• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dattebayo

Banned
That's quite vague. You say Uber is standard, but it isn't used as much as OU. You say it RU isn't standard but isn't used as much as OU. What defines a standard metagame?

I already told you, Any tier that's approved by Smogon experts based on usage. If more people play UU as much as OU for example, it becomes a standard metagame. But if one tier is not being used as often as Ou, then it's not part of the standard metagame.

Aurath8

So Uber and UU are, in fact, not part of the standard metagame by this definition which completely contradicts arguments you posted on the previous page.

Dattebayo

Banned
So Uber and UU are, in fact, not part of the standard metagame by this definition which completely contradicts arguments you posted on the previous page.

How are they not part of the standard metagame? I've heard many postitive reactions regarding those two tiers as if they've become part of the standard metagame with OU.

Aurath8

How are they not part of the standard metagame? I've heard many postitive reactions regarding those two tiers as if they've become part of the standard metagame with OU.

Uber and UU are used less than OU. Fact. You consider the most used tier to be standard. Uber and UU are not standard using your own logic.

Dattebayo

Banned
Uber and UU are used less than OU. Fact. You consider the most used tier to be standard. Uber and UU are not standard using your own logic.

But OU has a limited capacity, causing the rest of the OU worthy Pokemon moving into UU, which has now become part of the standard metagame. Just ask Kaiser soze.

Last edited:

R_N

But OU has a limited capacity, causing the rest of the OU worthy Pokemon moving into UU, which has now become part of the standard metagame. Just ask Kaiser soze.

But UU isn't standard in that sense and people don't play it more often just because there's more things in there.
OU is still the standard.

And I browse Smogon all the time, particularly the suspects and such. People don't really bring up Ubers, and when they do it's typically in a "how can we get more people to play this" sense (or trying to ban things out of the tier which is kind of silly). When people bring up UU, they usually say it's more varied and fun than OU, but not that it actually gets more usage overall.

R_N

Why are you guys talking about competitive stuff in here?

Serperior has an awful movepool -> Grass Pokemon suck -> No? -> Yes! The movepools are too shallow to be used -> Lilligant is awesome -> Not even in-game -> Especially in-game -> Grass Pokemon need more than just status for competitive -> Not really, even Lilligant is finding its home in RU -> RU ISN'T STANDARD -> Yes? -> No! -> But -> Not like UU/Ubers! -> But...

Dattebayo

Banned
Why are you guys talking about competitive stuff in here?

I was trying to defend you on how most of the grass types in Gen 5 are mediocre and why their status annoyance aren't enough.

rocky505

God dang it. Dattebayo started this I already know it >_<. If this is competitive then people on Smogon were saying petal dance sucks on Lilligant and that giga drain was the better choice. and the reasons were because Lilligant would get stuck in battle with Pokemon who would murder it like fire/flying types.

R_N

God dang it. Dattebayo started this I already know it >_<. If this is competitive then people on Smogon were saying petal dance sucks on Lilligant and that giga drain was the better choice. and the reasons were because Lilligant would get stuck in battle with Pokemon who would murder it like fire/flying types.

Yeah, the only real worth-while move of that type is Outrage and even then it's risky.

rocky505

Yeah but Pokemon with better stats and more bulk use Outrage.

NeohopeSTF

Sol Badguy
Suddenly A Stunfisk appears its one of the best 5th gen pokemon EVER!!

NeohopeSTF

Sol Badguy
Has anybody noticed that every pokemon has Competitive Potential?

Has anybody noticed that every pokemon has Competitive Potential?

I wouldn't say that. There are a lot of underused Pokemon that can be useful if used right, but there are still a lot that are just lost causes like Sunkern, Spinda, and Luvdisc. Even if you set them up, they'll be slightly below average at best.

Yeah, the only real worth-while move of that type is Outrage and even then it's risky.

They're all so ridiculously powerful that they're pretty reliable anyway.

NeohopeSTF

Sol Badguy
Whats the average then?

Status
Not open for further replies.