• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
Here's an interesting tidbit I just discovered.

(Take in mind I'm working on a r0m hack of white)

Zen Mode Darmanitan can actually be battled in the wild at full health.

ZMD actually acts like a different Pokemon all together, and Zen Mode just switches between the 2 Darmanitans.

Here's how it went. (In Desert Resort mind you, with Random Encounter ZMD)

a Wild Zen Mode Darmanitan appeared (In Zen Mode from the start), I protect 1st turn. As soon as ZMD takes damage from the sandstorm it reverts back to normal Darmanitan, and stayed that way, though I accidentally KO'ed it before knocking it down below 1/2 to see if Zen Mode would reactivate.

The statue Darmanitan are scripted to appear as Darmanitan-Normal with Zen Mode ability, which iirc, is seperate from ZMD in the games data.

So in short, they appear to be 2 seperate Pokemon, whose Name is the same in data, and the ability Zen Mode just switches between the 2 pokemon. The proof is in the sprite data. All Alt. Form Sprites are kept in a different .narc file than the Normal Pokemon Sprites. ZMD is in the same .narc as the normal Pokemon, right after Darmanitan-Normal iirc.

With that in mind, by theory, Zen Mode should work on any Pokemon. I plan to give it to a Darumaku. If my theory is correct, Zen mode should switch it to ZMD, and then to Darmanitan-Normal.

R_N

It works that way with any different form. All the rotoms, deoxys, even blue stripe Basculin!

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
which is strange, iirc in HGSSPlat. you couldn't force Rotom Alt. forms to happen as Random encounters, though they could be scripted as OW interaction battles, since they had index numbers.

Moneyy

INACTIVE
Anyone else think Pidgeotto looks better than Pidgeot?

No. But that was random, and not about new Pokemon.

Cofagrigus should have been Ghost/Rock, but they probably didn't do that because another Pokemon was already ghost/rock in this gen.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Cofagrigus should have been Ghost/Rock, but they probably didn't do that because another Pokemon was already ghost/rock in this gen.

Which Pokemon was Ghost/Rock? If you're talking about Golett and Golurk, they're Ground/Ghost.

Last edited:

Dattebayo

Banned
But giving Cofagrigus Ghost/Rock grants him more weaknesses, which means less use unless used in Sandstorm teams.

NeohopeSTF

Sol Badguy
its should have bean Ghost/FLying so Fly becomes a stab move. for Golurk

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
On the subject of these two, I like their unexpected typing but it would've been cooler if they were Ghost/Steel

I've heard people talk about that before. I think I remember reading that they were based on actual golems, so their type combination makes a lot of sense. Still, I can see why people would say that they should've been Steel-type Pokemon. They do look pretty robotic.

R_N

However, GameFreak does not make Pokemon with Smogon in mind, so this would not matter at all

Considering he's the physically defensive ghost, Rock typing would suit him even more.
I wonder what all this would do for him...
Resists:
Fire
Poison (x4 resist, but no one uses poison attacks)
Flying
Bug
Normal (Immune)
Fighting (Immune)

Weak to:
Water
Grass
Ground (Ouch)
Ghost
Dark
Steel

Yeesh, sucks for whoever gets the Ghost/Rock typing.

NeohopeSTF

Sol Badguy
A Ghost Rock sounds awesome. but i would want it be a New pokemon not a 5th gen
Also i can't wait for that Fire Dark Pokemon.

Grei

not the color
Considering he's the physically defensive ghost, Rock typing would suit him even more.

I know. I was pointing out that competitive play generally doesn't factor into designing Pokemon.

Snowyarticuno said:
I wonder what all this would do for him...
Resists:
Fire
Poison (x4 resist, but no one uses poison attacks)
Flying
Bug
Normal (Immune)
Fighting (Immune)

Weak to:
Water
Grass
Ground (Ouch)
Ghost
Dark
Steel

Yeesh, sucks for whoever gets the Ghost/Rock typing.

Luckily, a ghost rock doesn't make much sense in anything other than sarcophagus.

R_N

Well, non-clay Golems would also work. Maybe some haunted boulders. LIVING PYRAMIDS?!

Or something less obvious, gamefreak is pretty good at merging ideas.

Grei

not the color
Well, non-clay Golems would also work. Maybe some haunted boulders. LIVING PYRAMIDS?!

I dunno about haunted boulders. I mean... that implies that the boulder died. Or that a spirit possessed a... a rock.

Snowyarticuno said:
Or something less obvious, gamefreak is pretty good at merging ideas.

True. I hope, though, that any Ghost/Rock Pokemon has Levitate, Herbivore, Water Absorb, or something to make it not a punching bag. Maybe it can be an evolution for Shuckle and have insane defenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.