• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I played my first Black with Serperior, and her movepool wasn't too bad. The dragon move was a nice addition to make her useful in the final gym...shame that mine happened to be Bold natured ^^;

You mean Dragon Tail? I dislike that move with a passion. It isn't the most accurate move in the world, plus it always hits last, so it doesn't come in handy very much, at least in my opinion. I've pretty much given up on Serperior. I thought it would be a good Pokemon to use, but it's very unreliable in my experience. I'll just train a Lilligant or a Whimsicott next.

PokemonOwn

Out of all the Grass types, I'm hoping I catch Maractus in my Nuzlocke run. I don't know, something just seems tempting about it. XD

Just cos' you want it to die I know, it's awesome!

Well, I'm going to do a JPN White walkthrough on Youtube. I know I'm using Oshawott, Maractus, Sawk, Emolga... What else, to balance my team? I'd like to use Pokemon that don't evolve. Possibly Litwick for Fire, and Karrablst for Bug. I'd quite like that.

Thoughts?

(Well, I'm not picking Larvesta for both, am I?)

Toge Tamer

<- First Radar Shiny
Just cos' you want it to die I know, it's awesome!

Well, I'm going to do a JPN White walkthrough on Youtube. I know I'm using Oshawott, Maractus, Sawk, Emolga... What else, to balance my team? I'd like to use Pokemon that don't evolve. Possibly Litwick for Fire, and Karrablst for Bug. I'd quite like that.

Thoughts?

(Well, I'm not picking Larvesta for both, am I?)
I think Heatmor / Litwick and Druddigon would be pretty nifty. c:

PokemonOwn

I think Heatmor / Litwick and Druddigon would be pretty nifty. c:

I really want to pick Heatmor, but it's too late in the game. Do you think I should trade after Gym 1? Same with Druddigon... Ah, I don't really like Litwick, so I'll go with Heatmor and Axew. Possibly.

Thanks!

Toge Tamer

<- First Radar Shiny
I really want to pick Heatmor, but it's too late in the game. Do you think I should trade after Gym 1? Same with Druddigon... Ah, I don't really like Litwick, so I'll go with Heatmor and Axew. Possibly.

Thanks!
I had that thought too, but I'm not really a Litwick / Darumaka fan so Heatmor was next best. I'd trade after the 1st gym if you can, but if you don't I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. Not many people use Heatmor. :>

R_N

Snowy - I'm planning to use a Lilligant in my White runthrough - what nature would you recommend? I was thinking Modest is probably good, or maybe giving her a speed boost with Timid is the way to go...?

You probably don't need the speedboost. When I was first picking out Petalil (I had two so I could trade for Cotonee) I wound up picking the one with the speed lowering nature thinking Lilli was a slow plant who clearly would never need a speedboost
(It still outsped virtually every opponent she went against)

Geekachu

Heatmor could make your walkthrough quite unique and different. And personally, I'd definitely choose Axew over Druddigon, Haxorus is a beast. Elsewhere, I'd be a little bit dubious about Maractus- its movepool isn't the best :/

Grei

not the color
Why in the world does an awkward cactus get Bounce

Lilligant sucks in game too. But not as bad as Maractus. Lilligant is weak against 4 gyms (6 if you count Chili and Elesa's Emolga's) That pretty much sucks.

You have never used Lilligant before and you're claiming it sucks? Like Snowy, my Lilligant is practically the star of my team in-game. She can dominate against every opponent.

And even against Pokemon she's weak against, she can put them to sleep, Quiver Dance to raise stats, and drain them before they wake up. She's a killing machine, even when she's up against something that is good against Grass-types.

Lilligant is arguably one the best Grass-types in this Gen. You admitted yourself that you have never used Lilligant, so kindly stop thinking that you have a clue what you're talking about.

Dattebayo

Banned
Rocky's right, Ferrothorn's the only good grass type this gen along with Sawsbuck and Simisage(with his trollish stats). The rest lack type coverage.

Dattebayo

Banned
Amoongus, too.

Lilligant is at least finding her place in RU

Which is bad because OU and UU are the current standard battles in the metagames. It just needs moves like Shadow Ball to get more usage. Also, like all types, Grass needs a plethora of moves to kick butt, and nobody likes using Pokemon who are only good at status-infliction problems. Plus they're needed to counter water/ground types like Swampert.

R_N

Which is bad because OU and UU are the current standard battles in the metagames. It just needs moves like Shadow Ball to get more usage. Also, like all types, Grass needs a plethora of moves to kick butt, and nobody likes using Pokemon who are only good at status-infliction problems. Plus they're needed to counter water/ground types like Swampert.

You act like RU will never go anywhere. Already I've seen far more people playing, stratigizing, and talking about RU than NU could ever dream of.

edit: Wait "nobody likes using Pokemon who are only good at status"? People love laying down status!

Last edited:

Dattebayo

Banned
You act like RU will never go anywhere. Already I've seen far more people playing, stratigizing, and talking about RU than NU could ever dream of.

Unless Smogon declares it a standard metagame like Uber and OU, then no.

edit: Wait "nobody likes using Pokemon who are only good at status"? People love laying down status!

While sweeping them with different moves at the same time.

R_N

Unless Smogon declares it a standard metagame like Uber and OU, then no.
Er.
It is a standard game. They made it and people take it seriously. After OU & UU settle down a little they're going to do suspect testing and everything.

Also funny that you use Ubers as an example of a standard metagame when it is literally just a playable banlist and oddly not that popular of a metagame.

Yeah things like Blissey sure do love...sweeping.

Aurath8

I'll post this again for emphasis:

Blissey/Chansey
Whimsicott

Blissey sometimes uses an attack but it can't even KO Dragonite with Ice Beam after Stealth Rock without some spatk EVs. Chansey only uses Seismic Toss to stop it from being Taunt fodder.
Whimsicott very rarely uses any attack thanks to priority Taunt stopping any oppossing Taunts.

Dattebayo

Banned
Er.
It is a standard game. They made it and people take it seriously. After OU & UU settle down a little they're going to do suspect testing and everything.

If it is, then why is it not being played more often as OU?

Also funny that you use Ubers as an example of a standard metagame when it is literally just a playable banlist and oddly not that popular of a metagame.

I remember someone mentioning Uber being a standard.

Yeah things like Blissey sure do love...sweeping.

But thanks to Psyshock and Psystrike, it's being used less. Players are now depending on using Pokemon with brute force to win, and type coverage will be needed.

R_N

If it is, then why is it not being played more often as OU?
Because it's OU? UU & Ubers are not played more often.

And RU just started up a little while ago.
I remember someone mentioning Uber being a standard.

Speaking of, now that I think of it, what on earth do you mean by being "standard." Standard usually refers to OU so far as I know because it's just that: The standard.
And then you also seem to refer to RU not being standard because it isn't used more than OU; but UU & Ubers aren't used more than OU so wouldn't that mean they aren't standard?
If they were, would that make OU not standard?

But thanks to Psyshock and Psystrike, it's being used less. Players are now depending on using Pokemon with brute force to win, and type coverage will be needed.

Not, not really?

Dattebayo

Banned
Because it's OU? UU & Ubers are not played more often.

Just shows you've haven't talked to any Smogon experts.

Speaking of, now that I think of it, what on earth do you mean by being "standard." Standard usually refers to OU so far as I know because it's just that: The standard.
And then you also seem to refer to RU not being standard because it isn't used more than OU; but UU & Ubers aren't used more than OU so wouldn't that mean they aren't standard?
If they were, would that make OU not standard?

From what I see, a standard metagame is basically how often it's being played by the users.

Aurath8

From what I see, a standard metagame is basically how often it's being played by the users.

That's quite vague. You say Uber is standard, but it isn't used as much as OU. You say it RU isn't standard but isn't used as much as OU. What defines a standard metagame?

Status
Not open for further replies.