hate those things with a passion.
I know that's just your personal opinion, and I don't intend to do any trolling on you for that but...........I just NEED to say that I think Druddigon is beautiful....

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Have you thought about braviary?

Yes. I don't particularly like Braviary but I did think about using one a while back. I'm playing Black version so I'd need to trade for it. At the moment I'm not really doing too many trades since my Wi-Fi is weird but I suppose I could do that later on when that problem is solved. I figure that Braviary might fit my needs so I can go ahead and give it a try. The only bad thing about Braviary is that it reminds me of ArrogantShipping :c

I know that's just your personal opinion, and I don't intend to do any trolling on you for that but...........I just NEED to say that I think Druddigon is beautiful....

That's fine. I think Druddigon is a decent Pokemon and I was even considering adding it to my team at one point but I didn't want to wait until Icirrus City, so I decided not to use one. I don't think I've ever trained a non-Legendary Dragon-type Pokemon before so Druddigon might've been fun to train.

Cobalt_Latios

....hehehehehe....
Someone who wants to lower their health just in the red to capture them and know that dark attacks don't do much damage on a fight-type Pokémon
animesweat.gif

Cobalion=Athos
Terrakion=Porthos
Virizion=Aramis
Keldeo=d'Artagnan
Would I be ridiculed here (doubtful, but I'm just cautious that way :/) for saying that I knew of only d'Artagnan, and no one else? I know of the 3 Musketeers, but I never knew their names, and d'Artagnan is the only one who's name I know.

The same logic could be applied to Pokemon with Volt Absorb, Water Absorb, Flash Fire, or any of those other absorption abilities.
Yeah, I tend to forget that not every Electric type has static as an ability, or things like Vulpix/Ninetales and such have Flash Fire. Idiot move using Will-O-Wisp on one, then having my Chandelure be hit with that same move... and it has Flash Fire.

The point is to switch into an attack and reap the benefits of your opponent's mistake, or exploit it in a multi-battle by having a teammate hit them with an attack to trigger the ability (Beat Up + Justified = maxed attack power at the expense of a tiny bit of HP).
Out of all of them, Cobalion pretty much pulls this off without a hitch. Which makes me think; couldn't Lucario have gotten Justified? I would work wonders on it.

hmmm.... *checks main site*

How nice, it's DreamWorld ability is Justified. GF, once the DW is up and running, gimme a Justified Riolu.

Also... apparently since Dark Pulse is no longer a TM in BW, Lucario can get it now via Heart Scale. Awesome.

/CL

celebitrainer switched out Xatu!
celebitrainer sent out Terrakion!
The opponent's Tyranitar used Crunch!
oh boy here we go

That's how it works.

How nice, it's DreamWorld ability is Justified. GF, once the DW is up and running, gimme a Justified Riolu.

Nitpick, but Riolu's ability is Prankster. Priority Copycat + Circle Throw works... and I guess it's its only niche.

Last edited:

Cobalt_Latios

Nitpick, but Riolu's ability is Prankster. Priority Copycat + Circle Throw works... and I guess it's its only niche.
Oh, didn't even notice that.

Well, I suppose once it evolves the ability would change, right?

/CL

Anyone else feel they gave the starters the worst possible stat distributions for BSTs that high?

They basically made emboar a less extreme fire/fighting rampardos

Sabonea_Masukippa

Via Shell Spider (go look at the pretty drawings of Bianca and so on) from the latest copy of Nintendo Dream, we have what appears to be the last of the interviews about the Unovan Pokemon! Some interesting tidbits here and there.

Pokemon Designs
Sugimori was head director of Pokemon Designs.

Tornedus, Thundurus, Landorus
Masuda [BW Director] asked for Pokemon based on Fuujin and Raijin.
They weren’t completed until well into the second half of development.
Fuujin and Raijin are very close to looking human, so they thought hard about how to make them into Pokemon.
Asura statues etc have a really strong image so they asked the designer charged with making them to make their eyes really wide open or intimidating.
At first they were the Red Demon and the Blue Demon but that clashed with Sawk and Throh.
As a result, the horns that Nageki and Dageki originally had were removed and replaced with those eyebrows.
Landorus was added later, after there was a change made to the game.
The idea is to be like the god of soil.
Tornadus and Thundurus flow from their heads backwards, while Landorus flows from left to right, so the angle in their official art is different to set Landorus apart from the other two.

Mienfoo & Mienshao
From the planner’s point of view, there weren’t enough Fighting-types so they ask for these to be made. Because many of the previous Fighting-types have been human-shape, when they asked for an animal-like one, they got this design that’s like a stoat.
Because, up until now, there had been no Fighting-Type that used elements of Kung-Fu, they decided to include that.

Deino, Zweilous, Hydreigon
At first, these incorparted an army tank motif, and the marks that look like a conveyor belt on the upper part of Zweilous’s legs are the remnants of that.
Initially, they didn’t work as designs and were basically ‘put to sleep’, however, a three-stage powerful Dragon-type family was ordered and they were resurrected.
In the second half of development, there was discussion about making them a colour that was not used much in the Pokedex, and from all the candidates, a strong looking purple was chosen.
The motif for the line are Yamata no Orochi (mythical Japanese serpent with 8 heads), but actually giving it so many heads made it a little displeasing so they gave Hydreigon one ‘real’ head, and made its arms and wings look like it had many heads when in silhouette.
The ‘heads’ of Hydreigon’s are really hands and do not hold even the slightest bit of individual brain power.

Golett and Golurk
Designed by an Englishman [Translator’s note: James Turner]
This designer will write/draw many pages of details about a single Pokémon.
The metal (?) fixture on Golurk’s chest is sealing in uncontrollable power and Mr. Umino states that the seal looking like a band-aide is firmly intended and included as a part of the design.

Vanillite, Vanillish, Vanilluxe
Designed by the same Englishman.
He wanted to make them a ‘fusion’ evolution, like Dugtrio or Magneton, and suggested as such.
The idea is that Vanillite is a cup, Vanillish is a cone, Vaniluxe is a 2-scoop cone.
The ice on the upper sections of the body are simply covered in snow that looks like ice-cream but they have a proper ice-body hiding underneath.
There are designs of them with their snow completely removed, but these are yet to be released [Translator’s Note: Vanillite was seen without its snow in the 4-panel comics from one of the guidebooks]

Durant & Heatmor
Both designed by Sugimori (Sawk, Throh, Zekrom, Reshiram).
These two are a set based on an ant and an ant-eater
These two appear on Victory Road,
There was born from an idea that the ants have dug the cave and that the ant eaters have entered in order to hunt and eat them.
From a long time ago they wanted to make an ‘ant’ Pokemon be the smallest Pokemon but, this time the form had more importance placed on it.
Because Heatmor is eating steel, added the images of an ironworks into its design.

Tynamo, Eelektrik, Eelektross
Ohmura (Oshawott's line) came up with the idea.
He believed that turning an eel into a monster would look really strong and that belief was realised into a Pokémon.
He says that in the past, he caught a really huge eel in a nearby river and it was really disgusting, but that atmosphere was combined with the original strong image of the line.
The one closest to the original image of disgusting and strong is Eelektrik.
They thought of Tynamo because they wanted the line to mirror how a real eel grows up in the Pokemon’s evolution.

Rufflett & Braviary
The opposite of Mandibuzz.
Umino (Pansage, Pansear, Panpour) designed it early on in the development.
Because the region was based on New York, he instantly thought of a bald eagle.
Then, he tried adding the red, white and blue of the Star-Spangled Banner.
He wanted to make a Pokemon you knew was a bird of prey instantly, so he gave it powerful, thick legs and added elements of Native American art.
Rufflett has Native-American-style wings but he really like white-headed fluffy chicks so he basically made it into one of those.

Vullaby and Mandibuzz
Born quite late in development.
At the time the Englishman designed a bird Pokemon they had plenty, but they used his design as a counter-part to Braviary.
The bones on Vullaby are a nest made from the bones of other Pokemon, and Vullaby growns up inside of it.
When Mandibuzz is warming a Vullaby egg inside its nest, it matches the bones of Mandibuzz and look like it’s sitting on an upside-down skeleton.

Foongus & Amoongus
Foongus catches trainers who mistake it for a Pokeball, but for Amoogus, no one is going to mistake it for a Pokeball so they included that as part of its [Japanese] name. [Translator’s Note: Amoongus’s JPN name is Morobareru which includes a verb that means ‘to be uncovered/found out’]
The black dot in the centre of its face is its mouth and from there it spits out spores.

Ferroseed & Ferrothorn
They were made after an order for a Grass/Steel combo came in the second half of development.
They were designed by the same person as Foongus and Amoongus.
The planner’s suggested it be like a seed that attaches to clothing and things.
There’s an idea that there’d by many of them attached to rock faces.

Basculin
Born from the realization that they needed to make a relatively 'standard' Water-type Pokemon, which they didn’t originally have. Its designed to be a fish-type Pokemon that you could be eaten by.
It’s based on a Bass because you can fish for Bass in New York.
They made two forms because of the low number of fish-type Pokemon in the dex.

What is your favourite Unova Pokemon?
Sugimori: Dwebble & Emolga
Umino: Trubbish
Ohmura: Amoongus

That appears to be the end of all the interviews discussing the new Pokemon.

Last edited:
Mienfoo & Mienshao
From the planner’s point of view, there weren’t enough Fighting-types so they ask for these to be made.

...Is he kidding me.

The ‘heads’ of Hydreigon’s are really hands and do not hold even the slightest bit of individual brain power.

So it did lose a brain upon evolution? Creepy.

Dracoste

Dracode telepateeeh!
The motif for the line are Yamata no Orochi (mythical Japanese serpent with 8 heads), but actually giving it so many heads made it a little displeasing so they gave Hydreigon one ‘real’ head, and made its arms and wings look like it had many heads when in silhouette.

Wow, so Orochi has something to do with Hydreigon's design, I remember him from Okami. And the wings represents the other heads of a hydra. I would never though of that if I haven't read it. So...It actually has hand puppets:D

Vullaby and Mandibuzz
Born quite late in development.
At the time the Englishman designed a bird Pokemon they had plenty, but they used his design as a counter-part to Braviary.
The bones on Vullaby are a nest made from the bones of other Pokemon, and Vullaby growns up inside of it.
When Mandibuzz is warming a Vullaby egg inside its nest, it matches the bones of Mandibuzz and look like it’s sitting on an upside-down skeleton..

Ah, so that's why Vullaby wears a skull diaper when it gets born, that's actually pretty smart.

So it did lose a brain upon evolution? Creepy.

I don't think it loses a brain. Deino has one brain, and when it evolves into a Zweilous it's brain splits, each gets a half of the brain, and when Zweilous evolves those two halfes comes together. That's how I see it.

Last edited:

Sabonea_Masukippa

...Is he kidding me.

Apparently not. ;)

Although, I can see where they might have been coming from - if you take away legends and starters there's only 5 fighting families (Including Sawk + Throh seperately), 4 if you take away Mienfoo, in Unova and maybe they wanted the New York region have a lot of fighting types. For some reason.

Dracoste

Dracode telepateeeh!
Apparently not. ;)

Although, I can see where they might have been coming from - if you take away legends and starters there's only 5 fighting families (Including Sawk + Throh seperately), 4 if you take away Mienfoo, in Unova and maybe they wanted the New York region have a lot of fighting types. For some reason.

Perhaps for the E4? I don't know when they decided the types for the E4. And one of the fighters belong to Grimsley(Again, I don't know when they decided this) so that means that only three are left for Marshal. I'm very glad they said there were not enough Fighting type Pokémon, cause(IMO) Mienshao is one of the most awesome Fight-type Pokémon ever, it's so elegant and stuff!

Ice only has 3 5th gen lines(not counting legendarys) and that is enough for a gym leader. As gym leader you basicaly only need one line with 3 Pokémon(Morty)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.